Steven Naismith Appreciation Thread

Rudy T

What a manger this lad is turning into.

Steely focus on building us into a great side. Never panics, never gets over excited just stays on the same path.

His in game management has been exceptional all season.

Even after the semi you could tell he knew we weren’t far away and firmly has them in his sights for next season.

And let’s not forget this is his first season, for someone that’s supposed to be still learning he’s schooled a few old heads this season.

The pressures of Europe are really going to test him next season but at least he’s had a taste of a few games this season. 

Might have been a huge slice of luck how he got the gig and we could’ve went a different route but we’ve landed on our feet with this guy!

• Replies 234
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Bazzas right boot

• kingantti1874

• Ricardo Quaresma

• GorgieFifeLife

Bull's-eye

I'd give the board more credit for toughing it out while a considerable amount amongst us where wetting their pants.

Is Naisy a good manager?

We've had a decent Par season, i want and expect better next and beyond.

So, doing the job adequately with no frills for me.

Gorgie_Rules

One of his biggest achievements is the number of players he has improved. Across the season Clark, Kingsley, Hoff, Forrest, Grant, Vargas and recently Devlin to name a few have become better more consistent players.

Exciting to see Dhanda, Spittal, Penrice and potentially Lewis Neilson integrated next season.

kingantti1874

Is going to go very far, enjoy him whilst he is here becuase he will already have suitors.

thankfully, I think he is intelligent enough to realise he still has a lot to learn and this is as good a place as he will find to cut his teeth.  We will have him for at least another couple of seasons yet imo. 

Gorgie_Rules
25 minutes ago, Bull's-eye said:

I'd give the board more credit for toughing it out while a considerable amount amongst us where wetting their pants.

Is Naisy a good manager?

3rd place and semi final in both cups isn’t a par season for Hearts, its very good if you look at things historically. Cut the guy some slack.

scottg71

I think we’ve got a top manager at the start of his career. Enjoy it while it lasts. 

kingantti1874
29 minutes ago, Bull's-eye said:

Is Naisy a good manager?

Par isn’t imagined it’s something that’s earned.  

Clear third, 2 semi finals, on track for our best points record in over a decade and best away record for over 30 years, righting some wrongs e.g Celtic in your first season as a manager isn’t par imo.  I’d like it to be par but that a fantasy. 

of course we all want and expect to get better still. 

Edited by kingantti1874

I think this is the start of something with Naismith at the helm.

He has noted our deficiencies and is looking to remedy them this season. Next season I am confident he will put his stamp further on the team. 

Another poster alluded to the JJ tenure I hope that’s the case. 

Bob Loblaw
3 minutes ago, kingantti1874 said:

Clear third, 2 semi finals, on track for our best points record in over a decade and best away record for over 30 years, righting some wrongs e.g Celtic in your first season as a manager isn’t par imo.  I’d like it to be par but that a fantasy. 

Was going to respond to the par comment but you've summed it up well. This is clearly an above par season, especially compared to the last 10 years or so. 

The away record especially sticks out.

Bob Loblaw
2 minutes ago, Bad Religion said:

Excited to see who he signs in the transfer window. 

Same. He seems to have a clear idea of where we can improve, let's see if we can address those areas.

Bazzas right boot

Continued to build on a fairly strong foundation. 

He's Sorted our defensive issues out and has made us more resilient- our away form is testament to that. We've made sure the odd goal has fallen in in our favour and that's been consistent. 

Our style hasn't changed too much imo and if anything we're a bit more Conservative. 

Our home games have actually been a little bit more dull- not many big wins, but with our away form being good overall we have improved. 

It's important we build on this season with good transfers as last season we never done that, we ignored glaring issues in midfield,  defence and rb ( not helped by injuries).

Very good first season and he's built on strong foundations, the challenge is that consecutive 3rd place finishes- I'd expect a stronger hibs and Aberdeen next season,  we need to do well in the transfer market to keep 3rd- I think we will.

The good thing is that even during poor performances or results the extreme reactions are less, he's united the support more and gets more leeway than the guy he replaced,  that's a good thing.

Edited by Bazzas right boot

SM Sheffield

There are lots of positives for me. Some improvements to make too but it is mostly very positive and Naismith deserves huge credit.

We have had a huge improvement in away form.

Made two semi finals in the cup and we are strolling to a comfortable 3rd place finish.

Knocking Rosenborg out of Europe was a great achievement.

Several players in the team look to have improved under his leadership and he is bringing through young players too like Tait and Denholm who have contributed.

Wins against Celtic including in Glasgow.

Positive steps made recruitment wise for next season bringing in the best players from 3 teams on pre contracts.

We look comfortable playing two systems and can change things up depending on opponent. 

And most importantly I think Naismith knows where we need to improve too. It feels good being a Hearts fan right now and I am confident the club is in good hands on and off the pitch. 

RustyRightPeg
34 minutes ago, Bull's-eye said:

Is Naisy a good manager?

😂😂😂😂😂

Best away form in forever, comfortably third, two semi finals, blooding youngsters into the first team, countless comebacks and having a team capable of playing in 2 or 3 formations. 

All in his first season in charge. 

Nothing to cheer about. 

Bazzas right boot
9 minutes ago, Gorgie_Rules said:

3rd place and semi final in both cups isn’t a par season for Hearts, its very good if you look at things historically. Cut the guy some slack.

It's been about par recently,  3rd, 4th, 3rd with cup finals also reached. 

Bull's-eye
2 minutes ago, Bob Loblaw said:

Was going to respond to the par comment but you've summed it up well. This is clearly an above par season, especially compared to the last 10 years or so. 

If the club and supporter expectations are 3rd place and Hampden visits, then on Par is the correct term.

EH11 2NL
7 minutes ago, Bob Loblaw said:

As was I, then thought there's no point. Moronic comment to make for anyone that's followed Hearts for more than the last 3 seasons. 

Bull's-eye
2 minutes ago, RustyRightPeg said:

😂😂😂😂😂

Best away form in forever, comfortably third, two semi finals, blooding youngsters into the first team, countless comebacks and having a team capable of playing in 2 or 3 formations. 

All in his first season in charge. 

Nothing to cheer about. 

All things i expect from a coach doing an adequate job with the tools he has at his disposal.

If this is Naismith peak I'd rather he did his training elsewhere if im honest.

Go for it 1308
8 minutes ago, Bazzas right boot said:

Continued to build on a fairly strong foundation. 

He's Sorted our defensive issues out and has made us more resilient- our away form is testament to that. We've made sure the odd goal has fallen in in our favour and that's been consistent. 

Our style hasn't changed too much imo and if anything we're a bit more Conservative. 

Our home games have actually been a little bit more dull- not many big wins, but with our away form being good overall we have improved. 

It's important we build on this season with good transfers as last season we never done that, we ignored glaring issues in midfield,  defence and rb ( not helped by injuries).

Very good first season and he's built on strong foundations, the challenge is that consecutive 3rd place finishes- I'd expect a stronger hibs and Aberdeen next season,  we need to do well in the transfer market to keep 3rd- I think we will.

The good thing is that even during poor performances or results the extreme reactions are less, he's united the support more and gets more leeway than the guy he replaced,  that's a good thing.

More leeway than Neilson?🤔

Bull's-eye
Just now, EH11 2NL said:

As was I, then thought there's no point. Moronic comment to make for anyone that's followed Hearts for more than the last 3 seasons. 

Absolutely no idea what previous seasons have to do with anything.

Expectation by everyone was 3rd and good cup runs, job done, happy days, but still only adaquate.

If we where 4th there would be a clamour for the managers head.

westbow

Outwith actually winning a cup, this is probably our high tide mark. I have seen three vintage Hearts sides in 50 years- 1988 and 2006 when we split the OF and 1998 when we ran out of steam but won a cup. This is no way near a vintage side but with our budget as it is, this is pretty good. I really don't think we could ask for more in a rookie season. Next season will be interesting to see how he copes with European football and a possible resurgence of Aberdeen and Hibs.

mscjambo

Think he's growing into the job. McInnes admitted Naismith did him tactically first half. Like how he talks and what he demands from the group. 

His mentality I think is rubbing off. He's changing how guys play. Devlin for example. We look better coached and drilled. Solid defending set pieces....hope the growth continues 

Bazzas right boot
Just now, Go for it 1308 said:

More leeway than Neilson?🤔

From certain  sections of our support, a average record v hibs and defeats to the likes to Ross county would ( did ) have folk calling for sackings .

If we'd scored this amount of goals under Bob there would  be folk swinging from the ceiling banging on about boring football. 

It's a good thing tho, the most rabid are a bit more balanced, less agitation.

There will be bumps in the Road under Naismith,  it's good the rage element is not itching for change.

Bazzas right boot
6 minutes ago, Bull's-eye said:

Expectation by everyone was 3rd and good cup runs, job done, happy days, but still only adaquate.

Can't argue with that.

Edited by Bazzas right boot

1971fozzy

He has been absolutely brilliant. Huge strides this season. Massive.   Thank goodness

1 hour ago, Bull's-eye said:

Is Naisy a good manager?

Clear in third, two semi-final appearances, best away record for years, best overall position run for years and third year in a row qualifying for Europe - for the first time ever.

This has been an exceptional season on every measure.

4marsbars

He's been really solid. And I love that. Just what we needed. Hope he stays for decades.

RustyRightPeg
31 minutes ago, Bull's-eye said:

All things i expect from a coach doing an adequate job with the tools he has at his disposal.

It’s his first full season. How can you say he’s hit his peak? 😂

Has he shagged your Mrs or something?

Now he’s studying for his Euro coaching badge, I expect some continental football when in Europe this season. Joking aside, thought yesterday was a good example of how we can play, if he can bring in some decent quality in this window then we will be even better 

kingantti1874
40 minutes ago, Bull's-eye said:

🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

just when you think we hit rock bottom. 

all things you’d expect, in your head, which has no bearing on reality. 

Bunny Munro

It's been a great season, and it's not hard to see where we could get even better.

kingantti1874
38 minutes ago, Bull's-eye said:

Would be a clamour by morons frankly.

We operate on a very similar budget to our 2 closest rivals Aberdeen and hibs. but 3rd is both the best we can hope for and the minimum?

What a gig, nearly impossible to achieve above the minimum, told your average if you hit the mark in style  and fired if your 4th . 

Absolute Scenes

I love baldy Steve

jason statham has posters of Naismith on his wall

Parttimer1874

We’ve “achieved” the minimum we should given our relative budget. 

kingantti1874
Just now, Parttimer1874 said:

We’ve “achieved” the minimum we should given our relative budget. 

so what’s the maximum given our relative budget then? 

what is Aberdeens ambition given their playing budget this season was higher and they spent more in the summer. 

Jambo92

Handles himself extremely well in media which is a massive part of the game up here. Experience at Rangers and Everton gives a bit of aura too.  Given a bit of time and money to spend, I wouldn't be shocked if he turned into a top top manager that were begging to stay in the future.

Bull's-eye
Just now, kingantti1874 said:

what is Aberdeens ambition given their playing budget this season was higher and they spent more in the summer. 

Talking Shite and looking for a fight as usual i see.

What Aberdeens budget has to do with  Hearts is beyond most sane minds.

The supporters and club expressed a desire to get 3rd and play at Hampden. Thats exactly what we've achieved under Naismith's tenure.

So to simplify it for you as you seem to require the simple explanation.

1st Orgasmic

2nd Great

3rd Average

4th Poor

Below, sacked.

soonbe110
2 hours ago, sac said:

Now he’s studying for his Euro coaching badge, I expect some continental football when in Europe this season. Joking aside, thought yesterday was a good example of how we can play, if he can bring in some decent quality in this window then we will be even better 

Agree, yesterday was as good an away performance as we have put in for a long time.  Just a goal or two missing. 

AlphonseCapone
2 hours ago, kingantti1874 said:

Well said.

2 hours ago, Bull's-eye said:

If the club and supporter expectations are 3rd place and Hampden visits, then on Par is the correct term.

On par is nothing to do with expectations, it's to do with performance. If I play a 3 par hole at golf but expect to do it in 4 shots, I can't claim it was on par after 4 shots because it matched my expectations.

Hearts finishing 3rd, 4th then 3rd in 3 seasons is a recent statistical outlier. Our recent cup runs have been more consistent than previous years. The fact some of our fans expect more is neither here nor there because except a cup win every now and then, this is as good as it gets as a Hearts fan unless something unforeseen happens to Celtic or Rangers or Scottish football. Some call that settling, the rest call it realism.

Rocky jamboa

He's had an excellent first season. He's made a huge difference to us and it's far more enjoyable to watch. He's improved a number of players in the team. 

You can't really ask for much more than a comfortable 3rd place finish and semi finals of both cups, knocked out by rangers in both, with multiple times our budget.

Talks sense in his interviews, unlike the dross neilson came out with. You can tell Naismith is a proper football person. 

I hope the club give him what he wants to take us to the next level in the summer. 

kingantti1874
7 minutes ago, Bull's-eye said:

Talking Shite and looking for a fight as usual i see.

What Aberdeens budget has to do with  Hearts is beyond most sane minds.

The supporters and club expressed a desire to get 3rd and play at Hampden. Thats exactly what we've achieved under Naismith's tenure.

So to simplify it for you as you seem to require the simple explanation.

1st Orgasmic

2nd Great

3rd Average

4th Poor

Below, sacked.

I’ll pick a fight with anyone talking absolute pish.  But I’ll contain it t lo the topic and have forgotten about it by tomorrow.  Hopefully you can do the same, you seem to remember my posts more than I remember yours.

Just so we are clear, I understand your laughable post. I just think it’s the thought process of a window licker.

Aberdeen’s budget is relevant, unless you think we have some divine right to finish above them.  We do not, it has to be earned, they have the same expectation we do as do hibs.  

Our record over my 44 of life suggests that 3rd with games to spare and 2 semi finals is in fact clearly above average for hearts.  

1st is impossible, 2nd incredibly unlikely.  I wish it was not the case, I wish above third was a reasonable expectation.  It is not and never will be unless we did another £30m per season to splash on players 

Edited by kingantti1874

Parttimer1874
13 minutes ago, kingantti1874 said:

I’ve got no idea what the maximum is but finishing third is meh and exactly where our budget suggests we should be. Semi finals aren’t good enough though. We’re long overdue a trophy. 

kingantti1874
7 minutes ago, Parttimer1874 said:

I’ve got no idea what the maximum is but finishing third is meh and exactly where our budget suggests we should be. Semi finals aren’t good enough though. We’re long overdue a trophy. 

I’ll help.  The MAXIMUM is third barring a total miracle.

winning a cup when playing with 1/5 the budget is entirely down to luck on the day.

Our budget is closer to airdrie than rangers by a along long way.

Edited by kingantti1874

3 hours ago, Bull's-eye said:

Is Naisy a good manager?

Trust you to give the board more credit than the manager :laugh:

Friends in high places and want to keep them sweet when they read your comments? :whistling:

Parttimer1874
4 minutes ago, kingantti1874 said:

I’ll help.  The MAXIMUM is third barring a total miracle.

winning a cup when playing with 1/5 the budget is entirely down to luck on the day.

Our budget is closer to airdrie and rangers by a along long way.

St Johnstone have won three major trophies since we last won anything of significance.

Forgive me if I don’t crack the champagne open at finishing best of the rest and getting horsed in two semi finals. 

The Real Maroonblood
1 minute ago, Parttimer1874 said:

St Johnstone have won three major trophies since we last won anything of significance.

Forgive me if I don’t crack the champagne open at finishing best of the rest and getting horsed in two semi finals. 

Fair comment.