• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ri Alban

• Unknown user

• The Mighty Thor

• JudyJudyJudy

WorldChampions1902
11 hours ago, Nucky Thompson said:

Luckily you won't need to swallow anything in Scotland.

One thing I can give the SG credit for :thumbsup:

Has somebody hacked into your account? 😉

Going to Uni is great fun and getting a degree is beneficial to career development.

Worth the outlay? Imo, most definitely.

@The Mighty Thor how are you defining middle class, if people going to Uni, getting a decently paid job and living in a decent home etc aren't middle class?

Edited by Taffin

The Mighty Thor
1 hour ago, Taffin said:

Going to Uni is great fun and getting a degree is beneficial to career development.

@The Mighty Thor how are you defining middle class, if people going to Uni, getting a decently paid job and living in a decent home etc aren't middle class?

You're all missing the point. 

I'm not defining what is middle class.

I'm passing comment on the great grift of the Tories to convince you that you're middle class and then watch you drown in a sea of personal debt trying to either attain or retain your 'middle class' status symbols which are invariably linked to said personal debt. 

15 hours ago, The Mighty Thor said:

Did you actually read my post?

If 'bright' kids want to swallow a £30k handicap then they can horse on!

They won't be middle class. They'll just think they are. 

43 minutes ago, The Mighty Thor said:

You're all missing the point. 

I'm not defining what is middle class.

I'm passing comment on the great grift of the Tories to convince you that you're middle class and then watch you drown in a sea of personal debt trying to either attain or retain your 'middle class' status symbols which are invariably linked to said personal debt. 

Maybe your point is quite easy to miss.

I read the bit in bold as those bright kids going to Uni won't be middle class...probably because that's what it says to me at least. You've then gone on to now say middles class is invariably linked to personal debt (which I agree with) but that's in opposition to the bit in bold imo.

Lots of people will go to uni, inherit the debt that goes with and go on to tick all the boxes of what most would consider to be middle class.

Nobody drowns in Student debt, and for many the doors it opens makes it more than worthwhile. 

4 hours ago, Taffin said:

I read the bit in bold as those bright kids going to Uni won't be middle class...probably because that's what it says to me at least. You've then gone on to now say middles class is invariably linked to personal debt (which I agree with) but that's in opposition to the bit in bold imo.

Lots of people will go to uni, inherit the debt that goes with and go on to tick all the boxes of what most would consider to be middle class.

Nobody drowns in Student debt, and for many the doors it opens makes it more than worthwhile. 

Do you not have to earn a certain amount before repayment kicks in. 

Anyway, my oldest went to uni, he worked his baws aff and has become an Engineer and has just been promoted. He stayed with us until he got a job and had the potential earnings to buy his own flat, he's now able to buy any house he wants. This old ***** is a very proud man that he's now risen up the food chain. His mum did the same when she  became a chartered surveyor, until the Tory *******s robbed her if her life with the Hostile environment carry on, which nearly put me in box. 

Anyway, circumstances determine everything.

On 04/02/2022 at 20:50, ArcticJambo said:

Who are these people, and what do they do? Are they coming from Edinburgh/Lothians/Scotland/England? Quite curious.

It’s not that hard if yer smart and move at the right time.

house 1 £30k sold £36k

House 2 £65k sold £105 k

House 3 175 k sold £320 k with mortgage paid off.

House 4 £450K current mortgage £150k house now worth £520k

All this over 25 years. Started at 20 on the ladder and made some shrewd moves .

my advice is move on every 5/6 years increase your mortgage to what you can afford and stretch yourself early. 

I am done now. I could keep going with this model but what’s the point. In a good place now and concentrating on enjoying life. 

2 hours ago, spirt of 98 said:

It’s not that hard if yer smart and move at the right time.

house 1 £30k sold £36k

House 2 £65k sold £105 k

House 3 175 k sold £320 k with mortgage paid off.

House 4 £450K current mortgage £150k house now worth £520k

All this over 25 years. Started at 20 on the ladder and made some shrewd moves .

my advice is move on every 5/6 years increase your mortgage to what you can afford and stretch yourself early. 

I am done now. I could keep going with this model but what’s the point. In a good place now and concentrating on enjoying life. 

Good for you and the many others who did the same but you're very wrong about it 'not being that hard'. The opportunities you had and took are long, long gone.  'House 1' is out of reach for all but the very best paid youngsters and without 'House 1', 2,3 & 4 in your model cannot possibly happen.

We've had 13 years of sub 1% interest rates, 25 years of buy to let mortgages and chronic undersupply of new housing throughout, pricing what would normally be 1st time buyers out the market and forcing then to rent or stay with their parents well into their 30s.

5 hours ago, SwindonJambo said:

Good for you and the many others who did the same but you're very wrong about it 'not being that hard'. The opportunities you had and took are long, long gone.  'House 1' is out of reach for all but the very best paid youngsters and without 'House 1', 2,3 & 4 in your model cannot possibly happen.

We've had 13 years of sub 1% interest rates, 25 years of buy to let mortgages and chronic undersupply of new housing throughout, pricing what would normally be 1st time buyers out the market and forcing then to rent or stay with their parents well into their 30s.

Where ye getting a £30 house that's not in a real shitehole which you won't sell for profit, however you renovate it.

27 minutes ago, ri Alban said:

Where ye getting a £30 house that's not in a real shitehole which you won't sell for profit, however you renovate it.

£30k

4 hours ago, ri Alban said:

I'm guessing number 7, main street, 1980.

Unless you're extraordinarily lucky, you couldn't do that today.

7 hours ago, ri Alban said:

Exactly. You’ve added to my point. Those £30k pads in the late 90s are now the thick end of £200k and way out of reach of nearly all first time buyers. The late 90s was the easiest era in modern times to buy a home. The arse fell out the market in the late 80s and early 90s, and the market was flooded with cut price repossessions. Buy to let landlords weren’t gobbling up all the stock so much either. Totally different times which bear no resemblance to today’s screwed up overinflated market.

Nowadays £30k gets you a minging stoorie poky wee flat above a bookies in the arse end of nowhere  useful if you’re lucky to get anything  anywhere for that.

The Mighty Thor
23 hours ago, Taffin said:

As ever I reserve the right to be completely contrarian and utterly wrong at all times 😉

il Duce McTarkin
44 minutes ago, SwindonJambo said:

Exactly. You’ve added to my point. Those £30k pads in the late 90s are now the thick end of £200k and way out of reach of nearly all first time buyers. The late 90s was the easiest era in modern times to buy a home.

1999, taking home ~ 300 quid a week which was average to good amongst my peers, first flat in Gorgie 38K with a 100% mortgage.

2022, same-ish flat is ~ 170k. I'm not sure how many folk there are in their early 20s taking home 1300 a week.

It's absolutely bonkers.

16 hours ago, spirt of 98 said:

Move every 5/6 years?? Sod that. 

What a stress.

21 hours ago, SwindonJambo said:

I meant not that hard to afford the expensive new build. I did not mean that it would happen for people these days. Just that the folk who are buying the expensive house mostly started with next to nothing and bought and sold well. 

I supposed there will be some in these expensive houses that just had really big salaries. 

11 hours ago, Cade said:

Median income in Edinburgh: £35k

Average house price in Edinburgh: £293k

What is the point you are making with the figures?

• 2 weeks later...

With the extra fuel added by everything that is happening in the Ukraine currently. How high do we thing the UK inflation figure will hit this year. 

The Mighty Thor
3 hours ago, jamb0_1874 said:

With the extra fuel added by everything that is happening in the Ukraine currently. How high do we thing the UK inflation figure will hit this year. 

I'll go double digits.

As @Cade says it's probably already there for the majority of people. 

10 hours ago, Cade said:

Official inflation, or actual real-world inflation?

They're two entirely different things.

I'll go for 8%

This is it, real inflation.

Car fuel

House fuel

Weekly shop

And soon mortgage rate rises 

I would go for double figures already.

I am lucky and should cope ok, but there is going to be a hell of a lot of belt tightening for a large % of the population. 

Worrying times.

On 09/02/2022 at 10:13, Taffin said:

Why do people have to be a certain class?

I never judge people by what others perceive as their class. I judge people on how I find them.

We as a country have been here before.

Double digit inflation in the 70s.

Country survived then and it will survive again.

10 hours ago, John Findlay said:

We as a country have been here before.

Double digit inflation in the 70s.

Country survived then and it will survive again.

Of course the country will survive however it's a complete different world that we live in now compared to back then, people's way of living, thinking, ways of dealing with money and everyday expectations especially...

On 26/02/2022 at 17:25, jamb0_1874 said:

Of course the country will survive however it's a complete different world that we live in now compared to back then, people's way of living, thinking, ways of dealing with money and everyday expectations especially...

The debt economy of the modern age certainly wasn't around for Joe Average.

You bought what you saved for, not buy now and pay whenever.

I seen a video of the village where I grew up (East Calder) on Facebook. There was very few cars on the streets, the video was not the 70's, but 1989.

Not too many had house phones, now we have multiple mobiles in the house.

Rising Fuel costs (home & car), grocery and interest rate rises are going to have huge impacts.

On 25/02/2022 at 22:14, Tommy Brown said:

This is it, real inflation.

Car fuel

House fuel

Weekly shop

And soon mortgage rate rises 

I would go for double figures already.

I am lucky and should cope ok, but there is going to be a hell of a lot of belt tightening for a large % of the population. 

Worrying times.

How will people afford to have kids these days 

J.T.F.Robertson
3 hours ago, Jambo 4 Ever said:

How will people afford to have kids these days 

There’s a solution to that, not even a complicated one.

7 hours ago, J.T.F.Robertson said:

There’s a solution to that, not even a complicated one.

From experience, getting off at Haymarket is not foolproof.

Jambo_jim2001
3 minutes ago, Tommy Brown said:

From experience, getting off at Haymarket is not foolproof.

Get off at Falkirk high before entering the tunnel 💥

Drove down to Stratford week. Seen Diesel at 174.9p/litre at one of the motorway service stations. Rip-off arseholes. Bigger arseholes who actually buy it!

That's £7.95/Gallon... FFS!!!

Wonder how long it will be before we see the £2/Litre at these rip-of merchants (£9.09/Gallon)?

On 26/02/2022 at 17:25, jamb0_1874 said:

It's simple. People should learn to handle their money better/more wisely.

32 minutes ago, John Findlay said:

It's simple. People should learn to handle their money better/more wisely.

I'm not disputing this fact, however that's easier said than done as its a complete change in culture that is required to achieve this, as most have only lived in a culture where access to cheap credit is available to everybody and where debt is looked upon as a friend rather than a foe..  

On 26/02/2022 at 06:26, John Findlay said:

Why do people have to be a certain class?

They don't, but if one is going to talk in terms of class then it makes sense for it to be consistent.

On 26/02/2022 at 06:26, John Findlay said:

I never judge people by what others perceive as their class. I judge people on how I find them.

A good way to live.

2 hours ago, Pans Jambo said:

Drove down to Stratford week. Seen Diesel at 174.9p/litre at one of the motorway service stations. Rip-off arseholes. Bigger arseholes who actually buy it!

Wonder how long it will be before we see the £2/Litre at these rip-of merchants (£9.09/Gallon)?

The price of convenience I guess. I'm not too worried about the cost of fuel at motorway service stations, you can take it or leave it. The lowest priced fuel going up is the worry imo.

7 hours ago, Pans Jambo said:

Electric is the way to go. My wee workie motor is fecking bleeding me dry and I live 2 minutes from my site. :D

Her new motor is electric and it cost feck all to charge. Unless I charge it at the Hoose.

4 hours ago, Jambo 4 Ever said:

And what’s that smarty pants?

Wear smarty pants.

Edited by ri Alban

2 hours ago, ri Alban said:

Electric is the way to go. My wee workie motor is fecking bleeding me dry and I live 2 minutes from my site. :D

Her new motor is electric and it cost feck all to charge. Unless I charge it at the Hoose.

Leccy prices about to go up and likely doubled by this time next year. You cant win ☹️

Couldn’t be arsed cooking tonight so decided to get a rare chippie. Sausage supper was £4.60 a few weeks ago.

Today? £6.20. 
A lot of businesses are taking the piss but the rising fuel bills will be blamed. Obviously they make a difference but a third is a big increase in something. 

1 hour ago, Tazio said:

Couldn’t be arsed cooking tonight so decided to get a rare chippie. Sausage supper was £4.60 a few weeks ago.

Today? £6.20. 
A lot of businesses are taking the piss but the rising fuel bills will be blamed. Obviously they make a difference but a third is a big increase in something. 

Profiteers should never get your repeat business. Even if the sausage supper had went up 25% that would £5.75 & still be too much. 
Who is the chippy so I know to avoid?

2 hours ago, Tazio said:

Today? £6.20. 

Tbf that’s same price as a pint in some places now