Coronavirus Super Thread ( merged )

CJGJ

The Real Maroonblood
2 minutes ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

The EMA to add these blood clots as a possible very rare side effect of the AZ/Oxford vaccine.

What effect this will have on public confidence, who knows.

People who are heavy smokers and drinkers will probably boycott A/Z just in case.

Seriously I hope it doesn’t affect public confidence.

• Replies 107.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JudyJudyJudy

• Victorian

• redjambo

• The Real Maroonblood

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

willie wallace
1 hour ago, redjambo said:

Could there also be a factor of supplies being held in reserve so that second jabs can be fulfilled on the promised dates?

Is the shortage not down to the supply problems from India that we warned about or is this something different altogether?

Jambo-Jimbo
17 minutes ago, The Real Maroonblood said:

People who are heavy smokers and drinkers will probably boycott A/Z just in case.

Seriously I hope it doesn’t affect public confidence.

Indeed, it's the last thing any of us wants or the country needs.

From my own perspective, this latest news hasn't changed my views at all, I've had my first dose of the AZ/Oxford vaccine and will happily take my second dose of the AZ/Oxford vaccine.

All that's changed is that I'm now aware that there might be a possible rare serious side effect, but I now know what to look out for, that's all that's changed for me, as far as I'm concerned.

Edited by Jambo-Jimbo

The Real Maroonblood
6 minutes ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

Indeed, it's the last thing any of us wants or the country needs.

From my own perspective, this latest news hasn't changed my views at all, I've had my first dose of the AZ/Oxford vaccine and will happily take my second dose of the AZ/Oxford vaccine.

All that's changed is that I'm now aware that there might be a possible rare serious side effect, but I now know what to look out for, that's all that's changed for me, as far as I'm concerned.

I’m exactly the same having had the A/Z jag.

Let’s put this in perspective. Below is a list of cautions regarding the contraceptive pill (Combined pill). Let’s not through the baby out with the bath water!

The pill may not be right for you if you:

• are pregnant
  • smoke and are 35 or older
  • stopped smoking less than a year ago and are 35 or older
  • are very overweight
  • take certain medicines

The pill may also not be right for you if you have (or have had):

• blood clots in a vein, for example in your leg or lungs
  • stroke or any other disease that narrows the arteries
  • anyone in your close family having a blood clot under the age of 45
  • a heart abnormality or heart disease, including high blood pressure
  • severe migraines, especially with aura (warning symptoms)
  • breast cancer
  • disease of the gallbladder or liver
  • diabetes with complications or diabetes for the past 20 years

Some disadvantages of the pill include:

• it can cause temporary side effects at first, such as headaches, nausea, breast tenderness and mood swings – if these do not go after a few months, it may help to change to a different pill
  • it can increase your blood pressure
  • it does not protect you against sexually transmitted infections
  • breakthrough bleeding and spotting is common in the first few months of using the pill
  • it has been linked to an increased risk of some serious health conditions, such as blood clots and breast cancer

Edited by Boy Daniel

The Real Maroonblood
10 minutes ago, Boy Daniel said:

I had the A/Z vaccine and patiently waiting on my 2nd dose. 

👍

10 minutes ago, Boy Daniel said:

Let’s put this in perspective. Below is a list of cautions regarding the contraceptive pill (Combined pill). Let’s not through the baby out with the bath water!

The pill may not be right for you if you:

• are pregnant
  • smoke and are 35 or older
  • stopped smoking less than a year ago and are 35 or older
  • are very overweight
  • take certain medicines

The pill may also not be right for you if you have (or have had):

• blood clots in a vein, for example in your leg or lungs
  • stroke or any other disease that narrows the arteries
  • anyone in your close family having a blood clot under the age of 45
  • a heart abnormality or heart disease, including high blood pressure
  • severe migraines, especially with aura (warning symptoms)
  • breast cancer
  • disease of the gallbladder or liver
  • diabetes with complications or diabetes for the past 20 years

Some disadvantages of the pill include:

• it can cause temporary side effects at first, such as headaches, nausea, breast tenderness and mood swings – if these do not go after a few months, it may help to change to a different pill
  • it can increase your blood pressure
  • it does not protect you against sexually transmitted infections
  • breakthrough bleeding and spotting is common in the first few months of using the pill
  • it has been linked to an increased risk of some serious health conditions, such as blood clots and breast cancer

The link between cocaine and thrombosis conditions is probably more apt for on here. :lol: 

Jambo-Jimbo
19 minutes ago, Taffin said:

Are blood clot deniers the new Covid deniers in a plot twist role reversal?

Where are you seeing this, I'm not seeing anybody saying that there are no blood clots.

6 minutes ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

Where are you seeing this, I'm not seeing anybody saying that there are no blood clots.

It’s just a mild thickening of the blood!

Just back from getting my jag at the Gyle.  Got AZ.  No issues whatsover, really well organised and everyone very friendly......was very very quiet though - think I saw about 10 people getting their jag around the time i was in.

Auldbenches
58 minutes ago, Boy Daniel said:

I had the A/Z vaccine and patiently waiting on my 2nd dose. 

Ditto!  A bit sore the day after but nothing since.  Feels good knowing my body has some sort of protection.

Hopefully only a few weeks for second jag.  

49 minutes ago, Lord BJ said:

That did cross my mind, as well.I can’t wait for the arguments of comparing Oxford AZ and the pill😂

The recent developments are unfortunate, albeit the need to change strategy is telling. The risk of the under 30’s dieing of COVID must be viewed as similar of less that dieing of blood clots for the policy to change. That probably says more about the risk of COVID to that group than anything else tbh.

Fortunately, we have other vaccines to turn to for that age group. 

I really don’t think there is too much harm in taking a pause for that group just to make sure its the best strategy. Boomers far too desperate to kill the unders 30’s due to fear of ‘variants’

To be fair, killing off some of the under 30s we have seen on the Meadows recently would probably be a bonus. 👍

49 minutes ago, Lord BJ said:

That did cross my mind, as well.I can’t wait for the arguments of comparing Oxford AZ and the pill😂

The recent developments are unfortunate, albeit the need to change strategy is telling. The risk of the under 30’s dieing of COVID must be viewed as similar of less that dieing of blood clots for the policy to change. That probably says more about the risk of COVID to that group than anything else tbh.

Fortunately, we have other vaccines to turn to for that age group. 

I really don’t think there is too much harm in taking a pause for that group just to make sure its the best strategy. Boomers far too desperate to kill the unders 30’s due to fear of ‘variants’

😂😂

I'm 32 and feel like I've been thrown to the wolves.

9 minutes ago, Auldbenches said:

Ditto!  A bit sore the day after but nothing since.  Feels good knowing my body has some sort of protection.

Hopefully only a few weeks for second jag.  

Had a sore arm today and a chill, the latter hard to distinguish from the temperature being absolutely baltic.

Jambo-Jimbo
8 minutes ago, Taffin said:

😂😂

I'm 32 and feel like I've been thrown to the wolves.

32, hell I thought you were just a youngster, didn't realise you were that old.   :laugh:

1 hour ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

Much in the same way that nobody on here labelled a Covid denier actually ever denied it's existence, just that they felt the risk was low enough for people to take more personal risk assessment.

I'm only at the ham though, just found it funny that some of the most risk averse now seem pro-risk 

4 minutes ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

32, hell I thought you were just a youngster, didn't realise you were that old.   :laugh:

Sadly not. 👴

Jambo-Jimbo
3 minutes ago, Taffin said:

Much in the same way that nobody on here labelled a Covid denier actually ever denied it's existence, just that they felt the risk was low enough for people to take more personal risk assessment.

I'm only at the ham though, just found it funny that some of the most risk averse now seem pro-risk 

Sadly not. 👴

👍

2 hours ago, Footballfirst said:

From my own tracking of vaccinations, the table below might help understanding of the timing and dosages required to meet the targets.

Column 1 & 2 are the cumulative number of 1st doses administered by each date (weekly intervals).

Column 3 is the total of 1st doses administered in the previous week ending on the date in column 1.

Column 4 is the 12 week target for the corresponding dates in column 1

Column 5 is the date when completing cumulative 2nd doses comparable to the 1st dose number, OR the number of 2nd doses that still need to be be administered to match the 1st dose numbers. 

645293504_12week.JPG.f4e4fdb246d26f72ef225a406c203099.JPG

Had my first 29th Jan and just had my 2nd today. No problem so far. I had pfizer though. The one for those who appreciate the better things in life 🤣

Fxxx the SPFL

what i'm struggling to get my head round is they say the blood clots are in the younger age group how can that be because the younger age group have not been vaccinated as yet apart from key workers/vulnerable etc etc. 

2 hours ago, Cade said:

The public are morons.

People will start refusing the AZ.

There is some truth to this,  albeit most people aren't morons.  I expect that many people of average intelligence will fail to properly evaluate the risks and the nano-percentages.  The publicity this has attracted will probably guide people,  rather than the details and facts.

16 minutes ago, **** the SPFL said:

what i'm struggling to get my head round is they say the blood clots are in the younger age group how can that be because the younger age group have not been vaccinated as yet apart from key workers/vulnerable etc etc. 

The answer was in the briefing. The younger cohort who have received the A/Z vaccine related to where they might work like nurses and care staff also more women work in these professions.

4 minutes ago, Lord BJ said:

What’s the chances of under 30’s dieing of COVID? The regulator has just advised that they receive an alternate vaccine, due to the risk profile. At the very least they must view it similar, hence their advice. Numerous countries have suspended use over concerns of blood clots in the variants. Thought we were following science 🤷🏻‍♂️ Its not anyone interests for this vaccine not to work.

There are clearly concerns, these need ,at the very least investigated, and listened to. I’m slightly surprised by some posters attempts to dismiss the concerns of the professionals, for the reasons @Taffinoutlined.

What’s the benefit of vaccinating this group? That’s a genuine question because we are not going for a heard immunity strategy, this vaccine its going to be a renewal type. So the variant arguments becomes a bit less valid. I’m genuinely interested as no one has really put a coherent argument together from the govts and their scientist, to the wannabe scientist on here. It just seems to be a thing we must all get vaccinated.

If we want to discuss risk profiles that really needs to be done in a wider context.

I can only find the numbers for under 44.  In E&W between March and June 2020, 101 people in that group (with no underlying health condition) died

JudyJudyJudy
53 minutes ago, Taffin said:

Sadly not. 👴

👍

JudyJudyJudy
43 minutes ago, FWJ said:

4 in a million?

Meanwhile 2 people a day die falling down stairs.

and 4 people died of covid  yesterday out of 5 and a half million in Scotland  so it almost evens out

3 minutes ago, JamesM48 said:

and 4 people died of covid  yesterday out of 5 and a half million in Scotland  so it almost evens out

They will have died with a positive test in the last 28 days, not necessarily of COVID 

3 hours ago, Footballfirst said:

From my own tracking of vaccinations, the table below might help understanding of the timing and dosages required to meet the targets.

Column 1 & 2 are the cumulative number of 1st doses administered by each date (weekly intervals).

Column 3 is the total of 1st doses administered in the previous week ending on the date in column 1.

Column 4 is the 12 week target for the corresponding dates in column 1

Column 5 is the date when completing cumulative 2nd doses comparable to the 1st dose number, OR the number of 2nd doses that still need to be be administered to match the 1st dose numbers. 

645293504_12week.JPG.f4e4fdb246d26f72ef225a406c203099.JPG

Ah yes, 12 weeks. I mistakenly said 10.

It looks like we're comfortably ahead of schedule at the moment if I'm reading your chart correctly.

JudyJudyJudy
2 minutes ago, Hesh said:

They will have died with a positive test in the last 28 days, not necessarily of COVID 

Yep my error . Maybe died of blood clots 

JudyJudyJudy
Just now, JamesM48 said:

Yep my error . Maybe died of blood clots 

or fell down the stairs too 

Nucky Thompson
18 minutes ago, Lord BJ said:

Its not about that, the data is limited but its the risk profiles they are comparing that leads to decisions getting made. If  Under 30’s have 1 in 250k chance of dieing of blood clot, is a lot more dangerous if the chances of dieing of COVID are one in a millions.

Those numbers of for demonstartion purposes not saying they are close to correct but enough scientific bods are getting concerned. The UK has changed its strategy, its in no ones interests for Oxford AZ to have issues with it.

The problem is we are dealing with so much limited data, its hard to drawl any meaningful conclusion. Therefore, as we seen with COVID, they will air on the side of caution.

We are in a fortunate position that we seem to have other vaccines to take its place. Witty has talked a lot about banks of vaccines which are for certain people and variants. 

I think it was an 0.8 benefit of preventing going to ICU, to a 1.1 risk of serious harms of having the vaccine in under 30's. That's the rate for every 100,000 with low exposure risk

Jambo-Jimbo
16 minutes ago, Lord BJ said:

The problem is we are dealing with so much limited data, its hard to drawl any meaningful conclusion. Therefore, as we seen with COVID, they will air on the side of caution.

With it being such a rare type of blood clot, that is the problem, the lack of research material, in this case people.

Is it just bad luck or do these people have something different about their chemical make-up or something else which makes some people more susceptical to a blood clot than other folks.

It could take years of research to fully understand the what & why.

5 minutes ago, JamesM48 said:

or fell down the stairs too 

Or had someone fall down the stairs on top of them 

Edited by Hesh

JudyJudyJudy
1 minute ago, Hesh said:

Or had someone fall down the stairs on top of them 

or maybe 3 people ?

Nucky Thompson
14 minutes ago, JamesM48 said:

You could say that the deaths from covid being so low are down to the vaccine working :biggrin2:

I think there's a handy bit of nuance in the new direction announced.  The change appears to associate the tiny risk to a younger age group and,  by implication,  appears to disassociate any risk (or further diminishes it) in relation to those over 30.  The announcement about employing an alternative vaccine also implies that the one the under 30s get will be even safer than safe,  thus encouraging high take up.

I think this may have been 'gamed' a bit.

Footballfirst

Covid deaths by age range from the PHS stats since the pandemic began

0-14 - 3

15-19 - 0

20-24 - 5

25-44 - 60

JudyJudyJudy
1 minute ago, Nucky Thompson said:

You could say that the deaths from covid being so low are down to the vaccine working :biggrin2:

Not discounting that at all. 

Nucky Thompson
1 minute ago, Victorian said:

I think this may have been 'gamed' a bit.

That had crossed my mind too

Governor Tarkin
5 hours ago, Nucky Thompson said:

What a load of fecking shite :rofl:

:conspiracy:

3 hours ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

Of course it's a load of shite, especially when the European Medicines Agency didn't use the word 'Oxford' either, the EMA called it the 'AstraZeneca' vaccine.

It's not like Cade to go for a tenuous 'UK media bad' angle tbf. 🤷‍♂️

JudyJudyJudy
1 minute ago, Lord BJ said:

Disappointed didn’t go for 

A8512779-E5F6-4A26-A46B-054FCC0ADABF.jpeg

Couldn't find that one.  that was a brilliant scene 

Jambo-Jimbo
2 minutes ago, Lord BJ said:

**** knows but they will not take unnecessary risk even in a COVID world. If anything I actually find it re-assuring. That said I’m in my 40’s and due to get me jab late next week, I think, can’t lie hoping I get the Modena. Wont stop me taking AZ if thats the one but if I lived in a world, where I get my preference, I would rather take one of the alternates. 

And that's the correct thing to do, in a Covid world or not, and it is re-assuring, because you know that the system put in place to monitor these things, works.

JudyJudyJudy
7 minutes ago, Lord BJ said:

**** knows but they will not take unnecessary risk even in a COVID world. If anything I actually find it re-assuring. That said I’m in my 40’s and due to get me jab late next week, I think, can’t lie hoping I get the Modena. Wont stop me taking AZ if thats the one but if I lived in a world, where I get my preference, I would rather take one of the alternates. 

I finally have an appointment next week too. To be honest Im not sure if ill go for it.  Not due to any blood clots risks  etc as they are minimal but the constant need for boosters etc with it every 6 months or so...aye right 

• davemclaren changed the title to Coronavirus Super Thread ( merged )
  • JKBMod 12 featured, locked, unlocked and unfeatured this topic