Souttar signs pre-contract with Rangers (Super Thread)

Bazzas right boot

ROBBIE NEILSON PRESS CONFERENCE

https://t.co/jRMPQPaO1R

Here’s my article from Robbie’s presser yesterday, as you can imagine, largely dominated with John Souttar talk… 

Few interesting talking points, as I’m sure you’ve heard by now, Euan Henderson has signed a one year extension at the club. 

Beni remains sidelined and Boyce is only fit enough for the bench?! Appears the injuries weren’t as minor as first feared clearly… 

• Replies 6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Pasquale for King

• GinRummy

• Factuer Moi

• Bazzas right boot

2 hours ago, soonbe110 said:

Maybe when you realise the nature of the illness you will realise it probably won’t be an issue. 

I'm not doubting it or the seriousness of it, but what I find unfortunate is that nothing has ever been mentioned before, SevCo release their statement, John takes pelters, then Levein just happens to have his blessing to discuss it a day later on the radio.  If it meant that much why hasn't he grown a set of balls and released his own statement?  Instead he's hiding behind Levein and this situation that has now come out.

4 minutes ago, Armageddon said:

I'm not doubting it or the seriousness of it, but what I find unfortunate is that nothing has ever been mentioned before, SevCo release their statement, John takes pelters, then Levein just happens to have his blessing to discuss it a day later on the radio.  If it meant that much why hasn't he grown a set of balls and released his own statement?  Instead he's hiding behind Levein and this situation that has now come out.

I find the whole 'I had to move to rangers because a family member is seriously ill'  is really bad taste

8 minutes ago, Armageddon said:

Spot on, Boris Johnson would be turning his nose up at that spin as too honking.

Edited by briever

Fozzyonthefence
1 hour ago, Nookie Bear said:

Awww the poor soul turned down c£400k a year so he could earn £600k a year

Denies us any kind of return on our investment in his rehab. 

Rolls out his mentor Levein to spin some bull about this being about his brother. 

Hope his career bombs and he can sit at home counting his dirty cash. 

How much was our investment in his rehab, if anything?

Fozzyonthefence
10 minutes ago, Shanks said:

I find the whole 'I had to move to rangers because a family member is seriously ill'  is really bad taste

I think that was his reason for not moving to England rather than moving to Rangers.  He then had a choice of staying at Hearts or moving to Rangers.  He chose the employer that is going to maybe pay him 5 x his current wages, as would every single hypocrite on this board have done exactly the same thing!  Anyone that says differently is a liar. 

Edited by Fozzyonthefence

37 minutes ago, Francis Albert said:

The rest of the squad are professional footballers too. At some point in their careers they will all play for a club where they have no future (if they have not already done so). And have played and/or will play with players who have no future with their club.

And hopefully they are all professional enough not to let a team mate getting "pelters" from the stands affect their commitment and performance.

(I think I was 12 when my boyhood hero Willie Wallace was tapped by Celtic and left. I think my reaction was more adult than many on this increasingly ludicrous thread)

Interesting that a transfer to the old firm of a Hearts player nearly 60 years ago still resonates with you.  I doubt people in 60 years time will worry about Souttars departure though. Bosman did good things for professional footballers , while not benefitting from them himself however pre contract deals between clubs in the same league should be outlawed in Scotland as they have been in the EPl.

1 minute ago, Fozzyonthefence said:

I think that was his reason for not moving to England rather than moving to Rangers.  He then had a choice of staying at Hearts or moving to Rangers.  He chose the employer that is going to maybe pay him 5 x his current wages, as would every single hypocrite on this board have done exactly the same thing!  Anyone that says differently is a liar. 

This 5x is known?

Rangers paying around £15k a week for a player with JS's injury record?

His contract will have clauses and caveats all over the place imo

13 minutes ago, Shanks said:

Many will see that as just an attempt to mitigate his decision to sign for them. For me it’s the knowledge that he’s just strung the club along over the last few months that irk me. Hearts have been very loyal to him when it was needed. That loyalty really has not been reciprocated.  

8 minutes ago, Nookie Bear said:

This 5x is known?

5x his old contract maybe according to Budge we offered Souttar a very significant increase on his current contract , no idea what the new deal offered was though. Given his injury record I'm relatively happy he's moving on though not the circumstances of his move. 

1 minute ago, EIEIO said:

Interesting that a transfer to the old firm of a Hearts player nearly 60 years ago still resonates with you.  I doubt people in 60 years time will worry about Souttars departure though. Bosman did good things for professional footballers , while not benefitting from them himself however pre contract deals between clubs in the same league should be outlawed in Scotland as they have been in the EPl.

Exactly this... of course, the spfl will tell you that the rule exists for the benefit of all... when the reality is, the uglies are in the best position to make use of it. Therefor it benefits them more... like everything else that's completely wrong with Scottish football. This is one of the major reasons this particular scenario is angering the support IMO.

If the rule was outlawed (as down south), he would have continued with us for 6 months and then made his decision... which is what he should/could have done. Instead he (and sevco) chose to roll a grenade into Tynecastle. Why?! I genuinely don't think JS realised what this would cause (or to what extent)... he's either been very naïve or badly advised - probably a bit of both. Rangers certainly knew what they were doing, it's the OF way. And to now 'hide' behind an ill family member, is definitely in bad taste (even although it may well be part of the reason to stay in Scotland.)

I don't grudge players chasing the money... but surely a bit of humility isn't too much to ask for. We DID stand by him, we only got the benefit of 3 out of his 6 years with us, we helped develop him into an internationalist... we done right by him. Just a shame he's let it end this (needless) way.

10 hours ago, Francis Albert said:

65 pages. 

To me it seems pretty simple. He has accepted an offer to at least double his wages. As at least 99 or per cent of professional footballers would do. The clue is in the word professional. 

We play him if in training and in games he demonstrates that he is an asset to the team. If not we don't.

I really don't understand why it is 65 pages worth of difficulty.

Got it in one!

1 hour ago, luckydug said:

Especially when Hearts haven't played for about three weeks. 

Why would we want to discuss such a trivial matter ? 🤔 

Not the first time and won't be the last, that's the modern game.

Fozzyonthefence
34 minutes ago, Nookie Bear said:

This 5x is known?

There’s been various multiples of his current salary banded about, mostly speculation, some claiming to be itk.  I think it’s safe to say it will be multiples of some sort - they were paying players £10k a week in League 2 iirc. 

Let’s be honest, anyone on here would jump ship to a new employer even if it was “only” to double your salary.  Far too much irrational thought on this thread based on raw emotion rather than logic.  And yes, I am pissed off too but pretty much over it. 

54 minutes ago, Armageddon said:

I think it was going to be Rangers even if his brother wasn't ill. Just a poor attempt to diffuse any ill feeling. Just my opInion. And that's not a compliment to Rangers just that signing for them is where he wants to play. Just be honest John

Walter Bishop
1 hour ago, FFSJohn said:

No idea. Rangers just got £12m in so perhaps £500k sign on, potential £500k transfer and look to sell on at some point. Who knows.

In response to your other point, I’m a long time viewer but heard through family so thought I’d sign up and post. 

"Rangers just got £12 million in" 

:rofl:

100% you`re a hun! 

Howdy Doody Jambo
10 minutes ago, Rick Sanchez said:

Just on my break again, wanted to pop in to say he's a ****ing rat.

Have a good day folks and see you all later!

Again, you get more breaks than a packet of kit-kats but your right Roland Rat 🐀 should be punted 

34 minutes ago, Dazo said:

Got a horrible feeling he will play tonight. 🥲

If he plays, plays well and we win, then I'll have no issue with that.

Wouldn't it be great if those planning to turn up and boo Souttar, instead turned up and spent the game chanting their support for Gordon, Halkett, Kingsley and Smith. As the loyal fans we are, show our appreciation of the players who have signed extensions rather than focussing on the one who is leaving.

Booing Souttar tonight will be counter productive, both risking a negative atmosphere in the stands transferring onto the pitch and weakening our negotiating position with Rangers if there is a possibility of him being Sold this window.

(Comments on booing not aimed at Dazo, who I have no idea if he is planning to boo or not.)

46 minutes ago, Deevers said:

Many will see that as just an attempt to mitigate his decision to sign for them. For me it’s the knowledge that he’s just strung the club along over the last few months that irk me. Hearts have been very loyal to him when it was needed. That loyalty really has not been reciprocated.  

Have we been especially loyal to Souttar? We honoured his contract including supporting him when he was injured as any club would do. We agreed a contract extension in 2019 when he had returned to fitness not while he was injured. When he has been fit he has given his all to Hearts on the pitch and I don't remember any complaints about his work ethic in training. He also seems to have worked very hard to come back from injury.

We've been unluckily with the timing of his injuries and I'd rather he went outside Scotland, but I think it is a stretch to say we've shown any level of unusual loyalty to Souttar.

Edited by Saint Jambo

1 hour ago, Fozzyonthefence said:

They needed £10m just to see the end of the season out.

We’ve been hearing that since 2012 and even if was ever true they’ve always come up with the money. They’ve always had money for signings and wages. Folk pinning their hopes on Rangers going bust again. Just isn’t happening.

Hackney Hearts
4 minutes ago, EIEIO said:

5x his old contract maybe according to Budge we offered Souttar a very significant increase on his current contract , no idea what the new deal offered was though.

Reliable JKB sources (!) say he was offered double his old contract by Hearts? I doubt Rangers will be paying him anywhere near 30k a week.

1 minute ago, Saint Jambo said:

If he plays, plays well and we win, then I'll have no issue with that.

Wouldn't it be great if those planning to turn up and boo Souttar, instead turned up and spent the game changing their support for Gordon, Halkett, Kingsley and Smith. As the loyal fans we are, show our appreciation of the players who have signed extensions rather than focussing on the one who is leaving.

Booing Souttar tonight will be counter productive, both risking a negative atmosphere in the stands transferring onto the pitch and weakening our negotiating position with Rangers if there is a possibility of him being Sold this window.

(Comments on booing not aimed at Dazo, who I have no idea if he is planning to boo or not.)

Have we been especially loyal to Souttar? We honoured his contract including supporting him when he was injured as any club would do. We agreed a contract extension in 2019 when he had returned to fitness not while he was injured. When he has been fit he has given his all to Hearts on the pitch and I don't remember any complaints about his work ethic in training. He also seems to have worked very hard to come back from injury.

We've been unluckily with the timing of his injuries and I'd rather he went outside Scotland, but I think it is a stretch to say we've shown any level of unusual loyalty to Souttar.

The pre contract stinks, i won't be booing John if he plays for Hearts again. I feel a bit dirty at the thought of booing one of our players. Smashed the ****ing wendy house up ripped the knickers off the Mrs, have a roaring headache due to drinking for days.

One exception was I booed Nando at Livi, feel pretty good about it.

Souttar though is on a whole different level,

6 minutes ago, JimmyCant said:

We’ve been hearing that since 2012 and even if was ever true they’ve always come up with the money. They’ve always had money for signings and wages. Folk pinning their hopes on Rangers going bust again. Just isn’t happening.

Exactly.

Fair play to the new hun interlopers, they’ve reeled in a few. Their time would be better spent on personal hygiene though. 

Anyway, **** Souttar. Hope he’s nowhere near Tynie tonight. 

Fozzyonthefence
18 minutes ago, JimmyCant said:

It was in their audited accounts, not some made up shite on JKB.

I didn’t say they were going bust but they 100% had a £10m shortfall that needed plugged before the end of the season.  Their current business model is unsustainable, based on gambling on spending money they don’t have firstly to stop 10 in a row, then relying on soft loans from Directors, share issue after share issue, gambling on Champions League money (remember how that worked out for Leeds), getting players on long term contracts to sell on for large amounts (only worked with Paterson so far).  

They’re making huge losses year after year, seemly learned absolutely nothing from version 1 going tits up and show zero contrition for it.  They can’t carry on trading the way they are, it’s unsustainable.  That’s not to say someone with some common sense on their board can’t stop it before it’s too late. 

Edited by Fozzyonthefence

Francis Albert
1 hour ago, EIEIO said:

That would be a sensible change but not sure how it prevents agents and players talking or clubs tapping players as in the Wallace case (which was before transfer windows existed).

(As an aside in checking about Wallace's transfer I was reminded that over half the first team submitted transfer requests early in that season including Wallace Cruickshank and Gordon. Unrest at the club led to our greatest manager being sacked after winning 7 trophies in a decade. Wallace's last game or last game but one was a 3-0 defeat at Parkhead. Imagine how long the thread would have  been if JKB had existed then) 

husref musemic
9 minutes ago, Zico said:

Fair play to the new hun interlopers, they’ve reeled in a few. Their time would be better spent on personal hygiene though. 

Anyway, **** Souttar. Hope he’s nowhere near Tynie tonight. 

The Irony of those tramps signing 'Soapy' 😅

3 minutes ago, Fozzyonthefence said:

It was in their audited accounts, not some made up shite on JKB.

I didn’t say they were going bust but they 100% had a £10m shortfall that needed plugged before the end of the season.  Their current business model is unsustainable, based on gambling on spending money they don’t have firstly to stop 10 in a row, then relying on soft loans from Directors, share issue after share issue, gambling on Champions League money (remember how that worked out for Leeds), getting players on long term contracts to sell on for Kathy amounts (only worked with Paterson so far).  

They’re making huge losses year after year, seemly learned absolutely nothing from version 1 going tits up and show zero contrition for it.  They can’t carry on trading they were they are, it’s unsustainable.  That’s not to say someone with some common sense on their board can’t stop it before it’s too late. 

...I commented on their last 'share scheme' to generate cash, how it was the second time they had tried it last year (at that time... around October?)... FF corrected me that, in fact, it had been something like their 10th share issue in 12 months 😲 (IIRC)... definitely papering over the cracks!

1 hour ago, i8hibsh said:

This rat ***** better never wear the maroon again.  *****.

Shows up how Hearts being such a 'nice' club since Budge came in is not going to get us anywhere.

Wake up and smell the coffee. I don’t like what’s happened but he’s got a short career and will want to make up as much money as he can in that time.

As for giving him abuse, leave that to thicker elements of our support. He’ll be wearing a Hearts jersey not a sash.

Fozzyonthefence
3 minutes ago, Rogue Daddy said:

...I commented on their last 'share scheme' to generate cash, how it was the second time they had tried it last year (at that time... around October?)... FF corrected me that, in fact, it had been something like their 10th share issue in 12 months 😲 (IIRC)... definitely papering over the cracks!

It’s a bit reminiscent of our Romanov era.  As I said it can’t go on.  I doubt it will end up like last time - their biggest problem then was that the main creditor was HMRC and Hector doesn’t take any shit.  They won’t make that mistake again, I doubt. 

Id rather play him for 10 minutes against Auchinleck and leave him with the youth players for 6 months but he’s gonna play tonight - Nielson’s press conference seemed to hint at that 

1 hour ago, Fozzyonthefence said:

I'd agree with that if he was moving to England or abroad. 

The OF are Scotlands disgrace and no way I would sign for either especially as there would be offers from elsewhere. 

So your anyone would do the same argument doesn't hold up. 

And don't dare accuse me of lying🙄

Instead of acting like petulant children and booing him tonight, try to just ignore him and cheer and support the team.

it’s what his teammates want 

resorting to booing and nasty shouts will only help the opposition 

Just now, BangkokHearts said:

Let the boos ring out tonight. Let him know what the fans think of his decision.

What’s the point? It won’t make him not move to rangers and will only have a negative impact on our own team if anything 

2 minutes ago, Jambo 4 Ever said:

Instead of acting like petulant children and booing him tonight, try to just ignore him and cheer and support the team.

You of all people posted this :rofl: 

2 minutes ago, Jambo 4 Ever said:

Nasty shouts 😂

Just now, King prawn said:

You of all people posted this :rofl: 

Booing some one on your own team is childish behaviour mate 

will only make ourselves look silly 

Fozzyonthefence
3 minutes ago, BangkokHearts said:

Let the boos ring out tonight. Let him know what the fans think of his decision.

Aye that will really help the team.  Great idea!  

1 minute ago, Fozzyonthefence said:

Aye that will really help the team.  Great idea!  

And it isn't like this will be our last chance to boo him at Tynecastle. Why not ignore him for the rest of the season and give him dogs abuse the minute he returns to Tynecastle as a Rangers player?

Fozzyonthefence
7 minutes ago, luckydug said:

I'd agree with that if he was moving to England or abroad. 

The OF are Scotlands disgrace and no way I would sign for either especially as there would be offers from elsewhere. 

So your anyone would do the same argument doesn't hold up. 

And don't dare accuse me of lying🙄

What if there were no offers elsewhere or moving down South wasn’t an option for you?  I was referring to a situation where the choice was between staying at Hearts or going to Rangers and earning, who knows double, treble, quadruple your wages.  If you say you’d turn that down out of principle, sorry but I don’t believe you.

7 minutes ago, BangkokHearts said:

A minutes booing whether John plays or not would be a worker for me. Am dying to boo him, just can't do it without a purpose. Thankful that John wears the Number 4, 4 minutes of booing starting on the 4th minute of the game. Akin to a minutes silence or clapping. 

11 minutes ago, Jambo 4 Ever said:

How do you go about ignoring a player who is on the park ?

How will they know they're being ignored ?

Intrigued !