Coronavirus Super Thread ( merged )

CJGJ

Brighton Jambo
1 minute ago, theshed said:

How can he come out with such rubbish? 

The Scottish government is now just making it up as they go along rather than hold their hands say they were wrong to shut nightclubs and the football. 

Id have more respect for them if they just admitted their restrictions were a bit OTT rather than try to say they are working and was the correct thing to do 

Exactly, they would be far more credible if they said that they make no apologies for being cautious but the reality of Omicron means that these restrictions simply don’t work and so are being removed.  To be fair Nicola Sturgeon did sort of start to hint at that over the weekend.  

• Replies 107.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JudyJudyJudy

• Victorian

• redjambo

• The Real Maroonblood

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Brighton Jambo
2 minutes ago, The Mighty Thor said:

I'm looking forward to seeing government's data to back up that proposal. 

This surely wouldn't be the reason that Boris is moving in that direction?

https://www.standard.co.uk/news/uk/boris-johnson-under-pressure-tory-mps-covid-restrictions-omicron-b975751.html

Maybe they could look at the data from US seeing as that what they did.  Those backbenchers must have a long reach if they can influence the Democratic Party over there.  

The Mighty Thor
1 minute ago, Brighton Jambo said:

Maybe they could look at the data from US seeing as that what they did.  Those backbenchers must have a long reach if they can influence the Democratic Party over there.  

They may well do so but I think we need to see that kind of data, especially as it will determine the direction of public health policy.

We should be told. 

Just now, The Mighty Thor said:

They may well do so but I think we need to see that kind of data, especially as it will determine the direction of public health policy.

We should be told. 

I agree. If they get the go ahead they should share the data.

16 minutes ago, Taffin said:

Government considering cutting isolation to 5 days. Good news on the staff shortages front. Hopefully they can go ahead with it.

A few weeks back on Mrs JJ's ward, there was 3 nurses off isolating all at the same time, none of them had covid but because a family member had, they had to isolate for 10 days, such were the rules at that time, needless to say this put a huge strain on the rest of the ward, something which we are seeing up and down the country in just about every hospital.

Anyway, as it turned out none of the 3 went on to catch covid, meaning that all 3 could have returned to work earlier, than the 10 days at that time.

Brighton Jambo
4 minutes ago, The Mighty Thor said:

We should be told. 

I do agree we need to see the data.  

Dennis Denuto
3 minutes ago, Brighton Jambo said:

I do agree we need to see the data.  

I think we need to wait and see some of the data from the 7 day isolations before we jump too soon to 5 day.

4 minutes ago, Dennis Denuto said:

I think we need to wait and see some of the data from the 7 day isolations before we jump too soon to 5 day.

ally-sheedy-short-circuit.gif

Brighton Jambo
6 minutes ago, Dennis Denuto said:

England has been 7 days for ages and has a lower case rate than we do so I would suggest all that data is already there.  

Dennis Denuto
2 minutes ago, Brighton Jambo said:

England has been 7 days for ages and has a lower case rate than we do so I would suggest all that data is already there.  

Two and half weeks only.  There are risks attached to altering the isolation period, especially for health and care workers.

Brighton Jambo
2 minutes ago, Dennis Denuto said:

Two and half weeks only.  There are risks attached to altering the isolation period, especially for health and care workers.

I had in my head it was longer than that so yeah maybe need to wait a little while and see.  The fact that case rates have dropped in that time seems a good omen. 

MoncurMacdonaldMercer
52 minutes ago, Brighton Jambo said:

You really are a contrary fellow.  

here to go. Scottish government guidelines from April 2020 

https://www.gov.scot/news/public-urged-to-stay-at-home/

Key paragraph- 

People should only travel for essential reasons such as buying groceries, healthcare, caring responsibilities or essential work.

And he said people should find ways to stay mentally and physically active by walking, running or cycling outdoors once a day for up to an hour close to home or by exercising indoors.

But you knew all that, you were just being deliberately argumentative. 

if you’re lucky enough to have a garden you could spend 24-hours a-day outside if you wished - go for a stretch tend the plants get a sun tan etc 

even better if working from home too

no garden - well that would be a slightly less bearable situation

like was said early in the pandemic you had a bunch of folk sitting on their laptops in the conservatory/garden etc criticising folk couped-up like battery hens for breaking the rules :(

Adam_the_legend
32 minutes ago, The Mighty Thor said:

This surely wouldn't be the reason that Boris is moving in that direction?

https://www.standard.co.uk/news/uk/boris-johnson-under-pressure-tory-mps-covid-restrictions-omicron-b975751.html

https://www.cdc.gov/media/releases/2021/s1227-isolation-quarantine-guidance.html

mad toaries oot

Dennis Denuto
9 minutes ago, Brighton Jambo said:

I had in my head it was longer than that so yeah maybe need to wait a little while and see.  The fact that case rates have dropped in that time seems a good omen. 

Yeah and that is the most critical data probably for this, but remember it has been over the holiday period and testing has also been stretched to breaking point (my words). The other thing to remember of course is if England are just tipping over the peak then the isolation times might not become so critical either.

TBF it is all quite complicated, glad I don't make the decisions but just get to snipe from the sidelines.

Adam_the_legend
15 minutes ago, Dennis Denuto said:

There’s also risks of not having enough doctors or nurses to treat patients. Personally, I’d rather get treated by a covid positive doctor than not get treated at all.  

Dennis Denuto
4 minutes ago, Adam_the_legend said:

There’s also risks of not having enough doctors or nurses to treat patients. Personally, I’d rather get treated by a covid positive doctor than not get treated at all.  

Indeed, or get treated but by someone who is exhausted after working several long tiring shifts due to staff shortages, but Hospitals have loads of vulnerable people in them too. Even releasing people after five days into normal work environments might just boost the numbers up. It is a very tough balancing act, i don't know the answer......

Dennis Denuto
4 minutes ago, Ray Gin said:

Yeah let's just get covid positive doctors and nurses to treat vulnerable patients, what could possibly go wrong?

I am almost certain "you know the answer to that already" applies here........

Adam_the_legend
1 minute ago, Ray Gin said:

Yeah let's just get covid positive doctors and nurses to treat vulnerable patients, what could possibly go wrong?

Did doctors and nurses test themselves for flu every day? What preventative measures where in place in the NHS prior to covid to prevent the spread of respiratory diseases? A calculation was made that the benefits of having health care professionals available and working exceeded the risks of passing on a virus. Don’t see why this is any different in a post vax world. 

58 minutes ago, The Mighty Thor said:

Are you sure you have the necessary qualifications to interpret the data? 😜

Nucky Thompson
1 hour ago, Adam_the_legend said:

The dentist thinks the restrictions are working based on…well nothing apart from his own opinion as far as I can tell. Also interesting how the ACTUAL expert is relegated to the end of the article. 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-59936338?at_custom2=twitter&at_custom1=[post+type]&at_custom3=%40BBCScotlandNews&at_campaign=64&at_custom4=586F1F62-7206-11EC-AA64-380F3A982C1E&at_medium=custom7

He got his TV career and 5 minutes of fame back on track when Omicron came along. He won't want to let it go again so quickly 

3 minutes ago, Adam_the_legend said:

Did doctors and nurses test themselves for flu every day? What preventative measures where in place in the NHS prior to covid to prevent the spread of respiratory diseases? A calculation was made that the benefits of having health care professionals available and working exceeded the risks of passing on a virus. Don’t see why this is any different in a post vax world. 

Nope they didn’t. If they were that unwell they spent a a couple of days in bed and got back to work. If they were Ill but still able to work they did so. 

Brighton Jambo
31 minutes ago, MoncurMacdonaldMercer said:

if you’re lucky enough to have a garden you could spend 24-hours a-day outside if you wished - go for a stretch tend the plants get a sun tan etc 

even better if working from home too

no garden - well that would be a slightly less bearable situation

like was said early in the pandemic you had a bunch of folk sitting on their laptops in the conservatory/garden etc criticising folk couped-up like battery hens for breaking the rules :(

Absolutely.  I am fortunate enough to have a garden for the kids and myself to enjoy.  

I saw a poll the other day that said 20% of people want to see a return to a full lockdown.  I would wager all of them live in a nice sized house with easy access to fresh air.  Wishing a lockdown on families in flats with young kids is just the absolutely height of selfishness entitlement.

Given where we are with vaccines, treatments etc there should never be another lockdown in relation to Covid ever again.  

Absolutely.  I am fortunate enough to have a garden for the kids and myself to enjoy.  

I saw a poll the other day that said 20% of people want to see a return to a full lockdown.  I would wager all of them live in a nice sized house with easy access to fresh air.  Wishing a lockdown on families in flats with young kids is just the absolutely height of selfishness entitlement.

Given where we are with vaccines, treatments etc there should never be another lockdown in relation to Covid ever again.  

They are aware they can just self-impose this on themselves, yeh? 😂😂

The Mighty Thor
12 minutes ago, cheetah said:

Are you sure you have the necessary qualifications to interpret the data? 😜

I have the same degree in spurious data regurgitation that so many on here enjoy. 

9 minutes ago, Taffin said:

Exactly if people are that excited about being locked down. Then by all means stay in your house 😂

Dennis Denuto
9 minutes ago, Taffin said:

Be careful with his timeline, the other day could mean last January!! 🤣🤣

(I am joking!!)

However I couldn't find any such recent survey, there will always be people who think we should be locked down, just like there are people who think we didn't land on the moon etc etc

24 minutes ago, Adam_the_legend said:

Is the flu as virulent/contagious as Covid-19?

No, but it's a damn site more severe than omicron. You hide behind the settee, having been vaccinated twice, boosted and had the flu jab I  will get on with living.

31 minutes ago, Dennis Denuto said:

I am almost certain "you know the answer to that already" applies here........

Pretty much standard answerr when replying by the looks of the responses, generally speaking of course!

Adam_the_legend

Does it matter? 2018 was a really bad Flu year with tens of thousands of deaths, at least some of those would have been transmitted by doctors or other hcp’s. Post vax covid IFR is about the same as Flu, now with Omicron it’s likely lower than Flu so there’s no reason not to go back to the measures we used for flu and other viruses. Time to live with it. 

Brighton Jambo
18 minutes ago, Taffin said:

Haha! Yeah but that wouldn’t come with the nice furlough payments…

3 hours ago, Ex member of the SaS said:

You don't know me so keep such suggestions to yourself, thanks.

You don't know the people you've been quite obnoxious towards.  

Just now, Adam_the_legend said:

Does it matter? 2018 was a really bad Flu year with tens of thousands of deaths, at least some of those would have been transmitted by doctors or other hcp’s. Post vax covid IFR is about the same as Flu, now with Omicron it’s likely lower than Flu so there’s no reason not to go back to the measures we used for flu and other viruses. Time to live with it. 

Millions are still not in that vaccine boostered boat.

Time to live with it for you = Time to die with it for many vulnerable people.

Dennis Denuto
2 minutes ago, Ray Gin said:

I am sorry but the data on vaccinations and deaths doesn't match those statements, not for me anyway.

Ex member of the SaS
3 minutes ago, Victorian said:

You don't know the people you've been quite obnoxious towards.  

See that's where you are wrong. Only return what I get. If people continue to go round and round and not interested in what is being said then they get short shrift.

Plus what I say to others has nothing to do with you and you should keep those opinions to yourself until you know the person you are abusing.

2 minutes ago, Ray Gin said:

The vulnerable have been protected now for the best part of 2 years now. What about the young who’s best part of their years have been put on hold? 

The “vulnerable” will have been boostered up to the max. We can’t and shouldn’t protect them for ever! 

Dennis Denuto
3 minutes ago, Ex member of the SaS said:

See that's where you are wrong. Only return what I get. If people continue to go round and round and not interested in what is being said then they get short shrift.

Plus what I say to others has nothing to do with you and you should keep those opinions to yourself until you know the person you are abusing.

You posted a pretty crass and stupid comment about laughing at those still wearing face nappies, I am going to judge for that type of comment too, most people would.

I am sorry but the data on vaccinations and deaths doesn't match those statements, not for me anyway.

Of course they don't, we haven't been sending covid positive doctors and nurses into to treat cancer patients etc

Brighton Jambo
19 minutes ago, Dennis Denuto said:

Be careful with his timeline, the other day could mean last January!! 🤣🤣

(I am joking!!)

However I couldn't find any such recent survey, there will always be people who think we should be locked down, just like there are people who think we didn't land on the moon etc etc

It was on Twitter I saw it.  Four options: 

1. full lockdown (18%)

2: Scottish level restrictions (34%)

3. Keep current level of reactions (12%) 

4. Remove all restrictions (36%) 

it was for English based people only hence the make up of questions.  

6 minutes ago, Ex member of the SaS said:

Abusing..  :)

Adam_the_legend
10 minutes ago, Ray Gin said:

All those in the vulnerable groups in the UK have been boosted/offered the booster. 

Dennis Denuto

1. full lockdown (18%)

I am going to get a bit pedantic here, but I feel it is important - that to me says that 18% think there needs to be a full lockdown, not that they want a full lockdown - they are very different reasonings IMO.

3, 4, 1 then 2 would be my order of not preference, but of what I think actually work for what they try to achieve.

Ex member of the SaS

You posted a pretty crass and stupid comment about laughing at those still wearing face nappies, I am going to judge for that type of comment too, most people would.

The post was tongue in cheek directed to certain posters on here that will continue to want restrictions long after the rest of us have gone back to living a normal life. Anyone who still wears a face nappy after restrictions need to have a word with themselves.

7 minutes ago, Brighton Jambo said:

1. full lockdown (18%)

So the majority of people in England want Scottish level restrictions or higher? Interesting. 

Footballfirst

27 minutes ago, Adam_the_legend said:

You are fond of repeating the spike in flu deaths in 2018.

Yes, 2018 was a bad year for flu, but let's put it in some perspective with Covid deaths in Scotland.

788488605_fludeaths.JPG.9776b049bb5ccfbf874dba1d9db4b476.JPG

Flu in 2018, 361 deaths or 0.6% of all deaths. Covid in 2020, 6048 deaths or 9.6% of all deaths.

Edited by Footballfirst

2 minutes ago, Dennis Denuto said:

I am going to get a bit pedantic here, but I feel it is important - that to me says that 18% think there needs to be a full lockdown, not that they want a full lockdown - they are very different reasonings IMO.

3, 4, 1 then 2 would be my order of not preference, but of what I think actually work for what they try to achieve.

Surely if you think something is required/needs to be done, you therefore want it to be done?

Unless of course you don't have free will, but I'm assuming those answering the question did.

Ex member of the SaS
4 minutes ago, Dennis Denuto said:

The problem with any poll is you get the answer you want by only asking certain people. For example if I want a poll to suggest Independence just ask anyone who exits SNP offices, like wise with Covid questions just ask anyone with a face nappy who is wearing one outside and you will get a result that restrictions are necessary.

• davemclaren changed the title to Coronavirus Super Thread ( merged )