Inflation

jamb0_1874

Jambo_jim2001
30 minutes ago, Tazio said:

I’ve just seen a post on Facebook from someone I know. Their mum is in a care home which is skinning them for £1700 a week which they’ve, obviously, had to sell her house to cover. They went to visit her today and were given a letter saying the fees are going up by £800 a month. I appreciate staffing costs etc but £7600 a month!! 

That is a disgrace🤬🤬

• Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ri Alban

• Unknown user

• The Mighty Thor

• JudyJudyJudy

6 hours ago, Tazio said:

I’ve just seen a post on Facebook from someone I know. Their mum is in a care home which is skinning them for £1700 a week which they’ve, obviously, had to sell her house to cover. They went to visit her today and were given a letter saying the fees are going up by £800 a month. I appreciate staffing costs etc but £7600 a month!! 

Wow! I'm shocked at how high that is. I actually didn't believe you and thought you may have had wires crossed. Thought you might've meant £1,700 per month. I googled average care home prices and it's around £900 per week and I was shocked at how high it was. S can quite believe if that's the average, your frined could well be paying around £1,700.

Why are the Government not subsidising costs!

joondalupjambo

Chancellor doing a great job on BBC saying what he did was all he could do.  Nice presentation, sure all those struggling will be more than happy to applaud him.

He eats seeded Hovis.  Trendy.  Gone up 20p he says.  Need to dip into his saving jar to cover that then.

Edited by joondalupjambo

3 hours ago, jambo89 said:

Wow! I'm shocked at how high that is. I actually didn't believe you and thought you may have had wires crossed. Thought you might've meant £1,700 per month. I googled average care home prices and it's around £900 per week and I was shocked at how high it was. S can quite believe if that's the average, your frined could well be paying around £1,700.

They were in the unfortunate position of being mid covid crisis when she needed to go into the care home and the choices were very limited as a lot weren’t taking new people. It meant them having to take one in Edinburgh as they couldn’t find one in fife near where the old lady lived. I’m not actually sure what happens when the money they got from her house sale runs out in terms of the charges. A horrendous situation for her family. My friend is quite a feisty person and put the post in social media as she was asking if anyone had any good contacts in the press to make the issue out there. 

11 hours ago, Greedy Jambo said:

It's costing me about £20 just to fill a quarter of the tank, so i'll be saving 75p on that? 

Jesus christ. 

If a litre of fuel was £1.35 you would, it's probably about 60p saving.

Cheaper if I wasn't here. Shite times when you start to thinking like that. Bust your arse for feck all fun.

JudyJudyJudy
13 minutes ago, ri Alban said:

Cheaper if I wasn't here. Shite times when you start to thinking like that. Bust your arse for feck all fun.

That’s why you Spend it before you croak it . One of my single friends is a right tight wad . I mean really scrimps with his money . He’s loaded . But I have told Him you can’t take it with you and also if he gets I’ll he will need to Flogg his house and savings to pay for an old folks home. . Enjoy life now ffs 

20 minutes ago, JamesM48 said:

That’s why you Spend it before you croak it . One of my single friends is a right tight wad . I mean really scrimps with his money . He’s loaded . But I have told Him you can’t take it with you and also if he gets I’ll he will need to Flogg his house and savings to pay for an old folks home. . Enjoy life now ffs 

Sometimes it gets to you. And you shouldn't have to work 7 days a week so you can enjoy a tex mex and Pringles.  

Feck it, I'll go back to this. :olly:

skinnybob72
8 hours ago, jambo89 said:

My wife works in care homes, she left one a couple of years ago as it changed hands and the new company (Mansfield Care) immediately worsened the pay / holidays of the staff - in breach of TUPE laws.

I looked at their accounts and the profits they make are staggering. Year to end March 2021 (so in the worst of the pandemic where PPI costs would have soared) they made a gross profit of over £4m on a turnover of £10m - that is a hell of a profit margin!! 

JudyJudyJudy
30 minutes ago, ri Alban said:

Sometimes it gets to you. And you shouldn't have to work 7 days a week so you can enjoy a tex mex and Pringles.  

Feck it, I'll go back to this. :olly:

😂😂

1 hour ago, skinnybob72 said:

My wife works in care homes, she left one a couple of years ago as it changed hands and the new company (Mansfield Care) immediately worsened the pay / holidays of the staff - in breach of TUPE laws.

I looked at their accounts and the profits they make are staggering. Year to end March 2021 (so in the worst of the pandemic where PPI costs would have soared) they made a gross profit of over £4m on a turnover of £10m - that is a hell of a profit margin!! 

Incredible really. I had assumed that care staff don't get paid too well, so cannot fathom how £1,700 per week is justifiable! 

Pretty disgusting and it your turnover / profit example is mental!

Jambo-Jimbo
3 hours ago, JamesM48 said:

Worked with someone like that, he worked all the hours he could, didn't smoke, drink, go out, saved like feck, planned to travel the World when he retired, died within 6 months of retiring having been on one bus trip, he was single, no family, no living relations and didn't leave a will, the state got every penny from his estate, what a fecking waste especially not leaving a will, but he was of the opinion that he'd live for years because he didn't smoke or drink, eat all the right things and had never been ill, yeh never ill until the day he keeled over, was dead before he hit the ground seemingly.

So yeh, if you've got it spend it.

Jambo-Jimbo
3 hours ago, skinnybob72 said:

Pay peanuts, treat staff like shit, constantly short staffed often dangeriously so, charge families the earth, make huge profits as well, it's all about the profit.

I could say more but as this is a public forum it's better that I didn't, all I will say is I know 2 people who worked in Mansfield Care homes and your wife had a lucky escape by leaving.

5 hours ago, ri Alban said:

Chin up ri. Think of all the guff chat on here you can enjoy for free!! 

The Real Maroonblood
25 minutes ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

Pay peanuts, treat staff like shit, constantly short staffed often dangeriously so, charge families the earth, make huge profits as well, it's all about the profit.

I could say more but as this is a public forum it's better that I didn't, all I will say is I know 2 people who worked in Mansfield Care homes and your wife had a lucky escape by leaving.

Sound a horrendous company.

Jambo-Jimbo
17 minutes ago, The Real Maroonblood said:

Sound a horrendous company.

Sadly nothing all that unique about them as there are many more like them, nowadays.

4 hours ago, Taffin said:

Chin up ri. Think of all the guff chat on here you can enjoy for free!! 

Years of Terror after 911, The Global crash, austerity, Neverending Tory governments and back to unaffordable necessities, well I'm a bit sick of it. Especially when we had the chance to change it forever and shat it.

Jambo_jim2001
1 hour ago, ri Alban said:

Years of Terror after 911, The Global crash, austerity, Neverending Tory governments and back to unaffordable necessities, well I'm a bit sick of it. Especially when we had the chance to change it forever and shat it.

Felt the same as you mate after working my backside off here and abroad for  years,took early retirement last January, I'm certainly not well off,but have a better quality of life,no amount of money can buy health. Don't let the fookers drag you down👍👍

4 hours ago, Jambo_jim2001 said:

Felt the same as you mate after working my backside off here and abroad for  years,took early retirement last January, I'm certainly not well off,but have a better quality of life,no amount of money can buy health. Don't let the fookers drag you down👍👍

👍

Why do we just accept this shit. Maybe one day the people will actually do something about the piss getting ripped out of us. One day.

Harry Potter
3 hours ago, ri Alban said:

Why do we just accept this shit. Maybe one day the people will actually do something about the piss getting ripped out of us. One day.

Feel sorry for folk on low incomes, they were toiling before, now they must be struggling,

wait till elect and gas goes through the roof, something has to be done NOW.

On 24/03/2022 at 05:19, jambo89 said:

Because tories own the care homes and tories are shareholders in the care homes unyet the carers will be on MINIMUM wage.

19 hours ago, skinnybob72 said:

BOOM!!!

Greedy barstewards!

Jambo-Jimbo

As an example that it's not just the UK that's suffering higher energy costs, I seen a piece on France24 this morning, they were reporting about demonstrations in Rome yesterday about the cost of gas/electric. 

One woman said that her gas bill had risen from €170 (£142) last month to €270 (£225) this month, and that's in Rome where I'm sure the temperature is going to be much warmer than here, even in March.

£225 gas usage for one month, what the hell has she got?

3 hours ago, Harry Potter said:

Feel sorry for folk on low incomes, they were toiling before, now they must be struggling,

wait till elect and gas goes through the roof, something has to be done NOW.

Tax decrease in two year time, as a bribe for reelection. We need it now. Politicians are horrible *****.

Harry Potter
9 minutes ago, ri Alban said:

Petrol stations, as predicted haven't passed on the tax cut. Dirty greedy *******s.

less sales though, folk have had enough, 

1 minute ago, Harry Potter said:

One of the kit boys on my site put 45 bangers in his motor and it didn't go past halfway. He was fecking spewing. 

No not sausages or fireworks. : ✌️

18 hours ago, ri Alban said:

They can start by not voting Tory.

Jambo_jim2001

Bag of coal up £6 a bag to £24 seemingly 90% of coal came from Russia. Hope the greens keep planting trees🤣👍

Jambo_jim2001
4 hours ago, Harry Potter said:

Local fuel stations put up 10p night before then took the 5p off. Diesel is 20p a litre more at £1.84.

joondalupjambo

We could have gone for a drive today instead took the bus ( free old codgers pass) to Crail and walked back (free) to Lundin Links. Mind you lunch in Elie was 45 quid oh that went well😄

Edited by joondalupjambo

Jambo_jim2001
4 hours ago, ri Alban said:

One of the kit boys on my site put 45 bangers in his motor and it didn't go past halfway. He was fecking spewing. 

No not sausages or fireworks. : ✌️

lhpeq.jpg

joondalupjambo
5 hours ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

As an example that it's not just the UK that's suffering higher energy costs, I seen a piece on France24 this morning, they were reporting about demonstrations in Rome yesterday about the cost of gas/electric. 

One woman said that her gas bill had risen from €170 (£142) last month to €270 (£225) this month, and that's in Rome where I'm sure the temperature is going to be much warmer than here, even in March.

And the key thing be to take from that is demonstrations.  Here we moan on TV JKB and Fatbook.  We need placards and banners held up by old folk in the streets.  Whose to with me😄

WorldChampions1902
6 hours ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

A cannabis farm?  :pimp2:

Tommy Brown
2 hours ago, joondalupjambo said:

We could have gone for a drive today instead took the bus ( free old codgers pass) to Crail and walked back (free) to Lundin Links. Mind you lunch in Elie was 45 quid oh that went well😄

Must be a long walk that??

Good on you.

joondalupjambo
9 minutes ago, Tommy Brown said:

Must be a long walk that??

Good on you.

Cheers.

16.25 miles if you include us wandering round in circles exhausted as we climbed the hill back up from Lower Largo to the house😄 

We do it two or three times a year just to keep our hand in.  Guess one day it will be too much😄

• 2 weeks later...
Tommy Brown

I got switched to Octopus when Avro did a Rangers. 

Did a wee exercise with my new figures.

A 68% increase in what I was paying last month. Ouch.

Roughly £131 pm to £221 pm 4 bed house

Electric Daily charge £86.43 to £180.24.

Electricity up 45%, gas 94%

Shit just got real.

Hopefully something wrong in how gas is worked out.

Jambo-Jimbo
11 hours ago, Tommy Brown said:

I got switched to Octopus when Avro did a Rangers. 

Did a wee exercise with my new figures.

A 68% increase in what I was paying last month. Ouch.

Roughly £131 pm to £221 pm 4 bed house

Electric Daily charge £86.43 to £180.24.

Electricity up 45%, gas 94%

Shit just got real.

Hopefully something wrong in how gas is worked out.

Probably not far away with the gas, as mine went from 4.01p per kWh to 7.33p per kWh, almost doubled in price.

Oh the shit just got real indeed and it's going to get worse next winter when the price cap goes up by at least another £600, a lot of folks will not be able to turn the heating on next winter, they simply won't be able to afford it.

Aye, a big price increase in gas and leccy just before summer is one thing.

Another big hike just before winter is going to be breaking point for many people.

7 hours ago, Cade said:

Aye, a big price increase in gas and leccy just before summer is one thing.

Another big hike just before winter is going to be breaking point for many people.

But they'll do nothing for us until it's GE time. Cannae stop these companies investment in UK O and G. :Aye:  I mean, stop these thieves, stuffing their shareholders swiss bank accounts , with excess profits from our resources in Scotland.

2 hours ago, ri Alban said:

But they'll do nothing for us until it's GE time. Cannae stop these companies investment in UK O and G. :Aye:  I mean, stop these thieves, stuffing their shareholders swiss bank accounts , with excess profits from our resources in Scotland.

It's exactly what they are. Shell Paid zero tax in the UK last year (techinally it did, but once it received it's £100 million rebate, it was effectively zero).

Nucky Thompson
6 hours ago, ri Alban said:

Lets ramp up oil production in the north of the British isles.

The UK government are sitting on a pot of gold :sweeet:

"We want low tax and cheap fuel!"

Sounds very Tory...yet all occuring under the Tories.

The 2020s are an odd place in time.

Benefits and pension up 3%.

£20 uplift removed.

Inflation at 6% (aye right it's more like 8-10)

Summer of discontent ahead? Or will the tory voting sheep just suck it up?

Tommy Brown
12 minutes ago, Cade said:

Benefits and pension up 3%.

£20 uplift removed.

Inflation at 6% (aye right it's more like 8-10)

Summer of discontent ahead? Or will the tory voting sheep just suck it up?

you say 8-10, I say loads more☹️

what are the key things keeping it lower than I am seeing.

Fuel, energy, weekly shop, car prices are all the obvious things I see that are way above 10%

What the hell is meant to be counerbalancing it?

Jambo-Jimbo

Just looked at how much energy we've used this month.

In the first 11 days since gas/electric went up we've used just over £47, that's roughly half of our previous 2 months bills of February & March at £93 each, half in just 11 days.

We are not big users of energy, typically on the lower end of average usage and even our usage will cost about £40-£50 pm more.

I dread to think what a family, especially with young kids is going to cost now with washing machine/tumble dryer on everyday or pensioners whose only income is the state pension, how are they going to manage this rise in energy prices, especially on top of all the other rises.

And as for this £200 energy loan we are all getting in October, I don't want it, but seemingly you don't have a choice, if I did I'd rather not have it.