Inflation

jamb0_1874

The Dragon Reborn
1 minute ago, JamesM48 said:

A 6  pack of cheese and onion golden wonder crisps  now £ 2.30 when they used to be around £1.80   or sometimes lower.

Still just £1 in Asda. 

• Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ri Alban

• Unknown user

• The Mighty Thor

• JudyJudyJudy

JudyJudyJudy
1 minute ago, The Dragon Reborn said:

Still just £1 in Asda. 

golden wonder ? 

JudyJudyJudy
Just now, Tommy Brown said:

£1.25 in Tesco

im clearly shopping in the wrong place :)

Tommy Brown
Just now, JamesM48 said:

im clearly shopping in the wrong place :)

That's what you get for trying to be posh :whistling:

I get dragged round Tesco,Aldi & Home Bargains every weekend:vrface:

JudyJudyJudy
4 minutes ago, Tommy Brown said:

Its just cause its the nearest place to me. 

The Real Maroonblood
29 minutes ago, Tommy Brown said:

Can you not just sit in the trolley and behave yourself?

20 minutes ago, jonesy said:

Disappointed to see fellow Hearts fans using Golden Wonder crisps as a price barometer. 

Tyrell's and Kettle for the establishment team, please.

Or cashmere cardigans.

This.

I'm disappointed in James in this instance. Golden Wonder...(shakes head)

Nucky Thompson
1 hour ago, The Mighty Thor said:

Taking back control 👍

The IMF who never get anything right :rofl:

There was a financial expert on Sky news yesterday ripping their previous predictions 

41 minutes ago, Nucky Thompson said:

Maybe you should quote from something more reliable when looking for things to have a pop at the UK :lol:

IMF shows poor track record at forecasting recessions | Financial Times (ft.com) :cornette_dog:

Every year those idiots in Westminster (for as long as I can remember) come out with growth and borrowing predictions for the next 5 years. In 50 years theyve NEVER got anywhere near being remotely correct!!!

Edited by Pans Jambo

Nucky Thompson
5 minutes ago, Pans Jambo said:

Every year those idiots in Westminster (for as long as I can remember) come out with growth and borrowing predictions for the next 5 years. In 50 years theyve NEVER got anywhere near being remotely correct!!!

Exactly. Predicting growth and recessions are very hard to get right. That's why I wouldn't quote a tweet using the IMF report to blame the Global inflation crisis on Brexit

51 minutes ago, Nucky Thompson said:

Exactly. Predicting growth and recessions are very hard to get right. That's why I wouldn't quote a tweet using the IMF report to blame the Global inflation crisis on Brexit

I agree on that point but I am sure they wont be far wrong. It is a shit show thus far. 

5 hours ago, jonesy said:

Disappointed to see fellow Hearts fans using Golden Wonder crisps as a price barometer. 

Tyrell's and Kettle for the establishment team, please.

Or cashmere cardigans.

Pringles.

WorldChampions1902

We don’t need the IMF to tell us the U.K. economy is performing badly in comparison to its peers and will continue to underperform. The Brexit ‘dividend’ is a major factor in that.

Super dooper.

Scotland has already been thrown into economic turmoil by Brexit (and the permanent austerity brought in by this current junta when they took power in 2010)

So, if we're going to have economic turmoil anyways, why not do it on our own terms?

At least we'd have the powers to change fiscal policies and target spending for what Scotland needs.

Tommy Brown
2 hours ago, jonesy said:

Yer alright, cheers.

Hey Jonesy, they are cheap imitation Pringles.

Pringles are hand made by genuine oompa loompas

They reckon 52% will run out of money and be unable to pay their energy bills this summer. :(

Scrapping the NI rise and suspending the Green tax on energy prices, were two good suggestions I heard on GMB.

Edited by ri Alban

Nucky Thompson

In the last year the BBC have been trotting out people impacted by Covid/long Covid, now we're getting people daily who have to choose between heating and food.

I'm willing to bet that those folk will still find the money for fags, bevvy and drugs

Tommy Brown
11 minutes ago, Nucky Thompson said:

In the last year the BBC have been trotting out people impacted by Covid/long Covid, now we're getting people daily who have to choose between heating and food.

I'm willing to bet that those folk will still find the money for fags, bevvy and drugs

don't forget the tattoos

2 hours ago, Nucky Thompson said:

Staffie dug & Hoodie up when majority have taps aff...🥵

Jambo-Jimbo
2 hours ago, Nucky Thompson said:

The BBC were on about allotments & growing your own food this morning, even harked back to WWII and footage from the 40's & 50's.

3 hours ago, Nucky Thompson said:

Bet they don't.

Dennis Reynolds

Ah, the old people in poverty smoke, drink and do drugs line. 

Why don't they just stop being poor whilst they're at it?

The Mighty Thor
55 minutes ago, Dennis Reynolds said:

Ah, the old people in poverty smoke, drink and do drugs line. 

Why don't they just stop being poor whilst they're at it?

I think you'll find the phrase that pays is....

'they should get a joab likesy'

Meanwhile those toiling the most are the poor feckers who have a low paid job, sometimes two, who are not sponging benefits and are actually toiling to keep their heads above water, heat their homes, feed their kids, retain their dignity.

Imagine how that feels when you've got shitehawks bumping on about them having the audicity to have a telly and a mobile phone. 

There's some utter ***** in this world. 

WorldChampions1902
19 minutes ago, The Mighty Thor said:

Meanwhile those toiling the most are the poor feckers who have a low paid job, sometimes two, who are not sponging benefits and are actually toiling to keep their heads above water, heat their homes, feed their kids, retain their dignity.

Imagine how that feels when you've got shitehawks bumping on about them having the audicity to have a telly and a mobile phone. 

How very true. I have sussed out these individuals. They are mostly sad, bitter people who wish to see the less fortunate in society even more unhappy than they are. They continually conflate the small minority of ‘benefit chancers’ in society with the vast majority of decent genuine benefits claimants who through no fault of their own, find themselves having to seek State support whilst they strive to feed their families. Compare and contrast the relatively miniscule sums of benefits these ‘chancers’ bleed out of the system, with the gargantuan amounts of ‘state benefit’ the wealthy in society gain from tax breaks the ordinary working man can never benefit from, or the colossal amount of tax avoidance the wealthy indulge in and we don’t hear a peep from these same sad critics. 

Once again, the Right Wing media play their part in distraction of the hard of thinking which sadly, is very effective, as evidenced by the usual suspects on here.

29 minutes ago, The Mighty Thor said:

The reality is somewhere in the middle imo. There's dramatisation on both sides. I find it hard to believe that someone working full time on even the minimum wage would have a struggle feeding themselves or heating their home to a safe level provided they were prioritising their spending to do so. Equally, not having a TV or a mobile phone likely wouldn't make much difference and certainly a mobile is necessary to exist in modern life for a lot of things...and they aren't overly expensive so not having one won't suddenly have you shopping at Waitrose.

Someone on minimum wage struggling to eat but having sky TV and a new iPhone etc would get little sympathy from me...but I simply don't believe many of these people actually exist.

Jambo-Jimbo

Strap yourself in folks........the shit might be about to hit the fan.

There are growing fears that China or at least large parts of it are about to go into lockdown over rising covid cases such as we've already seen in Shanghai.  Stock markets around the world are tumbling over fears that supply chains are going to be badly affected.  This is going to put even more pressure on inflation, because lack of supply will push prices up even further.  The only slight benefit will be that the oil price will fall, which it's starting to do now.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-61215194

Japan Jambo
On 21/04/2022 at 11:48, Taffin said:

This.

I'm disappointed in James in this instance. Golden Wonder...(shakes head)

He is burnishing his man of the people creds :wink:

Nucky Thompson
2 hours ago, WorldChampions1902 said:

How very true. I have sussed out these individuals. They are mostly sad, bitter people who wish to see the less fortunate in society even more unhappy than they are. They continually conflate the small minority of ‘benefit chancers’ in society with the vast majority of decent genuine benefits claimants who through no fault of their own, find themselves having to seek State support whilst they strive to feed their families. Compare and contrast the relatively miniscule sums of benefits these ‘chancers’ bleed out of the system, with the gargantuan amounts of ‘state benefit’ the wealthy in society gain from tax breaks the ordinary working man can never benefit from, or the colossal amount of tax avoidance the wealthy indulge in and we don’t hear a peep from these same sad critics. 

Once again, the Right Wing media play their part in distraction of the hard of thinking which sadly, is very effective, as evidenced by the usual suspects on here.

Right wing media :rofl:

Those poor people sitting about the hoose all day smoking weed and drinking beer through no fault of their own :cornette:

You probably think that some ordinary working people don't become wealthy through sheer hard work.

All wealthy people were born into money?

You've got the cheek to criticise right wing media, when you're consumed by left wing media

6 minutes ago, Nucky Thompson said:

Right wing media :rofl:

Those poor people sitting about the hoose all day smoking weed and drinking beer through no fault of their own :cornette:

You probably think that some ordinary working people don't become wealthy through sheer hard work.

All wealthy people were born into money?

You've got the cheek to criticise right wing media, when you're consumed by left wing media

You're trolling used to be quite funny but you are now into Trump levels of bawbaggery. Tories really are the lowest of the low

Nucky Thompson
4 minutes ago, XB52 said:

You're trolling used to be quite funny but you are now into Trump levels of bawbaggery. Tories really are the lowest of the low

You only think it's trolling because you don't agree with it.

There's loads of things I don't agree with on here, but it's only someone else's opinion, which they're entitled too.

You should have kept me on ignore :thumbsup:

skinnybob72
8 hours ago, Taffin said:

The reality is somewhere in the middle imo. There's dramatisation on both sides. I find it hard to believe that someone working full time on even the minimum wage would have a struggle feeding themselves or heating their home to a safe level provided they were prioritising their spending to do so. Equally, not having a TV or a mobile phone likely wouldn't make much difference and certainly a mobile is necessary to exist in modern life for a lot of things...and they aren't overly expensive so not having one won't suddenly have you shopping at Waitrose.

Someone on minimum wage struggling to eat but having sky TV and a new iPhone etc would get little sympathy from me...but I simply don't believe many of these people actually exist.

Someone working 40 hours a week on minimum wage is taking home c£1400 a month after tax and NI.

You’ll be doing well to have been able to buy a house / get a mortgage so are likely renting - will be doing well to have rent of much less than £6-700 a month which leaves you under £200 a week to cover CT, gas, electricity, costs of getting to work, food, clothes, etc. if you have a family / kids and you are the only worker you’ll be struggling. 

The idea that folk on minimum wages - if they receive no other benefits - are living an easy life without tough choices is a bit wide of the mark. 

Edited by skinnybob72

The Mighty Thor
6 hours ago, skinnybob72 said:

Someone working 40 hours a week on minimum wage is taking home c£1400 a month after tax and NI.

You’ll be doing well to have been able to buy a house / get a mortgage so are likely renting - will be doing well to have rent of much less than £6-700 a month which leaves you under £200 a week to cover CT, gas, electricity, costs of getting to work, food, clothes, etc. if you have a family / kids and you are the only worker you’ll be struggling. 

The idea that folk on minimum wages - if they receive no other benefits - are living an easy life without tough choices is a bit wide of the mark. 

It's pretty stark when you see it laid out like that.

It'll not register with the mugs that swallow the daily Nazi/Express tropes or the Tory voting narcissists. 

Turns even if you 'get a joab' thanks to these self-serving wanks you're still up to your ears in the tam kite. 

8 hours ago, skinnybob72 said:

Don’t think anyone is saying people on minimum wage are living an easy life but it is easy to make things look worse if you completely ignore benefits they would receive using your example. I’d imagine £200-£300 a week missing from your sums. 

Unknown user
13 minutes ago, Dazo said:

Don’t think anyone is saying people on minimum wage are living an easy life but it is easy to make things look worse if you completely ignore benefits they would receive using your example. I’d imagine £200-£300 a week missing from your sums. 

What benefits will someone on 1400 a month after tax get that will increase their take home by 800-1200 quid?

Edited by Smithee

14 minutes ago, Smithee said:

What benefits will someone on 1400 a month after tax get that will increase their take home by 800-1200 quid?

As a minimum I’d imagine Universal credits, Child benefit, Scottish child payment. Maybe some others but obviously the universal credits would be the biggest amount. 

Unknown user
19 minutes ago, Dazo said:

As a minimum I’d imagine Universal credits, Child benefit, Scottish child payment. Maybe some others but obviously the universal credits would be the biggest amount. 

Universal credit is 324 a month and it's reduced by 55p for every pound you earn. They'll get nowt.

Child benefits is 22 quid a week for the oldest, 15 for any others.

Scottish child payment is 20 quid a week until the bairn's 6.

Anything else you'd imagine?

14 minutes ago, Smithee said:

Universal credit is 324 a month and it's reduced by 55p for every pound you earn. They'll get nowt.

Child benefits is 22 quid a week for the oldest, 15 for any others.

Scottish child payment is 20 quid a week until the bairn's 6.

Anything else you'd imagine?

I’d imagine your numbers are wrong Smithee. Not surprisingly though. 

Unknown user
2 minutes ago, Dazo said:

I’d imagine your numbers are wrong Smithee. Not surprisingly though. 

Stop digging, there's a good chap, this is all freely available information.

10 hours ago, skinnybob72 said:

That's a lot ifs there though. I'm not suggesting it's easy without tough choices, just that you're not going to starve or freeze.

There's lots of places you can rent for significantly less that £6-700 pcm. I just looked on Zoopla, there's a decent enough looking flat for rent for £450 pcm near where I live. Would it be where you or I would choose ideally? Possibly not; would I live there if I had less money than I do, most definitely.

All I'm saying is there's a middle ground. Is a life on the minimum wage wage hard financially living month to month? Yes. Is it a threat to your existence if you prioritise? No. Both ends of the spectrum are dramatising it imo. You've done it a bit with your numbers; there's thousands of places you can live for far less than £6-700 pcm, and the other end are miles wide of the mark thinking people are just lazy dossers.

Edit: just to be very clear, I don't think the status quo is good. I'm very against it, I'm just viewing it from a perspective of this is the current state of play. 

It's a joke that someone working full time can't afford a mortgage to buy their own place which would bring their monthly outgoings down and allow them to build equity.

Edited by Taffin

JudyJudyJudy
1 hour ago, Dazo said:

Its harder to work out what benefits a single person would get if they worked full time and were only on minimum wage. At a  guess id say not a lot as they wouldn't qualify for many due to being single. However if you are a single parent  , working or not with  say  two children, maybe one or both children have a  " disability" then that's a different story.  

Turn2us Benefits Calculator

The A to Z of benefits

Your situation - Turn2us

18 hours ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

Strap yourself in folks........the shit might be about to hit the fan.

There are growing fears that China or at least large parts of it are about to go into lockdown over rising covid cases such as we've already seen in Shanghai.  Stock markets around the world are tumbling over fears that supply chains are going to be badly affected.  This is going to put even more pressure on inflation, because lack of supply will push prices up even further.  The only slight benefit will be that the oil price will fall, which it's starting to do now.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-61215194

Petrol has went up another penny from what it was the other week. 

If oil is going to come down it’s about time it came down at the pump as well 

JudyJudyJudy
28 minutes ago, theshed said:

Petrol has went up another penny from what it was the other week. 

If oil is going to come down it’s about time it came down at the pump as well 

Sainsburys " Jam tarts" have went up from £1 to  £1.10    10% rise in a week. 

JudyJudyJudy
9 minutes ago, jonesy said:

The establishment snack comes at a premium, James.

True 👍😎