• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ri Alban

• Unknown user

• The Mighty Thor

• JudyJudyJudy

1 hour ago, theshed said:

Two pints of moretti on Saturday was roughly £12 if I mind right. 
In tesco today and bought case of 12 for same price 

Never been a house drinker till lockdown but I’m only going to be going out once every month or two at those prices and will have a drink at home esp with summer on the horizon 

If I’m out with the mrs all day Saturday with a meal included you get no change out of £200 nowadays 

Yeah same. Out Saturday and it’s a monthly treat now

1 minute ago, Pans Jambo said:

£1.60/litre diesel in Asda. Jeezo!

Was £65 to fill my car 3 months ago. Now £100

2 minutes ago, 1971fozzy said:

Was £65 to fill my car 3 months ago. Now £100

£80 this morning for me. Brutal. 

skinnybob72

Thing is that the increase in fuel and gas prices will feed through into everything else. And then when folks disposable income has been sucked dry you will see non essential businesses going under. 

The GOV are asleep at the wheel with all of this - it’s going to be utter carnage for an enormous number of families, and will include families where more than one person is in full time employment. 

I saw a thing today saying everyone should submit a meter reading on the 31st of March or before as the price increases will apply from the 1st of April and if you don't submit you will end up paying the new higher rate for energy used before the 1st of April. 

Captain Sausage
8 hours ago, theshed said:

I see your in london but a mortgage of £1500 a month 😱😱

7 hours ago, Jambo_jim2001 said:

download.jpeg

84sqm of prime time ex council house….

Oil price down to $112, yet Petrol goes up and up. 

And extra oil has been released and more to be released. But still it goes up .

Edited by ri Alban

il Duce McTarkin
13 minutes ago, ri Alban said:

In amongst the necessary price rises, the usual rampant profiteering will be going on.

2 minutes ago, Dirk McClaymore said:

In amongst the necessary price rises, the usual rampant profiteering will be going on.

Now a windfall tax can be enforced without the Chancellor and the SG greetin about jobs and investment. This is plain gluttony.

Tommy Brown
5 hours ago, Tazio said:

I saw a thing today saying everyone should submit a meter reading on the 31st of March or before as the price increases will apply from the 1st of April and if you don't submit you will end up paying the new higher rate for energy used before the 1st of April. 

Martin Lewis mentioned it the other night. I must put in in diary and not forget.

A very good point.

Tommy Brown
16 hours ago, Tommy Brown said:

I need to check this for myself.

Mrs B spoke on phone to a friend and was told diesel at Newbridge was £1.99.9.

Fairfield showing the same on my app.:eek:

Screenshot_20220309-130220_PetrolPrices.jpg

There was an article on this filling station in Edinburgh Live.

Independent profiteering bar stewards.

Only ever use it this place when desperate, always a bit dearer than others close by.

199.9p for Deisel

Edited by Tommy Brown

joondalupjambo

As we know inflation causes issues across the board in terms of cost of items and services, wages, share prices and pension pots.  It is usually a blip in the road but this time round the one opportunity we have is to take a long, hard look at how we live.

Have we bought stuff, just because we can rather than needing it?

Do we really need two or more cars in our household?

Do we keep on buying cheap stuff rather than taking the opportunity to make it locally in the UK?

Can we help ourselves and our well being e.g. walk and cycle more?

Does junior really need the latest and best?

Do we need to keep up with Jones's?

Did we really need that pizza oven in the garden?😄😄

Do we really need to fill up the kettle for one cup of coffee?😄😄

The list could go on and on and on.  However for me every negative offers can offer an opportunity.  This rapid rise in inflation alongside some very hefty, specific price increases are a massive negative but taking stock of finances, making life choices and what can be done to limit the threats and offer opportunity.  It is maybe even the jolt many need to do this.

I totally appreciate all this is scary, will be devastating for many and of course many will not be able to see opportunity or even any hope.  I can only see it the way I see it which is not necessarily right.  However if people can sit back and work out a plan that suits them there might at least a way to reduce the fear, cut costs and come up with a new lifestyle.

As a famous Scotsman once said, Don't panic Captain.

14 minutes ago, joondalupjambo said:

As we know inflation causes issues across the board in terms of cost of items and services, wages, share prices and pension pots.  It is usually a blip in the road but this time round the one opportunity we have is to take a long, hard look at how we live.

Do we keep on buying cheap stuff rather than taking the opportunity to make it locally in the UK?

The list could go on and on and on.  However for me every negative offers can offer an opportunity.  This rapid rise in inflation alongside some very hefty, specific price increases are a massive negative but taking stock of finances, making life choices and what can be done to limit the threats and offer opportunity.  It is maybe even the jolt many need to do this.

I totally appreciate all this is scary, will be devastating for many and of course many will not be able to see opportunity or even any hope.  I can only see it the way I see it which is not necessarily right.  However if people can sit back and work out a plan that suits them there might at least a way to reduce the fear, cut costs and come up with a new lifestyle.

Yeah, let's blame the average Joe for wanting some nice stuff, they should be able to afford, but now can't because others make it so. 👍

Edited by ri Alban

joondalupjambo
1 minute ago, ri Alban said:

Yeah, let's blame the average Joe for wanting some nice stuff, they should be able to afford, but now can't because others make it so. 👍

Yep as it always is and always will be unfortunately.  It is us ordinary Joe's who are hit the worst.  We could use our energy though worrying about a lot we cannot control or I guess we deal with what we can deal with ourselves, things that we control.  Think that is where I am at in this moment of time.

The bigger, wider political issues still remain but that is another debate👍

8 minutes ago, joondalupjambo said:

Yep as it always is and always will be unfortunately.  It is us ordinary Joe's who are hit the worst.  We could use our energy though worrying about a lot we cannot control or I guess we deal with what we can deal with ourselves, things that we control.  Think that is where I am at in this moment of time.

The bigger, wider political issues still remain but that is another debate👍

Fwiw, I ditched my hired van and bought a wee kia for under a grand, as I only need it to go to work. It saved me £2500 a year and now allows us to buy an nice electric car with everything from the deck of the SS enterprise. So ⚖️. And it saves us on fuel for it. The Kia is costing a bit more now, with this shite.

I also have the Polish lads out putting the cladding and roughcast on the walls, so hopefully it'll sort out my heating bill a bit. But then you turn round and food is going up, but that's a god send as my belly needs wiped oot. :). 

Sorry bud, I'm just fed up with Rich ***** everywhere condemning us lot to hardship for the wealth or pleasure.

Edited by ri Alban

joondalupjambo
17 minutes ago, ri Alban said:

Fwiw, I ditched my hired van and bought a wee kia for under a grand, as I only need it to go to work. It saved me £2500 a year and now allows us to buy an nice electric car with everything from the deck of the SS enterprise. So ⚖️. And it saves us on fuel for it. The Kia is costing a bit more now, with this shite.

I also have the Polish lads out putting the cladding and roughcast on the walls, so hopefully it'll sort out my heating bill a bit. But then you turn round and food is going up, but that's a god send as my belly needs wiped oot. :). 

Sorry bud, I'm just fed up with Rich ***** everywhere condemning us lot to hardship for the wealth or pleasure.

Nah I get you, it is the system here that beats us.  The elite will keep it at all costs though as it puts the serf's in their place😄

Electric is the way ahead for cars hopefully and glad you are on the case.  I will hopefully go that route in a few years time but my need is not so great when I have the magical free bus pass😄

54 minutes ago, joondalupjambo said:

:nojustno:

Too far, mon the pizza ovens.

21 minutes ago, William H. Bonney said:

My council tax bill for the coming year will be £96 cheaper than last year. Small mercies. 

Mines has gone up. 🙄

Jambo-Jimbo
6 hours ago, ri Alban said:

Petrol always goes up like a rocket and drops like a feather, absolute profiteering and they have been doing it for years, this is why we need a fuel (petrol/diesel) regulator to prevent this blatant profiteering, as the petrol in the pumps right now, the oil was bought weeks/months ago.

Jambo-Jimbo
13 hours ago, Pans Jambo said:

£1.60/litre diesel in Asda. Jeezo!

That's cheap, as a petrol station/s in Chelsea are selling petrol at £2.18 litre and diesel at £2.29 litre.

£200 to fill up their Chelsea tractors, seemingly.

Jambo_jim2001
8 hours ago, Captain Sausage said:

84sqm of prime time ex council house….

Paid by supa buroo entitlement 🧐😁

My mortgage is due for renewal soon, been doing 2 year deals for the last few but thinking of a 5 year deal now as can see interest rates shooting up, anyone in a similar position?

3 hours ago, jack D and coke said:

2733D7A3-0DCB-480E-83BE-4E86175517BB.jpeg

🤣. That was me. I put a tenner in pump 3 and put twinty in pump 4. :rolleyes2:

Edited by ri Alban

1 hour ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

Petrol always goes up like a rocket and drops like a feather, absolute profiteering and they have been doing it for years, this is why we need a fuel (petrol/diesel) regulator to prevent this blatant profiteering, as the petrol in the pumps right now, the oil was bought weeks/months ago.

It's actually worrying what's happening. And that's without what Putin is doing.

Jambo-Jimbo
1 hour ago, jonesy said:

Perhaps the government (y'know the low tax Tories... :rolleyes2:) could reduce VAT or fuel duty? I read a few years ago that, litre for litre, the UK has among the cheapest fuel in Europe, and that most of what we pay at the pump is tax.

According to the RAC, the amount of tax on petrol is about 53% and diesel about 51%, which is down from 70% & 68% respectively less than 2 years ago in June 2020.  

https://www.racfoundation.org/data/taxation-as-percentage-of-pump-price-data-page

Of course the current rapid rises will not be in the graph in the link, so I don't know what effect they may have on the amount of tax etc.

16 hours ago, Tazio said:

Can't do this myself as we've got a smart meter, but might it be an idea to overestimate your readings a bit too, get some extra power at the cheaper rate?

5 hours ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

That's cheap, as a petrol station/s in Chelsea are selling petrol at £2.18 litre and diesel at £2.29 litre.

£200 to fill up their Chelsea tractors, seemingly.

That is just taking the utter piss!

36 minutes ago, jonesy said:

These people chose to buy gas-guzzlers to drive their bairns to and from school in. Very little sympathy. 

Of course, it's a free world, so they can and should be able to buy any vehicle they wish, but for most of them, a hybrid Aygo would probably suffice for their transportation needs. For Instagram and showing off to the neighbours, perhaps less so.

I agree but the rising cost of fuel affects more than just the Chelsea tractor drivers. Its now £80 to fill up a 1.4Ltr Petrol Audi A3. Was £60 a month ago. What will it be next month?

@Ulysses were all coming to your place to fill up our motors, cans and lucozade boatles. Unless the UK do what your government has done, and cut the tax.

Jambo_jim2001
22 minutes ago, ri Alban said:

@Ulysses were all coming to your place to fill up our motors, cans and lucozade boatles. Unless the UK do what your government has done, and cut the tax.

When I was over at Donegal a couple of years back the price of diesel was a lot lower than petrol so filled car up,only to be told later by my mate,everyone knows someone who will fill your car a lot cheaper with the red stuff🥺🥺

3 minutes ago, Jambo_jim2001 said:

When I was over at Donegal a couple of years back the price of diesel was a lot lower than petrol so filled car up,only to be told later by my mate,everyone knows someone who will fill your car a lot cheaper with the red stuff🥺🥺

:policeman:

Jambo_jim2001
Just now, ri Alban said:

:policeman:

🤣I was too scared incase I got stopped,which I did 😳on the return journey at Cairnryan💩💩

2 minutes ago, Jambo_jim2001 said:

🤣I was too scared incase I got stopped,which I did 😳on the return journey at Cairnryan💩💩

My mate can get it, but knowing my luck.

Jambo_jim2001

Seemingly the cherry tax is getting all changed in April for the worse🤬I noticed though a litre of veggie oil is £1.10 in Aldi the other day😉glad I drive an ancient diesel car that can handle it,a lot of chip shops around my way are now getting paid for their waste oil🤬I used to get it for nowt😁😁

Tommy Brown

Very early on in this thread, I posted of a big rise is Stainless Steel costs in january (we work in food cooking equipment, nearly all our work is SS).

Told this morning that another 55% hike in the cost we pay from April. 

Jambo_jim2001
8 minutes ago, Tommy Brown said:

Very early on in this thread, I posted of a big rise is Stainless Steel costs in january (we work in food cooking equipment, nearly all our work is SS).

Told this morning that another 55% hike in the cost we pay from April. 

😳😳 Is British steel still going? Or is the steel imported now?

jack D and coke
6 hours ago, Pans Jambo said:

That is just taking the utter piss!

I read about the Irish govt reducing the duty on fuel and the petrol stations immediately raising the prices to take up the slack and take advantage. 
Vermin man…

This is an interesting thread too. Martin Lewis…

Edited by jack D and coke

Don't forget that building materials etc... went through the roof during the pandemic because of production. That production has been caught up long ago and they are still through the roof.

Mind that wee saying. "What goes up, must come down" What a load of shite. 

When things go up, we end up distracted/conned/programmed to the point that this is the new starting price. And yet, all we do is moan, we should burn the place down, if we weren't a bunch of shitebags. And this is probably the reason folk greet about demonstrations like the ones who block roads etc... Because they don't have the balls to do it.

Edited by ri Alban

Jambo_jim2001

Some of the mark ups on items are eye watering,seen it in a lot of car stealerships for myself,we are all one way or another mug punters😳

And always will be.

1 minute ago, Jambo_jim2001 said:

Some of the mark ups on items are eye watering,seen it in a lot of car stealerships for myself,we are all one way or another mug punters😳