They Can't Relegate Us (Legally)

JJ93

If the 30 games thing is a thing, then they would just let the teams play behind closed doors for a match to get to the magic number ?

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• IveSeenTheLight

• Beast Boy

• Bazzas right boot

• Lord Beni of Gorgie

NaturalOrder74

Unlucky Celtic, Unlucky Liverpool, cant possibly give someone a trophy for a competition that's no finished how tainted is that ?

NaturalOrder74
3 minutes ago, jambopilms said:

If the 30 games thing is a thing, then they would just let the teams play behind closed doors for a match to get to the magic number ?

That's probably the most unfair thing I've heard since the SFA come up with the idea to give some teams more home games than others, some teams playing other teams a different number of times is just complete nonsense, its a write off.

David McCaig

Situation is even worse in Championship as Partick are 2 points adrift at bottom... but with a game in hand on the team above.

gashauskis9

Here’s a suggestion.  End the season now with no champions or relegation, but every club starts next season on the points they finished with.   20/21 therefore starts where it left off in 19/20, with Celtic clear at the top and us 4 points adrift at the bottom.  That way, Celtic get a heads start in winning the title they’ve been done out of and so do Dundee Utd, and nobody can accuse us of getting away with it.

In terms of the Scottish Cup, give the 4 semi finalists a bye to the 5th round (last 16).

Postpone Euro 2020 and the remaining play offs to 2021 and bin the winter break to avoid congestion around Feb/Mar to give the national team the best chance.

Hector Riva

My wifes suggestion. All premiership teams names in a hat.1 game. 24pts for a win 12pts for a draw. Sorted.  Oh and you play it with the points youv got at the moment.

Edited by Hector Riva

The Verminator

I`m not having a go at the OP but unless he is a lawyer/legal expert, he cannot say that "They cannot relegate us (Legally).

Now, if he is a lawyer/legal expert, then I apologise.

Truth is, none of us know what is going to happen.

4 hours ago, Walter Bishop said:

Promote two teams from each league and bring two into League 2 from pyramid. 

SPFL next season has 14 teams, Split into two 7s after 2 rounds = 26 games played then play each other twice, a further 12 games. Total games played 38.  

Stop being far too sensible.  So simple, only the vermin would object.

My only question would be who from the championship is promoted, probably still need some sort of play-offs to determine the 2 to be promoted.  Same for lower leagues.    This can be sorted out in the summer after the virus reduces.

Sorry, but we've been utter pish, so if we do, we can't really argue.

Edited by ri Alban

Five to One
56 minutes ago, jambopilms said:

I’m 100% positive Rangers would agree to that and award Celtic the title. 

The_razors_edge

Spoke to a lawyer at my work who has looked at the legalities of this. His view is the rules state the season consists of 33 games, followed by a split of 5 games giving a 38 game season. If the 38 games are not completed, for whatever reason, then the season is basically null and void - no league winners, no promotion or relegation etc etc. 

48 minutes ago, Gashauskis9 said:

Here’s a suggestion.  End the season now with no champions or relegation, but every club starts next season on the points they finished with.   20/21 therefore starts where it left off in 19/20, with Celtic clear at the top and us 4 points adrift at the bottom.  That way, Celtic get a heads start in winning the title they’ve been done out of and so do Dundee Utd, and nobody can accuse us of getting away with it.

In terms of the Scottish Cup, give the 4 semi finalists a bye to the 5th round (last 16).

Postpone Euro 2020 and the remaining play offs to 2021 and bin the winter break to avoid congestion around Feb/Mar to give the national team the best chance.

So we could effectively sign a whole new squad and get out of relegation?! I'd be all for that haha. 

Psychedelicropcircle

Chat earlier was that a few clubs need the league money to survive & that closed door games won’t help financially either.  Pick any diddy from the top league who happily  take the ugly twin pound. 

Fancy us to not be one of the several desperados bricking it right now😏😏😏😏

Tokyo Drifter
15 minutes ago, ri Alban said:

Sorry, but we've been utter pish, so if we do, we can't really argue.

There is that.

Tokyo Drifter
12 minutes ago, The_razors_edge said:

Spoke to a lawyer at my work who has looked at the legalities of this. His view is the rules state the season consists of 33 games, followed by a split of 5 games giving a 38 game season. If the 38 games are not completed, for whatever reason, then the season is basically null and void - no league winners, no promotion or relegation etc etc. 

Suits me, but it's a shame for Liverpool.

highlandjambo3

Wipe the slate clean and start afresh...... (would suit us) would be the most sensible solution, whatever the decision someone will loose out somewhere.  Promote the first and second placed teams with no one going down so, the leagues are a bit bigger next season well so what.  Am sure a lot of smaller teams relying on cash sales on Saturdays will struggle but hey, let’s put this into context, this is exceptional circumstances and we are after all only talking about sport.

of course if we stay up we need to take this one on the chin as our vermin shadows will never let us forget.

Oh......by the way......FTH

1 minute ago, highlandjambo3 said:

Wipe the slate clean and start afresh...... (would suit us) would be the most sensible solution, whatever the decision someone will loose out somewhere.  Promote the first and second placed teams with no one going down so, the leagues are a bit bigger next season well so what.  Am sure a lot of smaller teams relying on cash sales on Saturdays will struggle but hey, let’s put this into context, this is exceptional circumstances and we are after all only talking about sport.

of course if we stay up we need to take this one on the chin as our vermin shadows will never let us forget.

Oh......by the way......FTH

This could work.  Keep the 4 games against each other, scrap the split, and if we really want to get back to status quo league number wise the following season have 1 up and 3 down.  

Popcorn Teeth on Sky Sports basically saying " Celtic and Dundee Utd are the champs and Hearts etc should be relegated....

Unfortunately as with everything in Scottish Football the final decision will be made by the arse cheeks..

Despite this horrendous situation being unprecedented some things will never change

5 hours ago, Mid Calder Jambo said:

Brilliant time to bite the bullet and reorganise the leagues.  Everyone would be happy then, other than St Johnstone, Kilmarnock and Livingston who sell their soul to the gruesome twosome.

The 2 aforementioned will happily bend over and take it up the shiter for the uglies, especially Killie.

Mid Calder Jambo
4 minutes ago, Marvin said:

The 2 aforementioned will happily bend over and take it up the shiter for the uglies, especially Killie.

At the end of the day if Peter Lawwell ants it then it will happen, if he doesn;t then it won't.  Thats how democracy in the GFA works.

gashauskis9
33 minutes ago, Mort said:

So we could effectively sign a whole new squad and get out of relegation?! I'd be all for that haha. 

To be fair, any club could do the same.  The only benefit we gain is having a whole year to make up that 4 point gap 😁.

We’d find a way of ****ing this up of course.

1 minute ago, Mid Calder Jambo said:

At the end of the day if Peter Lawwell ants it then it will happen, if he doesn;t then it won't.  Thats how democracy in the GFA works.

Sounds about right.

On a side note, do you know my auld man from The Black Bull, George?

41 minutes ago, The_razors_edge said:

That’s what I’ve been saying (I’m a lawyer too)

merseyjambo
3 minutes ago, Mid Calder Jambo said:

Problem for Lawell and Lennon is that if the season is done around Europe and there are no champions or relegation in other leagues, we could sue the crap out of the SPFL and would almost certainly win and win big. Other leagues will find a workaround, SPFL would have to do same 

7 minutes ago, Mid Calder Jambo said:

This is what will relegate us and make Celtic champions. Every othe league in Europe will be null and void but in Scotland Neil Lennon has the loudest voice.

Mid Calder Jambo
1 minute ago, merseyjambo said:

Problem for Lawell and Lennon is that if the season is done around Europe and there are no champions or relegation in other leagues, we could sue the crap out of the SPFL and would almost certainly win and win big. Other leagues will find a workaround, SPFL would have to do same 

In Scotland what suits Septic happens first.  Rangers tag along because it is in their interests to keep the bigotted duopoly going.  The rest of us just sup what scraps fall from the Old Firm plate.  Septic will get back into Europe because that's what the etablishment want.

annushorribilis III
2 hours ago, JJ93 said:

Re your first para: you are presupposing that there is a rule saying that after 30 games if something happens the SPFL can end the league and crown champions/relegate etc based on league standing; and also that all SPFL clubs have agreed to that either by written agreement or conduct (the latter would be subject to dispute depending on the facts).

If there is an agreement that the above-mentioned happens by the SPFL but no clubs have signed it (meaning it was just added to the rules and we all continued as normal) then they'd argue that all clubs' continuation to play football was acceptance of this new term by conduct but that is legally contestable (rightly or wrongly) on the grounds that it could be an onerous term which gave clubs little to no reaslistic prospect of saying no if they wanted to continue to play football in Scotland. Agreeable or not - that would be the legal argument.

Re your second para: I doubt it would go to a vote of clubs but if it did yes still actionable unless we have explicilty agreed to this procedure in writing for this purpose.

I'm not, that's your interpretation. I mention it only in the context of the SPFL (ie the member clubs themselves) voting on the matter on the assumption that there is NO rule covering the 30 game scenario. 

Final para - i) You don't know, none of us know how the clubs /SPFL will act

ii) so relegation IS still a possibility then .

Thanks for taking the time to respond - I'm still not persuaded that the SPFL and the member clubs do not have the power to call a vote on this (I'm talking relegation only simply because of the wave effect through the league structure. I'm not concerned with the Glasgow clubs potential bickering) however unlikely this might be but  it's not impossible. 

Edited by annushorribilis III

gashauskis9
1 minute ago, jambopilms said:

This is what will relegate us and make Celtic champions. Every othe league in Europe will be null and void but in Scotland Neil Lennon has the loudest voice.

If this happens, they’ll have to play every Hearts v Celtic game behind closed doors for the rest of eternity.  It will make the OF game look like a picnic the level of hatred it will boil up.

Mid Calder Jambo
1 minute ago, jambopilms said:

And the mhankiest teeth.

Forever Hearts
1 hour ago, Gashauskis9 said:

And how is giving the teams already in the semi finals a bye to the 5th round fair? 😂

55 minutes ago, The_razors_edge said:

Really is quite simple.

Edited by Gambo

gashauskis9
1 minute ago, Forever Hearts said:

And how is giving the teams already in the semi finals a bye to the 5th round fair? 😂

5th round next season.  But I think you knew that 🙄.

3 hours ago, Sir Gio said:

No idea to be honest, was news to me.

All I know, if they cant get this restarted by May there are major adjustments to be made for 20/21

It’s not re-starting in May. They are trying to push the peak  infection period into May/June when the NHS will have more resources available. We will be lucky if the next game is the start of next season on Aug 1. 

Rogue Daddy

I think we'll find UEFA will make some sort of statement/recommendation with regards to nations leagues. If most of Europe void their respective leagues - this can only mean no Champions League or Europa League next season.

We'll probably fall in line with everyone else.

The_razors_edge
4 minutes ago, Gambo said:

Really is quite simple.

Indeed. Not sure how you could make an argument for an alternative outcome. Unless Certain clubs want to breach the rules everyone has agreed and signed up to 🤷‍♂️. Which would presumably result in a lengthy and messy legal battle with compensation being required 

3 minutes ago, Rogue Daddy said:

I think we'll find UEFA will make some sort of statement/recommendation with regards to nations leagues. If most of Europe void their respective leagues - this can only mean no Champions League or Europa League next season.

Good insight.

Mid Calder Jambo
4 minutes ago, Rogue Daddy said:

Euro 2020 could be played instead of the Chanpions league.  How would that affect the poor box at Darkheid

baxterd1974
5 minutes ago, Rogue Daddy said:

Not a chance that there won't be a CL next season, it's the cash cow.

Forever Hearts
10 minutes ago, Gashauskis9 said:

5th round next season.  But I think you knew that 🙄.

I did know it, and it still doesn't make sense. If this season's Scottish Cup semis can't be played on time then play them in October. It's only three games. 

14 minutes ago, annushorribilis III said:

I'm not, that's your interpretation. I mention it only in the context of the SPFL (ie the member clubs themselves) voting on the matter on the assumption that there is NO rule covering the 30 game scenario. 

Final para - i) You don't know, none of us know how the clubs /SPFL will act

ii) so relegation IS still a possibility then .

Thanks for taking the time to respond - I'm still not persuaded that the SPFL and the member clubs do not have the power to call a vote on this (I'm talking relegation only simply because of the wave effect through the league structure. I'm not concerned with the Glasgow clubs potential bickering) however unlikely this might be but  it's not impossible. 

Relegation is a possibility but it isn't a legal one, in my opinion.

Financially we can't play behind closed doors, we have issues with players' and managers' contracts if we prolong this as well as fitness levels and so on. I genuinely think the league will wrap up shortly.

7 minutes ago, Rogue Daddy said:

Same teams as this season I’d think. 

annushorribilis III
1 minute ago, JJ93 said:

Relegation is a possibility but it isn't a legal one, in my opinion.

Financially we can't play behind closed doors, we have issues with players' and managers' contracts if we prolong this as well as fitness levels and so on. I genuinely think the league will wrap up shortly.

Happy to close on those points.

Cheers.

Hearts and Rangers vote against Celtic being champions. Hearts and Rangers vote against Hearts being Relegated. Easy!

6 hours ago, JJ93 said:

Legally actionable. Not a chance it would stand up in court.

Thought the governing bodies had final say in football matters not courts?

Rogue Daddy
1 minute ago, soonbe110 said:

Same teams as this season I’d think. 

Yep.. as someone said. Really quite simple.

For me, the only way ahead is to draw a line under this season and start again next season (with the exception of extending leagues to allow for promotion(s))... it's the only way I can see it working to be fair.

The key way to think about this predicament is through these two concepts: relegation vs. demotion.

It would be demotion, not relegation, if the league ended before the end of the season and we were sent down.