energy prices

Masonic

13 minutes ago, WorldChampions1902 said:

As I predicted on the previous page 24 hours ago, the revised analyst projections have breached the £6k mark. Just how much higher can it go?

Who knows but it should kill the housing market to a degree, first time buyers in particular will need a second mortgage to pay the gas / leccy & council tax. 

• Replies 4.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ri Alban

• Jambo-Jimbo

• Unknown user

• Victorian

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

15 minutes ago, WorldChampions1902 said:

As I predicted on the previous page 24 hours ago, the revised analyst projections have breached the £6k mark. Just how much higher can it go?

It'll already be beyond the means of many people long before it reaches £6k, as someone said to me today, what are they going to do, when people can't pay their bill, they're not likely to cut everybody off especially during the winter, and I doubt they have millions of pre-payment meters just laying about, besides it would take years to fit them all anyway.  It'll not be like people are refusing to pay, it'll be that many people haven't got the ability to pay that kind of money.

SwindonJambo
1 hour ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

It'll already be beyond the means of many people long before it reaches £6k, as someone said to me today, what are they going to do, when people can't pay their bill, they're not likely to cut everybody off especially during the winter, and I doubt they have millions of pre-payment meters just laying about, besides it would take years to fit them all anyway.  It'll not be like people are refusing to pay, it'll be that many people haven't got the ability to pay that kind of money.

It’s absolutely OTT ridiculous. If there isn’t robust Government intervention for both domestic and business customers then we’re heading for large scale Civil Unrest.  Meanwhile the Energy Companies are making obscene profits and paying their senior staff obscene rewards for simply being in the right place at the right time. Surely time for a windfall tax then stop it if/when prices fall to a reasonable level.

4 hours ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

15% of small to medium sized businesses fear they may close or have to downsize due to the cost of energy, the Federation of Small Businesses says.

https://news.sky.com/story/small-businesses-teetering-on-the-brink-as-energy-prices-soar-federation-of-small-businesses-warns-12677440

Further down the same article, Auxilione have updated their prediction of how much the average household will be paying come April.

Auxilione, an independent energy consultancy, today predicted the price cap could reach £3,576 in October, rising to £4,799 in January, and finally hitting £6,089 in April.

That's a disaster. Then the knock on effect. Suppliers etc etc. 

Jambof3tornado
1 hour ago, SwindonJambo said:

It’s absolutely OTT ridiculous. If there isn’t robust Government intervention for both domestic and business customers then we’re heading for large scale Civil Unrest.  Meanwhile the Energy Companies are making obscene profits and paying their senior staff obscene rewards for simply being in the right place at the right time. Surely time for a windfall tax then stop it if/when prices fall to a reasonable level.

I think intervention will come,if they thought we all needed £400 and some council tax money back with the 1st rise, these subsequent increases cant go ahead without some sort of benefit/payment.

As for the daily updates on what analysts predict, its becoming a bit of a joke that every prediction for the last 3 months has been gazumped!!!

1 hour ago, SwindonJambo said:

If the government don't come up with something serious to help people, then yes I can see major civil unrest, and tbh I wouldn't blame anybody, after everything that's been going on over the last 2 or 3 years, people are at breaking point and have had enough, and it's time the government got off it's arse and done something.

What I don’t understand is when gas prices get up to that level, it must be because it’s in such short supply - suppliers bidding higher and higher amounts for a limited volume of gas - so are we looking at rationing?

This is a London trauma surgeon. What's it going to be like come October? 

Grim country this. We've filleted mental health support, turned the DWP into an incredibly and deliberately hostile department and stressed the NHS to breaking point.

I wonder who will be the first idiot MP to turn-up to an official opening of a "warmbank", just like the well-fed arseholes who gleefully cut open the ribbon on a new foodbank... 

Doctor FinnBarr

We're council house tennants and I've had mental health issues over the last year or so. Therapist told me to do something positive for myself so I did, I bought us a static caravan in March which pretty much doubled my housing rent. But now I'm wondering with energy price rises how long I can hold onto the van, no doubt if I sell back to the park it'll be at a loss to me.

Spent pretty much every day off there since we bought it, can get a train into Tynie easily,owls  hooting outside at night. What do I get in Blackburn? Car doors slamming as drug buyers arrive and leave!

2 hours ago, FinnBarr Saunders said:

We're council house tennants and I've had mental health issues over the last year or so. Therapist told me to do something positive for myself so I did, I bought us a static caravan in March which pretty much doubled my housing rent. But now I'm wondering with energy price rises how long I can hold onto the van, no doubt if I sell back to the park it'll be at a loss to me.

Spent pretty much every day off there since we bought it, can get a train into Tynie easily,owls  hooting outside at night. What do I get in Blackburn? Car doors slamming as drug buyers arrive and leave!

Cheaper to sell the Hoose.

You'd think the government would say"you can make profits, but not this " Tax them to the eyeballs. Make them, pay.

il Duce McTarkin
6 hours ago, FinnBarr Saunders said:

Keep the van as long as you can, bud. Everyone needs a sanctuary.

Nucky Thompson
9 hours ago, FinnBarr Saunders said:

If the park is anything like the one I'm on, they'll offer you a pittance to buy the van back

Unknown user
18 hours ago, ri Alban said:

Why don't they scrap VAT for 12 months.

Basic Universal credit is a maximum of £4018 per person.

Scraping VAT does **** all.

Unknown user
9 hours ago, FinnBarr Saunders said:

Careful mate, you'll be all the ***** under the sun for having a council house and not being deemed worthy by our resident tories.

22 minutes ago, Smithee said:

Basic Universal credit is a maximum of £4018 per person.

Scraping VAT does **** all.

Makes things a lot cheaper. Especially fags and booze. :smoking: :olly:

24 minutes ago, Smithee said:

Careful mate, you'll be all the ***** under the sun for having a council house and not being deemed worthy by our resident tories.

That's quite weird, I actually can't believe what I'm reading with some. Cut back this, cut back that. How about the ***** that are robbing us cit back on their £4m salaries and £100,000+ Bonuses. 

That auld pensioner is buying fags :yadayada: And has a telly.

Edited by ri Alban

44 minutes ago, FinnBarr Saunders said:

Don't think the council would be pleased.

:jj_facepalm:I missed that bit, but feck it :whistling:

Unknown user
17 minutes ago, ri Alban said:

Makes things a lot cheaper. Especially fags and booze. :smoking: :olly:

I don't smoke or drink, o me miserum :(

Unknown user
15 minutes ago, ri Alban said:

:jj_facepalm:I missed that bit, but feck it :whistling:

That old Billy Connolly joke -

"What would you get if you sold your house?"

"About 5 years"

5 minutes ago, Smithee said:

That old Billy Connolly joke -

"What would you get if you sold your house?"

"About 5 years"

:D

6 minutes ago, Smithee said:

I don't smoke or drink, o me miserum :(

Aye but... You have a fridge. Get your billed payed before you buy any household goods. I wonder if these ***** say this in public. Not to their wee pals, the actual general public. 

SwindonJambo
14 hours ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

If the government don't come up with something serious to help people, then yes I can see major civil unrest, and tbh I wouldn't blame anybody, after everything that's been going on over the last 2 or 3 years, people are at breaking point and have had enough, and it's time the government got off it's arse and done something.

Kwasi Kwarteng, current Business Secretary and probably a shoo in to be Chancellor under Truss (It won’t be Sunak!) says the Treasury are working on something for the next PM. What that amounts to  remains to be seen.

15 hours ago, Jambof3tornado said:

I think intervention will come,if they thought we all needed £400 and some council tax money back with the 1st rise, these subsequent increases cant go ahead without some sort of benefit/payment.

As for the daily updates on what analysts predict, its becoming a bit of a joke that every prediction for the last 3 months has been gazumped!!!

Yup. The constant gazumping of predictions is pretty scary.

There are things we can all do (or at least most of us) to reduce energy consumption such as lowering temperature by a degree or 2, not heating rooms unnecessarily, switching off devices on standby etc. I got a smartmeter last year after resisting getting one for years and I’ve found it to be  a very good tool for identifying  electricity guzzlers. I replaced my inefficient old fridge freezer within weeks of getting it, plus an old strip light and that’s made a big difference.

However, even doing all those things robust Government intervention is still needed.  It goes against Tory party dogma but even they now realise they have to do something if they want to avoid mass hardship/civil disorder. Inaction will cost them votes too, which should focus their minds.

42 minutes ago, SwindonJambo said:

Kwasi Kwarteng, current Business Secretary and probably a shoo in to be Chancellor under Truss (It won’t be Sunak!) says the Treasury are working on something for the next PM. What that amounts to  remains to be seen.

Yup. The constant gazumping of predictions is pretty scary.

There are things we can all do (or at least most of us) to reduce energy consumption such as lowering temperature by a degree or 2, not heating rooms unnecessarily, switching off devices on standby etc. I got a smartmeter last year after resisting getting one for years and I’ve found it to be  a very good tool for identifying  electricity guzzlers. I replaced my inefficient old fridge freezer within weeks of getting it, plus an old strip light and that’s made a big difference.

However, even doing all those things robust Government intervention is still needed.  It goes against Tory party dogma but even they now realise they have to do something if they want to avoid mass hardship/civil disorder. Inaction will cost them votes too, which should focus their minds.

Without government intervention, there is the very real possibility, no, probability that if the predicted price rises come into effect, then a bill which is £100 today will be £300 next summer for the exact same usage. 

£300 energy bills in the summer ffs.

"scrap VAT" "lower income tax"

Pishing around with this stuff isn't going to do anything.

Prices are rising FAR faster than the impact of these taxes and reducing tax intake makes the government LESS able to actually help those that need it.

All that cutting tax does is makes the already well-off even better off without actually helping those in need.

Konrad von Carstein
On 18/08/2022 at 14:29, Smithee said:

You were reminding me of my dad in the 70s 😅

Were you born in a bloody field?

Ok, but 10 minutes, and only 1 bar

Put another jumper on then!

It's blowing a gale in here, shut the bloody door!

Etc.

My dad can smell a thermostat dial being turned in his sleep.

On 18/08/2022 at 14:46, jack D and coke said:

:lol: I getcha…I’d had a couple last night by then..

Im pure turning into my old man harassing her oot the shower after 10-15 mins and constantly on about switching shit off. 

Dad can we put the heating on? Whit?!? It’s like a kiln in here already🤣

Are, are we brothers? :lol:

You are both describing traits very (very) similar to those possessed by my old man.

New government plan: get GPs to prescribe lower bills.

No, seriously.

Means testing to see if you're worth saving from your lack of heating in the winter.

9 minutes ago, Cade said:

No, seriously.

Means testing to see if you're worth saving from your lack of heating in the winter.

It just tells you they have no ****ing clue at all what to do or more likely are unwilling to do as it would upset their real paymasters

13 minutes ago, Cade said:

No, seriously.

I had to laugh when I heard that one earlier, so what's the qualification for money off, the number of frostbitten fingers & toes you have, notwithstanding how the hell are you supposed to get an appointment with a GP to start with and by the time you actually get seen weeks/months later your feet will have already fallen off.

They've fecking lost the plot.

Jambof3tornado
5 minutes ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

The worst of it is, assuming that it's not some drunken pisstake, somebody within govenment thinks this is good idea.

Worse still they are being paid a good wage to think up garbage like that!!!!

5 hours ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

Without government intervention, there is the very real possibility, no, probability that if the predicted price rises come into effect, then a bill which is £100 today will be £300 next summer for the exact same usage. 

£300 energy bills in the summer ffs.

I’ve got gas heating, hot water /shower and a gas hob. 
The electric is fridge/freezer (and a freezer in the garage - both are less than 2 years old).  I do most of the washing at 30c - washing machine’s used 3/4 times a week.  Don’t use a tumble drier or dishwasher and I’m pretty good at turning out lights & nothing on ‘standby’

Electric bill is still about £60 / month.  Can’t get it any lower and I’m expecting it’ll be >£100 in the winter. Goodness knows what the gas bill will be.  Genuinely quite worried about this.  Was supposed to be having a wee holiday (U.K.) in the autumn but have cancelled it.  

Edit:  The standing charge is £15/ month which annoys me because there’s nothing you can do to ‘save’ that.

Edited by FWJ

37 minutes ago, FWJ said:

The electric is fridge/freezer (and a freezer in the garage - both are less than 2 years old).  I do most of the washing at 30c - washing machine’s used 3/4 times a week.  Don’t use a tumble drier or dishwasher and I’m pretty good at turning out lights & nothing on ‘standby’

Electric bill is still about £60 / month.  Can’t get it any lower and I’m expecting it’ll be >£100 in the winter. Goodness knows what the gas bill will be.  Genuinely quite worried about this.  Was supposed to be having a wee holiday (U.K.) in the autumn but have cancelled it.  

Edit:  The standing charge is £15/ month which annoys me because there’s nothing you can do to ‘save’ that.

Standing charge...another buttock cheek parter...bosh! take that you peasants, feck all you can do about it if you want heat and cook something to eat.

Wonder how high the ceiling will go before the majority of Brits snap out of this constant shafting trance?

Edited by OBE

The Real Maroonblood
39 minutes ago, FWJ said:

The Standing Charge is a bloody con.

40 minutes ago, FWJ said:

The only saving we can make is on our gas and that's our heating, electric we might be able to trim a few pence here and there, but it's not going to be much.  Gas is where we'll save, but we'll have to go cold to achieve it.

SwindonJambo
2 hours ago, The Real Maroonblood said:

The Standing Charge is a bloody con.

Not bloody kidding. It’s risen out of all proportion and in the Summer costs me more than gas and leccy combined. It’s legalised daylight robbery.

Doctor FinnBarr
15 hours ago, Nucky Thompson said:

If the park is anything like the one I'm on, they'll offer you a pittance to buy the van back

I'd imagine so Nucky, where are you? We're Thurston Manor near Dunbar.

Nucky Thompson
4 hours ago, FinnBarr Saunders said:

I'd imagine so Nucky, where are you? We're Thurston Manor near Dunbar.

Haggerston Castle Finn.

doctor jambo
13 hours ago, Cade said:

No, seriously.

I laughed at that .

we have 12000 patients in a deprived area.

when are we supposed to do that extra workload? Everyone would ask, and could argue that a hundreds of pounds per month hit would worsen their mental health.

The Mighty Thor
1 hour ago, doctor jambo said:

I laughed at that .

we have 12000 patients in a deprived area.

when are we supposed to do that extra workload? Everyone would ask, and could argue that a hundreds of pounds per month hit would worsen their mental health.

Can you imagine? 😂

You'll have to phone the surgery, assuming you can afford a phone, to speak to the receptionist to schedule a time two weeks hence when the doctor will call you back to make an appointment for a further two weeks down the line to get a script to stop you freezing to death?

:cornette:

Our supplier has given us a forecast of our energy costs through the winter. Here's what they've told us to expect from December onwards;

DEC - £509.45

JAN - £628.99

FEB - £565.37

MAR - £525.92

Scary.

On 21/08/2022 at 05:01, ri Alban said:

Cheaper to sell the Hoose.

22 hours ago, FinnBarr Saunders said:

Don't think the council would be pleased.

ri Alban:. What do you think you would get if you sold your house?

FinnBarr Saunders: About 6 months.

©Billy Connolly 

Edit:. I really need to read to the end of a thread before posting.

Edited by graygo

Does anyone have a smart meter where they can't get a mobile signal?

A guy came around to fit a smart meter a couple of years ago but said the signal is really poor, it is, so he can't fit one.

We've got great Internet connection, 1 gig, so can one net be connected via wifi?

She's going to have an emergency budget soon after taking office.  But she's going to break with convention by not instructing the OBR to publish their analysis.  An independent voice about the costs and where the funding comes from.  A move already described as "worrying".  

But Liz gets to wear a Maggie Thatcher outfit and be photographed with a Union Flag and meet the POTUS and that jazz.  All is well in Lizland.

doctor jambo
2 hours ago, The Mighty Thor said:

Can you imagine? 😂

You'll have to phone the surgery, assuming you can afford a phone, to speak to the receptionist to schedule a time two weeks hence when the doctor will call you back to make an appointment for a further two weeks down the line to get a script to stop you freezing to death?

:cornette:

They are utterly mad.

Essentially getting GP’s to prescribe money for those that need it.

I’ll be having some of that😁

16 hours ago, FWJ said:

You can reduce your gas heating  bill possibly by altering the controls on your boiler. There will be a dial or equivalent that shows a radiator image. This controls the water temperature that runs through the radiators. For an effective system this only needs to be at 55 degrees remembering that when the heating kicks in is controlled by the thermostat that operates by room temperature, which you can also control. The dial may have numbers rather than temperature levels on it - if you check the manual it will show what these equate to. It may be that the water temperature is set at something silly like 75 degrees, and if so them simply reset to a lower temperature and you can save maybe 10-15%.

The other check is the hot water tap temperature. If you run hot water then add cold because it is too hot, then the temperature level on the boiler is set to high.  Why pay to heat water to too high a temperature, which it is if you have to mix cold water with it?  As with the radiator control, you turn the dial down to the appropriate temperature. This best result is by trial and error and you may need to do it a few times to get it right. This dial has a tap image next to or on it. 

Hope this helps.