Coronavirus Super Thread ( merged )

CJGJ

Governor Tarkin
2 minutes ago, DETTY29 said:

What was Lord Botham's contribution?

He was out on the balcony of the Lords bar smoking a blunt with the Aussie waitress.

• Replies 107.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JudyJudyJudy

• Victorian

• redjambo

• The Real Maroonblood

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

1 hour ago, Adam_the_legend said:

The initial reports of 70% was widely reported but then there was a second wave of reports about the split doses. AstraZeneca actually cocked up, there was never supposed to be a half dose group. They announced the results by combining the 2 figures but got found out pretty quickly. Pretty big and glaring error for such an important project. 

https://www.newscientist.com/article/2261092-do-oxford-astrazeneca-covid-19-vaccine-results-stand-up-to-scrutiny/

Yes - my understanding is that the widely reported 70% figure is actually quite misleading because it's essentially based on a large sample size with around 60 or so percent efficacy and a significantly smaller sample (i.e. those who were accidentally given the "wrong" dose) with around 90% efficacy. So it seems likely that the efficacy is either 62% or 90% - but not 70%. The issue is whether the 90% figure would be reproduced using the "wrong" dose for a much bigger sample size. I also understand that of those in the 90% group none were aged over 55.

4 hours ago, graygo said:

I agree, to me it wouldn't matter if we all had the virus if the hospitalisations and deaths were reasonably low. I suppose it's what constitutes a low number.

Yes, I agree. Hopefully,  by vaccinating the vulnerable,  the disease will become inconsequential to the vast majority and will just be one of those viruses that circulate and which most are not susceptible to or just suffer mild symptoms.  Much like flu. The argument for social distancing,  lockdowns etc was to "protect the NHS", "save lives" and so on. The vaccine will take care of that and so life should certainly return to normal within a few months. Unfortunately though, to some scientists and politicians,  Covid has been their World Cup Final and they're not going to relinquish the power and population measures that they have been accustomed to controlling.  One Aussie guy from the WHO was on the BBC website, dribbling about how it might take up to 10 years to get normality back. These guys are equally extreme and entrenched as the anti-vaxx brigade.

Shanks said no

My daughter, NHS nurse, currently on maternity leave has been offered the vaccine next week. She is saying she will leave it a couple of months to see how things pan out. 

Will be interesting to see what the initial take up will be, just hope they are organised for no shows and don't waste the vaccines  out of the freezer.

14 minutes ago, Brian Dundas said:

I know we have come at this from what might’ve appeared opposite sides, but I truly believe this will be done and dusted by Easter and we will all be hugging random strangers at next years cup final. The extremes of both sides should be ignored. 

Yes, I completely agree Brian. Hopefully that Cup Final is a realistic goal - no pun intended- both football and Covid-wise.

MoncurMacdonaldMercer
48 minutes ago, The Frenchman Returns said:

My daughter, NHS nurse, currently on maternity leave has been offered the vaccine next week. She is saying she will leave it a couple of months to see how things pan out. 

Will be interesting to see what the initial take up will be, just hope they are organised for no shows and don't waste the vaccines  out of the freezer.

interesting - did your daughter give a reason for that course of action that you’re happy to share on here?

CavySlaveJambo
16 minutes ago, jonesy said:

Fingers crossed the first part of your post is correct.

The second part shows why folk really ought to be pushing back against the lockdowns and some of the restrictions put in place. 

Covid Laws expire in March 2022, but will need renewing again twice before then - 

16 minutes ago, jonesy said:

Fingers crossed the first part of your post is correct.

The second part shows why folk really ought to be pushing back against the lockdowns and some of the restrictions put in place. 

Yes, absolutely agree

Shanks said no

Just now, MoncurMacdonaldMercer said:

interesting - did your daughter give a reason for that course of action that you’re happy to share on here?

Basically having just given birth she isn't yet confident that sufficient wide spread tests have been undertaken and that she feels uncomfortable introducing it into her immune system which could still be suspect, she is feeding the baby. As she is off work she won't be in contact with vulnerable patients or may have considered it differently.

Did develop into an interesting debate as to what would happen if she did now catch it and passed it to us or older relatives.

CavySlaveJambo
1 minute ago, jonesy said:

With a Tory party determined to rip itself apart and a Labour opposition that would argue among themselves about the shade of shite on their shoes, who knows what the London parliament will throw up over the next year and a bit.

Meanwhile, in Edinburgh, I expect the SNP to win reasonably handsomely. 

Which of the two parliaments has the 2022 clause?

Scotland can only extend until 30 September 2021, and Westminister until 24 March 2022.

CavySlaveJambo
7 minutes ago, The Frenchman Returns said:

Basically having just given birth she isn't yet confident that sufficient wide spread tests have been undertaken and that she feels uncomfortable introducing it into her immune system which could still be suspect, she is feeding the baby. As she is off work she won't be in contact with vulnerable patients or may have considered it differently.

Did develop into an interesting debate as to what would happen if she did now catch it and passed it to us or older relatives.

That makes sense, none of the trial participants were pregnant or breastfeeding when they were vaccinated, so it is a complete unknown safety wise for baby. 

Governor Tarkin
7 hours ago, The Frenchman Returns said:

It's funny you should say that. During and after both of her pregnancies my Mrs has appeared impervious to all the ailments which have swept through the household and laid everybody else low. I don't know if there's any science behind it, but it actually appears like her immune system is cranked up a couple of notches.

Me and the kids all have the cold atm and she's bouncing about in rude health.

Shanks said no
1 hour ago, Governor Tarkin said:

It's funny you should say that. During and after both of her pregnancies my Mrs has appeared impervious to all the ailments which have swept through the household and laid everybody else low. I don't know if there's any science behind it, but it actually appears like her immune system is cranked up a couple of notches.

Me and the kids all have the cold atm and she's bouncing about in rude health.

google, which has as much professional medical knowledge as me, threw this up

Changes in hormone levels and immune system function can make you more vulnerable to infections and serious complications. Labor and delivery are especially susceptible times for both you and your baby.

Think it’s more a case of Do I want to be the first recently pregnant woman / recently born baby to test the jag. 

Governor Tarkin
1 minute ago, The Frenchman Returns said:

google, which has as much professional medical knowledge as me, threw this up

Changes in hormone levels and immune system function can make you more vulnerable to infections and serious complications. Labor and delivery are especially susceptible times for both you and your baby.

Think it’s more a case of Do I want to be the first recently pregnant woman / recently born baby to test the jag. 

Fair enough, but that's not been our experience.  Everybody's different I suppose, and maybe we've just been lucky. 👍

11 hours ago, Enzo Chiefo said:

Yes, I agree. Hopefully,  by vaccinating the vulnerable,  the disease will become inconsequential to the vast majority and will just be one of those viruses that circulate and which most are not susceptible to or just suffer mild symptoms.  Much like flu. The argument for social distancing,  lockdowns etc was to "protect the NHS", "save lives" and so on. The vaccine will take care of that and so life should certainly return to normal within a few months. Unfortunately though, to some scientists and politicians,  Covid has been their World Cup Final and they're not going to relinquish the power and population measures that they have been accustomed to controlling.  One Aussie guy from the WHO was on the BBC website, dribbling about how it might take up to 10 years to get normality back. These guys are equally extreme and entrenched as the anti-vaxx brigade.

That's the way I hope things pan out as well.

Vaccinate as many of the population as possible now, then by this time next year hopefully it might only be the old/vulnerable who require a Covid-19 vaccine, pretty much the same people who are recommended to have the flu jab.

11 hours ago, Enzo Chiefo said:

You're right for once ;).  The initial objective is to vaccinate 'the vulnerable'.  But the defined group is everyone over 50.  Prof Van-Tam confirmed that as the objective as it should eliminate 99% of serious disease resulting from infections.  The virus will still be around but shouldn't cause any significant harm.  The next stage will be to further reduce the susceptible number of people with more vaccinations in younger ages.  How effective,  sustainable and speedily that occurs depends on what they discover about the vaccines preventing onward infection.

So this year it is expected less people will catch the common cold or flu, but because there is less of them about to 'be shared' as such across the community, immunity is lower and anyone catching either will have their worst cases ever.

I need to turn the radio off.

Edited by DETTY29

16 minutes ago, DETTY29 said:

So this year it is expected less people will catch the common cold or flu, but because there is less of them about to 'be shared' as such across the community, immunity is lower and anyone catching either will have their worst cases ever.

I need to turn the radio off.

It seems that journalists take great pleasure in spinning non-stories to continue negative news as that must be easier work for them.

Confirmed that the Pfizer vaccine can be transported without the deep refrigeration for 12 hours and can be broken down from the 900 odd dosage packing into smaller amounts. Great news for old folk in care homes and remote areas 

966 new Covid cases in Scotland - and 41 further deaths reported on Friday

Scotland has recorded 41 deaths of coronavirus patients and 966 positive cases in the past 24 hours, John Swinney has confirmed.

The death toll under this measure – of people who first tested positive for the virus within the previous 28 days – is now 3,889.

Speaking at the Scottish Government’s coronavirus briefing, the Deputy First Minister said daily test positivity rate is 4.2%, down from 4.3% on Thursday.

A total of  98,686 people have tested positive in Scotland, up 97,720 from  the previous day.

There are 965 people in hospital confirmed to have the virus, a fall of 17 in 24 hours.

Of these patients, 65 are in intensive care, down by four.

14 hours ago, Enzo Chiefo said:

Jason Leitch just said will get vaccine to the over 50s by the summer.

At that point 99% of deaths can be avoided. 

Edited by Mikey1874

27 minutes ago, graygo said:

Confirmed that the Pfizer vaccine can be transported without the deep refrigeration for 12 hours and can be broken down from the 900 odd dosage packing into smaller amounts. Great news for old folk in care homes and remote areas 

I'm starting to doubt this now, I was sure it was what I heard the large lady BBC presenter say but not heard Swinney or Leitch say it.

13 minutes ago, graygo said:

I'm starting to doubt this now, I was sure it was what I heard the large lady BBC presenter say but not heard Swinney or Leitch say it.

Breaking down the vaccine packages into smaller numbers hasn't been approved yet between the company and the regulator.

Some people may have jumped the gun after being told it is possible..

2 minutes ago, Mikey1874 said:

Breaking down the vaccine packages into smaller numbers hasn't been approved yet between the company and the regulator.

Yes, like I said I'm sure I heard it said.

38 minutes ago, Mikey1874 said:

Just watched it back and the beeb presenter definitely stated that Jeanne Freeman confirmed that the vaccine could be broken down and could be transported without being frozen for 12 hours.

Scottish numbers: 4 December 2020

Summary

• 966 new cases of COVID-19 reported [+8]
  • 41 new reported death(s) of people who have tested positive [-10]
  • 65 people were in intensive care yesterday with recently confirmed COVID-19 [-4]
  • 965 people were in hospital yesterday with recently confirmed COVID-19 [-17]
  • 26,867 new tests for COVID-19 that reported results – 4.2% of these were positive [+634; -0.1%]

Per-board, per 100,000 case stats:

Scotland 18 [=].

Highland 30 [+25], Lanarkshire 25 [+2], Greater Glasgow 22 [=].

Ayrshire 19 [-5], Fife 17 [+1], Tayside 16 [-6], Forth Valley 15 [-1], Lothian 13 [-4], Grampian 12 [-1].

All others: less than 10.

12 minutes ago, Lord BJ said:

What’s the situation in Highlands a outbreak or just creeping up with looser restrictions. Never seen them top of the number charts before.

No idea. They've 98 cases registered in the stats today - that is a *huge* figure for them. I'm surprised that nothing was said at the press conference about it, if that was indeed the case.

I've just checked the SG's tableau - virtually all the cases (96) are from the Argyll & Bute council area. That is some outbreak there! For context, they only had 71 cases over the previous 7 days.

Edited by redjambo

Shanks said no
1 hour ago, Mikey1874 said:

Jason Leitch just said will get vaccine to the over 50s by the summer.

At that point 99% of deaths can be avoided. 

Really hope he is being pessimistic with the summer forecast. Not sure how much more I can take. 

I've said this before but the SG's failure to come down hard at the beginning of the rise on the main source of the virus, west central scotland, will have cost lives, and it is only now that we're probably seeing it appear in other parts of the country through delayed transmission, carried mainly by those in employment, is my guess.  Of course we'll never know coz of the incubation period, it's just how the virus works, there's no way of telling folks! :muggy:

5 minutes ago, The Frenchman Returns said:

Really hope he is being pessimistic with the summer forecast. Not sure how much more I can take. 

You will have to wait a bit longer for the SG to allow us to have a drink in the pub in Edinburgh. :(

1 minute ago, ArcticJambo said:

I've said this before but the SG's failure to come down hard at the beginning of the rise on the main source of the virus, west central scotland, will have cost lives, and it is only now that we're probably seeing it appear in other parts of the country through delayed transmission, carried mainly by those in employment, is my guess.  Of course we'll never know coz of the incubation period, it's just how the virus works, there's no way of telling folks! :muggy:

Its not just that its their failings with universities and schools, which seem to the be the super-spreader events that kicked the virus back off after August.

Their solution is to keep wrecking the economy and throw the elderly and vulnerable under a bus by not targeting the root causes because of their political agenda.

The Real Maroonblood
4 minutes ago, frankblack said:

You will have to wait a bit longer for the SG to allow us to have a drink in the pub in Edinburgh. :(

Boooooooo!

10 minutes ago, frankblack said:

Its not just that its their failings with universities and schools, which seem to the be the super-spreader events that kicked the virus back off after August.

Their solution is to keep wrecking the economy and throw the elderly and vulnerable under a bus by not targeting the root causes because of their political agenda.

I agree with you on the universities, that was foreseable, on the schools however, that's a right tricky one that obviously required balance, perhaps in hindsight we'll find out that blended lerning probably was the most appropriate method. 

Anyway, back to the +ive cases; even with a cursory knowledge it was obvious to see that the huge numbers, mainly in glasgw & lanarkshire (back then) were going to cause probalems for the neighbouring regions and ultimately further afield as the 1000+ cases continued day after day.  It really shouldn't have been a difficult decision really.  Prettyy muh everybody could see where the problem was then.  Todays figures show that Tier 4 was effective for that core area, for the most part but look elsewhere now.  Lets hope they're just wee isolated outbreaks and can be managed effectively.

Edited by ArcticJambo

Shanks said no
21 minutes ago, frankblack said:

I was up in Inverness on Wednesday and it was actually weird seeing pubs with their doors open and lights on. Unfortunately I was driving, as it was very tempting.

Today's 7-day council case stats. Tier changes incoming on Tuesday...

7-day per-100,000 cases              
Council Area Tier Today Yesterday   Start of T4’s       2 Dec 1 Dec 30 Nov 29 Nov 28 Nov
Clackmannanshire 3 208 200 +8 165 +43     192 155 140 153 130
Argyll and Bute 2 182 79 +103 31 +151     77 77 83 61 61
Renfrewshire 4 162 179 -17 260 -98     206 194 195 218 223
North Lanarkshire 4 159 159 0 235 -76     170 176 169 182 194
East Renfrewshire 4 156 164 -8 195 -39     169 155 149 155 172
Glasgow City 4 155 153 +2 235 -80     160 155 158 174 189
South Lanarkshire 4 146 159 -13 233 -87     172 174 179 202 198
North Ayrshire 3 137 131 +6 124 +13     140 128 127 132 131
East Ayrshire 4 114 118 -4 152 -38     118 115 120 137 132
West Lothian 4 114 130 -16 193 -79     132 127 128 131 139
Fife 3 103 103 0 116 -13     107 99 96 105 104
South Ayrshire 4 103 100 +3 153 -50     114 125 125 131 123
East Dunbartonshire 4 100 113 -13 161 -61     121 117 110 114 135
Perth and Kinross 3 100 102 -2 116 -16     97 93 95 103 90
Dundee City 3 96 98 -2 102 -6     92 92 97 104 109
Stirling 4 94 99 -5 210 -116     124 123 132 149 140
Aberdeenshire 2 91 92 -1 64 +27     87 93 94 85 90
West Dunbartonshire 4 89 85 +4 142 -53     94 89 85 107 106
Midlothian 3 83 88 -5 101 -18     86 65 71 84 82
Edinburgh City 3 67 63 +4 84 -17     68 69 74 74 82
Angus 3 66 66 0 88 -22     62 62 65 71 77
Aberdeen City 2 64 65 -1 51 +13     71 90 92 101 90
East Lothian 2 63 56 +7 48 +15     49 48 51 59 65
Falkirk 3 62 57 +5 85 -23     59 58 49 47 54
Inverclyde 3 55 64 -9 99 -44     90 87 96 96 107
Scottish Borders 2 35 34 +1 74 -39     33 33 29 33 40
Dumfries & Galloway 2 20 21 -1 34 -14     21 21 19 23 25
Highland 1 20 18 +2 19 +1     18 19 19 16 17
Na h-Eileanan Siar 1 15 22 -7 0 +15     22 22 11 11 11
Moray 1 11 14 -3 25 -14     11 9 8 8 8
Orkney Islands 1 4 4 0 4 0     9 9 4 4 4
Shetland Islands 1 4 4 0 13 -9     9 17 17 17 17
Scotland   101 101 0 135 -34     106 105 105 116 118

CavySlaveJambo
Just now, Brian Dundas said:

According to public health the virus is not being transmitted in any numbers in schools. They are community transmissions that are causing classes to have to isolate. One of the many things that they point to to back this up is that when the class is isolating after a positive test there are not then further positive tests of that group. 

They actually reckon that schools being open reduces community transmissions. 

Most cases do not actually transmit the virus.  It is definitely a superspreader/overdispersion spread. 

The Real Maroonblood
25 minutes ago, redjambo said:

Today's 7-day council case stats. Tier changes incoming on Tuesday...

7-day per-100,000 cases              
Council Area Tier Today Yesterday   Start of T4’s       2 Dec 1 Dec 30 Nov 29 Nov 28 Nov
Clackmannanshire 3 208 200 +8 165 +43     192 155 140 153 130
Argyll and Bute 2 182 79 +103 31 +151     77 77 83 61 61
Renfrewshire 4 162 179 -17 260 -98     206 194 195 218 223
North Lanarkshire 4 159 159 0 235 -76     170 176 169 182 194
East Renfrewshire 4 156 164 -8 195 -39     169 155 149 155 172
Glasgow City 4 155 153 +2 235 -80     160 155 158 174 189
South Lanarkshire 4 146 159 -13 233 -87     172 174 179 202 198
North Ayrshire 3 137 131 +6 124 +13     140 128 127 132 131
East Ayrshire 4 114 118 -4 152 -38     118 115 120 137 132
West Lothian 4 114 130 -16 193 -79     132 127 128 131 139
Fife 3 103 103 0 116 -13     107 99 96 105 104
South Ayrshire 4 103 100 +3 153 -50     114 125 125 131 123
East Dunbartonshire 4 100 113 -13 161 -61     121 117 110 114 135
Perth and Kinross 3 100 102 -2 116 -16     97 93 95 103 90
Dundee City 3 96 98 -2 102 -6     92 92 97 104 109
Stirling 4 94 99 -5 210 -116     124 123 132 149 140
Aberdeenshire 2 91 92 -1 64 +27     87 93 94 85 90
West Dunbartonshire 4 89 85 +4 142 -53     94 89 85 107 106
Midlothian 3 83 88 -5 101 -18     86 65 71 84 82
Edinburgh City 3 67 63 +4 84 -17     68 69 74 74 82
Angus 3 66 66 0 88 -22     62 62 65 71 77
Aberdeen City 2 64 65 -1 51 +13     71 90 92 101 90
East Lothian 2 63 56 +7 48 +15     49 48 51 59 65
Falkirk 3 62 57 +5 85 -23     59 58 49 47 54
Inverclyde 3 55 64 -9 99 -44     90 87 96 96 107
Scottish Borders 2 35 34 +1 74 -39     33 33 29 33 40
Dumfries & Galloway 2 20 21 -1 34 -14     21 21 19 23 25
Highland 1 20 18 +2 19 +1     18 19 19 16 17
Na h-Eileanan Siar 1 15 22 -7 0 +15     22 22 11 11 11
Moray 1 11 14 -3 25 -14     11 9 8 8 8
Orkney Islands 1 4 4 0 4 0     9 9 4 4 4
Shetland Islands 1 4 4 0 13 -9     9 17 17 17 17
Scotland   101 101 0 135 -34     106 105 105 116 118

👍

13 minutes ago, Lord BJ said:

Argyle and Bute have a huge increase. 

You would imagine they will discover what tier 4 is together with Clackmanshire. 

The areas that are due to come out of tier 4 will be interesting. It was time limited when it’s announced, however, as we have seen previously timescales have been very flexible. You would imagine some of the areas are likely to stay in tier 4.

If they drop West Lothian to tier 3, Edinburgh might have a shot at tier 2. Albeit I can’t see them allowing hospitality to open up in the lead up to Christmas. 

I think that the SG may be regretting their 3-week announcement for the Tier 4's. There has been good movement in all the Tier 4 council areas but I don't think they've taken enough heat out of the situation there - there's plenty time for the virus to get going again in the 2-week gap between the 11th and Christmas. We may hear a "just another week".

Aberdeenshire are a nap for Tier 3, Aberdeen slightly less so, but they may place them both in Tier 3 due to the commuter and commercial links between the two. Dumfries and Galloway is a nap for Tier 1, imo. Other than that, the rightful placing of both Clackmannanshire and Argyll & Bute in higher tiers, and the possible placing of West Dunbartonshire in Tier 3, I'm not sure that they will do too much. If Argyll & Bute is indeed related to Faslane, they may also decide that it's in enough of a closed system to prevent it spreading to the community around about the base.

Anyway, there's a lot can happen between now and Tuesday, as Argyll & Bute has just found out!

Edited by redjambo

Ainsley Harriott
3 hours ago, graygo said:

That is good news. We will be back at Tynie before we know it

manaliveits105
31 minutes ago, Brian Dundas said:

I think they’ll drop all the 4s to 3s but not sure Edinburgh will get 2. 

two fingers from Mrs Murrell maybe 

Taking this vaccine will have side effects especially the moderna, and Pfizer ones, it will make you feel shit for a couple of days, but overall it's a better experience than getting the virus naturally, the side effects aren't any to worry about nothing major. 

I will say this again the only way we will get back to normal, is if we get mass vaccination, that includes young kids to, for the time being we should make sure it's safe, and doesn't have any long term effects, everything seems to be okay this far, it will take 2 years to fully find out if it causes long term effects, which people that have been on the trial will be monitored over 2 years. 

As far as them saying you will have to have boosters etc, that's just speculation, if you check research into Sars which is very similar to covid 19 people that caught it in 2002-2003 have long term immunity from it, and still have antibodies from 17 years on and memory T cells which indicate that they have immunity from it. 

They are saying that they don't know if it stops transmission, I would wager it does. 

43 minutes ago, Brian Dundas said:

According to public health the virus is not being transmitted in any numbers in schools. They are community transmissions that are causing classes to have to isolate. One of the many things that they point to to back this up is that when the class is isolating after a positive test there are not then further positive tests of that group. 

They actually reckon that schools being open reduces community transmissions. 

They would say that - they can classify everything as community rather than sub-categorise clusters.

3 hours ago, graygo said:

Found this a bit strange. 

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/health/coronavirus-pfizer-vaccine-legal-indemnity-safety-ministers-b1765124.html

Edited by ri Alban

5 minutes ago, ri Alban said:

Certain I heard on one of the news channels that when a drug/vaccine is given emergency clearance all liability transfers from the company to government, seemingly it's happened several times in the past, so it's nothing new, so they said.

• davemclaren changed the title to Coronavirus Super Thread ( merged )
  • JKBMod 12 featured, locked, unlocked and unfeatured this topic