Inflation

jamb0_1874

Tommy Brown
45 minutes ago, Cairneyhill Jambo said:

FB_IMG_1647008129893.jpg

:lol:

When you shop, you will notice things similar though.

My dog's petcare products, £5 per box, the box contaned 4 packets of 7. It now 3 packets of 7, but the price stays the same. 25% rise.

We all notice mars bars getting smaller. 

• Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ri Alban

• Unknown user

• The Mighty Thor

• JudyJudyJudy

Tommy Brown

Bank of England to raise interest rates today to 0.75%. 

I know rates have been nominal for a good few years.

But, current inflation is not down to reckless consumer spending. Its fuel and war, out of consumers control.

My gripe for today. I will survive it, it will cause severe hardship for too many though.

36 minutes ago, Tommy Brown said:

Bank of England to raise interest rates today to 0.75%. 

I know rates have been nominal for a good few years.

But, current inflation is not down to reckless consumer spending. Its fuel and war, out of consumers control.

My gripe for today. I will survive it, it will cause severe hardship for too many though.

0.25% won’t cause severe hardship. 

mrmarkus1981_1

I don't understand the energy price cap raise. The cap is being raised by 54% so the average household bills will rise from circa £1200 to circa £1900.

How come my energy company are estimating £3.5k for my energy? I live in an average house i reckon!

The Mighty Thor
5 hours ago, Dazo said:

on its own? probably not. 

However when you add in the fuel rises, energy rises, council tax rises, tax & NI rises and food rises, then perhaps it's a kick in the baws too many for some.

5 minutes ago, The Mighty Thor said:

on its own? probably not. 

However when you add in the fuel rises, energy rises, council tax rises, tax & NI rises and food rises, then perhaps it's a kick in the baws too many for some.

Listen I’m not denying this is going to be a ***** of a tough year for most and brutal for many. This rise really won’t impact those suffering the most though and won’t cause the severe hardship suggested imo. Those you mention on the other hand certain will. 

Edited by Dazo

Jambo-Jimbo
On 11/03/2022 at 15:07, Tommy Brown said:

:lol:

When you shop, you will notice things similar though.

My dog's petcare products, £5 per box, the box contaned 4 packets of 7. It now 3 packets of 7, but the price stays the same. 25% rise.

We all notice mars bars getting smaller. 

I've noticed that with a few things as well, noodles used to be a 5 pack now it's 4, some crisps used to be a 6 pack now it's 5, same price just fewer packs.

4 minutes ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

I've noticed that with a few things as well, noodles used to be a 5 pack now it's 4, some crisps used to be a 6 pack now it's 5, same price just fewer packs.

The hungrier people among us will just buy 2, 5 packs to get their same 6 & 4 for back-up...:biggrin2:

Jambo-Jimbo
3 hours ago, mrmarkus1981_1 said:

I don't understand the energy price cap raise. The cap is being raised by 54% so the average household bills will rise from circa £1200 to circa £1900.

How come my energy company are estimating £3.5k for my energy? I live in an average house i reckon!

It still all depends on how much energy you yourself use, just because the price cap is set at £1900 doesn't mean that's what your bill will be, as it all depends on how much energy you use.  Your energy company's estimate should have been worked out from your previous usage over the last 12 months adding in the new price increases, or at least I think that's the way it should have been worked out.

Japan Jambo
6 hours ago, Dazo said:

nor will it be the last rise. FX markets priced in a minimum of .25% today and sterling strengthened significantly overnight/this am before dropping back most of the way when the announcement came at 12pm. Think many traders had expected 0.5%

27 minutes ago, Japan Jambo said:

nor will it be the last rise. FX markets priced in a minimum of .25% today and sterling strengthened significantly overnight/this am before dropping back most of the way when the announcement came at 12pm. Think many traders had expected 0.5%

Yep no doubt it will rise again, not sure can complain though it’s been way too low for a long time. 

Stagflation is still a risk, hence why the BoE is being cautious in putting Interest Rates up.

Making borrowing more expensive in an attempt to curb spending and bring prices down is risky when the economy is so fragile.

Low interest rates are supposed to stimulate spending.

Nae ***** can afford to save or buy anything, so nae big deal. Right  👍

Edited by ri Alban

WorldChampions1902
1 hour ago, ri Alban said:

Nae ***** can afford to save or buy anything, so nae big deal. Right  👍

Unless of course, things get so bad, people can no longer to pay for their essentials. More and more are going to fall into that bracket in the next year or so. That’s when the “fun”, will start.

Edited by WorldChampions1902

Jambo_jim2001
8 hours ago, Japan Jambo said:

more likely a studio flat in Tooting!! Bloody dear down here...

Sorry forgot it was London😉

3S90YJv_d.webp

10 hours ago, WorldChampions1902 said:

Unless of course, things get so bad, people can no longer to pay for their essentials. More and more are going to fall into that bracket in the next year or so. That’s when the “fun”, will start.

This will last longer than the pandemic. This is going to be a nightmare for the majority.

WorldChampions1902
13 hours ago, ri Alban said:

This will last longer than the pandemic. This is going to be a nightmare for the majority.

I fear you might well be correct. And if the numbers of people affected and the severity of the financial impact is as bad as I think it will be, civil unrest is a distinct possibility.

2 minutes ago, WorldChampions1902 said:

I fear you might well be correct. And if the numbers of people affected and the severity of the financial impact is as bad as I think it will be, civil unrest is a distinct possibility.

I've said that to the Mrs, and for once she agreed. :jambobanana:

2 hours ago, WorldChampions1902 said:

All that free money people wanted isn’t free and people are angry ? Sounds fair enough. 

Brexit, hungry folk eating Bats, CV-19 and now Putin, scratching an itch...Cornflakes are gonna be as expensive as Caviar...

Jambo-Jimbo
1 hour ago, Cade said:

6.5%

:fonzie:

It's 6.2% and RPI is 8.2%.

Wait until next month and the month after that, as next month will include the price rises for petrol/food from the war and the month after that will include the new gas/electric price rises in April.   Could be close to 10%, if not more.

On 10/03/2022 at 18:55, Jambo_jim2001 said:

😳😳 Is British steel still going? Or is the steel imported now?

Yeah they are still going, they make steel in Scunthorpe from scratch however we don't have the minerals etc required to make steel from scratch in this country so these along with big slabs/billets are imported and then used to make sellable products. Don't get me wrong there are a lot of finished products imported to the country along side the ones made here. 

On 11/03/2022 at 03:51, ri Alban said:

Don't forget that building materials etc... went through the roof during the pandemic because of production. That production has been caught up long ago and they are still through the roof.

Mind that wee saying. "What goes up, must come down" What a load of shite. 

When things go up, we end up distracted/conned/programmed to the point that this is the new starting price. And yet, all we do is moan, we should burn the place down, if we weren't a bunch of shitebags. And this is probably the reason folk greet about demonstrations like the ones who block roads etc... Because they don't have the balls to do it.

Tell you what had a holiday home in France for around 10 years, and the amount of time the Farmers evt blocked the road in protest was at least 1 per year, they did not put up with any crap. Not saying it was right all the tome but at least they made their point.

On 10/03/2022 at 18:45, Tommy Brown said:

Very early on in this thread, I posted of a big rise is Stainless Steel costs in january (we work in food cooking equipment, nearly all our work is SS).

Told this morning that another 55% hike in the cost we pay from April. 

Yeah its mad, mild steel has had massive jumps over the last 2-3 weeks also. Anything from 25-40+% depending on the product. That's on top of pretty much record high prices after the recent pandemic increases over the last year or two...

Jambo-Jimbo

The OBR think that inflation will peak at 8.7% this year and will average out at 7.4% for 2022, of course that will be the CPI, the RPI will be much higher, most certainly over 10%.

joondalupjambo

Martin Lewis saying average house hold will see their costs rise by circa 1300 pounds per annum by 1st October.  He worked out that the best anyone can expect in Government help is a total of 650 per annum so sees this as not just a major problem but potentially catastrophic because the pending utility price increases  from 1st October are not even included in the calculations.

He was asked what can the poorer in society do come next winter. and said turn off their heating, use a sleeping bag or blanket to keep themselves warn and forget about the house being warm.  Just keep yourself warm. Wow just wow.

Now I think the guy is straight down the line, no nonsense advice and factual but to hear that, in 2022 is astounding because he was absolutely serious.

Jambo-Jimbo
5 minutes ago, joondalupjambo said:

Martin Lewis saying average house hold will see their costs rise by circa 1300 pounds per annum by 1st October.  He worked out that the best anyone can expect in Government help is a total of 650 per annum so sees this as not just a major problem but potentially catastrophic because the pending utility price increases  from 1st October are not even included in the calculations.

He was asked what can the poorer in society do come next winter. and said turn off their heating, use a sleeping bag or blanket to keep themselves warn and forget about the house being warm.  Just keep yourself warm. Wow just wow.

Now I think the guy is straight down the line, no nonsense advice and factual but to hear that, in 2022 is astounding because he was absolutely serious.

Heat the person not the house was the way he put it, meaning just that, use sleeping bags etc to heat yourself and forget about heating the house, sadly this is what many people will have to do, come next winter.

Jambo-Jimbo
14 minutes ago, Jambo_jim2001 said:

Surprise, diesels still the same price🤬I thought it was going down 5p a litre after six🤬🤬

Coincidentally today's latest price increase by the oil companies was 5p a litre. :mad:

joondalupjambo
1 minute ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

Heat the person not the house was the way he put it, meaning just that, use sleeping bags etc to heat yourself and forget about heating the house, sadly this is what many people will have to do, come next winter.

We did that when we first got married.  Every penny we had went on the mortgage and food so we sat night after night with downies wrapped around us.  Only put heating on when we had a shower or a bath.

The big difference was we saw a way forward because we had jobs.  We still did it tough though unlike the softies now who want it all with no pain 😄

Nucky Thompson
18 minutes ago, Jambo_jim2001 said:

Surprise, diesels still the same price🤬I thought it was going down 5p a litre after six🤬🤬

Asda and Sainsbury said they were cutting fuel by 6p a litre.

Jambo-Jimbo
1 minute ago, joondalupjambo said:

We did that when we first got married.  Every penny we had went on the mortgage and food so we sat night after night with downies wrapped around us.  Only put heating on when we had a shower or a bath.

The big difference was we saw a way forward because we had jobs.  We still did it tough though unlike the softies now who want it all with no pain 😄

Ice on the inside of your windows will be a very real possibility for many people next winter.

joondalupjambo
11 minutes ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

Ice on the inside of your windows will be a very real possibility for many people next winter.

We had that as well😄

Sash and case wooden windows, boo😄

The Real Maroonblood
20 minutes ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

Remember that only too well.

Fortunately my utilities deal runs untilmAugust 2023.

Edited by The Real Maroonblood

Jambo-Jimbo
12 minutes ago, joondalupjambo said:

We had that as well😄

Sash and case wooden windows, boo😄

4 minutes ago, The Real Maroonblood said:

Remember that only too well.

Fortunately my utilities deal runs untilmAugust 2023.

Was a common occurance when I was young, coal fire in one room, no other heating anywhere else in the house, which was like a freezer.

The way things are going I can see a lot of people facing the same thing come next winter, many won't have any other choice, but to heat one room, sad.

The Real Maroonblood
2 minutes ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

Was a common occurance when I was young, coal fire in one room, no other heating anywhere else in the house, which was like a freezer.

The way things are going I can see a lot of people facing the same thing come next winter, many won't have any other choice, but to heat one room, sad.

This.

Unknown user
38 minutes ago, joondalupjambo said:

We still did it tough though unlike the softies now who want it all with no pain 

No pain would be nice

Fuel has gone up about 40p a litre, roughly 24p extra to the government in tax and we're meant to be grateful that they give us back 5p of that?

(figures plucked out of thin air to make the point)

Greedy Jambo

It's costing me about £20 just to fill a quarter of the tank, so i'll be saving 75p on that? 

Jesus christ. 

2 hours ago, joondalupjambo said:

I grew up in a house with no central heating and a coal fire with a back burner that would heat up the water. The windows were metal framed single glazed and hardly sealed when closed. The windows would ice up on the inside in the winter. 

The big difference is that was decades ago. I wouldnt want my kids to go through anything like that. 

Times move on. Having enough money to heat your home should be a basic human right. 

Edited by Pans Jambo

Jambo_jim2001
3 hours ago, Nucky Thompson said:

Asda and Sainsbury said they were cutting fuel by 6p a litre.

Still same prices as this morning in my area £1.74 a litre😳

Jambo_jim2001
22 minutes ago, Pans Jambo said:

I grew up in a house with no central heating and a coal fire with a back burner that would heat up the water. The windows were metal framed single glazed and hardly sealed when closed. The windows would ice up on the inside in the winter. 

The big difference is that was decades ago. I wouldnt want my kids to go through anything like that. 

Times move on. Having enough money to heat your home should be a basic human right. 

Same here,old British steel house,coal fire in bedroom as well as living room 🥶🥶🥶 

25 minutes ago, Cade said:

"It's fine that everything is going to be as shite as it was 50 years ago"

:cornette:

😂 Aye its all good that the kids will soon get a heat when we start putting them back up chimneys again. 

Jambo_jim2001
13 minutes ago, Pans Jambo said:

😂 Aye its all good that the kids will soon get a heat when we start putting them back up chimneys again. 

When did they stop doing it?😀at least wee Shaun maloney will have a career when the hobbos bump him👍

Edited by Jambo_jim2001

I’ve just seen a post on Facebook from someone I know. Their mum is in a care home which is skinning them for £1700 a week which they’ve, obviously, had to sell her house to cover. They went to visit her today and were given a letter saying the fees are going up by £800 a month. I appreciate staffing costs etc but £7600 a month!!