Coronavirus Super Thread ( merged )

CJGJ

The Face Nappy chat must be one of the most cringeworthy contributions made to this thread !  I presume the Punter concerned does not have any ageing relatives, or if he does he presumably is in line for a big inheritance.

• Replies 107.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JudyJudyJudy

• Victorian

• redjambo

• The Real Maroonblood

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

56 minutes ago, kila said:

Surprised we've not had more of this sort of thing on this thread :laugh:

"Hello, I'm looking to speak with '**** the SPFL' about Covid restrictions, socially distanced of course, is he around?"

😂😂 

Edit: the swear filter filters out an accepted username 😂😂

Edited by Taffin

8 minutes ago, John Findlay said:

The vulnerable were double vaccinated and boostered well before I was. Stop being such a drama queen.

Some vulnerable people are unable to take the vaccines, or haven't taken them because they've been misled by anti vax propaganda. 

The Mighty Thor
17 minutes ago, Footballfirst said:

but anyone who doesn't register their +ve LFT test won't have their results included.

I wondered the other day just how many people actually do register their LFT results either way?

I take 2 a week and after trying the first time to register the result and it being a total faff I gave up. 

12 minutes ago, Ray Gin said:

Some vulnerable people are unable to take the vaccines, or haven't taken them because they've been misled by anti vax propaganda. 

Those that cannot get vaccinated for health reasons, I am sure stay mainly in their home as they will be vulnerable to other viruses as well as Covid. Those that believe in the anti vax propaganda then more fool them. They in my opinion only have themselves to blame.

Edited by John Findlay

3 hours ago, Gizmo said:

Who are these people? I don't think I've met anyone like this during the entire pandemic. 

Continues to feel like a strawman that the pro-disease created to have a target to vent their impotent fury at. 

Yup, but I don’t doubt you will continue to read about these nebulous folk on subsequent pages. 

Brighton Jambo
1 hour ago, Malinga the Swinga said:

He's hardly going to make statement saying restrictions making no difference and numbers would have been the same regardless.

Anyway, we are almost at 17th so next update becomes most relevant rather than looking at past one.

Except that he has actually gone and basically said exactly that today.  Credit to him for  his honesty.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/experts-cast-doubt-on-sturgeon-s-lockdown-measures-bxmcdfx85

Brighton Jambo
Monday January 10 2022, 4.40pm, The Times

Scotland’s national clinical director has admitted that closing nightclubs and cancelling football fixtures has made little difference to Scotland’s coronavirus case numbers compared with the more liberal regime in England.

Jason Leitch claimed that the Scottish restrictions, which incensed football fans and nightclub bosses, were “quite minor”.

48 minutes ago, John Findlay said:

The vulnerable were double vaccinated and boostered well before I was. Stop being such a drama queen.

Actually,  no.  Lots of the most vulnerable were never able to be vaccinated at all.  Others were vaccinated but have very weak immune systems.  

The vulnerable is not some convenient group to be filed away as safely dealt and to forget.  It's much more nuanced.

Just now, Victorian said:

Actually,  no.  Lots of the most vulnerable were never able to be vaccinated at all.  Others were vaccinated but have very weak immune systems.  

The vulnerable is not some convenient group to be filed away as safely dealt and to forget.  It's much more nuanced.

Then I would humbly suggest, that they have been in a form of lock down for years, which is very unfortunate, no-one has filed them away.

35 minutes ago, John Findlay said:

Those that cannot get vaccinated for health reasons, I am sure stay mainly in their home as they will be vulnerable to other viruses as well as Covid. Those that believe in the anti vax propaganda then more fool them. They in my opinion only have themselves to blame.

or maybe they have decided not to get the vaccine . even if " vulnerable" ? 

2 minutes ago, John Findlay said:

Then I would humbly suggest, that they have been in a form of lock down for years, which is very unfortunate, no-one has filed them away.

It's unfortunate for them to have the health issues they have.  Even pre-covid.  They've had a rough 22 months.  Lots of them probably fear the future.  Shite all round.  

Lots of people in this amorphous group do get out and about.  They must dread the most at the people going around without face coverings where mandated.  Even that small thing allows that little crumb of confidence to some people.  

6 minutes ago, John Findlay said:

They are a minority of a minority. So do the vast majority have to suffer due to this then ? Where would it end ? Maybe they have to accept that they need to be extra cautious when out and about , as no doubt they always have been anyway. 

1 minute ago, JamesM48 said:

They are a minority of a minority. So do the vast majority have to suffer due to this then ? Where would it end ? Maybe they have to accept that they need to be extra cautious when out and about , as no doubt they always have been anyway. 

I think you should be addressing Victorian and not me.

Got my pcr test result back which confirms covid. So i am finally a covid 19 stat. Probably got it around Friday. Felt bit  

"off" Saturday then felt slightly more off Sunday ( stuffy nose and intermittent cough every 30 /45 mins) No fever . Slight aches and pains ( although had to tell as I always have them anyway) . Managed to get the test very rapidly which I am impressed by and this time got the result the next day. Today feeling a lot better. So result really. 

1 minute ago, John Findlay said:

I think you should be addressing Victorian and not me.

Yes it was meant for him but I'm sure he will read it :) apologies . It wasnt having a go at you or even him. Just an opinion. Dont want to upset the apple cart on this thread . Trying to keep it harmonious. :) 

3 minutes ago, JamesM48 said:

Yes it was meant for him but I'm sure he will read it :) apologies . It wasnt having a go at you or even him. Just an opinion. Dont want to upset the apple cart on this thread . Trying to keep it harmonious. :) 

👍

4 minutes ago, JamesM48 said:

:tlj:

Footballfirst
17 minutes ago, JamesM48 said:

Got my pcr test result back which confirms covid. So i am finally a covid 19 stat. Probably got it around Friday. Felt bit  

"off" Saturday then felt slightly more off Sunday ( stuffy nose and intermittent cough every 30 /45 mins) No fever . Slight aches and pains ( although had to tell as I always have them anyway) . Managed to get the test very rapidly which I am impressed by and this time got the result the next day. Today feeling a lot better. So result really. 

Hope you are fully recovered soon and can be free from isolation within the prescribed 7 days.

I'm sure you will be asked about this by Track and Trace (assuming they get to you). Feel free not to answer if you think I'm intruding on your privacy. You think you may have got infected on Friday. Is that because you were in contact with someone who has also tested positive or that you were in a location with others who could have passed it on, e.g. a pub?

I only ask because everyone I know who has tested positive is fairy certain as to who they caught it from, i.e. a known family member, friend or other person who was in their company for a period.  I can't recall anyone who believes that they caught the virus just by being in a venue.   

Adam_the_legend
2 hours ago, XB52 said:

Sorry, you obviously don't understand how it works so I'll leave you to it 

Yeh, that’s what I thought 🙄

14 minutes ago, Footballfirst said:

Hope you are fully recovered soon and can be free from isolation within the prescribed 7 days.

I'm sure you will be asked about this by Track and Trace (assuming they get to you). Feel free not to answer if you think I'm intruding on your privacy. You think you may have got infected on Friday. Is that because you were in contact with someone who has also tested positive or that you were in a location with others who could have passed it on, e.g. a pub?

I only ask because everyone I know who has tested positive is fairy certain as to who they caught it from, i.e. a known family member, friend or other person who was in their company for a period.  I can't recall anyone who believes that they caught the virus just by being in a venue.   

Hi thanks .

to be Honest I don’t know when I was infected . I have strong suspicious it was at a New Year’s Day  meal I went to. One of the others who was there is also positive . However I didn’t have symtoms until Thursday / Friday ? However I also went for meal Wednesday in a pub . It’s hard to say where  really . I am thinking from what I’ve read I’ve probably been infected since Jan 1st . If I’m clear on Friday / Saturday that’ll prob confirm that date of infection ? Like I said I’ve only had symptoms since Friday to yesterday really . 

Edited by JamesM48

Footballfirst
2 minutes ago, JamesM48 said:

Hi thanks .

to be Honest I don’t know when I was infected . I have strong suspicious it was at a New Year’s Day  meal I went to. One of the others who was there is also positive . However I didn’t have symtoms until Thursday / Friday ? However I also went for meal Wednesday in a pub . It’s hard to say where  really . I am thinking from what I’ve read I’ve probably been infected since Jan 1st . If I’m clear on Friday / Saturday that’ll prob confirm that date of infection ? Like I said I’ve only had symptoms since Friday to yesterday really . 

Thanks for that.  I believe that T&T is usually only interested in the 48 hours before you started to get symptoms.

Lord Montpelier
1 hour ago, Nucky Thompson said:

Spain are going to monitor Covid like any other respiratory illness. They'll stop counting daily infections and won't test every symptom.

With cases on the rise, Spain adapts influenza surveillance system to Covid-19 | Society | EL PAÍS English Edition (elpais.com)

The start of living with it

Sooner we are all doing this the better. More pressure on Sturgeon and her uber cautious approach 

Geoff Kilpatrick
52 minutes ago, JamesM48 said:

Honest question. If you had these symptoms in a pre-Covid world, would you have gone about your business despite feeling a bit shit or would you stay home naturally?

5 minutes ago, Footballfirst said:

Thanks for that.  I believe that T&T is usually only interested in the 48 hours before you started to get symptoms.

Do you think it’s possible that I was infected on the 1st but didn’t have symptoms until 7th? 

4 minutes ago, Geoff Kilpatrick said:

Honest question. If you had these symptoms in a pre-Covid world, would you have gone about your business despite feeling a bit shit or would you stay home naturally?

Yes . Because I thought I just had a sore throat mainly with a slight cough . Thought it might be a mild cold . But as I said I didn’t have a fever 

Footballfirst
2 minutes ago, Lord Montpelier said:

Sooner we are all doing this the better. More pressure on Sturgeon and her uber cautious approach 

I think you will find that she is further down that road than you think.  She alluded to it last week when she talked about a new approach.

"So in light of this, coupled with the fact that unfortunately COVID won’t suddenly disappear and that Omicron is unlikely to be the last new variant we encounter, we need to continue to adapt our thinking about how to manage the virus and become more resilient to it in future.

Let me be clear at this stage, this does not, in my view, mean giving up on trying to control COVID completely - the impact of it on individual health and on our collective wellbeing is too significant for that.

But it does mean seeking ways of doing so that are more proportionate, sustainable and less restrictive.

There are no easy answers here, but adapting to the ongoing challenge of COVID is inescapable. The Scottish Government is therefore currently working on and will publish over the next few weeks a revised strategic framework, which will set out more fully how that process of adaptation can be managed with a view to building that greater resilience.

We will seek views from across Parliament as we develop this new framework in more detail. However, the changes I am about to confirm to the requirements on self isolation and testing are an early indication of an already adapting response."

4 minutes ago, Footballfirst said:

I think you will find that she is further down that road than you think.  She alluded to it last week when she talked about a new approach.

"So in light of this, coupled with the fact that unfortunately COVID won’t suddenly disappear and that Omicron is unlikely to be the last new variant we encounter, we need to continue to adapt our thinking about how to manage the virus and become more resilient to it in future.

Let me be clear at this stage, this does not, in my view, mean giving up on trying to control COVID completely - the impact of it on individual health and on our collective wellbeing is too significant for that.

But it does mean seeking ways of doing so that are more proportionate, sustainable and less restrictive.

There are no easy answers here, but adapting to the ongoing challenge of COVID is inescapable. The Scottish Government is therefore currently working on and will publish over the next few weeks a revised strategic framework, which will set out more fully how that process of adaptation can be managed with a view to building that greater resilience.

We will seek views from across Parliament as we develop this new framework in more detail. However, the changes I am about to confirm to the requirements on self isolation and testing are an early indication of an already adapting response."

Good news 

Footballfirst

Do you think it’s possible that I was infected on the 1st but didn’t have symptoms until 7th? 

I would doubt that's its a "hangover" (pun intended) from 1st.   The 7 day isolation period is meant to be sufficient for at least 95% of infections. You only tested positive at the weekend, by which time you should have been negative had you been infected on 1st Jan. 

3 minutes ago, Footballfirst said:

I would doubt that's its a "hangover" (pun intended) from 1st.   The 7 day isolation period is meant to be sufficient for at least 95% of infections. You only tested positive at the weekend, by which time you should have been negative had you been infected on 1st Jan. 

So probably got infected a few days before ? I’m just curious about when . 

Dennis Denuto

So probably got infected a few days before ? I’m just curious about when . 

Has anyone else in the house tested positive or even tested yet?

Footballfirst
23 minutes ago, Geoff Kilpatrick said:

17 minutes ago, JamesM48 said:

Yes . Because I thought I just had a sore throat mainly with a slight cough . Thought it might be a mild cold . But as I said I didn’t have a fever 

I think we have all gone into work with a head cold at some point.  Generally, people will volunteer that information and suggest that colleagues keep their distance, so as not to catch it.  All fairly sensible, but in the knowledge that the cold was unlikely to be as infectious as we know omicron to be now. 

Edited by Footballfirst

3 minutes ago, Dennis Denuto said:

Has anyone else in the house tested positive or even tested yet?

Nope ! 

5 minutes ago, Dennis Denuto said:

Maybe someone else in the house caught it first?  

No as the person staying with me has been tested too . Negative . As I said the symptoms started on Friday so it says in most info that symptoms usually start 3-5 days after infection ? It’s a strange one . 

Geoff Kilpatrick
7 minutes ago, Boy Daniel said:

One for the data statisticians or anyone who just wants a bit more info on Covid death tolls and excess deaths.

https://apple.news/AkM4xNFprQ1iggHhAz2tNRw

A good article. Age-adjusted excess deaths are the most appropriate measure but normalising data and trying to explain that will cause people's eyes to glaze over, sadly.

Ex member of the SaS
2 hours ago, ScotsAndy said:

The Face Nappy chat must be one of the most cringeworthy contributions made to this thread !  I presume the Punter concerned does not have any ageing relatives, or if he does he presumably is in line for a big inheritance.

I am in the " venerable " age group but I have been in worse situations that worrying about a flu bug.

2 hours ago, JamesM48 said:

All the very best to you James. Take it easy. 

19 minutes ago, Savage Vince said:

All the very best to you James. Take it easy. 

Cheers 👍👍

Lord Montpelier
1 hour ago, Footballfirst said:

Actions speak louder than words. 

manaliveits105
11 hours ago, Nucky Thompson said:

Spain are going to monitor Covid like any other respiratory illness. They'll stop counting daily infections and won't test every symptom.

With cases on the rise, Spain adapts influenza surveillance system to Covid-19 | Society | EL PAÍS English Edition (elpais.com)

The start of living with it

They don’t even have a Chief Mammy too 

9 hours ago, JamesM48 said:

Good news 

How you feeling, bud? Hope you're ok, so I can get back to slapping you about. :cheese:

1 hour ago, ri Alban said:

How you feeling, bud? Hope you're ok, so I can get back to slapping you about. :cheese:

Hi 

Yeah feeling even better the day  so i seem to be over the " worse" which was actually just a minor sore throat and cough so happy with that. Triple jabbed and had / have covid . Couldn't be happier :)   Thanks for asking 👌 yeah I suppose im fit enough to be slapped about again 

image-23-10-21-06-55-9.gif

Edited by JamesM48

4 minutes ago, Taffin said:

No?!? Surely not, I made the vaccinating animals joke about a year ago 😂😂

:lol:

You can already imagine the queues of pet owners outside the vaccine centers. 

1 hour ago, JamesM48 said:

Hi 

Yeah feeling even better the day  so i seem to be over the " worse" which was actually just a minor sore throat and cough so happy with that. Triple jabbed and had / have covid . Couldn't be happier :)   Thanks for asking 👌 yeah I suppose im fit enough to be slapped about again 

image-23-10-21-06-55-9.gif

get better soon pal.

• davemclaren changed the title to Coronavirus Super Thread ( merged )