Inflation

jamb0_1874

Nucky Thompson
47 minutes ago, Cade said:

Eurozone is down to 2.4%

Good news for the pound as that means our interest rates should remain higher than Europe for longer.

I see it's up to 1.16 euro today 

• Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ri Alban

• Unknown user

• The Mighty Thor

• JudyJudyJudy

The Mighty Thor

Bank of England Governor Andrew Bailey says the UKs economic outlook is the worst he's ever seen. 

Not the ringing endorsement the government are looking for 

The Real Maroonblood
13 minutes ago, The Mighty Thor said:

Bank of England Governor Andrew Bailey says the UKs economic outlook is the worst he's ever seen. 

Land of Hope and Glory. 

:rofl:

periodictabledancer
1 hour ago, Nucky Thompson said:

Good news for the pound as that means our interest rates should remain higher than Europe for longer.

I see it's up to 1.16 euro today 

😂😂😂

Let's celebrate. 

Simpletons who don't even know what it was like to have nearly two Euros to the pound. 

1.16 though. 

Epic.

The Real Maroonblood
2 minutes ago, periodictabledancer said:

😂😂😂

Let's celebrate. 

Simpletons who don't even know what it was like to have nearly two Euros to the pound. 

1.16 though. 

Epic.

:laugh2:

On 24/11/2023 at 17:43, OBE said:

Father was a miner, shitpence for a tonne of coal. Spoilt growing up, shorts and tee's (inside) throughout the dark months, fire was never off, burnt the arse out a few back boilers. Old man used to go radge if the dug was able to lie in front of the dying coals...:biggrin:

I was a miner ,7 ton annual allowance and I still brought a "raker" home every shift to put on the fire surrounded by dross to keep it going through the night🙂As a tradesman an important part of my shift was to cut sticks for kindling and saw"clugs" for the fire🔥.

4 minutes ago, ehcaley said:

I was a miner ,7 ton annual allowance and I still brought a "raker" home every shift to put on the fire surrounded by dross to keep it going through the night🙂As a tradesman an important part of my shift was to cut sticks for kindling and saw"clugs" for the fire🔥.

7 ton? ****ing hell! :laugh2:

3 hours ago, periodictabledancer said:

😂😂😂

Let's celebrate. 

1.16 though. 

Epic.

He is surely just trolling. 

That thing you do
4 hours ago, The Mighty Thor said:

Which it is. Its a disaster. As the figures here show.

10 minutes ago, That thing you do said:

Which it is. Its a disaster. As the figures here show.

It's scary, people think things have got rough, but we're looking down the barrel of some really bad times.

I read that for some bus routes in Falkirk, there's a proposal that seats will need to be booked 2 hours in advance, and if no one books, the bus won't go out. If 1 person books they'll send a taxi. This is it starting, we're going to see everything cut, public services, leisure, road repair, emergency services, you name it.

We talk about energy costs, imagine how much that affects your local council. That's a whole load more money from your pocket going to the energy suppliers, while all around you things stagnate due to councils struggling.

Great Britain.

Edited by ǝǝɥʇᴉɯS

That thing you do
2 hours ago, ǝǝɥʇᴉɯS said:

It's scary, people think things have got rough, but we're looking down the barrel of some really bad times.

I read that for some bus routes in Falkirk, there's a proposal that seats will need to be booked 2 hours in advance, and if no one books, the bus won't go out. If 1 person books they'll send a taxi. This is it starting, we're going to see everything cut, public services, leisure, road repair, emergency services, you name it.

We talk about energy costs, imagine how much that affects your local council. That's a whole load more money from your pocket going to the energy suppliers, while all around you things stagnate due to councils struggling.

Great Britain.

This.

Fair few councils in England are bankrupt. Matter of time before Scotland follows. It will all be the SNPs fault of course but despite the mess theyve made of some things, its a drop in the bucket to the corrupt, economically illiterate mess being overseen by Westminster and you cant mitigate an economic disaster which is where we are heading.

Grim times ahead. 

henrysmithsgloves
5 hours ago, ǝǝɥʇᴉɯS said:

7 ton? ****ing hell! :laugh2:

My auld man had the weights and measurements out at least once a year because he was getting less due to corrupt coal men. The allowance was agreed by the NUM to help the miners with the cost of washing themselves and working clothes at one time, plus the wages were so poor. 

1 hour ago, henrysmithsgloves said:

My auld man had the weights and measurements out at least once a year because he was getting less due to corrupt coal men. The allowance was agreed by the NUM to help the miners with the cost of washing themselves and working clothes at one time, plus the wages were so poor. 

👍🏻

When a coal delivery was due, I was telt to make myself visible and count the bags being dumped in the bunker...

57 minutes ago, OBE said:

👍🏻

When a coal delivery was due, I was telt to make myself visible and count the bags being dumped in the bunker...

Were they delivered in 100 CWT bags.

If memory serves me correctly, 20 x 100 CWT bags came to 1 ton?

3 minutes ago, John Findlay said:

20 bags...:thumbsup:

Nucky Thompson
11 hours ago, periodictabledancer said:

😂😂😂

Let's celebrate. 

1.16 though. 

Epic.

:rofl::rofl:

henrysmithsgloves
27 minutes ago, OBE said:

20 bags...:thumbsup:

Sometimes underweight though 😆 there was a story of a coal man putting his laddie in a bag to make it look like he was delivering a bag of coal 😅

5 hours ago, henrysmithsgloves said:

Many a time I was called out to weigh the contents of a coal bunker after a delivery of concessionary coal. Either the bags would be light or if there was coal already in the bunker, only 18 or 19 bags would be delivered , as we had to weigh everything in the bunker. Manky job.

Shooter McGavin
9 hours ago, ǝǝɥʇᴉɯS said:

Great Britain.

That's what happens when tories give tax money to their mates via dodgy contracts, spunk billions down the drain and then tell you that it's the immigrants who are to blame.

Folk still fall for it too...

:jj_facepalm:

Asda Galashiels had petrol at 137.7p per litre on Wednesday, Shell garage in Gala was 137.9p

Asda Bilston on Thursday it was 147.7p per litre.

The companies are ripping the pish out of you lot in Edinburgh, because the Borders are consistently well cheaper than in Edinburgh, even our dear petrol stations are cheaper than Edinburgh nowadays.

Just for comparism, I was in Gibraltar middle of November and petrol was 118.9p per litre that was the garage on the edge of the airport at the Gibraltar Cradle of History sign.

Nucky Thompson
5 minutes ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

Asda Galashiels had petrol at 137.7p per litre on Wednesday, Shell garage in Gala was 137.9p

The companies are ripping the pish out of you lot in Edinburgh, because the Borders are consistently well cheaper than in Edinburgh, even our dear petrol stations are cheaper than Edinburgh nowadays.

Just for comparism, I was in Gibraltar middle of November and petrol was 118.9p per litre that was the garage on the edge of the airport at the Gibraltar Cradle of History sign.

What's happened to the watchdog that's meant to hold them to account?

It was meant to be getting implemented a couple of weeks ago

The entire UK local authority energy expenditure could be supplied at better dicounted terms as an inflation suppressing measure.  There's not a damned thing the energy companies could do about it if there was governmental will.  

1 minute ago, Nucky Thompson said:

Lol aye that's how it works.

They don't exist to hold them to account, they exist so the government can keep it at arm's length and go "who, us?" as they do whatever the industry suggests

Just now, Victorian said:

The entire UK local authority energy expenditure could be supplied at better dicounted terms as an inflation suppressing measure.  There's not a damned thing the energy companies could do about it if there was governmental will.  

Correct

9 minutes ago, Nucky Thompson said:

It'll end up like every other watchdog, that's if it ever gets off the ground.

4 hours ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

That Shell station is consitently one of the cheapest I come across on my travels. Strangely enough so is the rather remote Crook of Devon Shell in Fife.

You are 100% correct about the general price in Edinburgh, however, a complete piss take! On Tuesday morning I got my unleaded at The Jewel Asda for 143.7!

4 hours ago, Nucky Thompson said:

watchdog.jpeg.d53c83f8862395b94eadbe649259d5b4.jpeg

henrysmithsgloves
6 hours ago, inspector said:

Many a time I was called out to weigh the contents of a coal bunker after a delivery of concessionary coal. Either the bags would be light or if there was coal already in the bunker, only 18 or 19 bags would be delivered , as we had to weigh everything in the bunker. Manky job.

If they asked the auld man for a bag,he probably would have gave them it😆 auld man had 2 bunkers just for delivery, feel your pain, he had me making sure they were empty for delivery day😪 coalmen from harthill/armadale area were the worst 😯

1 hour ago, henrysmithsgloves said:

If they asked the auld man for a bag,he probably would have gave them it😆 auld man had 2 bunkers just for delivery, feel your pain, he had me making sure they were empty for delivery day😪 coalmen from harthill/armadale area were the worst 😯

Have vivid memories of the coalman shouting " coal" and asking how many bags we wanted.  Depending on the skintness of my parents, it flucuated. :( 

henrysmithsgloves
2 hours ago, JudyJudyJudy said:

Have vivid memories of the coalman shouting " coal" and asking how many bags we wanted.  Depending on the skintness of my parents, it flucuated. :( 

Much the same nowadays, that's why I have dual fuel central heating system installed 🧐

Footballfirst
14 hours ago, John Findlay said:

You are just out by a factor of 100 re the bags

They were delivered in hundredweight bags i.e. 1cwt = 8st or 112lbs

We usually had deliveries of 10cwt (10 bags) at a time.

37 minutes ago, Footballfirst said:

You are just out by a factor of 100 re the bags

They were delivered in hundredweight bags i.e. 1cwt = 8st or 112lbs

We usually had deliveries of 10cwt (10 bags) at a time.

👍. Thanks for that.

6 hours ago, henrysmithsgloves said:

I was mainly East and Midlothian but heard plenty stories from West Lothian as well. Was rife throughout the seventies but petered out in the eighties as the pits closed and the miners who were eligible for concessionary coal dwindled.

henrysmithsgloves
4 hours ago, inspector said:

I was mainly East and Midlothian but heard plenty stories from West Lothian as well. Was rife throughout the seventies but petered out in the eighties as the pits closed and the miners who were eligible for concessionary coal dwindled.

Auld man missed out by three months for the coal allowance when he took redundancy,but was glad to finished with the pits. He was a mining deputy at polkemmet. Coal board were wanting to transfer him to monktonhall if I remember correctly,or bilston glen. One thing though the coal was good Welsh anthracite,not the crap nowadays.

4 hours ago, henrysmithsgloves said:

Auld man missed out by three months for the coal allowance when he took redundancy,but was glad to finished with the pits. He was a mining deputy at polkemmet. Coal board were wanting to transfer him to monktonhall if I remember correctly,or bilston glen. One thing though the coal was good Welsh anthracite,not the crap nowadays.

I am friends with Mick Mcgahey family . He was a decent guy