Coronavirus Super Thread ( merged )

CJGJ

Dennis Reynolds
23 minutes ago, Footballfirst said:

You may recall me tracking the case numbers for children since schools reopened for the youngest ones on 22nd February.  The latest stats show that the number of cases is continuing to rise as more kids return to school.

Week Ending    
Age Group 21-Feb 28-Feb 07-Mar 14-Mar 21-Mar 28-Mar Change
2-4 94 94 107 148 162 131 39%
5-11 226 227 281 384 423 487 115%
12-15 152 114 118 127 131 174 14%
16-17 79 95 67 67 97 110 39%
18-19 177 114 114 134 147 139

-21%

It's worth noting that the above age groups represented 12.8% of all cases in Scotland for the week ending 21st February. That proportion has risen to 27.6% in the latest week.  In some ways that is encouraging, as case numbers have to be falling faster in the older age groups for the overall numbers to be falling, as they have done for the last three weeks. 

Thanks for that. Quite interesting actually and ties in quite well with the other stats.

• Replies 107.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JudyJudyJudy

• Victorian

• redjambo

• The Real Maroonblood

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

48 minutes ago, scott herbertson said:

Thanks RJ - all looking good in terms of the continuing fall in cases, deaths  etc

Indeed it is, Scott. Much of the stats surrounding the virus seems to be about "stubborn plateaux" where we just can't seem to progress on one of the stats for quite a while. The cases figure was one of these, possibly caused by the increase in cases generated by the move to re-open schools balanced by a general drop otherwise, as FF alludes to above. It's good to see the cases having now seemingly escaped that plateau and now heading downwards again. The mantle of "stubborn plateau of the moment" appears to have been taken over by the deaths figure for now.

Fxxx the SPFL
4 hours ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

My town is crawling with mountain bikers today, and they ain't locals either, that's for sure.

Innerleithen and Peebles will be mobbed but on bikes and out in the open probably more chance of breaking a leg than catching Covid. were the mountain biking world championships not held in Innerleithen a couple of years ago

Nucky Thompson

UK figures. 3402 new positive cases, down nearly 50% on last Friday

52 deaths, down from 70 last Friday.

3723 people are in hospital, 517 in ICU, down 23.5% in a week

Nucky Thompson

435,177 2nd doses given yesterday and 153,823 1st doses

Still quite a lot considering there's meant to be supply issues 

Jambo-Jimbo
1 hour ago, Byyy The Light said:

Is there any information about vaccine efficiency against this variant?

Still in it's infancy, although the Pfizer vaccine might give some protection, but it's all just if buts and maybe's at the moment.

https://www.itv.com/news/2021-03-09/pfizer-vaccine-may-be-effective-against-brazil-manaus-variant-study-suggests

Edited by Jambo-Jimbo

Jambo-Jimbo
1 hour ago, **** the SPFL said:

Innerleithen and Peebles will be mobbed but on bikes and out in the open probably more chance of breaking a leg than catching Covid. were the mountain biking world championships not held in Innerleithen a couple of years ago

I think both World & European championship legs were held here in recent years.

A new £19m mountain bike centre is to open in Innerleithen, on the site of my old work at Caerlee Mill.

https://www.bordertelegraph.com/news/19171528.borderlands-deal-gives-19m-innerleithen-bike-centre/

Edited by Jambo-Jimbo

5 hours ago, Victorian said:

The ****ing nick of Brazil.  :(  Now they're recycling old cemeteries to free up space to bury their latest dead.  What a state they're in.  I wonder how much worse it will get there before it inevitably takes a turn for the better.  I imagine Brazil is the number one subject for the scientists to keep an eye on.  

Who was the genius on here who claimed that "life was buzzing" over there a couple of months back? 

Graphical representations of the situation in Brazil, lifted from worldometers.info:

1463708234_Screenshotat2021-04-0218-50-51.png.d8b8cb874b5dfdbdbdff33fb073ff45a.png

424878076_Screenshotat2021-04-0218-51-39.png.ebe30de00c5a6e4c4e399c65c37d1c33.png

8 hours ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

I had just assumed that with it being an EU law EU countries would have applied it/be bound by it.

Thanks for clarifiying the correct situation.

It's one of those cases where the rules apply, but how they apply depends on the situation.  If the EMA authorises use of a vaccine or drug on an emergency basis liability transfers from the manufacturers to the member states, and they are bound by it, but because the vaccines currently in use were all authorised through normal channels they are covered by the EU-wide agreed liability arrangement - which the Commission says is that barring exceptional circumstances liability is with the producer.  Any EU country can step outside the rules and buy its own vaccines (if they can get a supply), but they have to negotiate their own prices (EU prices are the lowest in the developed world) and their own liability agreements (Hungary may have taken on liability for Sputnik V, but I don't know).  I don't know if the EU liability arrangements apply to vaccines made under the EU agreements and then transferred to the rest of the world.

35 minutes ago, Footballfirst said:

@redjambo  this may help with your labelling of the Local Authority areas.

good to see midlothian has a maroon flag

1 hour ago, Footballfirst said:

@redjambo  this may help with your labelling of the Local Authority areas.

:D

I love how the Dumfries & Galloway one is going for that Jamaican look.

Nucky Thompson

7 deaths reported from blood clots from AZ recipients in the UK. That's from 18.1m doses, so very rare

Footballfirst
11 minutes ago, Nucky Thompson said:

7 deaths reported from blood clots from AZ recipients in the UK. That's from 18.1m doses, so very rare

A few snippets from the BBC article about the seven deaths.

In total, 30 people out of 18 million vaccinated by 24 March had these clots.

It is still not clear if they are just a coincidence or a genuine side effect of the vaccine.

The data released by the MHRA on Friday showed 22 cases of cerebral venous sinus thrombosis (CVST) which is a type of blood clot in the brain.

These were accompanied by low levels of platelets, which help form blood clots, in the body. The MHRA also found other clotting problems alongside low platelet levels in eight people

There have been two cases of CVSTs after Pfizer in the UK, out of more than 10 million vaccinated, but these did not have the low platelet levels.

However, there remains uncertainty around how common these clots normally are. Estimates range from two cases per million people every year to nearly 16 in every million in normal times and the coronavirus has been linked to abnormal clotting, which may be making these clots more common.

All medicines, from vaccines to paracetamol, have the potential to cause severe side effects.

The seasonal flu jab has around a one-in-a-million chance of causing the nerve disorder Guillain-Barre syndrome.

Even if the vaccine was the cause, and this is still not proven, the numbers suggest around one death in every 2.5 million people vaccinated.

If 2.5 million 60-year-old people caught coronavirus then around 50,000 would die. If they were all 40-year-olds then around 2,500 would die.

9 hours ago, Lord BJ said:

Witty believes lockdowns are now unlikely return in future in UK. Stating we are going to live with it in much the same way we do with flu and accept that means deaths. Stating a few years ago 20-25k people died due to flu and it barely raised a eyebrow. They still seeem to have significant concerns over seasonality but there is definite change in emphasis coming. 

Also stating expects some form of measures in place for a couple of years until they have a suitable banks of vaccines for the variants.

U.K. Also reporting 30 blood clots in connection with Oxford AZ, 18M jabs dished outs.

Oh wow. Wonderfully revolutionary advice from Witty. 

The narrative has completely changed on this now. Only a fool can't see what is going on. Its so obvious. 

Footballfirst

One thing I don't understand about the reported "clots" on the brain, is the reference to low platelet counts.  My understanding is that platelets enable your blood to clot and stop bleeding.  If you have a low count, then you would expect more problems with bleeding rather than clotting.

The data suggests that the clots in the brain are associated with low platelet counts which appears to be a contradiction between cause and effect. 

Give them an inch and they'll take a mile

Once more any sign of 'FREEDOM' and the invasion of parks and gardens commences never mind beach areas

Just what is is with some people who once more put their needs above those of the population including their own friends and relatives.

They break all sorts of rules including drinking alcohol in the parks, leave mountains of rubbish behind, fail to keep safe distances and what's worse they somehow forget all that and live the rest of their life without recognition of the risks

All they have to do is exercise a bit more patience, actually follow the rules and whilst there are no guarantees we may see even more loosening of restrictions in May

Those who are following the rules watch all this and there are times when part of you wishes they felt the consequences of their actions directly but given that could cause real harm then best left as a thought

We are not out of this crisis but the more things are eased the more it seems any new line is just ignored.....just need time to confirm that steps taken are not causing major backward steps in the 'recovery'

Governor Tarkin
13 minutes ago, CJGJ said:

Give them an inch and they'll take a mile

Once more any sign of 'FREEDOM' and the invasion of parks and gardens commences never mind beach areas

Just what is is with some people who once more put their needs above those of the population including their own friends and relatives.

They break all sorts of rules including drinking alcohol in the parks, leave mountains of rubbish behind, fail to keep safe distances and what's worse they somehow forget all that and live the rest of their life without recognition of the risks

All they have to do is exercise a bit more patience, actually follow the rules and whilst there are no guarantees we may see even more loosening of restrictions in May

Those who are following the rules watch all this and there are times when part of you wishes they felt the consequences of their actions directly but given that could cause real harm then best left as a thought

We are not out of this crisis but the more things are eased the more it seems any new line is just ignored.....just need time to confirm that steps taken are not causing major backward steps in the 'recovery'

I'm really looking forward to May when I can drink alcohol in parks, leave mountains of rubbish, fail to keep social distances, then live my life forgetting all about it. :sweeet:

Edited by Governor Tarkin

Nucky Thompson
6 hours ago, Governor Tarkin said:

I'm really looking forward to May when I can drink alcohol in parks, leave mountains of rubbish, fail to keep social distances, then live my life forgetting all about it. :sweeet:

:robboyas:

Jambo-Jimbo
9 hours ago, Footballfirst said:

One thing I don't understand about the reported "clots" on the brain, is the reference to low platelet counts.  My understanding is that platelets enable your blood to clot and stop bleeding.  If you have a low count, then you would expect more problems with bleeding rather than clotting.

The data suggests that the clots in the brain are associated with low platelet counts which appears to be a contradiction between cause and effect. 

I don't understand it either, because as you say it appears to be a contradiction.

More stats coming out now about Long Covid.
Wonder if any of the Great Barrington advocates wil reconsider their views and accept why we should have gone for an elimination strategy at the start.
That or say this is more Government/Scientific attempts to continue lockdown and keep us in our homes.

https://www.theguardian.com/society/2021/apr/03/nhs-feels-strain-tens-thousands-staff-long-covid

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-56601911

15 minutes ago, Costanza said:

More stats coming out now about Long Covid.
Wonder if any of the Great Barrington advocates wil reconsider their views and accept why we should have gone for an elimination strategy at the start.
That or say this is more Government/Scientific attempts to continue lockdown and keep us in our homes.

https://www.theguardian.com/society/2021/apr/03/nhs-feels-strain-tens-thousands-staff-long-covid

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-56601911

Long covid is just a hoax though, like landing on the moon and the earth being a spheroid. 

13 minutes ago, Ray Gin said:

Long covid is just a hoax though, like landing on the moon and the earth being a spheroid. 

Yeah, just like the Global Flat Earthers society,  there will be people who see conspiracy everywhere.

11 hours ago, Footballfirst said:

It is a bit strange and counter intuitive,  but there are conditions where antibodies are formed against some platelet proteins that trigger an out of control clotting reaction, this also results in a low platelet count. Not sure we know why or how this happens and is very rare, happens in cancer patients receiving certain treatments. Came across it years ago when i worked in cancer research but can't remember the exact conditions for this to occur etc.. 

Scottish numbers: 3 April 2021

Summary

• 397 new cases of COVID-19 reported [-17; down from 563 a week ago]
  • 21,560 new tests for COVID-19 that reported results – 2.1% of these were positive [-2,258; +0.1%]
  • 0 new reported death(s) of people who have tested positive [-4]
  • 2,535,889 people have received the first dose of the Covid vaccination and 434,941 have received their second dose [+20,141; +20,401]

Today's Easter-abbreviated stats:

Today Yesterday     1 Apr 31 Mar 30 Mar 29 Mar 28 Mar ... 1 Mar
Scotland (7-day per-100,000 cases)   54 57 -3   59 65 67 69 69 ... 78

7-day averages                          
Tests     21004 21570 -566   21722 22578 22228 21906 21664 ... 18830
Positivity rate %     2.3 2.3 0.0   2.4 2.5 2.6 2.7 2.8 ... 3.8
Deaths     4 5 -1   5 6 5 5 5 ... 26
All Vaccinations     45329 46806 -1477   49063 45566 46357 46941 47558   29659
1st Dose     25297 27559 -2262   29659 30494 31675 32489 34396   23727
2nd Dose     20032 19247 +785   19404 15072 14682 14452 13162   5932

The Real Maroonblood
43 minutes ago, redjambo said:

Today's Easter-abbreviated stats:

Today Yesterday     1 Apr 31 Mar 30 Mar 29 Mar 28 Mar ... 1 Mar
Scotland (7-day per-100,000 cases)   54 57 -3   59 65 67 69 69 ... 78

7-day averages                          
Tests     21004 21570 -566   21722 22578 22228 21906 21664 ... 18830
Positivity rate %     2.3 2.3 0.0   2.4 2.5 2.6 2.7 2.8 ... 3.8
Deaths     4 5 -1   5 6 5 5 5 ... 26
All Vaccinations     45329 46806 -1477   49063 45566 46357 46941 47558   29659
1st Dose     25297 27559 -2262   29659 30494 31675 32489 34396   23727
2nd Dose     20032 19247 +785   19404 15072 14682 14452 13162   5932

👍

Nucky Thompson

3423 positive tests in the UK.

10 deaths reported, the lowest for 7 months.

We're in the end game people :yas:

Brilliant continued progress so far.  Epidemic shrinking + vaccinated population expanding.  All that's left is to rattle on through to vaccinate the younger end of the adult population as quickly as possible as the various restrictions ease,  to mitigate the inevitable increased spread amongst those and beyond.

Next steps are to determine whether or not to vaccinate children and to transition vaccine production away from generation 1 towards generation 2 for later in the year.

1 hour ago, Victorian said:

Brilliant continued progress so far.  Epidemic shrinking + vaccinated population expanding.  All that's left is to rattle on through to vaccinate the younger end of the adult population as quickly as possible as the various restrictions ease,  to mitigate the inevitable increased spread amongst those and beyond.

Next steps are to determine whether or not to vaccinate children and to transition vaccine production away from generation 1 towards generation 2 for later in the year.

In my opinion the big "what next?" is to determine in what manner and how fast we open the country up to folk coming in from abroad again. Hopefully we'll ca' canny.

Edited by redjambo

28 minutes ago, redjambo said:

In my opinion the big "what next?" is to determine in what manner and how fast we open the country up to folk coming in from abroad again. Hopefully we'll ca' canny.

Hopefully at least the same regime as now until at least the time when the vaccine 2.0 programme is under way.  Or perhaps modelling can show that variants can be 'allowed' in without too much trouble if the other public health mitigations are effective.  Contact tracing and isolation,  along with the majority of infection chains broken by immunity may be enough to live with variants,  especially after variant updated vaccines are being developed.

Captain Sausage
On 31/03/2021 at 18:53, JamesM48 said:

Hope u manage to get to the Canaries. 

Cheers James. Bit of fun and games with immigration (thanks Brexit) but here we are. Cervezas in hand and restaurants open!

ps yes I know the photo is sideways. No I don’t know how to reformat it...

7D145E52-6B93-4D27-9D7E-20A07485F035.jpeg

Edited by Captain Sausage

20 hours ago, Footballfirst said:

My understanding is that platelets enable your blood to clot and stop bleeding.  If you have a low count, then you would expect more problems with bleeding rather than clotting.

After a mini stroke about 8 years ago I was put on Clopidogrel which reduces the number of platelets to prevent another stroke. It basically thins the blood and prevents blood clotting. If I cut myself I will bleed and it’s takes a bit of stopping. 
I find it hard to believe the vaccine is responsible from creating a blood clot. 

1 hour ago, Boy Daniel said:

After a mini stroke about 8 years ago I was put on Clopidogrel which reduces the number of platelets to prevent another stroke. It basically thins the blood and prevents blood clotting. If I cut myself I will bleed and it’s takes a bit of stopping. 
I find it hard to believe the vaccine is responsible from creating a blood clot. 

I thought clopidogrel was only meant to be taken for 6 months or so after a heart attack

Your doc,  of course, will know better

I think somehow people are seeking 100% safety when it is just not possible in a vaccine......and of course it does not 'cure' 100% of cases

8 minutes ago, CJGJ said:

I thought clopidogrel was only meant to be taken for 6 months or so after a heart attack

On it for life. I’ve spoken to the Dr about coming off it but he said you’ll never know what it’s prevented as it’s unseen so overall they don’t recommend coming off it. 

3 hours ago, Captain Sausage said:

Cheers James. Bit of fun and games with immigration (thanks Brexit) but here we are. Cervezas in hand and restaurants open!

ps yes I know the photo is sideways. No I don’t know how to reformat it...

7D145E52-6B93-4D27-9D7E-20A07485F035.jpeg

Very jealous! Have a great time 👍👍

22 minutes ago, Cade said:

Morrissey2.jpg?width=640&auto=webp&quali

Baroness Helena Morrissey is the Senior Non-Executive Director at the Foreign Office

I wonder what football matches she thinks she is watching with all those imaginary crowds and then to try and link Chinese videos just shows you the stupidity of those helping to run the UK

1 hour ago, Cade said:

Baroness Helena Morrissey is the Senior Non-Executive Director at the Foreign Office

It's been a while since the last "Oh FFS, Morrissey is trending on Twitter" so fair play to her for keeping this tradition going.

45 minutes ago, Costanza said:

It's been a while since the last "Oh FFS, Morrissey is trending on Twitter" so fair play to her for keeping this tradition going.

Caught twitter admin's attention anyway, the dumb muppet. 

dumb_british_eejit.JPG

1 hour ago, Gizmo said:

Caught twitter admin's attention anyway, the dumb muppet. 

Aye as soon as it hit the headlines her account went verified followers only and has since been banned.

These are the people at the very head of government FFS.

This silly mare has a life Peerage.

:vrface:

Edited by Cade

Not dropping dead in the street.

It's a brilliant piece of critical thinking.  It's not a pandemic as it doesn't resemble a pandemic as defined by some post-apocalyptic film.  

We would have noticed.

Would we,  aye?  Have ye not,  naw?

I wonder is her razor sharp attention has wandered towards Brazil and their mass graves and their inaccessible hospitals.  

9 hours ago, Cade said:

She'll not be wanting her vaccination then

Fxxx the SPFL
2 minutes ago, inspector said:

She'll not be wanting her vaccination then

probably had it done privately cow

Dusk_Till_Dawn
2 hours ago, Victorian said:

Not dropping dead in the street.

It's a brilliant piece of critical thinking.  It's not a pandemic as it doesn't resemble a pandemic as defined by some post-apocalyptic film.  

We would have noticed.

Would we,  aye?  Have ye not,  naw?

I wonder is her razor sharp attention has wandered towards Brazil and their mass graves and their inaccessible hospitals.  

Amazing isn’t it. People don’t see Ebola on their front doorstep so take the view that it’s not serious.

FWIW, I do think some of the restrictions have gone well over the top, like the closure of schools for so long.

The Real Maroonblood
3 minutes ago, Dusk_Till_Dawn said:

Amazing isn’t it. People don’t see Ebola on their front doorstep so take the view that it’s not serious.

FWIW, I do think some of the restrictions have gone well over the top, like the closure of schools for so long.

The pubs as well.

🍺

• davemclaren changed the title to Coronavirus Super Thread ( merged )
  • JKBMod 12 featured, locked, unlocked and unfeatured this topic