Coronavirus Super Thread ( merged )

CJGJ

Malinga the Swinga

Still, given the shit show of last 8/9 months, this is a definite good news day. Let's get this vaccine rolled out and get back to some form of normality. 

Going out with no mask, what a day that will be. 

• Replies 107.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JudyJudyJudy

• Victorian

• redjambo

• The Real Maroonblood

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

3 hours ago, Lord BJ said:

Is the first success of Brexit?

“ the first “ you’re optimistic 😂

Ainsley Harriott
19 minutes ago, Shanks said:

Genuine question but what kind of timescale would you be happy with?  Another couple weeks? Couple months? A year?  

I like to think I have the average knowledge of vaccines as the next man (none) and the timescales don’t really mean anything to me.  

Just because some Karen on Facebook says this vaccine has been made ‘too quick’ doesn’t suddenly make me think yea that’s too fast.  

If it took another 6 months or something would that be alright?

I know Karen she works part time down my local Aldi and is an expert in healthcare, vaccines and pandemics. Remarkable woman 

25 minutes ago, Shanks said:

Genuine question but what kind of timescale would you be happy with?  Another couple weeks? Couple months? A year?  

I like to think I have the average knowledge of vaccines as the next man (none) and the timescales don’t really mean anything to me.  

Just because some Karen on Facebook says this vaccine has been made ‘too quick’ doesn’t suddenly make me think yea that’s too fast.  

If it took another 6 months or something would that be alright?

I would assume 3-6 months . I would hope that deaths dwindle to nil and things open up more and more  due to this . Maybe start pubs restaurants open till 10 pm etc then later . Gyms ,soft play etc opened up too . I think night clubs will be last to open . 

Just watched the press briefing about the release of the Pfizer vaccine and very impressed and comforted by the calibre of the Professors doing the briefing.

Is it the Pfizer vaccine thats 65% effective and has to be kept in minus 70degree temperatures?

What happened to the rest of the ones that get kept in a standard fridge and are 95% effective?

Why rush this one out?

Edited by Pans Jambo

39 minutes ago, Malinga the Swinga said:

Unfortunately, cancer is a money making machine for some. Scientists may like to cure it, but not convinced giant pharmaceuticals are like minded. 

I’m kind of glad I’m not the only one who has that thought .Sadly 1 in 2 of us will have to deal with it at some point , I know mine will be prostate ☹️😡

The Real Maroonblood
40 minutes ago, JamesM48 said:

Yes how can they replace face to face referalls with telephone calls ? Some things need physically seen or examined by GPs 

I was fortunate that I got proper consultation but many others are not so lucky. 

Pasquale for King
1 hour ago, 3fingersreid said:

Only 10 months to find a vaccine , on one hand delighted on the other ONLY 10 months to find a vaccine .

Wish they could do the same for cancer 

I thought that too and then saw someone say it’s all about the money given to those that are trying to find a cure. 
Great news about the vaccine but it does seem a bit rushed. 
They’re going to go by age it seems, 400k starting next week. 

Dennis Reynolds
1 minute ago, Pasquale for King said:

I thought that too and then saw someone say it’s all about the money given to those that are trying to find a cure. 
Great news about the vaccine but it does seem a bit rushed. 
They’re going to go by age it seems, 400k starting next week. 

Yeah your not far off. Money has quite literally not been an issue with this one. 

Generally with these trials, companies can spend anywhere from 12-24 months just recruiting people to take part. Not even starting testing. Then months bidding it out, waiting for authorisation, waiting for manufacturing etc etc. These companies compressed all these stages on top of each other and gambling on the trials passing. Everything that was needed was done with no corners cut, it was just done much quicker. Rolling reviews, manufacturing of the vaccine as phase three was starting and a massive response from the general public to take part in the trials have made this happen much quicker.

Someone also mentioned cancer and whilst I agree to a point, a virus and cancer are on completely different sides of the scale for medication. Treatment of cancer has come such a long way recently as well.

29 minutes ago, Pans Jambo said:

Is it the Pfizer vaccine thats 65% effective and has to be kept in minus 70degree temperatures?

What happened to the rest of the ones that get kept in a standard fridge and are 95% effective?

Why rush this one out?

Why indeed. It is many times more expensive than the Astrazenica and we have a Tory Government, might that have something to do with it?

Could it be that if we wait a week or two then we will have more efficient, cost effective, UK produced solution?

Maybe it will be difficult to access Pflizer after the Brexit transition.

1 hour ago, Malinga the Swinga said:

I read that opposition Edinburgh councillors raised the tiering situation yesterday. No chance our council leaders will complain as their loyalties lie, not with Edinburgh residents, but with their party and its leaders. 

Don't you think it's a good thing that Edinburgh has just about the lowest incidence of infection and death of any major urban area in the UK? Does that not show where loyalties lie?

Pasquale for King
15 minutes ago, LMc said:

Yeah your not far off. Money has quite literally not been an issue with this one. 

Generally with these trials, companies can spend anywhere from 12-24 months just recruiting people to take part. Not even starting testing. Then months bidding it out, waiting for authorisation, waiting for manufacturing etc etc. These companies compressed all these stages on top of each other and gambling on the trials passing. Everything that was needed was done with no corners cut, it was just done much quicker. Rolling reviews, manufacturing of the vaccine as phase three was starting and a massive response from the general public to take part in the trials have made this happen much quicker.

Someone also mentioned cancer and whilst I agree to a point, a virus and cancer are on completely different sides of the scale for medication. Treatment of cancer has come such a long way recently as well.

Absolutely. 
It shows what can be done, let’s hope the progression in cancer treatment keeps going. 

Pasquale for King

I wish I could create memes, one of a German company putting their towel/vaccine down first. If I was a betting man I would’ve put a wedge on German efficiency being first. Credit to Charles Pfizer’s descendants too obviously. 

56 minutes ago, Brian Dundas said:

This is 95%. It is the first one approved because it was the first one sent to the regulator. Oxford one was about a week behind. 

The Modena one that was 90%+ was a day after the Pfizer one but any vaccines won't be ready for distribution till march/april

Might not be the great thing everyone thinks it is. The testing was done on a 100% health group who had extensive screening prior to trials. Not to mention the age group too. If your older or have pre-existing health conditions I cant see why you would be happy to have this vaccine on the say-so of Matt Hancock and Boris Johnson. 

It is far too short a duration of the study that doesn't allow for a realistic estimation of the late effects. Although Pfizer apparently submitted an application for emergency approval on 1st of December 2020. Hmmm, not for me thanks. Next...

5 minutes ago, Chong said:

Might not be the great thing everyone thinks it is. The testing was done on a 100% health group who had extensive screening prior to trials. Not to mention the age group too. If your older or have pre-existing health conditions I cant see why you would be happy to have this vaccine on the say-so of Matt Hancock and Boris Johnson. 

It is far too short a duration of the study that doesn't allow for a realistic estimation of the late effects. Although Pfizer apparently submitted an application for emergency approval on 1st of December 2020. Hmmm, not for me thanks. Next...

I didn't know that and now that i do (assuming you are correct) it seems likely there will only be marginal benefit to this vaccine which may well be more than offset the negative affects that all vaccines have. Not for me either.

11 hours ago, frankblack said:

The timescales quoted by Boris are basically to get everyone who agrees done by the end of spring.

That is very vague and could be up to May.  The economy cannot afford to continue with these restrictions in place until May.

So what. You've completely ignored what i said to post this ? 

https://news.sky.com/story/covid-19-is-pfizer-biontech-vaccine-safe-and-will-it-work-your-questions-answered-12130864

Some questions about the speed it’s taken to develop the vaccine answered (not fully) in this article. Feel a bit better myself after seeing some of the responses from Professors although two pharmacists I work with from the European Medicines Agency remain a tad skeptical. 

Maybe others can make more sense of it than I can or have seen something elsewhere but there still seems to be some doubts about how effective it will be with older folk as they haven’t finished the trial yet. 

Still, if this is to be a big step in getting back to normal and stopping more people and businesses suffering then superb news! 

** it should absolutely not let Johnson and Hancock off the hook for the sheer incompetence they’ve shown during this pandemic. 

Edited by King prawn

1 hour ago, Pans Jambo said:

Why rush this one out?

I've just seen a tweet from a GP (allegedly) - 

the Pfizer vaccine will be given to front line staff pronto.

the Oxford vaccine will be done from hospitals in the new year (don't bet on timescales) for the rest of us.

It will be interesting to hear what The Clown has to say at PMQ re the Pfizer vaccine as he's getting flak for not making the distinction/differences clear.

There are also big issues in rural areas (eg Wales) in rolling out the Pfizer vaccine due to the -70C temp req't although it may be that these people have to wait for the Oxford vaccine.  All adds to the confusion , as per, with The Clown. 

5 hours ago, Lord BJ said:

U.K. approved Pzifer vaccine for emergency use,

I just saw a tweet saying there will be enough for 400K people : ie the public will not be getting it. 

1 hour ago, Lord BJ said:

pfizer 95% effective, but needs to be kept in -70 fridge. 

Oxford is cheap, standard fridge but effectiveness somewhere between 60-90%. The upper end currently requiring more validation, which is ongoing at present. 

OK Cheers LBJ

Pasquale for King
26 minutes ago, Chong said:

Surely nobody trusts what BJ and Hancock say 😆?
Having just watched nearly two hours of chat from the people that matter, not the ones trying to take credit for it, I think it should be ok. Side effects are always the worry, especially for those with a pre-existing health issues. It’s a start though and will take time to get it administered to those that need it most, hopefully any problems can be easily ironed out as we go. Having heard and read a bit now this is obviously one reason why it takes a lot longer to trial vaccines etc in normal circumstances. 

Pasquale for King
15 minutes ago, NANOJAMBO said:

I've just seen a tweet from a GP (allegedly) - 

the Pfizer vaccine will be given to front line staff pronto.

the Oxford vaccine will be done from hospitals in the new year (don't bet on timescales) for the rest of us.

It will be interesting to hear what The Clown has to say at PMQ re the Pfizer vaccine as he's getting flak for not making the distinction/differences clear.

There are also big issues in rural areas (eg Wales) in rolling out the Pfizer vaccine due to the -70C temp req't although it may be that these people have to wait for the Oxford vaccine.  All adds to the confusion , as per, with The Clown. 

Love it. They’ve just said on the daily briefing that every area in Scotland that needs it will been given a freezer required to store the vaccine, there’s 23. Hopefully Wales will do it too. 

BDEA33A7-0B76-4C56-B56A-B7B4359C10FF.jpeg

2 minutes ago, Brian Dundas said:

You didn’t know it because it’s not true. 41% were aged 56-85. It was tested in older people. 

Read what he highlighted it was done on a 100% health group. Regardless of their age. True.

1 hour ago, Barack said:

Roll up, roll up:

Screenshot_20201202-110208_Twitter.jpg

I must be on the 10th bit. 45 and over. Everyone else's eyes will have popped out or not, so 10th is fine by me. Anyway Cider keeps the Covid away. Well it's quite similar to apples. :)

56 minutes ago, Chong said:

Pfizer applied for emergency use on the 20 November in the US, Australia, Canada, Europe, Japan & the UK, not the 1st December as you claim.

https://www.pfizer.com/news/press-release/press-release-detail/pfizer-and-biontech-submit-emergency-use-authorization

The trial was conducted on healthy individuals to determine the efficacy of the vaccine in preventing people catching covid, not to cure those already with covid, and it was 94% effective in preventing the individuals from catching covid, that's why you needed healthly individuals taking part in the trial.

8 minutes ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

Pfizer applied for emergency use on the 20 November in the US, Australia, Canada, Europe, Japan & the UK, not the 1st December as you claim.

https://www.pfizer.com/news/press-release/press-release-detail/pfizer-and-biontech-submit-emergency-use-authorization

The trial was conducted on healthy individuals to determine the efficacy of the vaccine in preventing people catching covid, not to cure those already with covid, and it was 94% effective in preventing the individuals from catching covid, that's why you needed healthly individuals taking part in the trial.

This is the issue for me and perhaps you can explain. 

As i understand it the vaccine does not prevent the onward transmission of the virus. I was also of the opinion that its main benefit was to mitigate against the effects of the virus and that it did not prevent people from catching it in the first place. 

I hope i'm wrong.

1 hour ago, NANOJAMBO said:

So what. You've completely ignored what i said to post this ? 

No I haven't, my point was relevant whether you like it or not.

I don't know how true this is, but...

Baker Street Herald #W3CU

@bakerstherald

·

1h

Every single journalist , commentator & politican has FAILED to understand the Pfizer situation NOT UNTIL SPRING says Chief Medical Officer Chris Witty AND, Switzerland will not certify the Pfizer vaccine as it has not been provided with all the data so UK is cutting corners

19 minutes ago, coconut doug said:

This is the issue for me and perhaps you can explain. 

As i understand it the vaccine does not prevent the onward transmission of the virus. I was also of the opinion that its main benefit was to mitigate against the effects of the virus and that it did not prevent people from catching it in the first place. 

I hope i'm wrong.

As far as I know from the limited knowledge I have on the way vaccines work, which is pretty much the same as everybody else.

Onward transmission, that's still to be determined I think, if a vaccinated person can still pass the virus on to another person, I'd guess only when enough of the population has been vaccinated would the results of that would be known fully.

As you are no doubts aware of, no vaccine in 100% effective and just because you've had a vaccine doesn't mean you can't still catch a virus, what it does do or should do is to lessen the effects of the illness, basically because your immune system has had a head start.

Malinga the Swinga
2 hours ago, coconut doug said:

Why indeed. It is many times more expensive than the Astrazenica and we have a Tory Government, might that have something to do with it?

Could it be that if we wait a week or two then we will have more efficient, cost effective, UK produced solution?

Maybe it will be difficult to access Pflizer after the Brexit transition.

Just once, why not put your politics aside and just be happy,or can't you resist the snide comment about Tory government. 

Don't you think it's a good thing that we have vaccine ready for use? 

Does that not show where loyalties lie. 

Malinga the Swinga
2 hours ago, coconut doug said:

Don't you think it's a good thing that Edinburgh has just about the lowest incidence of infection and death of any major urban area in the UK? Does that not show where loyalties lie?

Yet still not low enough to be tier 2. Does that not show where loyalties lie? 

Malinga the Swinga
1 hour ago, coconut doug said:

I didn't know that and now that i do (assuming you are correct) it seems likely there will only be marginal benefit to this vaccine which may well be more than offset the negative affects that all vaccines have. Not for me either.

So you don't trust UK government but a random posts on here and that's good enough for you. 

If NS comes out and recommends it, will you change your mind? 

6 minutes ago, Malinga the Swinga said:

Just once, why not put your politics aside and just be happy,or can't you resist the snide comment about Tory government. 

Don't you think it's a good thing that we have vaccine ready for use? 

Does that not show where loyalties lie. 

Pans' comment is a good one. Why are we rushing into the Pfizer deal? What does it do to help?

Malinga the Swinga
59 minutes ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

Nope, let's all panic and start worrying because a poster on here has uncovered mail pretty much accusing government of risking peoples lives. 

2 minutes ago, Malinga the Swinga said:

So you don't trust UK government but a random posts on here and that's good enough for you. 

If NS comes out and recommends it, will you change your mind? 

She already has. What are the benefits of this vaccine? 

Malinga the Swinga
3 minutes ago, coconut doug said:

Pans' comment is a good one. Why are we rushing into the Pfizer deal? What does it do to help?

Sorry, are you being serious Maybe we are rushing into it because it's safe and available. Maybe government doesn't want more people falling ill and dying.

What does it do to help? Again, is this a serious question. Well if it stops people catching Covid, that's a ****ing good start. 

Tell you what, you and Pan refuse vaccine and wait till SNP bring out their own tartan vaccine for Covid. Might be a while but if it makes you feel better, and leaves more vaccine for those who will take it, then that's good. 

Nucky Thompson
7 minutes ago, coconut doug said:

Why are we rushing into the Pfizer deal? What does it do to help?

Are you being serious?

It's the first one approved and we need to get out of this asap. Or maybe you enjoy being controlled by Nicola

14 minutes ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

As far as I know from the limited knowledge I have on the way vaccines work, which is pretty much the same as everybody else.

Onward transmission, that's still to be determined I think, if a vaccinated person can still pass the virus on to another person, I'd guess only when enough of the population has been vaccinated would the results of that would be known fully.

As you are no doubts aware of, no vaccine in 100% effective and just because you've had a vaccine doesn't mean you can't still catch a virus, what it does do or should do is to lessen the effects of the illness, basically because your immune system has had a head start.

As i understand it the Astrazenica vaccine is capable of preventing onward transmission because it stops you getting infected although not 100% obviously.

Malinga the Swinga
6 minutes ago, coconut doug said:

She already has. What are the benefits of this vaccine? 

Oh dunno, might be that it stops people catching Covid. 

In a covid pandemic, that might, just might, be a worthwhile step. 

Don't bother replying as debate is pointless. You and Pans hate UK government more than you want vaccine. Very strange attitude from very strange people. 

Can’t believe people turning their nose up at this vaccine 🤷‍♀️

Ok it might have been rushed through but what choice do we have? 
Let’s wait 5 years and stay lockdown till it’s ready? 

If it means my job will be more secure, I can get away abroad on holiday, can meet up in large crowds ect ect and you have to have had the vaccine to do this this then where do I go for it would be my next question

If people don’t want it and that means they can’t get away to another country or are restricted in doing things then let them bash on and stay safe stuck in the house 

Malinga the Swinga
7 minutes ago, Brian Dundas said:

The only issue I have is Hancock and Mogg trying to make Brexit political gain falsely out of this. 

It’s a good day. Let’s hope we can get it rolled out quickly 

Hancock volunteering to get vaccine live on TV in attempt to show its safe. Even though the temptation would be to stick it in his neck, suppose its a good thing if it helps persuade people to take it. Bet there will be some who say its a fake he gets. 

9 minutes ago, Brian Dundas said:

The only issue I have is Hancock and Mogg trying to make Brexit political gain falsely out of this. 

It’s a good day. Let’s hope we can get it rolled out quickly 

Itll be a strange but magnificent day when I stop seeing his face plastered all over the news.  

• davemclaren changed the title to Coronavirus Super Thread ( merged )
  • JKBMod 12 featured, locked, unlocked and unfeatured this topic