Inflation

jamb0_1874

John Gentleman

Some horror stories on this thread. Prices are rocketing downunder too, but nothing like the UK - especially basic energy needs. Cannae help but feel, globally, we're all on the edge of some sort of precipice. I've no idea how this will all play out..........except that the rich will continue to get richer, of course. Cash-up during cheap money times; buy cheap assets during the crashes. That's their recipe. Maybe the rest of us will be left riding bikes?

Plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose and all that......

• Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ri Alban

• Unknown user

• The Mighty Thor

• JudyJudyJudy

5 hours ago, Taffin said:

"We want low tax and cheap fuel!"

Sounds very Tory...yet all occuring under the Tories.

The 2020s are an odd place in time.

I have no problems paying higher tax for the right reasons . Not to pay back the debt these ***** racked up on PPE contracts and track and trace that didn't work.

2 minutes ago, ri Alban said:

I have no problems paying higher tax for the right reasons . Not to pay back the debt these ***** racked up on PPE contracts and track and trace that didn't work.

The right reasons are different to everyone though. I agree with you on this one, but sadly we don't get to pick what are taxes are spent on, other than at the ballot box.

I'm in favour of paying 60%, 70% tax...but only if it's spent on what I want and not what I don't.

Unfortunately the cretins amongst us voted this lot it into power and gave them a mandate, and the spooked gave them wriggle room to emergency pandemic react without following due process...which they exploited all too happily.

1 hour ago, ri Alban said:

:spoton: The working population are being forced to pay for the biggest theft in UK history.

48 minutes ago, ri Alban said:

I have no problems paying higher tax for the right reasons. Not pay back debts paisley scaffs racked up on claiming furlough grants while working for cash. 

27 minutes ago, Dazo said:

I have no problems paying higher tax for the right reasons. Not pay back debts paisley scaffs racked up on claiming furlough grants while working for cash. 

But HMRC have written off £4billion in fraudulently claimed Furlough.

It's not being paid back, or reclaimed from the fraudsters.

Most of that fraud was decent sized companies, not individual people.

There'd be a lot of cash-in-hand sole traders around if you think they racked up that £4billion.

The Mighty Thor
2 hours ago, Dazo said:

Are the right reasons lining the pockets of Michelle Mone and Matt Hancock's pub landlord. 

Billions stolen and pumped into the sky rockets of Spaffer's chums and sponsors. 

Aye but it's the paisley scaffs 😂

Mug punters swallow the right wing tropes of the Nazi and Express.

The penny never drops as to who really is ripping the pish. Never. 

Lone Striker

imo, if you genuinely want to help aspects of your community and the less fortunate folk who live in it, then paying more tax isn't the answer - it'll just get swallowed up  by general government spending.      Much better to find local organisations or charities which do very good work to help folk, and fire some regular donations off to them if you can afford to.   There's also NHS charities too.     Or leave something in your will to them.   

Is there a government anywhere in the world who can be trusted to spend your money in a way that satisfies  your own moral standards ?  

8 hours ago, Cade said:

:spoton: The working population are being forced to pay for the biggest theft in UK history.

This corrupt Chancellor has written off all the money forked out to the companies he gifted billions to, that didn't even produce the equipment needed. And something tells me, he has shares on a few of the companies. 

Hopefully the law will come a calling for this wee rodent. 

The normal folk will be paying back their loans for a decades. Why the population allow this, us beyond me. If the British had any backbone, they'd hang these *******s from tower bridge.

Edited by ri Alban

On 12/04/2022 at 06:16, Lone Striker said:

imo, if you genuinely want to help aspects of your community and the less fortunate folk who live in it, then paying more tax isn't the answer - it'll just get swallowed up  by general government spending.      Much better to find local organisations or charities which do very good work to help folk, and fire some regular donations off to them if you can afford to.   There's also NHS charities too.     Or leave something in your will to them.   

Is there a government anywhere in the world who can be trusted to spend your money in a way that satisfies  your own moral standards ?  

Paying more tax won't help at all. Govt spending our tax money could be improved though.

There's already enough capital around. Problemsis it's all owned by a select few.

11 hours ago, The Mighty Thor said:

Are the right reasons lining the pockets of Michelle Mone and Matt Hancock's pub landlord. 

Billions stolen and pumped into the sky rockets of Spaffer's chums and sponsors. 

Aye but it's the paisley scaffs 😂

Mug punters swallow the right wing tropes of the Nazi and Express.

The penny never drops as to who really is ripping the pish. Never. 

People in gjass houses, he without sin etc etc Thor that is all. 

Interesting to see what fraud you and Cade think is okay and what isn’t. Tory fraud 😢 Everyone else 👍

The Mighty Thor
1 hour ago, Dazo said:

People in gjass houses, he without sin etc etc Thor that is all. 

Interesting to see what fraud you and Cade think is okay and what isn’t. Tory fraud 😢 Everyone else 👍

That kind of works when everyone is at the shenanigans but this particular government have committed theft, because that is exactly what it is, on a staggering scale over the course of the pandemic. Billions. Literally billions of pounds syphoned out the public purse and into the pockets of their friends, donors, sponsors and ultimately their own pockets.

If you want to bring actual cases of other non-Tory fraud up then aye we'll bash them about while we're at it but right now we're talking about these horrible shitehawks preaching austerity to you and me and then stealing billions for their mates and themselves. 

All fraud is bad.

Chancers working cash in hand and claiming furlough is bad.

Chancers working cash in hand and keeping off the books is bad.

Chancers borrowing billions on the international markets and giving it all to their friends, family and party donors is bad.

It's all a matter of scale.

£1.7 billion a year is lost to tax Avoidance (chancers trying to use loopholes to lower their tax bill)

£4.6 billion a year is lost to tax Evasion (chancers just plain not paying what they're due)

£14.8 billion was spent on PPE contracts, most of which delivered shite kit that couldn't be used.

£37 billion was spunked on Test&Trace, which failed to slow the spread of infection, failed to chart the course of infection spread and failed to prevent a 2nd national lockdown.
Test&Trace did absolutely nothing but waste £37 billion.

Then the Supreme Court ruled that the Government's "pals only" VIP PPE contract express lane was illegal.

Wee Davey doon the barras selling dodgy gear and not paying tax is a shitehawk.

Government ministers giving their pals hundreds of millions of pounds without any measurable positive effect are bigger shitehawks.

Edited by Cade

SuperstarSteve
5 minutes ago, Cade said:

All fraud is bad.

Chancers working cash in hand and claiming furlough is bad.

Chancers working cash in hand and keeping off the books is bad.

Chancers borrowing billions on the international markets and giving it all to their friends, family and party donors is bad.

It's all a matter of scale.

£1.7 billion a year is lost to tax Avoidance (chancers trying to use loopholes to lower their tax bill)

£4.6 billion a year is lost to tax Evasion (chancers just plain not paying what they're due)

£14.8 billion was spent on PPE contracts, most of which delivered shite kit that couldn't be used.

£37 billion was spunked on Test&Trace, which failed to slow the spread of infection, failed to chart the course of infection spread and failed to prevent a 2nd national lockdown.
Test&Trace did absolutely nothing but waste £37 billion.

Then the Supreme Court ruled that the Government's "pals only" VIP PPE contract express lane was illegal.

Wee Davey doon the barras selling dodgy gear and not paying tax is a shitehawk.

Government ministers giving their pals hundreds of millions of pounds without any measurable positive effect are bigger shitehawks.

Me and my old boy were discussing fraud last night. He was of the opinion digital cash is inevitable at some point in the future. No more drug dealing and self employed money going under the radar. Everything will be tax’d. I’m no sure a government that the public barely trust can pull of an all digital money society but it was an interesting convo. 

37 minutes ago, SuperstarSteve said:

Me and my old boy were discussing fraud last night. He was of the opinion digital cash is inevitable at some point in the future. No more drug dealing and self employed money going under the radar. Everything will be tax’d. I’m no sure a government that the public barely trust can pull of an all digital money society but it was an interesting convo. 

Tories would absolutely love moving away from cash currency to digital only. Be like the Chinese social credit system and then they can decide where/when/what you spend your own money on. They could stop you spending it on anything they deem as being unsuitable...like fags, a bevvy or a fish super if think you've had too much of those that month. Or if you had debt, they could decide that you were paying more towards your credit card this month. How could you stop them?

Very dangerous IMO.

46 minutes ago, Pans Jambo said:

Tories would absolutely love moving away from cash currency to digital only. Be like the Chinese social credit system and then they can decide where/when/what you spend your own money on. They could stop you spending it on anything they deem as being unsuitable...like fags, a bevvy or a fish super if think you've had too much of those that month. Or if you had debt, they could decide that you were paying more towards your credit card this month. How could you stop them?

Very dangerous IMO.

More likely to stop you paying down your debt so they and their pals (with fingers in the lending industry pies) can squeeze more interest out of the little man. 

7 minutes ago, gjcc said:

More likely to stop you paying down your debt so they and their pals (with fingers in the lending industry pies) can squeeze more interest out of the little man. 

Indeed.

In any case its a very dangerous thing to potentially have a government control your finances and in turn, your movements and freedom of choice along with it. Hopefully, I will be pushing up daisy's before that shit ever happens. 

4 hours ago, Pans Jambo said:

Very dangerous IMO.

Negative interest rates. 

Imagine if digital only currency existed when the banks needed bailed out...

Weakened Offender
On 07/04/2022 at 10:19, Nucky Thompson said:

Lets ramp up oil production in the north of the British isles.

The UK government are sitting on a pot of gold :sweeet:

Sad wee troll 😁

On 12/04/2022 at 21:31, SuperstarSteve said:

Just another step in controlling the masses, (that's us), on the pretext of saving the country money. The clock's stopping at 1984...!

6 hours ago, Weakened Offender said:

Sad wee troll 😁

Na, he's serious. He'd have fought for the English at Culloden and the wars of independence. These Plastics are aw the same. He even goes south so he can tell them how much of a good boy he's been. :welldone: Well done , Jock, well done. You're nearly one of us.

Edited by ri Alban

Nucky Thompson
1 hour ago, ri Alban said:

Na, he's serious. He'd have fought for the English at Culloden and the wars of independence. These Plastics are aw the same. He even goes south so he can tell them how much of a good boy he's been. :welldone: Well done , Jock, well done. You're nearly one of us.

I would have fought for the British at Culloden. Prince Charlie's forces were all mercenaries from different European countries with a few Clans flung in :thumbsup:

I hardly speak to an English person when I go south, the place is full of Scots.

Weakened Offender
2 hours ago, ri Alban said:

He goes South to drink carry oots in his Tinkervan 😁

🤣Only pulling yer leg, @Nucky Thompson.

Anyway, Inflation has hit a 30 year high( I wonder who was in power then 🤔) at 7% . Double figures not far away and hopefully the public will lynch that scruffy, fat useless feck, who runs our lives the same way he looks. A shambles.

Nucky Thompson
20 minutes ago, Weakened Offender said:

He goes South to drink carry oots in his Tinkervan 😁

Aye, when I went south during the pandemic, I was still watching live bands, while you were hiding in the hoose with your mask on.

2 minutes ago, Nucky Thompson said:

Aye, when I went south during the pandemic, I was still watching live bands, while you were hiding in the hoose with your mask on.

:rofl:No you weren't. Camp fire fiddles ain't live gigs.

Sorry made masel laugh 😂

Edited by ri Alban

Nucky Thompson

I should start getting a return on my savings now that the banks will be ramping up the interest rates.

More bad news for people who rely on borrowing though 

JudyJudyJudy

Got an email from my lecky company and my lecky monthly dd has increased by almost 60% ,  I can afford to pay it but i do feel for those who are on low incomes etc. It must be a real shock and worry for them at the present time. 

Weakened Offender
2 hours ago, Nucky Thompson said:

Live bands at Chaverton Castle 😁😁😁

JudyJudyJudy
23 hours ago, SuperstarSteve said:

I completely agree re digital cash becoming inevitable . Not that I agree with it . However not sure if anyone else has noticed this , but places seem to try and discourage cash sales now ? I’ve certainly noticed it . In supermarkets there are hardly any self service units for cash . And in various other places you get a look as if your a money launderer if you want to pay by cash . I now mostly pay by cash and I’ve noticed this . I’ve found it easier to keep track of my money doing this and how I spending . Only issue is yes people do think Your a crook if you have a wad of cash on you 😂😂

7 hours ago, Nucky Thompson said:

I should start getting a return on my savings now that the banks will be ramping up the interest rates.

More bad news for people who rely on borrowing though 

What's the mortgage rates like? I've never really been minded to buy, but as I get older, I'm more inclined.

6 hours ago, JamesM48 said:

Got an email from my lecky company and my lecky monthly dd has increased by almost 60% ,  I can afford to pay it but i do feel for those who are on low incomes etc. It must be a real shock and worry for them at the present time. 

Going up again in October. Torture.

Harry Potter

baxters soup 1.71 in scotmid, taking the piss now, theres no way they can justify this, its a free for all

regarding prices now.

Rip off big time.

While im here 26 pounds odd for organic steak in tescos, ha ha ha, dont think so.

Edited by Harry Potter

2 minutes ago, Harry Potter said:

baxters soup 1.71 in scotmid, taking the piss now, theres no way they can justify this, its a free for all

regarding prices now.

Rip off big time.

While im here 26 pounds odd for organic steak in tescos, ha ha ha, dont think so.

I do our main family shop online on Tesco for delivery. I test the price creep every week  by putting the same order in to get the price estimate before adjusting it to what we need this week. It's not an exact science as they obfuscate some of the rises with special offers, or those offers the previous week lapse and the basket price goes up. But the basket this week was up by over £5, for the exact same list of items, and it's never been less week on week since I started keeping a closer eye on it. 

What this is like for working families who already had a tight budget I dread to think. We are actually at the point where people referred to foodbanks are asking for foods that won't need heated to eat due to their worries over the electricity cost. :(

The Real Maroonblood
5 minutes ago, Gizmo said:

I do our main family shop online on Tesco for delivery. I test the price creep every week  by putting the same order in to get the price estimate before adjusting it to what we need this week. It's not an exact science as they obfuscate some of the rises with special offers, or those offers the previous week lapse and the basket price goes up. But the basket this week was up by over £5, for the exact same list of items, and it's never been less week on week since I started keeping a closer eye on it. 

What this is like for working families who already had a tight budget I dread to think. We are actually at the point where people referred to foodbanks are asking for foods that won't need heated to eat due to their worries over the electricity cost. :(

Just remember we’re all in it together.

Except the UK government (Junta.)

Jambo-Jimbo
8 minutes ago, Gizmo said:

Yeh, seen that on the news, what a situation when people can't afford to cook free food.

indianajones
36 minutes ago, Harry Potter said:

regarding prices now.

Rip off big time.

A massive ribeye at my local butcher is usually around a tenner. 

Something needs done with this shite. Public getting fleeced. 

Cornflakes with water, when the milk price doubles . I buy Oat milk and if that doubles, they can blow it oot their arse. It's wan 80 as it is .

Edited by ri Alban

SwindonJambo

Shite as it is, inflation is by no means unique to the U.K. The CPI rates for the Eurozone and the US are currently 7.5% and  8.5% respectively, both even worse than here.

4 hours ago, SwindonJambo said:

Shite as it is, inflation is by no means unique to the U.K. The CPI rates for the Eurozone and the US are currently 7.5% and  8.5% respectively, both even worse than here.

I don't live there, so who gives a feck. 

Deflection and whataboutism.

Edited by ri Alban

On 14/04/2022 at 03:03, ri Alban said:

Cornflakes with water, when the milk price doubles . I buy Oat milk and if that doubles, they can blow it oot their arse. It's wan 80 as it is .

Soak some cheap oats in cold water. Squeeze the water out and that's how you get oat milk. And you can still make porridge with the oats......your welcome..👍

On 12/04/2022 at 21:31, SuperstarSteve said:

Once we're all cashless and digital, the banks can just turn us off like they did Russia.

6 hours ago, SwindonJambo said:

The joys of a global economy... I guess the question is are their figures more realistic than ours.

The Mighty Thor
7 hours ago, SwindonJambo said:

I believe the measure of inflation is different in the Euro zone and US.

Ie the basket of products and services is different from the UK

1 hour ago, Section Q said:

Soak some cheap oats in cold water. Squeeze the water out and that's how you get oat milk. And you can still make porridge with the oats......your welcome..👍

:D Will do.  👍