They Can't Relegate Us (Legally)

JJ93

5 minutes ago, viva hate said:

EPL reported to be looking at similar, looks like the best way forward in my opinion. Celtic crowned champions as well? 

I would take it that would be the case. There seems to have been an outbreak of pragmatism at Hampden and a realisation the season is over. If that is the case. Mrs Budge and co will have dodged the bullet.

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• IveSeenTheLight

• Beast Boy

• Bazzas right boot

• Lord Beni of Gorgie

38 minutes ago, Forever Hearts said:

No, they don't. They deserve NOTHING until it's mathematically impossible that they can be caught. 

Spot on if that was the case then Celtic and Dundee Utd would

already have been presented with the titles although highly unlikely 

anything can happen in football with even leading teams having a loss of form

Jambof3tornado
14 minutes ago, Deevers said:

Speaking to a journalist last night who I know and normally has his ear pretty close to things. He’s heard that the SPFL and the SFA have already accepted that this season is a wipe out now. Talks are underway with the clubs as to the way forward. A change in the format for next season is apparently the most favoured option. No relegation with the two teams at the top of the Championship coming up to for a 14 team top league. 

If we go with the 14 team top flight do we split after 2 rounds or the usual 3?

End of next season 2 down automatically and 1 play off??

Anything that keeps our undeseving arses up is good for me.

3 minutes ago, Jambof3tornado said:

If we go with the 14 team top flight do we split after 2 rounds or the usual 3?

End of next season 2 down automatically and 1 play off??

Anything that keeps our undeseving arses up is good for me.

No idea what the eventual format would be. Just posting on a conversation I had with someone who appears be aware of the thinking inside the SFA/SPFL just now on how they might proceed.

One option is let 1st to 10th stand. Hearts and Hamilton to face each other over two games. Loser plays 2nd place in championship. 

Much better than just letting the whole league stand. 

9 hours ago, bigsuperslim1874 said:

Folk should remember it’s not like we couldn’t overturn the current deficit - I.E we have played 30 games and mathematically couldn’t get away from bottom of the table. It’s still more than possible we could so - we shouldn’t feel bad if we end up staying in the premiership. Not our fault we might not get the chance to claw back the 4 points from 24 still available.

Its not the same as Dons dodging the drop in the 90’s.

Exactly although not in a good league position there is still 24 points 

to play and not mathematically relegated yet also same goes for celtic

who are not mathematically over the line yet although highly unlikely Rangers

could still win the league 

So if the old firm game had gone ahead and sevco won, and then won their game in hand over the demons, they would be 7 pts behind, with 21, and another derby, to lay for.

Aye, ginger chops, you should be crowned champions.

As for us....4pts.....never make that up in 8 games !!!

SPFL need to man up, not wait for anyone else to show them how to make a decision, and make one now. Scratch the league season.

7 minutes ago, Ruud Krol said:

Not surprised with Chris Sutton always one for wanting recognition 

chris Boyd has another opinion on this matter which is more sensible 

pettigrewsstylist
1 hour ago, stotty said:

If only those useless pricks had turned up and won at St Mirren, I'd be a lot more relaxed. 

Or any other of countless games

The Real Maroonblood
5 minutes ago, Hairdryer said:

Not surprised with Chris Sutton always one for wanting recognition 

chris Boyd has another opinion on this matter which is more sensible 

Someone should ask him why he’s a hypocrite.

Forever Hearts
1 hour ago, Smith's right boot said:

Not imo, them and the likes of liverpool would have 100% won their leagues. 

Imo they do deserve to be promoted. 

There's been cases in the past where teams have had what looks like an unassailable lead and theyve ended up being caught. You don't give out league titles in March. 

And where do you stop? What about the EFL where Leeds are one point in front, do they get the league title? 

It’s not about who deserves it the most though. Teams have a schedule and some have played harder games than others, as well as many other factors. I don’t see any other way of deciding the season than null and voiding the lot in the event that we can’t finish it. 8 games is over 20% of the fixtures left. Personally I couldn’t care less who wins the title but Sutton coming out with that rubbish is dangerous. We have 8 games to go including 4 home games against bottom 6 opposition.

To be fair, there is big calls to be made. There is going to be thousands of upset fans regardless.

37 minutes ago, Deevers said:

I would take it that would be the case. There seems to have been an outbreak of pragmatism at Hampden and a realisation the season is over. If that is the case. Mrs Budge and co will have dodged the bullet.

I think that is wishful thinking , unfortunately. I cannot seed how you can possibly bestow a championship on a team... fairly and the same applies to all the other facets promotion, relegation etc. The only way out of this is one of two options 1 declare the season null and void or 2 wait however long it takes to restart football matches and play the remaining games. For me the first option would be the most logical assuming that this period of postponement is of a very lengthy time. 

Bazzas right boot
9 minutes ago, Mort said:

It’s not about who deserves it the most though. Teams have a schedule and some have played harder games than others, as well as many other factors. I don’t see any other way of deciding the season than null and voiding the lot in the event that we can’t finish it. 8 games is over 20% of the fixtures left. Personally I couldn’t care less who wins the title but Sutton coming out with that rubbish is dangerous. We have 8 games to go including 4 home games against bottom 6 opposition.

To be fair, there is big calls to be made. There is going to be thousands of upset fans regardless.

I agree. 

IveSeenTheLight
10 hours ago, bigsuperslim1874 said:

Its not the same as Dons dodging the drop in the 90’s.

we’ve covered this 😆

Just now, Smith's right boot said:

I agree. 

I thought you said titles should be awarded ?

That’s not agreeing with that post.

7 minutes ago, jock _turd said:

I think that is wishful thinking , unfortunately. I cannot seed how you can possibly bestow a championship on a team... fairly and the same applies to all the other facets promotion, relegation etc. The only way out of this is one of two options 1 declare the season null and void or 2 wait however long it takes to restart football matches and play the remaining games. For me the first option would be the most logical assuming that this period of postponement is of a very lengthy time. 

Yeh, it’s an interesting  one for the authorities. What ever way they go they will be castigated by some.  One thing is pretty certain though and that is that the season is over. This virus is not going to just disappear in a matter of a couple of weeks and you get the feeling that measures to stop its spread will become ever more draconian. It’s an unenviable balancing act for Doncaster and co.

Edited by Deevers

The_razors_edge

This makes it quite clear. Basically the team in 12th would only be relegated to the championship following the completion of all league matches. So unless they decide to complete the season behind closed doors I don’t think there’s any Justification within their own rules to relegate us. 

24D98434-B177-42FA-9EDA-D1F73C00EAF9.jpeg

IveSeenTheLight

Tbh, we don't dsereve to go down. 

Utd do deserve to come up tho and celtic do deserve the league title. 

‘That is such a contradictory post

Bazzas right boot
16 minutes ago, Forever Hearts said:

There's been cases in the past where teams have had what looks like an unassailable lead and theyve ended up being caught. You don't give out league titles in March. 

And where do you stop? What about the EFL where Leeds are one point in front, do they get the league title? 

I agree. 

1 point v 20 odd is completely different. 

Even the most fanciful man Utd fan would concede Liverpool are deserved champions. 

It is more of a minefield tho. 

Null and void seems the Likley if the season cannot be concluded. 

Finishing as is could be done tho. 

I suspect every league will do the same tbh, with most leagues close it Likley means the null and void option if the fixtures cannot be completed. 

Ofc, the could play an agreed 3/4 (a set number) games behind closed doors later on  that may sort out some things mathematically and then go from there. 

There are several options tbh. 

No matter what, some teams will be pissed unless the fixtures can be played out fully. 

Bazzas right boot
3 minutes ago, Boab said:

I thought you said titles should be awarded ?

That’s not agreeing with that post.

I said the could be, it might be fairer. 

Arguments both ways tho. 

I can see all arguments, apart from completing the fixtures all other scenerios have pros and cons that fans will argue about. 

Tbh, right now the last thing I'm worried about is titles, I'm not arsed either way, it's irrelevant to us. 

1 hour ago, Forever Hearts said:

No, they don't. They deserve NOTHING until it's mathematically impossible that they can be caught. 

I think we can all agree Celtic will be well deserved champions. 

kingantti1874
1 minute ago, Des Lynam said:

**** off 😂 I wouldn’t give those tramps the steam off my pish.. 

then by that reasoning surely relegate us ?

A classic example of how it can all go wrong was when Butchers Hibs got relegated. They never won a single point after the split.  So unless it’s mathematically impossible to either win the league or avoid relegation then you simply can’t announce title winners or relegate a team

Edited by 1971fozzy

tolcross lad
7 minutes ago, Forever Hearts said:

"It aint over til the fat lady sings" applies to all sports.

You could go through all the leagues and find contentious relegation and promotion scenarios.

Bonnyrigg Rose are 6 points behind Kelty Hearts in the Lowland League but have a game in hand.Kelty are yet to visit New Dundas Park and have a harder run in.They are still favourites but there is no way the title could be awarded to them.

If decisions are made on a case by case basis -As you say where do you stop?

Rogue Daddy

The only realistic option is  - no more league games.

Everything null and void.

Start again from scratch next season (as if this season never happened eg. all teams that qualified for European competition are reinstated to start again.)

...the only exception is to promote 2 or 4 teams from each league with the same amount relegated at the end of that season.

This IMO is the 'easiest' and fairest way.... and can be applied to every league in Europe. UEFA need to make an announcement.

3 minutes ago, Des Lynam said:

I think you agree don’t talk for everyone 

Just now, Des Lynam said:

🤣

Started early, not even 10 bells !

I have a million chores to do, have fun !

5 minutes ago, Des Lynam said:

Yes if the league is completed and they win I will stand and applaud in unfettered admiration for their wonderful achievement.

Clubs usually start selling season tickets about now (vermin I believe have already started).

For this reason Id think the powers that be will have to make a decision quite quickly (as in a month).

This coronavirus is here for a good few months at the very least

Bazzas right boot
7 minutes ago, 1971fozzy said:

then by that reasoning surely relegate us ?

A classic example of how it can all go wrong was when Butchers Hibs got relegated. They never won a single point after the split.  So unless it’s mathematically impossible to either win the league or avoid relegation then you simply can’t announce title winners or relegate a team

They could if they take it as is. 

As I said, it is an option. 

If the league ends now, then it is mathematically impossible for us to catch Hamilton and anyone to catch celtic as the league is... Finished. 

Sutton is slavering that pish because his agenda is for Celtic to be awarded the league title.     The simplest way for that is for the league to be declared complete with current standings.    That's what he wants... the path of least resistance to Celtic being given the title.    He doesn't want it thought out in any other way because it might add some risk to Celtic being given the title.

Supposed fairness to declare Hearts relegated is a peripheral notion to strengthen his agenda regarding the title.    Nothing else.     

The mind processes of a dishonest simpleton.

Celtic signed up to the rules of the competition. You can only be crowned champions after playing 38 complete games. They have not met the requirement to be awarded the title. End of story. They can GTF.

Edited by stuart500

2 minutes ago, Smith's right boot said:

If the league ends now, then it is mathematically impossible for us to catch Hamilton and anyone to catch celtic as the league is... Finished. 

so relegate us when there is 24 points on the table and Ross County are doing a “Butchers Hibs” like collapse ?

There is no chance they’ll relegate us , absolutely none , Hearts would take them all the way. As far as I understand it there is nowhere in the rules that in such a case condemns us in this position. It’s likely they will make an amendment To the rule book going forward in seasons but right now that would be a mammoth call and leaving them wide open for court.

can you imagine if that happened in England , Spain etc. 
Not a chance

Jambof3tornado
1 hour ago, Deevers said:

No idea what the eventual format would be. Just posting on a conversation I had with someone who appears be aware of the thinking inside the SFA/SPFL just now on how they might proceed.

Nah just looking for opinions. The 4 Old Firm games are a requirement of the tv deal still which is shocking so that will be the prime concern.

The Holy Trinity of consequences that could play out...

1.   We dodge relegation,  causing untold torment to the vermin.

2.   Celtic do not get the title,  causing Defcon 1 levels of seethe.

3.   Hibs finances sail down the shitter and they collapse.

And realistic.

Class of 75
Just now, Victorian said:

And realistic.

Very pleasing 

3 minutes ago, Jambof3tornado said:

Nah just looking for opinions. The 4 Old Firm games are a requirement of the tv deal still which is shocking so that will be the prime concern.

Would probably be play each other twice  = 26 games

split in to top and bottom 7 and play each other twice = 12 games

38 games. Still giving the TV their Old Firm games.

Edited by Deevers

Bazzas right boot
4 minutes ago, Victorian said:

And realistic.

Yip. 😍

Jambof3tornado
3 minutes ago, Deevers said:

Would probably be play each other twice  = 26 games

split in to top and bottom 7 and play each other twice = 12 games

38 games. Still giving the TV their Old Firm games.

Assuming they finish in the same half of the league, which is why the tv deal is a farce, and why conspiracy theorists would suggest refs favour the old firm!! Lol.

Big decisions ahead.

The_razors_edge
11 minutes ago, Smith's right boot said:

no they can’t. The league hasn’t ‘finished’ as we haven’t completed the required 38 league games. 

the SPFL’s rules and regulations state teams will only be promoted and relegated upon completion of all 38 league matches. Likewise with dishing out trophies.

they’d be in breach of their own rules and regulations if they forced relegation upon us. 

If, as is looking likely, there will be no more games this season I don’t think the SPFL will have any choice but to class this season as null and void.