Coronavirus Super Thread ( merged )

CJGJ

5 minutes ago, Ray Gin said:

So the majority of people in England want Scottish level restrictions or higher? Interesting. 

At 52% of the twitter poll that would require nearly everyone in England to have answered it...which I'm doubtful of but could be wrong.

• Replies 107.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JudyJudyJudy

• Victorian

• redjambo

• The Real Maroonblood

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Dennis Denuto
3 minutes ago, Taffin said:

Surely if you think something is required/needs to be done, you therefore want it to be done?

Unless of course you don't have free will, but I'm assuming those answering the question did.

The way it was originally worded made it sound like they wanted restrictions rather than feeling that they don’t want them but they are necessary. 

A bit like off work isolating or actually sick. 

Brighton Jambo
6 minutes ago, Ray Gin said:

So the majority of people in England want Scottish level restrictions or higher? Interesting. 

Indeed.  Goes to show there’s as many ignorant people south of the border as there is up here.  

Dennis Denuto
4 minutes ago, Ex member of the SaS said:

The problem with any poll is you get the answer you want by only asking certain people. For example if I want a poll to suggest Independence just ask anyone who exits SNP offices, like wise with Covid questions just ask anyone with a face nappy who is wearing one outside and you will get a result that restrictions are necessary.

If you stop using Face Nappy and edit it out your post I will engage with you. Otherwise I’m out. 

Even if the Scottish restrictions do prove to have been in hindsight excessive nobody can blame them for protecting public health. 

I'm aware that a lot of the views on here are distorted because football has been affected. 

Brighton Jambo
Just now, Dennis Denuto said:

The way it was originally worded made it sound like they wanted restrictions rather than feeling that they don’t want them but they are necessary. 

I can’t remember exactly how it was worded to be honest that was my interpretation of the question.  It was definitely 18% for lockdown though as i was  incredulous it could be so high.  

Dennis Denuto
1 minute ago, Brighton Jambo said:

Indeed.  Goes to show there’s as many ignorant people south of the border as there is up here.  

It may well also depend who the Twitter poll was set by and how their followers were made up. 

Brighton Jambo
Just now, luckydug said:

Even if the Scottish restrictions do prove to have been in hindsight excessive nobody can blame them for protecting public health. 

I'm aware that a lot of the views on here are distorted because football has been affected. 

I’m with you on this.  I am openly anti Nicola but I think caution was a logical approach given how much was unknown and having gone down that path didn’t see the point of ending them earlier, might as well hold on till 17th.  I never agreed with the football one though simply because it’s an outdoor activity.  

1 minute ago, Dennis Denuto said:

Want and need are the same imo when you're given a choice. I can't think of a single thing I need to do that I don't want to do. I appreciate it's splitting hairs but you brought it up 😛 

There are however many things I want, but don't need. 

Adam_the_legend
1 minute ago, Footballfirst said:

You are fond of repeating the spike in flu deaths in 2018.

Yes, 2018 was a bad year for flu, but let's put it in some perspective with Covid deaths.

What would the 2018 Flu number have been if we measured the same way we do covid? I don’t think that comparison has been done so it’s a rhetorical question but you do have to wonder if we were testing everyone and their dog for flu and counting those who died for any reason within 28 days of a positive flu test what the numbers would have been.

Even the other calculation done using mentioning it on a death certificate would be much higher if you’re testing people for Flu and putting it on the DC as plenty of asymptomatic cases would be caught. All I want is clarity and a reasonable assessment of the risks, something I don’t think is happening. 

Footballfirst
Just now, Brighton Jambo said:

I’m with you on this.  I am openly anti Nicola but I think caution was a logical approach given how much was unknown and having gone down that path didn’t see the point of ending them earlier, might as well hold on till 17th.  I never agreed with the football one though simply because it’s an outdoor activity.  

We would currently be in the middle of football's scheduled winter break without covid, so there would be no premiership football anyway.  No doubt the same folk would be moaning about there being a break, regardless.

Adam_the_legend
5 minutes ago, luckydug said:

Can we blame them for all the business closures, job losses, families pushed into poverty…etc?

Ex member of the SaS
5 minutes ago, Dennis Denuto said:

If you stop using Face Nappy and edit it out your post I will engage with you. Otherwise I’m out. 

What's the problem with it? The " Face coverings " rule is pointless for a number of reasons. First off people take them off and put them in their pocket and reuse over and over, secondly by making the rule face covering people are using scarfs and strips of cloth that are no where near thick enough to stop the virus passing through. So the whole covering thing is just a comfort blanket for those who think they are doing something.

Ex member of the SaS
5 minutes ago, Adam_the_legend said:

What would the 2018 Flu number have been if we measured the same way we do covid? I don’t think that comparison has been done so it’s a rhetorical question but you do have to wonder if we were testing everyone and their dog for flu and counting those who died for any reason within 28 days of a positive flu test what the numbers would have been.

Even the other calculation done using mentioning it on a death certificate would be much higher if you’re testing people for Flu and putting it on the DC as plenty of asymptomatic cases would be caught. All I want is clarity and a reasonable assessment of the risks, something I don’t think is happening. 

Far too logical for those who use numbers to justify restrictions that do not work.

2 minutes ago, Adam_the_legend said:

Can we blame them for all the business closures, job losses, families pushed into poverty…etc?

Apparently not. 

Just now, Ex member of the SaS said:

What's the problem with it? The " Face coverings " rule is pointless for a number of reasons. First off people take them off and put them in their pocket and reuse over and over, secondly by making the rule face covering people are using scarfs and strips of cloth that are no where near thick enough to stop the virus passing through. So the whole covering thing is just a comfort blanket for those who think they are doing something.

I agree with you and don't really see the issue as it is essentially a material designed to collect human by-product like a nappy, but worn on your face.

That said, it's needlessly inflammatory and doesn't serve any purpose other than to aggravate people so also agree with Dennis about it's usage.

Nucky Thompson
3 minutes ago, luckydug said:

Sturgeon gambled that England were going to follow her lead with tougher restrictions. They didn't and now she looks like a total clown.

The money wasted on compensating shut down businesses will now likely have to be found from future budgets as that's where the extra funding from the Treasury came from.

Like it or not England have been proved right and I'm glad Boris held his nerve 

Ex member of the SaS
1 minute ago, Taffin said:

I agree with you and don't really see the issue as it is essentially a material designed to collect human by-product like a nappy, but worn on your face.

That said, it's needlessly inflammatory and doesn't serve any purpose other than to aggravate people so also agree with Dennis about it's usage.

Ok I will stop using it but it only upsets those who think the restrictions are good and we should go about like Government zombies for the rest of our lives.

Footballfirst
3 minutes ago, Adam_the_legend said:

I hope that you saw the edit I added to my previous post which gave the relative numbers of flu/covid deaths.

I have every expectation that if you looked at flu deaths in detail, you would find that those who died had similar comorbidities as those dying of covid, i.e. they were generally elderly, and had pre existing obesity, diabetes, asthma, COPD, or other heart or lung conditions.

2 hours ago, theshed said:

How can he come out with such rubbish? 

The Scottish government is now just making it up as they go along rather than hold their hands say they were wrong to shut nightclubs and the football. 

Id have more respect for them if they just admitted their restrictions were a bit OTT rather than try to say they are working and was the correct thing to do 

Also you only have to look at the comments on the above article to see people have had enough and don’t believe a word the guy says anymore 

The BBC comments😂😂😂😂. Have a look at any Scottish story on the BBC that allows comments and it is over 90% anti SG/SNP. Doesn't matter what the story is, just a bunch of loony unionists spouting garbage, mostly from outside of Scotland. 

Having said that, it does look like we have been too restrictive this time but there is no way NS will, or should, apologise for erring on the side of caution 

1 minute ago, Lord BJ said:

Is the announcement tomorrow to give clarity on whether restrictions will be eased? Any chance they will be eased from Friday onwards or earliest a week today?

Current rules in place until 17th.

Ex member of the SaS
1 minute ago, Lord BJ said:

Is the announcement tomorrow to give clarity on whether restrictions will be eased? Any chance they will be eased from Friday onwards or earliest a week today?

I think you will find restrictions will stay until the 17th as before but will be lifted in time for the rugby. No way will Nippy allow them to go south to play those games.

Nucky Thompson
Just now, Lord BJ said:

Any chance they will be eased from Friday onwards or earliest a week today?

Can't see it myself going by her previous. Was it not 3 weeks from Boxing day, so that would make it Sunday?

Ex member of the SaS
1 minute ago, XB52 said:

The BBC comments😂😂😂😂. Have a look at any Scottish story on the BBC that allows comments and it is over 90% anti SG/SNP. Doesn't matter what the story is, just a bunch of loony unionists spouting garbage, mostly from outside of Scotland. 

Having said that, it does look like we have been too restrictive this time but there is no way NS will, or should, apologise for erring on the side of caution 

I don't think anyone is suggesting she apologise as such, more that she admits she got it wrong and say the restrictions will be lifted.

Something along the lines of I admit we may have been slightly over cautious and we will be lifting restrictions around X or Y.

9 minutes ago, Footballfirst said:

We would currently be in the middle of football's scheduled winter break without covid, so there would be no premiership football anyway.  No doubt the same folk would be moaning about there being a break, regardless.

I know this is a football forum but rugby was impacted too.. for similarly flawed and poorly communicated logic, which felt political and not science based - 500 no rationale and same for all size of stadium and then a cup final in Glasgow for 50k. 
Cinema trips are allowed and the volume of these are up so is getting on a bus to go to the cinema.. how can this direct substitute for outdoor sport be safer.

Quite rightly, sports fans should feel badly treated here. Do you not agree. 

1 minute ago, Nucky Thompson said:

Can't see it myself going by her previous. Was it not 3 weeks from Boxing day, so that would make it Sunday?

The Scottish Government has always been conservative/cautious in approach. Why would this time be any different ?

When announcements where made I added 2-3 weeks on for when I expect things to get back to normal. I still think that will be the case but instead of prolonging things now it will be tapered from this weekend onwards. 

I think there will be a couple of exceptions though - I think football crowds will go up to 10k with Feb as the restoration of full crowds (to appease the SRU/Rugby mob), I also expect that there will be some limit on standing in bars (which will be almost impossible to implement). 

Adam_the_legend
7 minutes ago, XB52 said:

Where should we look for comments that are representative? Twitter comments basically exactly the same but that’s obviously just yoony loons too. 

4 minutes ago, jambomjm74 said:

I know this is a football forum but rugby was impacted too.. for similarly flawed and poorly communicated logic, which felt political and not science based - 500 no rationale and same for all size of stadium and then a cup final in Glasgow for 50k. 
Cinema trips are allowed and the volume of these are up so is getting on a bus to go to the cinema.. how can this direct substitute for outdoor sport be safer.

The Cup Final was before the restrictions came in. Not after.

10 minutes ago, Nucky Thompson said:

Where have you been James? not seen you on this thread for a while

I took a  break. I was then unwell. Ill explain in due course . Thanks for asking. Hope you are well 

9 minutes ago, Lord BJ said:

Playing with his new washing machine

Yes i has a great spin on it. So been sitting on it a lot. . Actually had to cancel the delivery due to unforeseen circumstances 

5 minutes ago, Ex member of the SaS said:

I don't think anyone is suggesting she apologise as such, more that she admits she got it wrong and say the restrictions will be lifted.

Something along the lines of I admit we may have been slightly over cautious and we will be lifting restrictions around X or Y.

I doubt there will be an apology of any sort really. Its a real sin about businesses etc but they seem to be collateral damage sadly. I would be very surprised if  she doesn't lift football restrictions etc by next week. Hearts have 3 games on. But again I'm not too confident. 

6 minutes ago, Mysterion said:

The Scottish Government has always been conservative/cautious in approach. Why would this time be any different ?

When announcements where made I added 2-3 weeks on for when I expect things to get back to normal. I still think that will be the case but instead of prolonging things now it will be tapered from this weekend onwards. 

I think there will be a couple of exceptions though - I think football crowds will go up to 10k with Feb as the restoration of full crowds (to appease the SRU/Rugby mob), I also expect that there will be some limit on standing in bars (which will be almost impossible to implement). 

That sounds about right. As usual the SG will want to save face so will only allow a higher  attendance at football until the beginning of the then next review in early Feb. 

4 minutes ago, Ray Gin said:

The Cup Final was before the restrictions came in. Not after.

Yes it was, but if the restrictions were so needed, why leave such a large event and possibly the largest travelling support for any match to go ahead. 
logic and consistency in short supply 

Footballfirst
5 minutes ago, jambomjm74 said:

As I posted earlier today, the halfway house of very limited restrictions appears to have little impact on the spread of omicron, particularly when it was already out of control in terms of community transmission.

Is easy to say that the restrictions imposed from boxing day were pointless and those most affected will feel rightly aggrieved, but I do understand the desire to do something.

I think they should be lifted at the earliest opportunity, but the health messaging still needs to be there about excercising personal judgement in a sensible way.  I don't know anyone who wants to become infected, regardless of their risk profile for serious illness. 

Ex member of the SaS
6 minutes ago, The jj era said:

No

Why not? The guy is a serious scientist. Why should we only listen to the Government scientists?

3 minutes ago, Footballfirst said:

As I posted earlier today, the halfway house of very limited restrictions appears to have little impact on the spread of omicron, particularly when it was already out of control in terms of community transmission.

Is easy to say that the restrictions imposed from boxing day were pointless and those most affected will feel rightly aggrieved, but I do understand the desire to do something.

I think they should be lifted at the earliest opportunity, but the health messaging still needs to be there about excercising personal judgement in a sensible way.  I don't know anyone who wants to become infected, regardless of their risk profile for serious illness. 

I agree with just about all that you say other than the last point and that is a crucial one.

I think it is inevitable that we all will be infected, probably multiple times through our life’s; so I would rather I get it shortly after my booster, as my immunity would be at its highest… and getting it would naturally help with future immunity and illness. 
The restrictions are not about holding back the tide but the speed, getting this damn thing before immunity wains would be preferable.

I’m not a turkey voting for Xmas but a turkey recognising that Xmas exists …

1 minute ago, Ex member of the SaS said:

Why not? The guy is a serious scientist. Why should we only listen to the Government scientists?

was a serious scientist, not anymore since one of his more recent claims have been debunked

https://www.politifact.com/factchecks/2020/dec/02/blog-posting/former-pfizer-employee-wrong-coronavirus-pandemic-/

https://www.thejournal.ie/debunked-pfizer-employee-quotes-mike-yeadon-covid-19-vaccine-5311935-Dec2020/

Dennis Denuto
8 minutes ago, Footballfirst said:

The more I think about it the more I think it is unlikely all restrictions are lifted in one go and ended next Monday.  Every other time there has been a gradual lift, so I expect there still to be a cap on attendance at outdoor events.

15 minutes ago, Mysterion said:

Sorry to hear you were not doing well. Hope you are feeling better James and ready to get stuck back in to all us other Kickback arseholes. :thumbsup:

Cheers .  I am feeling better today but it looks like the virus finally caught up with me ! 

Ex member of the SaS
2 minutes ago, milky_26 said:

" have circulated online as part of attempts to discredit the company’s vaccine."

At no time does he attempt to discredit the vaccine. In the video he say he has a good relationship with Pfizer.

Brighton Jambo
4 minutes ago, Dennis Denuto said:

The more I think about it the more I think it is unlikely all restrictions are lifted in one go and ended next Monday.  Every other time there has been a gradual lift, so I expect there still to be a cap on attendance at outdoor events.

But all lifted to ensure a full house at Murrayfield to ensure the optics of Scotlands national team playing in England are avoided.  If I am wrong and the rugby doesn’t go ahead as normal I will eat my metaphorical hat.  

Heres a riddle.

I felt unwell on Boxing day. Had a sore throat and blocked nose.  I took a covid lft test. It came back negative.  For the next week after that I still had the same symptoms so took a test every 2nd day. All negative . Last one was on New years day.

I then started to feel fine.  However last Thursday I had the beginning of a sore throat again. It became more noticeable by the weekend so decided on Sunday to take a lft , not expecting anything from it.  I assumed it was a reoccurrence of the earlier .  It came back positive. I then called the cv line and got an appointment for  a PCR  test within an hour , which was pretty impressive actually and its local to me. 

After I came home I  did another lft  and it came back positive again.  I am awaiting result of the PCR test. Had a crap day yesterday as i had a cough too as well as the sore throat and blocked nose. Woke up today and its much better. Still feeling a bit fatigued though

So it looks like after 2 years of trying to duck and dive from the virus it finally got me.  Best time to get it I suppose after having 3 boosters. And before any smart bottom  says " Oh I bet your glad you got the vaccine "  I am.  But  I am also aware that to use the modellers and scientist language,  its " possible " and " might " have contributed to me not having major symptoms.  Who's knows really? 

Anyway I'm cock a hoop really as I am hoping I also have natural immunity too. I signed up for the chance to have my anti bodies tested so hopefully they pick me to take part in the research too.  Hopefully my symtoms completely disappear in the next few days To be honest its just felt like a cold but without the heavy dull headache. Its mainly been the throat and blocked nose so I am assuming that its been the omicron. Ill be majorly disappointed if the pcr test comes back negative :) 

Ex member of the SaS
5 minutes ago, JamesM48 said:

Heres a riddle.

I felt unwell on Boxing day. Had a sore throat and blocked nose.  I took a covid lft test. It came back negative.  For the next week after that I still had the same symptoms so took a test every 2nd day. All negative . Last one was on New years day.

I then started to feel fine.  However last Thursday I had the beginning of a sore throat again. It became more noticeable by the weekend so decided on Sunday to take a lft , not expecting anything from it.  I assumed it was a reoccurrence of the earlier .  It came back positive. I then called the cv line and got an appointment for  a PCR  test within an hour , which was pretty impressive actually and its local to me. 

After I came home I  did another lft  and it came back positive again.  I am awaiting result of the PCR test. Had a crap day yesterday as i had a cough too as well as the sore throat and blocked nose. Woke up today and its much better. Still feeling a bit fatigued though

So it looks like after 2 years of trying to duck and dive from the virus it finally got me.  Best time to get it I suppose after having 3 boosters. And before any smart bottom  says " Oh I bet your glad you got the vaccine "  I am.  But  I am also aware that to use the modellers and scientist language,  its " possible " and " might " have contributed to me not having major symptoms.  Who's knows really? 

Anyway I'm cock a hoop really as I am hoping I also have natural immunity too. I signed up for the chance to have my anti bodies tested so hopefully they pick me to take part in the research too.  Hopefully my symtoms completely disappear in the next few days To be honest its just felt like a cold but without the heavy dull headache. Its mainly been the throat and blocked nose so I am assuming that its been the omicron. Ill be majorly disappointed if the pcr test comes back negative :) 

It would appear you had a cold or flu the first time and Covid the second time. Glad you are now fine but it only adds to the list of those where it doesn't cause serious problems.

Dennis Denuto
10 minutes ago, Ex member of the SaS said:

" have circulated online as part of attempts to discredit the company’s vaccine."

At no time does he attempt to discredit the vaccine. In the video he say he has a good relationship with Pfizer.

He also says that asymptomatic transmission isn't possible, he sites a study that showed symptomatic transmission was 1 in 5/6 (15-20%) of family members, but asymptomatic was only 1% - so then it is possible just at a much lower rate, which has always been acknowledged. He is a fraud.

2 minutes ago, Dennis Denuto said:

He also says that asymptomatic transmission isn't possible, he sites a study that showed symptomatic transmission was 1 in 5/6 (15-20%) of family members, but asymptomatic was only 1% - so then it is possible just at a much lower rate, which has always been acknowledged. He is a fraud.

But the government that tells us its 1 in 3 isn't a fraud? Which is closer to the truth?

3 minutes ago, Dennis Denuto said:

Wasn't he explaining that away by saying it's in line with the false positivity rate? 

Not defending him, but that would make sense if you take his explanation at face value...which I don't think I do.

• davemclaren changed the title to Coronavirus Super Thread ( merged )