Coronavirus Super Thread ( merged )

CJGJ

Malinga the Swinga
34 minutes ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

Yes there is.

The Government pass liability from drug companies to themselves whenever a drug is granted emergency use.

I was reading about it last year and it's not a new thing as it's happened before from time to time, just that it's usually not in the full public glare, unlike covid-19 vaccines are. 

And it's not just the UK as the law is an EU law which the UK has adopted, so I'd think Germany, France, Spain, Italy etc etc will all be doing exactly the same as the UK has done in terms of liability.

https://fullfact.org/health/unlicensed-vaccine-manufacturers-are-immune-some-not-all-civil-liability/

Everybody who receives a covid-19 vaccine in the UK is covered under the 'Vaccine Damage Payments Scheme' (VDPS), if in the very unlikely event that they suffer serious illness from the vaccine.

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/government-to-add-covid-19-to-vaccine-damage-payments-scheme

Please stop bringing sanity and facts into thread. Simply not acceptable. 

• Replies 107.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JudyJudyJudy

• Victorian

• redjambo

• The Real Maroonblood

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

JudyJudyJudy
7 minutes ago, Malinga the Swinga said:

Watching Cats, the musical, is a murderous waste of around 2 hours of your life. Go and watch some leaves blow around in wind, it will be more entertaining and memorable. 

Like I said I would need to be under the influence of Some form of drugs ! It would increase the pleasure 100% ! Andrew Lloyd Webber and musicals should not be mentioned in the same sentence . He’s a very poor poor mans Stephen Sondheim 

Seymour M Hersh

Well at least we're not Canada (yet, but give Witty time) with Tredeau's CoVid interment camps. Who knew the king/queen of identity politics was, under the shiny expensive suit, just a fascist. 

Jambo-Jimbo
14 hours ago, Dusk_Till_Dawn said:

The EU are having an absolute mare with this. That von der Leyen bird needs sacked

Even the W.H.O. have now warned about the 'Unacceptably Slow' roll-out of vaccinations across mainland Europe.

https://www.euronews.com/2021/04/01/covid-vaccine-rollout-unbearably-slow-in-europe-as-cases-rise-warns-who

So what do some countries do?   Do they ramp up their vaccination rates?

Or do they shut the vaccination centres down over the long Easter week-end, like some states in Germany are doing.

https://www.dw.com/en/germanys-covid-vaccinations-hit-easter-snag/a-57064215

On Euronews this morning they said that Spain is to pause it's entire vaccination roll-out, over the Easter week-end.........why?........because it's a holiday week-end. 

JudyJudyJudy
1 hour ago, Seymour M Hersh said:

Well at least we're not Canada (yet, but give Witty time) with Tredeau's CoVid interment camps. Who knew the king/queen of identity politics was, under the shiny expensive suit, just a fascist. 

Its completely mad over there. A dad was charged and convicted because he refused to say his daughter wasnt his daughter...( trans issue). Its extreme wokeism...

3 hours ago, JamesM48 said:

You know it wouldn’t surprise me if that line of fear mongering re surfaced again 

Interestingly, I had never heard of any of said fear-mongering, or even considered it (because of course it's such an absurd idea to worry about animal-based Covid being a significant threat to human populations, let alone vaccinating animals, as it is such a rare event for animals to catch the virus) until this very morning on this very thread. What have you lot started? :)

Agree with you about Cats the musical though. :thumb:

Just now, Lord BJ said:

Seen it in London, to try and  ‘impress’ a young lady. It was ****ing awful, she commented she was loving it at the interval. At that moment, I realised she was dead to me.

:D

I had a similar experience once. I watched Il Postino at the cinema with a lass I was dating and I was pretty much crying buckets after the final emotional scene. She however appeared completely unmoved. I immediately thought "I don't think this is going to work out!".

JudyJudyJudy
1 minute ago, Lord BJ said:

Ticking a few stereotypes there my good man.

Seen it in London, to try and  ‘impress’ a young lady. It was ****ing awful, she commented she was loving it at the interval. At that moment, I realised she was dead to me.

It was not as bad as Starlight Express, though I didn’t fall asleep in either unlike MIss Saigon.  I vowed never go back to a musical at that point. 

The wife, daughter and her friends, couldn’t even stomach 10min of Cats.

Anyway, to keep it COVID related, you got any word on your jab yet?

LOL Oh i cant help it i love my musicals. Seen so many in London . " Guys and dolls" " 42 street" ( with a 17 years old Catherine Zeta Jones I wasnt with her she was in the show  !! her tap dancing was sensational). "South Pacific," "West Side Story " , " Gigi"  " Company" , and i could go on and on....I was also lucky to have a friend who was box office manager at the Playhouse so got loads of comps to shows . Your wife and daughter have good taste.  

NO word re the jab yet. 

JudyJudyJudy
2 minutes ago, redjambo said:

:D

I had a similar experience once. I watched Il Postino at the cinema with a lass I was dating and I was pretty much crying buckets after the final emotional scene. She however appeared completely unmoved. I immediately thought "I don't think this is going to work out!".

oh no dont get me started on weepies.........i always cry at the end of " Cinema Paradisio"...since we are in Italian territory...

1 minute ago, JamesM48 said:

oh no dont get me started on weepies.........i always cry at the end of " Cinema Paradisio"...since we are in Italian territory...

It's rather odd, but I've seen a fair few films in my time but I haven't actually seen Cinema Paradiso yet, despite loads of people saying it's an excellent film. It's almost as if I know that it has the potential to be so good that I don't want to spoil it by not watching it with the right person at the right time. Silly, I know. Perhaps I'm also worried that it won't live up to expectations. On the other hand, one of the first dates that I go on after Covid fecks off to the degree that we can start living quasi-normally again should perhaps be to see that very film. :)

22 minutes ago, redjambo said:

Interestingly, I had never heard of any of said fear-mongering, or even considered it (because of course it's such an absurd idea to worry about animal-based Covid being a significant threat to human populations, let alone vaccinating animals, as it is such a rare event for animals to catch the virus) until this very morning on this very thread. What have you lot started? :)

Agree with you about Cats the musical though. :thumb:

Whilst I was very much joking about the animal stuff, all of the above and similar was at one stage being said about kids too.

'schools no risk' 

'kids don't spread it' 

'do kids even catch it?' 

Now we're saying they should be vaccinated. 

Satirical posts about cats in masks aside, it is just an extension of that logic. 

Do we regularly test cats and dogs? Maybe they're just largely asymptomatic like a lot of humans but are actually spreading it around.

Edited by Taffin

JudyJudyJudy
10 minutes ago, redjambo said:

It's rather odd, but I've seen a fair few films in my time but I haven't actually seen Cinema Paradiso yet, despite loads of people saying it's an excellent film. It's almost as if I know that it has the potential to be so good that I don't want to spoil it by not watching it with the right person at the right time. Silly, I know. Perhaps I'm also worried that it won't live up to expectations. On the other hand, one of the first dates that I go on after Covid fecks off to the degree that we can start living quasi-normally again should perhaps be to see that very film. :)

It’s well worth watching and it has great Italian scenery and locations . 

JudyJudyJudy
5 minutes ago, Lord BJ said:

I get emotional at a Toy Story, can’t remember which one as its too painful to think about it:sob:

Never seen it ! 

10 minutes ago, Taffin said:

Whilst I was very much joking about the animal stuff, all of the above was at one stage being said about kids too.

'schools not risk' 

'kids don't spread it' 

'do kids even catch it' 

Satirical posts about cats in masks aside, it is just an extension of that logic. 

Do we regularly test cats and dogs? Maybe their just largely asymptomatic like a lot of humans but are actually spreading it around.

But it's an absurd extension, Taffin, imo.

Sorry, it's just for England but here's a view of the diagnosed cases of Covid so far in that country. The cases in young people are less prevalent (although the non-diagnosis of asymptomatic cases might contribute greatly to that) but the potential of the virus to transmit within that population, new variants to expand within that population and, perhaps more importantly, the virus to mutate into more dangerous forms within that population is significant. Compare that to the very small number of cases we've had reported of animals having Covid and, again more importantly, proven animal-human transmission. We're talking apples and pears here.

Research needs to be done to determine the actual extent of the threat from the virus circulating within our younger folk if they are not being vaccinated, but to compare that population with animals is disingenuous.

1554758876_Screenshotat2021-04-0113-51-28.png.aeec930ef4bdca1410133382e301bebf.png

Edited by redjambo

JudyJudyJudy
9 minutes ago, Taffin said:

Whilst I was very much joking about the animal stuff, all of the above and similar was at one stage being said about kids too.

'schools no risk' 

'kids don't spread it' 

'do kids even catch it?' 

Do we regularly test cats and dogs? Maybe they're just largely asymptomatic like a lot of humans but are actually spreading it around.

No I can see your point as we can catch some diseases from cats and dogs ! “ trainspotting “ comes to mind 

Fxxx the SPFL
9 minutes ago, Lord BJ said:

I get emotional at a Toy Story, can’t remember which one as its too painful to think about it:sob:

happy feet for me 😭

Scottish numbers: 1 April 2021

Summary

• 400 new cases of COVID-19 reported [-142; down from 701 a week ago]
  • 25,956 new tests for COVID-19 that reported results – 1.8% of these were positive [-2,188; -0.3%]
  • 8 new reported death(s) of people who have tested positive [+2]
  • 21 people were in intensive care yesterday with recently confirmed COVID-19 [=]
  • 215 people were in hospital yesterday with recently confirmed COVID-19 [-22]
  • 2,493,327 people have received the first dose of the Covid vaccination and 399,062 have received their second dose [+30,258; +44,306]

Redjambo note: Massive day for vaccinations yesterday!

JudyJudyJudy
4 minutes ago, Lord BJ said:

You’ve never seen any of the Toy Stories :berra:

Buzz Lightyear is one of the best movie characters ever. They are genuinely very enjoyable films, would recommend watching even as adult. You might need tissues though

Nope.........

JudyJudyJudy
1 minute ago, redjambo said:

Summary

• 25,956 new tests for COVID-19 that reported results – 1.8% of these were positive [-2,188; -0.3%]
  • 21 people were in intensive care yesterday with recently confirmed COVID-19 [=]
  • 2,493,327 people have received the first dose of the Covid vaccination and 399,062 have received their second dose [+30,258; +44,306]

More positive numbers again today. Single figures in deaths too.  Be great to see that at zero every day soon. 

14 minutes ago, redjambo said:

But it's an absurd extension, Taffin, imo.

Sorry, it's just for England but here's a view of the diagnosed cases of Covid so far in that country. The cases in young people are less prevalent (although the non-diagnosis of asymptomatic cases might contribute greatly to that) but the potential of the virus to transmit within that population, new variants to expand within that population and, perhaps more importantly, the virus to mutate into more dangerous forms within that population is significant. Compare that to the very small number of cases we've had reported of animals having Covid and, again more importantly, proven animal-human transmission. We're talking apples and pears here.

Research needs to be done to determine the actual extent of the threat from the virus circulating within our younger folk if they are not being vaccinated, but to compare that population with animals is disingenuous.

asymptomatic 1554758876_Screenshotat2021-04-0113-51-28.png.aeec930ef4bdca1410133382e301bebf.png

We know that now though, and we got there via mass testing. Cats and dogs can't self select for testing so unless their owner notices something is visibly wrong with them and takes them to the vet we'd be none the wiser. Unless we mass tested cats and dogs we'll never find out what scale it is.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-52470838

Nearly this time last year we have the chief of the Swiss ministry of infectious diseases saying that not only do kids not transmit the virus, they can't even catch it.

Seems we're not saying that anymore based on your chart? The experts current stance on animals couldn't be wrong though...or could they?

And yes, I'm bored today 😂😂

Edited by Taffin

Fxxx the SPFL

Summary

cheers Red all going in the right direction with all data get the boozers open quicker please i need toilets on my daily walks pubs were my only salvation oh and a drink

1 minute ago, Taffin said:

We know that now though, and we got there via mass testing. Cats and dogs can't self select for testing so unless their owner notices something is visibly wrong with them and takes them to the vet we'd be none the wiser. Unless we mass tested cats and dogs we'll never find out what scale it is.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-52470838

Nearly this time last year we have the chief of the Swiss ministry of infectious diseases saying that not only do kids not transmit the virus, they can't even catch it.

Seems we're not saying that anymore?

Evidence has since clearly shown that the Swiss Ministry of Infectious Diseases was talking out of their chocolate end. You can't seriously want to compare something that was stupidly said at the start of the pandemic, that has been demonstrably shown to be shite since, and say "Seems we're not saying that any more?" It wasn't "we", it was "they", and they were incredibly wrong.

32 minutes ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

Even the W.H.O. have now warned about the 'Unacceptably Slow' roll-out of vaccinations across mainland Europe.

https://www.euronews.com/2021/04/01/covid-vaccine-rollout-unbearably-slow-in-europe-as-cases-rise-warns-who

Or do they shut the vaccination centres down over the long Easter week-end, like some states in Germany are doing.

On Euronews this morning they said that Spain is to pause it's entire vaccination roll-out, over the Easter week-end.........why?........because it's a holiday week-end. 

The whole approach, which the UK, backed by the vaccine companies and the regulators is to get the vaccine into arms. Safety etc is still paramount. Just all done quickly. 

Anything that disrupts or doubts the vaccines costs lives. 

32 minutes ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

The whole approach, which the UK, backed by the vaccine companies and the regulators is to get the vaccine into arms. Safety etc is still paramount. Just all done quickly. 

Anything that disrupts or doubts the vaccines costs lives. 

8 minutes ago, redjambo said:

Evidence has since clearly shown that the Swiss Ministry of Infectious Diseases was talking out of their chocolate end. You can't seriously want to compare something that was stupidly said at the start of the pandemic, that has been demonstrably shown to be shite since, and say "Seems we're not saying that any more?" It wasn't "we", it was "they", and they were incredibly wrong.

I know he was wrong, I don't disagree. I'm suggesting that if they did all of the same research and testing to arrive at where they have got to now for humans on domestic pets it's possible that actually they do catch it and spread quite considerably. I'm not aware if they've done that or not but we've gone from 'kids pose no threat' to they must be vaccinated... our understanding changes quickly.

He's just one example (albeit a very convinced one at the time). The narrative was very much that kids don't spread the virus.

It's also possible they don't. I'm not arguing one way or the other. I was just having a laugh this morning on something that for me echoes our increasing drive to find more and more demographics to vaccinate...why not extend it to animals. Don't take it too seriously though, I'm not 👍👍

Edited by Taffin

JudyJudyJudy

I got a letter today. Thought it was April fool initially. Apparently im entitled to the £500  bonus from the SG due to my work.  Thanks Nicola. ( itll be probably clawed back in income tax though) 

The latest 7-day stats, with the Lothian council areas welcomed back into the main table. Significant drop in the national 7-day case rate, other indicators heading in the right direction. Noticeable switch from first to second vaccinations.

Pre- 7-day per-100,000 cases                
Council Area Tier Lockdown Today Yesterday     30 Mar 29 Mar 28 Mar 27 Mar 26 Mar ... 1 Mar
Scotland     59 65 -6   67 69 69 71 70 ... 78
Clackmannanshire 4 3 233 206 +27   175 138 111 97 74 ... 126
West Lothian 4 3 129 N/A N/A   N/A N/A N/A N/A N/A ... 128
North Lanarkshire 4 3 117 133 -16   134 141 136 141 134 ... 122
Renfrewshire 4 3 103 104 -1   102 100 98 92 88 ... 121
Falkirk 4 2 90 94 -4   96 93 90 91 93 ... 162
Glasgow City 4 3 81 84 -3   91 94 100 105 105 ... 113
East Ayrshire 4 3 72 64 +8   54 57 50 40 34 ... 88
North Ayrshire 4 3 71 83 -12   78 79 80 82 85 ... 74
West Dunbartonshire 4 3 66 71 -5   73 87 83 93 82 ... 128
Dundee City 4 3 64 78 -14   80 77 78 94 99 ... 70
South Lanarkshire 4 3 62 69 -7   71 71 72 74 74 ... 96
Stirling 4 3 58 56 +2   53 54 58 54 51 ... 155
Midlothian 4 3 57 N/A N/A   N/A N/A N/A N/A N/A ... 106
East Dunbartonshire 4 3 56 69 -13   75 79 73 72 64 ... 77
Moray 4 1 56 65 -9   75 87 83 85 72 ... 38
Embra 4 3 50 N/A N/A   N/A N/A N/A N/A N/A ... 67
East Renfrewshire 4 3 45 67 -22   76 81 88 89 95 ... 75
Aberdeen City 4 3 44 47 -3   46 46 44 46 45 ... 29
Angus 4 2 42 43 -1   40 40 40 36 31 ... 46
Fife 4 3 42 46 -4   48 50 50 51 54 ... 58
East Lothian 4 3 37 N/A N/A   N/A N/A N/A N/A N/A ... 95
Perth & Kinross 4 3 36 43 -7   51 48 49 52 61 ... 60
Aberdeenshire 4 3 28 30 -2   29 31 33 34 35 ... 18
Inverclyde 4 2 21 23 -2   21 31 31 36 37 ... 55
South Ayrshire 4 3 19 25 -6   26 28 34 37 44 ... 49
Scottish Borders 4 1 11 12 -1   11 11 9 8 5 ... 15
Shetland Islands 3 1 9 13 -4   9 31 31 26 39 ... 0
Argyll & Bute 4/3 2 7 7 0   6 2 2 1 2 ... 17
Highland 4/3 1 7 11 -4   11 11 12 14 16 ... 30
Dumfries & Galloway 4 1 5 8 -3   13 19 19 23 21 ... 32
Na h-Eileanan Siar 3 1 0 0 0   0 0 11 11 11 ... 34
Orkney Islands 3 1 0 0 0   0 0 0 4 4 ... 0

7-day averages                          
Tests     21722 22578 -856   22228 21906 21664 22147 21351 ... 18830
Positivity rate %     2.4 2.5 -0.1   2.6 2.7 2.8 2.8 2.8 ... 3.8
Hospital (non-ICU)     235 247 -12   257 270 281 292 303 ... 852
ICU     23 25 -2   26 27 28 30 30 ... 83
Deaths     5 6 -1   5 5 5 5 5 ... 26
All Vaccinations     49063 45566 +3497   46357 46941 47558 51567 47822   29659
1st Dose     29659 30494 -835   31675 32489 34396 39040 36625   23727
2nd Dose     19404 15072 +4332   14682 14452 13162 12527 11197   5932

The Real Maroonblood
Just now, redjambo said:

The latest 7-day stats, with the Lothian council areas welcomed back into the main table. Significant drop in the national 7-day case rate, other indicators heading in the right direction. Noticeable switch from first to second vaccinations.

Council Area Tier Lockdown Today Yesterday     30 Mar 29 Mar 28 Mar 27 Mar 26 Mar ... 1 Mar

7-day averages                          

👍

7 minutes ago, Taffin said:

Don't take it too seriously though, I'm not 👍👍

:D :thumb:

JudyJudyJudy
55 minutes ago, Lord BJ said:

Ticking a few stereotypes there my good man.

It was not as bad as Starlight Express, though I didn’t fall asleep in either unlike MIss Saigon.  I vowed never go back to a musical at that point. 

The wife, daughter and her friends, couldn’t even stomach 10min of Cats.

Anyway, to keep it COVID related, you got any word on your jab yet?

Btw the way how are you? You seemed away with the goalie yesterday due to various aches and pains and self medicating. I was hoping you weren't going to do a Judy Garland / Elvis departure were both those legends died on the lavvy pan. 

scott herbertson
4 minutes ago, redjambo said:

7-day averages                          

Excellent statistics and thanks Red

At this rate Clackmannanshire will have more cases than the rest of Scotland put together soon

Footballfirst

Just on a personal note, Edinburgh hasn't shared (as yet) in the resumed fall in cases numbers across the country. which is evident with the 7 day/100k rate for whole of Scotland dropping below 60 for the first time since 28th September.

Indeed, my local neighbourhood of Colinton and Kingsknowe now has the highest rate in the city at 300.  I suspect that the spike may be related to a particular school, but I haven't heard anything.

3 minutes ago, scott herbertson said:

Excellent statistics and thanks Red

At this rate Clackmannanshire will have more cases than the rest of Scotland put together soon

It's a weird one, isn't it? Of course, there is a small population there which has an effect on the per-capita rate and means that a smaller number of cases will result in a higher per-capita figure than most other council areas, but the number of cases reported there today, 22, was 5% of the total cases reported despite the county having less than 1% of the national population.

34 minutes ago, **** the SPFL said:

cheers Red all going in the right direction with all data get the boozers open quicker please i need toilets on my daily walks pubs were my only salvation oh and a drink

;)

41VgcBPkv1L._AC_SX425_.jpg

JudyJudyJudy
2 minutes ago, redjambo said:

;)

41VgcBPkv1L._AC_SX425_.jpg

I just wonder how you manage to get a pic like this?  Your google history must be very interesting..... :) 

I just wonder how you manage to get a pic like this?  Your google history must be very interesting..... :) 

:D A quick search for "funnel catheter" in this case. I had to wear a proper catheter for a while after an operation so it sprung to mind immediately. The only thing about long walks is that if the bag filled up, I had to find a tree or some grass, roll up my trouser leg, open the valve on the bag and release the contents. Ah, those were the days.

JudyJudyJudy

:D A quick search for "funnel catheter" in this case. I had to wear a proper catheter for a while after an operation so it sprung to mind immediately. The only thing about long walks is that if the bag filled up, I had to find a tree or some grass, roll up my trouser leg, open the valve on the bag and release the contents. Ah, those were the days.

oh.......i better ....

oh.......i better ....

:D At least I didn't have to have a shite in a field...

Just now, Lord BJ said:

More likely Hendrix or Joplin end of days strategy tbh.

Been struggling with trapped nerve and some shoulder damage. I think it would be fair to say my life, has existed in physical pain for most this year. Hence the self medicating tendency at the moment. 

However, we are improving 👍

Good to hear that last bit, Lord BJ. Stick in there. Recovery from nerve damage unfortunately takes time. :thumb:

Moderna supplies in Scotland from next week.  Only to be used in the big vaccine centres in the cities due to the cold chain storage.  I'm at EICC in 2 weeks so I'll probably get that one.  

The Real Maroonblood
Just now, Victorian said:

Moderna supplies in Scotland from next week.  Only to be used in the big vaccine centres in the cities due to the cold chain storage.  I'm at EICC in 2 weeks so I'll probably get that one.  

Is this your first jag?

The Real Maroonblood

Yep.

My first one was at the EICC and it was A/Z.

I suppose they use what's available. 

3 minutes ago, The Real Maroonblood said:

My first one was at the EICC and it was A/Z.

I suppose they use what's available. 

Indeed.  But I'm thinking that may change now that the Moderna one's here are will only be used in the big city mass centres.  The AZ may be redeployed away from hubs to spokes.  

John Findlay
55 minutes ago, Footballfirst said:

Just on a personal note, Edinburgh hasn't shared (as yet) in the resumed fall in cases numbers across the country. which is evident with the 7 day/100k rate for whole of Scotland dropping below 60 for the first time since 28th September.

Indeed, my local neighbourhood of Colinton and Kingsknowe now has the highest rate in the city at 300.  I suspect that the spike may be related to a particular school, but I haven't heard anything.

State or private?

Indeed.  But I'm thinking that may change now that the Moderna one's here are will only be used in the big city mass centres.  The AZ may be redeployed away from hubs to spokes.  

the issue with that might be second vaccines and people being booked in for their second jab at those centres thus the AZ might need to be there. unless they will now end up having multiple vaccines to cover this?

The Real Maroonblood
3 minutes ago, Victorian said:

That's certainly a possibility. 

Footballfirst
5 minutes ago, John Findlay said:

State or private?

I don't know.  None of my usual sources, with connections to schools or community councils, seem to know either.

• davemclaren changed the title to Coronavirus Super Thread ( merged )
  • JKBMod 12 featured, locked, unlocked and unfeatured this topic