They Can't Relegate Us (Legally)

JJ93

2 minutes ago, GinRummy said:

Sorry. That’s partly right but there is no reason whatsoever that extra teams should not be invited from the championship to join our league. 

Maybe but that’s a separate issue and one that has been discussed many a time. There are many issues including amount of games so I’m not even sure there is appetite for a 14 league. I think we are mudding the waters by adding league expansion to the problem. 

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• IveSeenTheLight

• Beast Boy

• Bazzas right boot

• Lord Beni of Gorgie

Every other league is having serious talks about voiding the season and introducing a promotion only solution. 

Scottish football refuses because it’s so important celtic get their 9th title.  Either a solution where all remaining fixtures can be played or a voided league is the only fair way to go forward.  If they can guarantee the games will be played I am all for playing the rest of the season although I’m sure the contract situations throw a huge spanner in the works. 

Lord Beni of Gorgie
Just now, JimmyCant said:

I can see a moral case for promoting Dundee Utd but the other place in the. Championship  is very unclear and still 6-7 clubs in the mathematical mix. That would be a play off scenario. If you declare Dundee Utd on the grounds of strong likelihood then you also have to declare Celtic for the same reason. Fine by me as long us we don’t go down on the back of it, but I also think the SPFL prize money should be split 12 equal ways in that scenario.

It will have to be consistent through the leagues I would imagine. 

League 1 presents a problem. 

Null and void is probably the only way to go.

No European football next season avoiding travel and easing fixture congestion .

Recalibrate through 20/21 ready for normality in 21/22. Its quite simple 

7 minutes ago, Smith's right boot said:

It also does not say that in event of 38 games not being completed that the league is null and void. 

Shouting 38 games is all good, but this situation is unique. 

Therefor a unique solution will have to be " made up". 

Correct it doesn’t say that but logic and common sense tells us that when any sort of tournament or competition isn’t completed for whatever reason there are no winners or losers. It’s that basis that means the league will be void, not any made up rules you seem hellbent on daydreaming about. 

Just now, Sir Gio said:

It will have to be consistent through the leagues I would imagine. 

League 1 presents a problem. 

Null and void is probably the only way to go.

No European football next season avoiding travel and easing fixture congestion .

Recalibrate through 20/21 ready for normality in 21/22. Its quite simple 

It’s very simple if we didn’t have an incompetent buffoon having his ear whispered In by a bullying dictator who holds much of the real power.

Five to One
1 minute ago, Suso Santana said:

It's looking like the league will finish as it stands. 

Hearing that on Sportsound now. Be interesting to hear the justification for this and precedent it sets for the future. I for one would be appalled.

2 minutes ago, Suso Santana said:

I think this is what will happen and we will possibly be relegated.

Anyone listening to Sportsound? 

Nitsand (sp🤷🏼‍♂️) basically hinting that league being void isn't being considered. League placing as it stands

9 minutes ago, Dazo said:

Maybe but that’s a separate issue and one that has been discussed many a time. There are many issues including amount of games so I’m not even sure there is appetite for a 14 league. I think we are mudding the waters by adding league expansion to the problem. 

Germany are going to do it. It’s been mentioned in the English press as a possibility. I don’t believe it is muddying the waters. It’s a fairer solution, not fair but fairer, than just voiding the season and repeating it next season. 

anyway this seasons league can’t just be ignored. There are European places to consider. 

Edited by GinRummy

Personally I'd feel embarrassed if we were to stay up because the competition was declared null and void. We would never be allowed to forget it. Equally I would feel very aggrieved if we were relegated and the season was stopped now. We still have as good an opportunity as the other teams around us to stay up. Mathematically it is still possible for it to be in our hands and stay up. 

Looking at the other end of the table, my same logic applies. Should Celtic be declared winners, the title is tainted. Slight difference being it is not mathematicaly possible for Rangers to win if they were to win all remaining games but they would still need Celtic to drop points, unlikely but not inconceivable. It is not in Rangers hands.

For me they have to find away of completing the season. Sporting integrity! 

12 minutes ago, Smith's right boot said:

It also does not say that in event of 38 games not being completed that the league is null and void. 

Shouting 38 games is all good, but this situation is unique. 

Therefor a unique solution will have to be " made up". 

It does say that by implication. There is a contractual legally binding rule there that has to be observed. Handing down verdicts and outcomes  at 30 games directly contravenes that rule.

Captain Canada
1 minute ago, robbo1874 said:

Nitsand (sp🤷🏼‍♂️) basically hinting that league being void isn't being considered. League placing as it stands

If that's the case, then they can expect a few months of legal battles. And when would they have the play-offs? 

No longer active
1 minute ago, robbo1874 said:

Fella it’s all speculation. There will be a meeting of clubs as they are all members of the league and options will be discussed. Once the meeting has been VOTED on the result will be divulged to us

Lord Beni of Gorgie
4 minutes ago, JimmyCant said:

It’s very simple if we didn’t have an incompetent buffoon having his ear whispered In by a bullying dictator who holds much of the real power.

Litigation is what will determine the outcome. 

Fear of bankruptcy is very much the driver to the final decision 

Germany are going to do it. It’s been mentioned in the English press as a possibility. I don’t believe it is muddying the waters. It’s a fairer solution, not fair but fairer, than just voiding the season and repeating it next season. 

Nothing but speculation at the moment however I’m not sure it’s fairer, except to Dundee Utd. ICT will have won a watch. What happens in the championship, league 1 & 2 ? 

2 minutes ago, Captain Canada said:

If that's the case, then they can expect a few months of legal battles. And when would they have the play-offs? 

Not sure how that works, I'm sure I read somewhere about uefa not very keen on clubs taking on their respective associations. But not saying that's accurate

2 minutes ago, George Cowie said:

Fella it’s all speculation. There will be a meeting of clubs as they are all members of the league and options will be discussed. Once the meeting has been VOTED on the result will be divulged to us

Hopefully you're right

Bazzas right boot
7 minutes ago, Sir Gio said:

Tosh. Relax

Nah. 

I'm oan it now. 

Folk saying the league should be 38 games... Ffs. 

My cat knows that. 

4 minutes ago, Smith's right boot said:

Nah. 

I'm oan it now. 

Folk saying the league should be 38 games... Ffs. 

My cat knows that. 

Here’s another thing. Any substantial change would require an 11-1 majority vote amongst the clubs. Off the top of my head I can think of at least 2 who Will vote against .

Edited by JimmyCant

Suso Santana

It seems to be a time issue. 

They won't allow this season to effect the start of next season. 

So i guess it depends on how much worse the corona situation gets. 

You could easily batter out 8 games in 5 weeks, but then you have the play offs etc. 

7 minutes ago, Dazo said:

Nothing but speculation at the moment however I’m not sure it’s fairer, except to Dundee Utd. ICT will have won a watch. What happens in the championship, league 1 & 2 ? 

no relegation promote in each league and promote two clubs to league 2. What difference do united and ICT’s away support make to to teams down in those leagues anyway. Plus the fact it’ll be easier for sides in the championship to get promotion next season as well. 

no relegation promote in each league and promote two clubs to league 2. What difference do united and ICT’s away support make to to teams down in those leagues anyway. Plus the fact it’ll be easier for sides in the championship to get promotion next season as well. 

Wow you think changing every league in the professional setup, rewarding Teams with as yet unmerited achievements is fairer than the status quo ? I just can’t agree. 

It is utterly ridiculous to relegate us, there is so much football to be played. Are they going to relegate Bournemouth in the EPL who are bottom by a goal? Or Villa who if they win there game in hand they are out of the relegation zone? Or even Norwich who are 6 points away? Not a chance.

23 minutes ago, robbo1874 said:

It took me a good while to figure out, but I'm guessing "Nitsand" is Kheredine Iddesane?

Just now, DC_92 said:

It took me a good while to figure out, but I'm guessing "Nitsand" is Kheredine Iddesane?

That'll be it 🤦‍♂️

Jack Torrance

We're an innovate nation. I reckon we should lead the way. Once the virus has settled, we should hold a Tennent's Sixes tournament to decide all the remaining fixtures. 

We could sort things in a weekend! Job done.

6 minutes ago, Dazo said:

Wow you think changing every league in the professional setup, rewarding Teams with as yet unmerited achievements is fairer than the status quo ? I just can’t agree. 

Or helping some teams as opposed to helping nobody is an alternate viewpoint. Doing nothing just sums up the shambles that is Scottish football, imo.

fwiw the German league are doing similar regarding promotion without relegation. Different I know but it proves it’s maybe not such a left field approach. 

Edited by GinRummy

Suso Santana
1 minute ago, Jack Torrance said:

We're an innovate nation. I reckon we should lead the way. Once the virus has settled, we should hold a Tennent's Sixes tournament to decide all the remaining fixtures. 

We could sort things in a weekend! Job done.

Why don't we just get 5 supporters from every club and book the local 5 aside pitch for the day?

Lord Beni of Gorgie

How about average points through eternity. 

Square go.

Drawing straws. 

IP dip dog shit you are not it.

54 minutes ago, johnthomas said:

Bang on . When it suits his agenda he could (very) occasionally be described as being pro Hearts

It’s astonishing that more people don’t realise it.

Dagger Is Back
17 hours ago, GinRummy said:

Levein 

He'll be last man standing you can put your last toilet roll on that

Calebs Grandad

We have certain players on 6 month contracts and possibly sponsorships which will end if we are relegated. If this happens without fulfilling the full quota of games or at least seeing us mathematically down before the full quota are played it would become a legal minefield id imagine. Until the dreaded (R) appears before Hearts in the league table we are not relegated and the SPFL have no right to decide this outcome. 

Brighton Jambo

All this talk of legal challenges is well and good but there is absolutely no precedent for this anywhere.  No court is going to force a football league to changes it decisions.  They might award financial compensation to address loss of earnings but I cannot see anyway they change the actual decision.  

pettigrewsstylist
45 minutes ago, George Cowie said:

The way i see it. Its a members club isnt it?

Five to One
1 minute ago, Brighton Jambo said:

All this talk of legal challenges is well and good but there is absolutely no precedent for this anywhere.  No court is going to force a football league to changes it decisions.  They might award financial compensation to address loss of earnings but I cannot see anyway they change the actual decision.  

Court of Arbitration for Sport?

Dagger Is Back
43 minutes ago, SkabalaJam said:

Personally I'd feel embarrassed if we were to stay up because the competition was declared null and void. We would never be allowed to forget it. Equally I would feel very aggrieved if we were relegated and the season was stopped now. We still have as good an opportunity as the other teams around us to stay up. Mathematically it is still possible for it to be in our hands and stay up. 

Looking at the other end of the table, my same logic applies. Should Celtic be declared winners, the title is tainted. Slight difference being it is not mathematicaly possible for Rangers to win if they were to win all remaining games but they would still need Celtic to drop points, unlikely but not inconceivable. It is not in Rangers hands.

For me they have to find away of completing the season. Sporting integrity! 

I wouldn't feel in the slightest embarrassed. It's like being 2-0 down in a cup final with 18 minutes to play and the game being abandoned due to poor weather. If it was mathematically over and the season draws to an early close fair enough. I've said before that if we finish 38 games and we're bottom, we deserve to go down. There will be no crying from me and trying to deflect blame on to other parties other than our own Board and players

20 minutes ago, Suso Santana said:

Why don't we just get 5 supporters from every club and book the local 5 aside pitch for the day?

Best idea yet .....I’m in please 👍

Brighton Jambo
10 minutes ago, Five to One said:

Court of Arbitration for Sport?

They aren’t going to overturn it, they might disagree with the decision and award compensation but how can they order a league that has been declared null and void or concluded to be played.  Think it through that scenario just can’t be implemented in actuality.

Given there can be no existing case law for this they can surely just defer back to the judgment of the original bodies.

if we get Relegated I would be embarrassed if we end up going to CoA.  We were the worst team in the league to this point, no excuses no mitigation.  Then a once in 100 years unprecedented event happens so we should take our medicine and suck it up.  Not whining ‘it’s not fair’. That’s all a bit Hibs for my liking. 

Edited by Brighton Jambo

tolcross lad

There is no way that Hearts should accept being shafted in this situation.As i have said "it aint over til the fat lady sings"The rules back this up.

The SPFL will be ridden with self interest and Hearts should seek allies,use the rule book and if necessary the threat of legal action if there is an attempt to decide that its league placings as its stands.

Forget the "we deserve it nonsense".We are talking about the future of our club and millions of pounds.

59 minutes ago, SkabalaJam said:

Personally I'd feel embarrassed if we were to stay up because the competition was declared null and void.

Would you? I wouldn’t give a monkeys?

Pat Bonner on Sportsound raging because Daryl Broadfoot on Sportsound praised Hearts fans for being reasonable when Neil Lennon is demanding Celtic be given the title. 

4 minutes ago, tolcross lad said:

There is no way that Hearts should accept being shafted in this situation.As i have said "it aint over til the fat lady sings"The rules back this up.

The SPFL will be ridden with self interest and Hearts should seek allies,use the rule book and if necessary the threat of legal action if there is an attempt to decide that its league placings as its stands.

Forget the "we deserve it nonsense".We are talking about the future of our club and millions of pounds.

Exactly.

WTF is this 'we deserve it' bs?

Jack Torrance
2 minutes ago, Suso Santana said:

Bagsie no in goals. 

Instead of penalties we could have long bangers to decide a match after extra time 👍

3 minutes ago, Jack Torrance said:

Instead of penalties we could have long bangers to decide a match after extra time 👍

Ignore that, I've got a high temperature. Not thinking straight 😬

Edited by robbo1874
Being a plum

1 hour ago, Suso Santana said:

Then Celtic, Liverpool & any other champions of their respective leagues, if awarded their titles will have an asterisk placed by their names to highlight the fact that the title was awarded as opposed to won in the spirit of the competition due to the non conclusion of that years fixtures.

Brighton Jambo
1 minute ago, sac said:

Then Celtic, Liverpool & any other champions of their respective leagues, if awarded their titles will have an asterisk placed by their names to highlight the fact that the title was awarded as opposed to won in the spirit of the competition due to the non conclusion of that years fixtures.

Do you think they will really give a sh@t