They Can't Relegate Us (Legally)

JJ93

gashauskis9
5 minutes ago, Forever Hearts said:

I did know it, and it still doesn't make sense. If this season's Scottish Cup semis can't be played on time then play them in October. It's only three games. 

So two Scottish Cups in one season?

Could work.

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• IveSeenTheLight

• Beast Boy

• Bazzas right boot

• Lord Beni of Gorgie

2 minutes ago, ri Alban said:

Hearts and Rangers vote against Celtic being champions. Hearts and Rangers vote against Hearts being Relegated. Easy!

and Hearts vote for Hearts being Champions  😁

Tenaciousdandy
2 minutes ago, ri Alban said:

Hearts and Rangers vote against Celtic being champions. Hearts and Rangers vote against Hearts being Relegated. Easy!

We ended there season long before coronavirus did, they will shot of us lol

1 minute ago, Hearts007 said:

Thought the governing bodies had final say in football matters not courts?

Yes but we are all businesses and so the decisions taken affect us as businesses and so if they are unwarranted they will end up in the courts. The contracts signed between us are legally binding too, e.g. the contracts that say Scottish Cup games have to be played at Hampden regardless of whether it is an Edinburgh Derby or not.

1 minute ago, JJ93 said:

Yes but we are all businesses and so the decisions taken affect us as businesses and so if they are unwarranted they will end up in the courts. The contracts signed between us are legally binding too, e.g. the contracts that say Scottish Cup games have to be played at Hampden regardless of whether it is an Edinburgh Derby or not.

Just need to wait and see

Fozzyonthefence
2 hours ago, baxterd1974 said:

One idea someone posted earlier was 2 x games, split 7/7, 2 x games. Gives a total of 32 games

Can’t see them doing that - too big a loss in revenue for clubs (6 games less).

Fozzyonthefence
4 minutes ago, JJ93 said:

Wasn’t that for League Cup games as the SFA don’t run the League Cup?  I very much doubt the clubs would have been a party to any such contract anyway, especially since it seemed to come as a surprise to everyone when that little gem came prior to eventually switching to Murrayfield.

If we are relegated we can few complaints, we have the fewest points and the fewest wins and there is very little evidence that we are about to turn that around.

Bunny Munro
10 minutes ago, Fozzyonthefence said:

Can’t see them doing that - too big a loss in revenue for clubs (6 games less).

That math is wrong, it gives 38.

2x13 is 26

2x6 is 12.

Those who will be against it are the lower teams who want 3 home games Vs the old firm, they'll only get two in the model.

2 minutes ago, Martin_T said:

If we are relegated we can few complaints, we have the fewest points and the fewest wins and there is very little evidence that we are about to turn that around.

I would complain..its not over till its over

1 minute ago, Hearts007 said:

I would complain..its not over till its over

Ideally we'd play the remaining games somehow.

Just now, Martin_T said:

Ideally we'd play the remaining games somehow.

Yep unless it scrapped altogether this season

4 hours ago, Longshanks said:

I think we pretty much agree on the situation.

I don't think we should remain in an extended league or be relegated.  It surely has to either be season (eventually) finished or just totally cancelled and scrapped.

We can't just pick and choose - oh Hearts should stay in the league even though we are bottom and Dundee United should be promoted because they are 1st even though the could still technically lose out, as long as things can still change then nothing can be determined.

What should now happen is league is postponed until we can determine the situation, if it can be finished at a later date then great we get it finished, if it can't then it is scrapped and we start again.

Seems fair enough. We will just have to wait and see I suppose.

Stendelsarmy

If the remaining games aren't played then the season needs to be declared void, as harsh as that would be on the likes of Celtic, Liverpool, Dundee Utd. 

It happened in 1939.

5 hours ago, stuart500 said:

If a match is abandoned after 80 minutes the game is replayed. It is not awarded to the team winning at that point.

Same principle must apply to the whole league. 

That's a good point  

9 minutes ago, Stendelsarmy said:

If the remaining games aren't played then the season needs to be declared void, as harsh as that would be on the likes of Celtic, Liverpool, Dundee Utd. 

It happened in 1939.

It's the only fair way of doing it, you can't hand things out based on what ifs. 

Only UEFA really have the authority to decide that all leagues and competitions can be cancelled and voided. Probably on Government advice but UEFA  can take all the risk because they are a powerful organisation. Smaller Association bodies like the SFA cannot take the risk because they do not have the power. 

The SFA are under the thumb of the OF, TV Companies, Sponsorships, The Bookies..

If they decide that is it, off their own backs, while other leagues resume at a later date, they will get their arses sued off them for loss of revenues as well as lawsuits from clubs fighting for relegation, promotion, UEFA places, prize money etc.. They will know this, so I believe they will leave it to UEFA to decide unless they are instructed to by the Government. It is a tricky situation. 

Scotland imo are in a better situation than the bigger leagues because we probably won't be at the Euros, nor will the overwhelming majority of players that play in Scotland, so we have a free summer to play fixtures. In any case, Scottish football fans have wanted summer football for years and given the postponed games after the winter break, it may be the catalyst to introduce it permanently. 

Edited by Cruyff

35 minutes ago, Gashauskis9 said:

Could work.

Could win it twice in one season. Even the uglies haven't done that. :D

Edited by Marvin

weegie jambo

Apologies for the stream of conscience thoughts!

There just seems to be no easy solution to the league. Ending it now and awarding Septic the title and relegating us is not the way forward despite what Lennon and Broony say. The 14 team league with no relegation seems like a good option however which clubs come up ?  It doesn't favor the clubs in 3rd and 4th in the lower leagues who would hope to come up via the play off and even the clubs currently in 5th and 6th might be on a run and hoping to clinch a play off place or even win the league if it's tight at the top. My son in law plays for Airdrie and I'm sure he and his team mates wouldn't be pleased to miss out on a shot at the title with only a couple of points between them, Raith and Falkirk. It's a legal minefield! 

Waiting for a directive from Uefa seems to be sensible although I worry it's only going to favor the big teams for Champions League places. To call the season to date null and void (and any other European league for that matter) would seem to be grossly unfair. In theory (unlikely) Celtic could still be caught, in theory (very unlikely/hopefully) we could go on an eight game winning run. To call it all off when there is still hope seems wrong and unlawful.

I favor a sensible lockdown throughout the country and see if the virus bottoms out as I believe is happening in China and give time for the scientists to fast track a vaccine. Then if there is an improvement in a month or two lets just beast into the remaining fixtures in the summer months. Cancel the diddy cup for next season (who really cares) and even cancel the Euros, or play them over a period of time in the international breaks? I think Europe would rather have a solution to their leagues which are their lifeblood and bread and butter than clutter up the calendar with the Euros.

joondalupjambo

The season will be deemed to be null and void.

Nothing else makes sense or meets a logic test.

Yes hundreds of questions as a result of that but this is an unprecedented world health event.

Bummer because I was looking forward to another wee trip to Arbroath next season.

IMO

- No relegation, move to a 16 team league bringing up the 4 current top from the championship.  Trial it for 3 years and clubs can vote whether or not it continues. 

- prize money for this season doled out equally among all clubs as a solidarity payment to make up for missed gate receipts (larger clubs don't need the money, and they'd still get something whilst ensuring weakest clubs don't get put into peril)

- Season declared void. 

Its another meaningless title for a club that have everything. If they really want to kick up a stink then just give them it as cynically as possible. 

Mathematically we're not relegated yet and I fully expect Budge to fight our case tooth and nail going legal if necessary. Its a dirty way to stay up, but quite frankly I don't care. This is the path of least resistance in ensuring the championship teams aren't put out by the season being declared void. Theoretically we could win every game to the end of the season and magically stay up. Its unlikely, but possible.

Tynecastlesmychurch
7 hours ago, Walter Bishop said:

Promote two teams from each league and bring two into League 2 from pyramid. 

SPFL next season has 14 teams, Split into two 7s after 2 rounds = 26 games played then play each other twice, a further 12 games. Total games played 38.  

That’s actually a decent shout! 

Fair play!

If they had had a duckworth lewis method implenented now for future times that might be an idea to save seasons being cancelled nil a

and void

Forever Hearts
1 hour ago, Gashauskis9 said:

Could work.

The 2020 winners would still be the 2020 winners, whether they won it in May 2020 or October 2020.

gashauskis9
1 minute ago, Forever Hearts said:

The 2020 winners would still be the 2020 winners, whether they won it in May 2020 or October 2020.

Fair point, you’ve won me over 👍

Forever Hearts
6 minutes ago, Gashauskis9 said:

Fair point, you’ve won me over 👍

Sorry if I came across as a prat. 👍

highlandjambo3
2 hours ago, The_razors_edge said:

Spoke to a lawyer at my work who has looked at the legalities of this. His view is the rules state the season consists of 33 games, followed by a split of 5 games giving a 38 game season. If the 38 games are not completed, for whatever reason, then the season is basically null and void - no league winners, no promotion or relegation etc etc. 

No law expert here but........a common sense approach will be taken......

id suspect that any judge would look at this decision with “exceptional circumstances” goggles, and take the simplest decision to uphold a “scrap the season” decision (if that’s what is decided).  The courts will want to avoid clogging up the system with claim after claim from individual clubs, fans.....players loosing bonuses (goals, clean sheets, assists etc....).....any other way will open up a huge can of worms.

All my opinion of course.

Arthur Morgan

Raman just said us getting relegated is a possibility, it's up to the SPFL apparently. I would imagine Celtic will put pressure on the SPFL and they will crumble.

Edited by Arthur Morgan

The Real Maroonblood
1 minute ago, Arthur Morgan said:

Raman just said us getting relegated is a possibility, it's up to the SPFL apparently. 

He’s a slaver.

Surely most leagues will have to do the same thing. Uefa should set the standard. Can't have the GFA doing their own thing

5 minutes ago, Arthur Morgan said:

Raman just said us getting relegated is a possibility, it's up to the SPFL apparently. I would imagine Celtic will put pressure on the SPFL and they will crumble.

Or in other words he has no clue so will just make something up to make the smeltic fans happy thinking the league is going to stand as is.

1 hour ago, Gambo said:

My worry is if there was a meeting to discuss what happens if season cant be competed is Budge would roll over.

This wouldn’t actually surprise me! 

Edited by flem

The Real Maroonblood
1 minute ago, Tiger said:

Or in other words he has no clue so will just make something up to make the smeltic fans happy thinking the league is going to stand as is.

Exactly.

These so called experts haven’t a clue.

Tenaciousdandy
9 minutes ago, jambopilms said:

Surely most leagues will have to do the same thing. Uefa should set the standard. Can't have the GFA doing their own thing

I agree, can't have different outcomes, all the governing bodies across the European leagues need to come together with UEFA and reach a conclusion across the board, SFA would look stupid if everyone else null and voids the season and we crown celtic champions and relegate us 

1 hour ago, Gambo said:

My worry is if there was a meeting to discuss what happens if season cant be competed is Budge would roll over.

Yep , that's a distinct possibility, I could see her rolling over 100% . 

Certainly wouldn't be confident in any shape or form in her fighting it on the clubs behalf wirh any venom . 

Weakened Offender
6 hours ago, IveSeenTheLight said:

Enlighten me.

In what way have I acted the prick?

Its a very interesting and debatable discussion. That's all I've participated in.

I've not once made any comments against Hearts.

Indeed the post you wet your knickers at was me showing potentially a rule which dictates that 38 league games need to be played which arguably is in Hearts interest

Agreed. 

England are going to go for current positions and promote the clubs in the top two.  Tv money will see to that.  Nobody is going to give a shit in the grand scheme of things if we go down or stay up,  they will care about the clubs all over the world making the champions league/Europa league next season.  The SPFL will rule for current standings,  the TV deal in Scotland will see to that as will the lower league clubs on the SPFL board who won’t vote for anything but hearts going down to make them money next season. 

42 minutes ago, jambopilms said:

What ever England do , we will have to do the same. If it suits popcorn teeth or not.

The EPL will suit their member teams, they rule league position stands because champions league money matters to most and there’s three shite sides in the relegation zone. 

Randy Marsh
1 hour ago, weegie jambo said:

Apologies for the stream of conscience thoughts!

There just seems to be no easy solution to the league. Ending it now and awarding Septic the title and relegating us is not the way forward despite what Lennon and Broony say. The 14 team league with no relegation seems like a good option however which clubs come up ?  It doesn't favor the clubs in 3rd and 4th in the lower leagues who would hope to come up via the play off and even the clubs currently in 5th and 6th might be on a run and hoping to clinch a play off place or even win the league if it's tight at the top. My son in law plays for Airdrie and I'm sure he and his team mates wouldn't be pleased to miss out on a shot at the title with only a couple of points between them, Raith and Falkirk. It's a legal minefield! 

Waiting for a directive from Uefa seems to be sensible although I worry it's only going to favor the big teams for Champions League places. To call the season to date null and void (and any other European league for that matter) would seem to be grossly unfair. In theory (unlikely) Celtic could still be caught, in theory (very unlikely/hopefully) we could go on an eight game winning run. To call it all off when there is still hope seems wrong and unlawful.

I favor a sensible lockdown throughout the country and see if the virus bottoms out as I believe is happening in China and give time for the scientists to fast track a vaccine. Then if there is an improvement in a month or two lets just beast into the remaining fixtures in the summer months. Cancel the diddy cup for next season (who really cares) and even cancel the Euros, or play them over a period of time in the international breaks? I think Europe would rather have a solution to their leagues which are their lifeblood and bread and butter than clutter up the calendar with the Euros.

Since the introduction of the playoffs to the the top flight only two teams have won promotion.  Hamilton (13-14) and Livingston (17-18).  Both of them finished in 2nd place.  It's unlikely teams finishing 3rd or 4th will get promoted as its not happened yet.  So I don't think they could feel too aggrieved if denied the chance in a playoff.  That's why I think expanding to a 14 team top flight with Dundee United and ICT included is the way to go.  Maybe split it after 26 matches with a top 6 and bottom 8 so no teams would have a vacant week.  Top 6 would play 36 matches in total while the bottom 8 would play 40 matches in total.  That would give the smaller teams an extra home gate and stop any potential winging about losing 'a home old firm match'.

Edited by Randy Marsh

The Verminator
10 minutes ago, Last Laff said:

England are going to go for current positions and promote the clubs in the top two.  Tv money will see to that.  Nobody is going to give a shit in the grand scheme of things if we go down or stay up,  they will care about the clubs all over the world making the champions league/Europa league next season.  The SPFL will rule for current standings,  the TV deal in Scotland will see to that as will the lower league clubs on the SPFL board who won’t vote for anything but hearts going down to make them money next season. 

Do you have actual proof of this or are you just making things up on the hoof?

3 minutes ago, The Verminator said:

He's making things up on the hoof.

MarkDevriesScores4

Fair play to Marvin Bartley. Even as a hibee, he has just said that you can’t relegate Hearts by taking games away and ending the season as is. 

16 minutes ago, The Verminator said:

It’s being leaked all over the place in that last hour. Tv companies will see to that or the continuation of the season behind closed doors. 

Lord Beni of Gorgie
3 hours ago, soonbe110 said:

It’s not re-starting in May. They are trying to push the peak  infection period into May/June when the NHS will have more resources available. We will be lucky if the next game is the start of next season on Aug 1. 

Business will only tolerate the hurt for so long and I don't just mean football. 

When you start breaking society,  which it will,  they will get wheels turning. 

Bazzas right boot
31 minutes ago, Last Laff said:

The EPL will suit their member teams, they rule league position stands because champions league money matters to most and there’s three shite sides in the relegation zone. 

England will also likely compensate the relegated teams very well if that happens. 

Bazzas right boot
3 hours ago, Rogue Daddy said:

I think we'll find UEFA will make some sort of statement/recommendation with regards to nations leagues. If most of Europe void their respective leagues - this can only mean no Champions League or Europa League next season.

We'll probably fall in line with everyone else.

I agree with the principle but in regards to European football, if the league season is scrapped then the European places default to the standings of last season as well. 

No need to scrap next season. 

Basically, this season never happened. 

That seems the less dicey legally. 

That or complete the season behind closed doors or later on but that's a cluster **** with contracts etc.