They Can't Relegate Us (Legally)

JJ93

Bazzas right boot
1 minute ago, CJGJ said:

Don't know if this has been posted

SPFL RULEBOOK Page 22 clause 17 

At the end of each Season (following completion of all League Matches in the Premiership in that Season) the Club in position 12 in the Premiership shall be relegated to play and be eligible to participate in the Championship for and during the next Season.’

Clause’s 14 and 15

‘The Clubs for the time being entitled in terms of these Rules to participate in the Premiership shall, disregarding any abandoned or postponed matches, play in 38 League Matches in any one Season.’

That last clause means they could end the league as is. 

It's clearly an option. 

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• IveSeenTheLight

• Beast Boy

• Bazzas right boot

• Lord Beni of Gorgie

Lord Beni of Gorgie

If anyone seriously thinks those Celtic ***** would be arguing for average points had they been behind you must be zipped up the back 

Bazzas right boot
2 minutes ago, Zlatanable said:

Yes, I see your point. 

There will be a lot of conversations happening.

I think there might be a proposal to play these leagues into the summer, in empty stadiums. A lot of opportunity to televise these games and complete competitions.

Yeah, there are few options. 

You'd think there will be a general consensus across all leagues, if everyone does something different it will become more of a cluster ****. 

Lord Beni of Gorgie
2 minutes ago, Smith's right boot said:

It's clearly an option. 

Why?

Bazzas right boot
2 minutes ago, Sir Gio said:

Why?

Because it doesn't say 38 matches have to be completed.... 

.. Disregarding abandoned or postponed matches.. 

Edited by Smith's right boot

1 minute ago, Smith's right boot said:

It's clearly an option. 

I don't think it does..it refers to abandoned or postponed and means those that were started or those that were postponed due to such things as weather not what we are facing...'disregarding any abandoned or postponed' which means it's 38 after taking account of any postponed or abandoned matches .

ie if a game was abandoned then it does not count towards the 38...same with postponed matches

Bazzas right boot
Just now, CJGJ said:

I don't think it does..it refers to abandoned or postponed and means those that were started or those that were postponed due to such things as weather not what we are facing...'disregarding any abandoned or postponed' which means it's 38 after taking account of any postponed or abandoned matches .

ie if a game was abandoned then it does not count towards the 38...same with postponed matches

It's a technical get out imo for the league. 

We aren't clear imo. 

Lord Beni of Gorgie
1 minute ago, Smith's right boot said:

Because it doesn't say 38 matches have to be completed.... 

.. Disregarding abandoned or postponed matches.. 

Reading it different to me as per CJGJ reply 

9 minutes ago, Smith's right boot said:

It's clearly an option. 

Not a chance. 

1 hour ago, Smith's right boot said:

Teams would need to agree to it ofc. 

Would be same teams, just with a transfer window thrown in. 

Not that dramatic tbh. 

It's either that or as is or null and void and the arguments and law suits with continue 

Teams like Liverpool and Utd will have massive issue with null and void. 

Quite rightly as well, especially as there are other options. 

Either way needs to be agreed but adding a window would make it farcical, if Liverpool and Celtic are so desperate for the trophy give it to them ! With a big fookin Asterix with “champions by default “

3 minutes ago, Smith's right boot said:

We aren't clear imo. 

I can't agree but each to their own though I think you are reading too much into something that is pretty clear

2 minutes ago, Smith's right boot said:

We aren't clear imo. 

Nah. It specifically says clubs are entitled to play 38 league matches. It also specifically says abandoned and postponed matches don't count towards that total.

This is a great opportunity to expand the league and keep everyone happy. 

I think Celtic will be declared champions, there will be no relegation , Utd will be promoted and there will be a 3 way play of to see who joins them in the SPFL . 

3 minutes ago, Sir Gio said:

Agreed the way I read that clause is that all teams have to play 38 games. What I think that means is that even if say eight of the teams have completed their games teams that have had postponed or abandoned the other four teams have to complete their games to finish the season. In other words abandoned games do not count toward the total... so games must be replayed to complete the 38. 

16 minutes ago, Sir Gio said:

If anyone seriously thinks those Celtic ***** would be arguing for average points had they been behind you must be zipped up the back 

yep

I don't know if it is just my sense of fairness BUT I cannot see how "declaring a season finished " is right regardless of who suffers... because let us be quite clear there are winners and losers all over the leagues no matter whether the teams are standout league leaders or bottom flounders with 9 games left to play you cannot declare some team the winners, relegated or promoted to do so would be madness.  The season has to be either finished properly or declared null and void. The cup is easy you just declare there was no winner which would be appropriate... dismissing nine three point league games would not, in my opinion. 

Edited by jock _turd

Kirky Jambo
28 minutes ago, Smith's right boot said:

It's clearly an option. 

Nah it means the opposite. I.e abandoned games don’t count towards the 38.

Obviously there could be other rules that screw us but that one reads in our favour, without a doubt.

Just now, Zlatanable said:

UEFA and FIFA will have to make decisions quite quickly I think.

With regards to next years Champions League/Europa League qualifying positions via the leagues in Europe.

That decision is connected to Euro 2020, and FIFA Nations League, and World Cup Qualifiers, and the other FIFA associations and their competitions. 

Like you say, I think there will have to be a general consensus, and soon. It won't be fair, it can't be. But such is this situation. 

I am looking for a FIFA statement soon. 

UEFA online conference on Tuesday.

26 minutes ago, CJGJ said:

That's what I read it to mean. 38 fully completed games must be played.

Most competition rules though will have vague clauses to allow discretionary changes in exceptional circumstances. So nothing is really certain.

Bazzas right boot
41 minutes ago, Sir Gio said:

Maybe I got that wrong. 

bigsuperslim1874

Folk should remember it’s not like we couldn’t overturn the current deficit - I.E we have played 30 games and mathematically couldn’t get away from bottom of the table. It’s still more than possible we could so - we shouldn’t feel bad if we end up staying in the premiership. Not our fault we might not get the chance to claw back the 4 points from 24 still available.

Its not the same as Dons dodging the drop in the 90’s.

I understand it as 38 complete games, but the clubs may have to take part on more than 38 in the event of abandonment etc to reach the 38. 

I cant see how they can apply a blanket 'league position as it stands' given in some leagues some teams that it would affect have played more/fewer games than other teams immediately around them 

Edited by Poseidon

King Of The Cat Cafe
21 minutes ago, stuart500 said:

That's what I read it to mean. 38 fully completed games must be played.

Most competition rules though will have vague clauses to allow discretionary changes in exceptional circumstances. So nothing is really certain.

I'm guessing the SPFL are hoping that the leagues can resume at the end of April at the latest and, with a bit of urgency, the remaining scheduled league games can be played off in May.

Bazzas right boot
2 minutes ago, Poseidon said:

I understand it as 38 complete games, but the clubs may have to take part on more than 38 in the event of abandonment etc to reach the 38. 

I cant see how they can apply a blanket 'league position as it stands' given in some leagues some teams that it would effect have played more/fewer games than other teams immediately around them 

Yeah, to me as well now. 

4 minutes ago, The Muffin Man said:

Kane’s left foot getting it spectacularly wrong yet again.

A ‘likely’ tale. (Sic)

Seemed like healthy debate to me. 

Lord Beni of Gorgie
15 minutes ago, bigsuperslim1874 said:

Folk should remember it’s not like we couldn’t overturn the current deficit - I.E we have played 30 games and mathematically couldn’t get away from bottom of the table. It’s still more than possible we could so - we shouldn’t feel bad if we end up staying in the premiership. Not our fault we might not get the chance to claw back the 4 points from 24 still available.

Its not the same as Dons dodging the drop in the 90’s.

The fixtures aren't even either 

Forever Hearts
1 hour ago, Psychicjambo said:

Teams that are losing revenue. Say St mirren fur example  they had 2800 hearts fans through  Tues.   Hamilton  would tahe about 150. So if they relegate us. A lot of clubs lose a lot of money.   Hibs would lose two Derby gates a season  if both where in top six or bottom 6.    So a lot of clubs don't want hearts to go diwn financially.  However the championship clubs would be delighted financially.  .   And the way things are just now  every penny counts and clubs are going to ha e to cut their cloth accordingly. . The keep telling is scottish football needs celtic and rangers. They can only fill one end 4 times a season. So what's the difference.  . Spfl will really have to consider this just as much re finance as fair play. 

We had 1300 there. They announced it over the tannoy. 

SectionDJambo

The only thing we can be reasonably sure of is that the SPFL will probably come to a decision, that has many of us scratching our heads and wondering how they came up with the idea.

Over the games played so far we are the worst side. Dundee Utd are the best by a stretch, it’s a no brainer we should go down and them up, if it was any other team we’d say that. 

Edited by ExPatTam

14 hours ago, Jambof3tornado said:

Closed doors is all well and good unless players catch it or show signs and you have to self isolate.

Cut it down to 5 a sides??

Corona sixes... 👍

5 hours ago, ExPatTam said:

Over the games played so far we are the worst side. Dundee Utd are the best by a stretch, it’s a no brainer we should go down and them up, if it was any other team we’d say that. 

There’s 6 points between the bottom 4 with the split still to play. It’s hardly a no brainer.

Geoff Kilpatrick

This thread is good for outing vermin if nothing else.

The truth is no one knows what happens next but it does show how brutal that defeat was in midweek to leave us in this predicament.

We have been shite for ages and tbh deserve to be relegated. Had plenty of must win games and this bunch clearly aren’t upto it. 

Nookie Bear
51 minutes ago, Geoff Kilpatrick said:

The truth is no one knows what happens next but it does show how brutal that defeat was in midweek to leave us in this predicament.

Name them. 

Why do people resort to this when they read something they don’t like?

GorgieRules22
53 minutes ago, djseant said:

We have been shite for ages and tbh deserve to be relegated. Had plenty of must win games and this bunch clearly aren’t upto it. 

Nobody deserves anything after 30 games of a season....of that we’re the case are we  champions in 1986?

Forever Hearts
53 minutes ago, djseant said:

We don't deserve to be relegated whilst it's still very much mathematically possible that we can stay up. Everybody else down the bottom have been shite too. Do they deserve to be relegated? 

Forever Hearts
7 minutes ago, Nookie Bear said:

Name them. 

It's as boring and unoriginal as it is tiresome. Have a go at Hearts = Hibs fan. Yawn Zzzzzzzzzz.......

kingantti1874

This thread is reeking 😂 do we deserve to go down - yup, will we go down If the season is canned.. nope 👍🏻

Edited by kingantti1874

Bazzas right boot
4 minutes ago, kingantti1874 said:

This thread is reeking 😂 do we deserve to go down - yup, will we go down If the season is canned.. nope 👍🏻

Tbh, we don't dsereve to go down. 

Utd do deserve to come up tho and celtic do deserve the league title. 

Geoff Kilpatrick
31 minutes ago, Nookie Bear said:

Name them. 

The Mods don't like that. However, they do like reports.

Bazzas right boot
1 hour ago, Geoff Kilpatrick said:

Yip, 1 win and we would not be giving a ****. 

6 hours ago, ExPatTam said:

Utd do deserve to be promoted. 

Liverpool deserve their title. 

Maybe even celtic. 

The top two are miles ahead. 

Do we deserve to go down? 4 points with 8 to play- no, not a chance. 

It's difficult tho, utd can't go up if we don't go down. 

No brainer? 

Tbh folk keep saying this and that is the only way, no brainer etc, simple. 

There are several possibilities-

Play offs, finish the season (and change next), null and void, Finish as is, award titles but no relegation. 

Likley some more as well. 

Nothing is a given, a clear way or a no brainer all outcomes will have issues. 

Null and void with titles awarded is Likley the least complicated. 

Forever Hearts
7 minutes ago, Smith's right boot said:

Tbh, we don't dsereve to go down. 

Utd do deserve to come up tho and celtic do deserve the league title. 

No, they don't. They deserve NOTHING until it's mathematically impossible that they can be caught. 

Edited by Forever Hearts

Bazzas right boot
4 minutes ago, Forever Hearts said:

No, they don't. They deserve NOTHING until it's mathematically impossible that they can be caught. 

Not imo, them and the likes of liverpool would have 100% won their leagues. 

Imo they do deserve to be promoted. 

Bazzas right boot
Just now, stotty said:

If only those useless pricks had turned up and won at St Mirren, I'd be a lot more relaxed. 

👍

7 minutes ago, stotty said:

If only those useless pricks had turned up and won at St Mirren, I'd be a lot more relaxed. 

Well said. Getting off the bottom of the league was very achievable mid-week and these gutless losers have now left us in a who knows what happens next situation. 

Speaking to a journalist last night who I know and normally has his ear pretty close to things. He’s heard that the SPFL and the SFA have already accepted that this season is a wipe out now. Talks are underway with the clubs as to the way forward. A change in the format for next season is apparently the most favoured option. No relegation with the two teams at the top of the Championship coming up to for a 14 team top league. 

2 minutes ago, Deevers said:

Speaking to a journalist last night who I know and normally has his ear pretty close to things. He’s heard that the SPFL and the SFA have already accepted that this season is a wipe out now. Talks are underway with the clubs as to the way forward. A change in the format for next season is apparently the most favoured option. No relegation with the two teams at the top of the Championship coming up to for a 14 team top league. 

Most sensible approach and should be announced soon so clubs can make plans for next four months. 

2 minutes ago, Deevers said:

EPL reported to be looking at similar, looks like the best way forward in my opinion. Celtic crowned champions as well?