The January Transfer Window Super Thread

dazajmbo

Dusk_Till_Dawn
Just now, Ainsley Harriott said:

We are having an absolute mare of a window.

What is our pulling power? That’s the problem

• Replies 13.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Lord Beni of Gorgie

• GinRummy

• Hearts007

• Bongo 1874

4 minutes ago, Gene Parmesan said:

What would be the point in him playing elsewhere but still costing us? The point is we want to save the cost of paying him. Loaning him to Dundee but still paying his wages makes zero sense at all.

As far as I was aware it was a permanent deal not a loan.

Ainsley Harriott
Just now, Dusk_Till_Dawn said:

What is our pulling power? That’s the problem

Very true. Would have thought someone might be up for a short term gig though 

Gene Parmesan
16 minutes ago, Rogue Daddy said:

Looks like we've missed out on Jordan Green...

https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/football-transfer-news/transfer-news-live-celtic-rangers-21275368

...Daily Record seem to think he's going back to Newport County!

Great news. Boy looked total mince.

Dusk_Till_Dawn
1 minute ago, Ainsley Harriott said:

Very true. Would have thought someone might be up for a short term gig though 

Players don’t like to join struggling sides and don’t like having relegation on their record 

13 minutes ago, wavydavy said:

EEN reporting that the Dundee bid to take Wighton back is dead.

quote from their report.

"We have been priced out of making a move for Craig Wighton. Hearts’ demands were too high for us.

If we want rid why can't we just take the loss and be done with it and it would free up some cash and wages for a new player.

Trying to recoup the 5million we paid for him was always going to be tough. 

Jambof3tornado
2 hours ago, Jarhead said:

Did she not make critical comments on Twitter regarding the way Whelan was released?
I don’t use Twitter myself so only going by what I have seen reported on JKB , maybe I have missed where someone has showed that to be BS? If not, I would still say anything stronger than “best of luck for the future Wheels” is not the best of ideas. 

Didnt see anything on twitter thats a cause for alarm.

10 minutes ago, Gene Parmesan said:

What would be the point in him playing elsewhere but still costing us? The point is we want to save the cost of paying him. Loaning him to Dundee but still paying his wages makes zero sense at all.

Sounds like Dundee weren't willing to contribute very much!

Gene Parmesan
1 minute ago, wavydavy said:

The source of the EEN story is the comments in The Courier. The Courier is based in Dundee and knows the club inside out. The Courier is correct. It was a loan offer.

1 minute ago, Dusk_Till_Dawn said:

Players don’t like to join struggling sides and don’t like having relegation on their record 

Ideal for some loans until the end of the season as they can go back to their clubs without a worry.

21 minutes ago, AllyjamboDerbyshire said:

For me I only preferred it during the many periods I had a crap boss, one who was never any sort of help or ever available when needed. On the other hand, a good, and helpful boss, was generally missed by all.

I did, at one time, work under a general manager who was so dedicated to the business that he stayed at home during his 'holidays' sending the family away without him. Not only did he phone multiple times every day (not to me), he visited for an update every couple of days, too. He wasn't a likeable chap, nor helpful to those below him, but he did go far and brought great success, as CEO, to the parent company, and was later knighted for his services to the sector he worked in.

Obviously got nothing to do with Hearts situation, just an example of CEOs and their holidays.

That, to me is micro management and, again if that was me working under him it would tell me he didn't trust me to do my job if he wasn't there. It's not an exact science this management lark, which I've found out since I became one.

I had a manager who has since been promoted again who was a nightmare to work for. She called countless times to ask what was happening and for updates on jobs. I absolutely hated working for her and so did everyone else on the team. It was obvious she was going places in the company and the team treated her accordingly. She's no gonna be here long so **** her.

The best managers I've had have been those who ask for opinions, take their time when making critical decisions and let people do the job they're paid for but intervene/act when they're not doing that job.

I've also found that  a wee bit praise for a job well done goes a long way. Not much of that to be done at Tyney at the moment, granted but.

I've also, in my current job had a few CEO's/Big bosses. One of them, also honoured by HM funny enough was a complete **** who nobody in the organisation had a kind word to say about.  He was boss when the organisation was going through major changes and went at it like a bull in a china shop. It was going to take a brute and that's what we got. We've come out the other side and the new CEO is, slowly rebuilding everything staff wise the **** ruined.

I suppose, what I'm getting at is that if Mrs B had been a bit more brutal when things were critical we wouldn't be where we are but, we are where we are and a different approach is required. We can only hope she's learned from the experience.

Dusk_Till_Dawn
2 minutes ago, wavydavy said:

Ideal for some loans until the end of the season as they can go back to their clubs without a worry.

point still stands. “We’re seven points adrift at the bottom of the league. Fancy joining us?”

Eh, no.

Just now, Gene Parmesan said:

The source of the EEN story is the comments in The Courier. The Courier is based in Dundee and knows the club inside out. The Courier is correct. It was a loan offer.

Yes I know the Courier is a Dundee paper but how am I supposed to know that the source of the EEN story is based on that.

I am not denying what you say is correct however as you will see the EEN which is what I read does not mention it was a loan anywhere in the article.

1 minute ago, Dusk_Till_Dawn said:

point still stands. “We’re seven points adrift at the bottom of the league. Fancy joining us?”

Eh, no.

So are you ruling out us getting any signings in January then?

2 minutes ago, Dusk_Till_Dawn said:

Eh, no.

FFS we've dropped another two points!  

Gene Parmesan
2 minutes ago, wavydavy said:

Yes I know the Courier is a Dundee paper but how am I supposed to know that the source of the EEN story is based on that.

I am not denying what you say is correct however as you will see the EEN which is what I read does not mention it was a loan anywhere in the article.

Because it says in the EEN story: 

"Speaking to The Courier, McPake confirmed interest in Forrest while admitting a deal for Wighton was no longer likely."

Bazzas right boot
1 hour ago, davemclaren said:

All plans need tweaked going forward in my experience. We’ve no idea where they are with their transfer moves at the moment apart from the fact that we haven’t signed anyone yet, which I doubt was the original plan A. However, you would expect Daniel to have access to Ann if and when required. There are the other members of the board around as well to make decisions. 

i preferred work when my boss was on holiday. 

Nah. 

Ann sees "Danny" come up on her phone and she's just ignores it. 

Dusk_Till_Dawn
Just now, wavydavy said:

So are you ruling out us getting any signings in January then?

No but it’ll be extremely difficult to get anyone good.

I’m assuming you don’t actually think we’ve got a strong hand in this market?

Gordon Ramsay
8 minutes ago, Dusk_Till_Dawn said:

Probably don't like the failure ex manager and his weird mate hanging about in the background either. 

Bazzas right boot
4 minutes ago, Dusk_Till_Dawn said:

Eh, no.

Not even playing and dropping further behind. 

What a shambles. 

Ann's away on holiday and here we are dropping more points during the break. 

CL oot. 

Dusk_Till_Dawn
1 minute ago, Gordon Ramsay said:

Probably don't like the failure ex manager and his weird mate hanging about in the background either. 

Well this as well

Dusk_Till_Dawn
1 minute ago, Smith's right boot said:

Not even playing and dropping further behind. 

What a shambles. 

Ann's away on holiday and here we are dropping more points during the break. 

CL oot. 

Touche

35 minutes ago, tolcross lad said:

If Ann Budge is feeling the pressure so much maybe she should think of standing down.Her holidays should have waited

At this critical time she should be present.Her most important manager is just in the door

Your idea of leadership in a situation like this are clearly different to mine.So be it.

I think the critical time was the time she took to appoint Stendel. (Which she was also hounded for on here). I might be wrong but, she obviously believes he's the man for the job and, from what I've seen so far I agree with her. She trusts him enough to do his job for a week without her.

FWIW I believe she will retire, possibly at the end of the season. I would, if I was her. Along with a support who have gone above and beyond to save this club she has a support full of ******* ingrates.

16 minutes ago, wavydavy said:

Stendel has told him he is free to go and he is training with the reserves so what is the point in keeping him.

He is still under contract and we have to pay him. It sounded as if Dundee wanted him back but we wanted too much money for him.

We have already paid a big fee for him so as much as it would be nice to get a large chunk of that back surely it would be better to cut the asking price and get rid?

It would free up wages for another player.

For a permanent move, he will want his contract paid up, or at least the difference between what he gets from us vs what he will get from them.  

If loan (as I've assumed so far) we will be asking for a % of his wage. And I think they are saying that % is too much.

16 minutes ago, Dusk_Till_Dawn said:

Eh, no.

Five no?

Lord Beni of Gorgie

I have to agree with @Dusk_Till_Dawn

Getting players in is the collateral damage of the past 14 months. 

I felt it was important to get them early too, but ultimately that's proved to be well nigh impossible. 

Better to wait than get it wrong again 

Joey J J Jr Shabadoo
21 minutes ago, Gordon Ramsay said:

Anyone with half a brain would know this (which excludes the Levein fan club).

Edited by Joey J J Jr Shabadoo

jack D and coke
5 hours ago, soonbe110 said:

Think it’s already been mentioned on here that his family have had some pretty serious health issues to deal with and his mind hasn’t been 100% on football for some time. His broken ankle hasn’t helped either. Club was very caring and generous re contract. 

And then his wife goes about retweeting shite about how we treated Whelan? 

31 minutes ago, Gene Parmesan said:

"Speaking to The Courier, McPake confirmed interest in Forrest while admitting a deal for Wighton was no longer likely."

Sorry, hadn't read that far down. However if you just read the EEN article it doesn't say it was a loan deal which was what I quoted from.

I see in the Courier it does as you say.

21 minutes ago, Jamhammer said:

Five no?

Team P GD Pts
1   Celtic 20 42 52

2   Rangers 19 42 50
3   Motherwell 21 6 37

4   Aberdeen 21 4 36
5   Livingston 21 1 25
6   Hibernian 21 -7 25
7   Kilmarnock 21 -7 23
8   Ross County 20 -20 21
9   St Johnstone 19 -18 20
10   St Mirren 21 -12 19

11   Hamilton 21 -14 18

12   Hearts 21 -17 13

kingantti1874
35 minutes ago, Gene Parmesan said:

some money is better than no money and an unhappy player

Selkirkhmfc1874
1 minute ago, wavydavy said:
Team P GD Pts
1   Celtic 20 42 52

2   Rangers 19 42 50
3   Motherwell 21 6 37

4   Aberdeen 21 4 36
5   Livingston 21 1 25
6   Hibernian 21 -7 25
7   Kilmarnock 21 -7 23
8   Ross County 20 -20 21
9   St Johnstone 19 -18 20
10   St Mirren 21 -12 19

11   Hamilton 21 -14 18

12   Hearts 21 -17 13

What a grim sight that is 

MarkDevriesScores4
4 minutes ago, jack D and coke said:

Does anyone care about what his wife tweets? I don’t. 

23 minutes ago, Jamhammer said:

Five no?

7 points from automatic safety.

To be fair, it's only 3 wins more than Hamilton and St Mirren until the end of the season, and we still have the luxury of playing them both twice.

Geoff Kilpatrick
Just now, MarkDevriesScores4 said:

Nor me. Twitter is the pits.

2 minutes ago, jack D and coke said:

Would his wife have known or cared he got the extension for compassionate reasons (if indeed that was the case)?

Too many people looking for reasons to criticise when not in possession of the facts - nor am I.

2 minutes ago, Selkirkhmfc1874 said:

What a grim sight that is 

I also see that Ross Co have a game in hand over us and St Johnstone have two.

Next Wednesday's game is a real "6" pointer if ever there was one.

5 minutes ago, wavydavy said:

I think it’s against Celtic though for RC and one of StJ’s games is too.

Edited by HMFC86

5 minutes ago, wavydavy said:

It's only a 6 pointer as far as dragging County back into it, it's a 3 pointer otherwise.

Pasquale for King
54 minutes ago, Jambof3tornado said:

Didnt see anything on twitter thats a cause for alarm.

Not the brightest thing to do 

079F3088-77B5-46EC-ABDD-6641F0DBA7BB.jpeg

MarkDevriesScores4
10 minutes ago, Geoff Kilpatrick said:

Nor me. Twitter is the pits.

I binned twitter years ago. If there is a way of me caring less about what footballer’s wives or family members have to say, I’ll find it.

jack D and coke
11 minutes ago, JamboAl said:

Would his wife have known or cared he got the extension for compassionate reasons (if indeed that was the case)?

Too many people looking for reasons to criticise when not in possession of the facts - nor am I.

Are you serious? You don’t think she’d know we tried to help him out? And we didn’t give him it on compassionate grounds who the hell thinks we did? 

MarkDevriesScores4
1 minute ago, Pasquale for King said:

Not the brightest thing to do 

079F3088-77B5-46EC-ABDD-6641F0DBA7BB.jpeg

Who actually cares what she has to say? Other than maybe her husband. 

I could not care less. She has nothing to do with Hearts or Glen Whelan.

jack D and coke
15 minutes ago, MarkDevriesScores4 said:

If we’ve handed out a contract purely because we wanted to help the family out and help them through a difficult time...then she tweets shite about the club....then me mate. 

29 minutes ago, Barack said:

Might get one or two mercenaries in.

Looks like Stendel's going to have to get a tune out of the majority of work-shy arseholes, that got us into this mess in the 1st place.

In a way, it'll be a massive **** you to Levein  for failing to do similar. 

No evidence that he’s gonna get a tune out of the current squad anytime soon!

MarkDevriesScores4
Just now, jack D and coke said:

If we’ve handed out a contract purely because we wanted to help the family out and help them through a difficult time...then she tweets shite about the club....then me mate. 

Fair enough. I couldn’t care less. We’re not paying her. We’re paying her husband who is employed by us and to date hasn’t said anything negative as far as I’m aware. Berra has and he should be disciplined for it. I don’t think we’ve given her anything for free. We needed a stand in keeper and Levein (for whatever reason) chose to keep hold of Doyle. I doubt very much we just handed a salary out in charity with no intention of using Doyle.

AllyjamboDerbyshire
46 minutes ago, Jamhammer said:

That, to me is micro management and, again if that was me working under him it would tell me he didn't trust me to do my job if he wasn't there. It's not an exact science this management lark, which I've found out since I became one.

I had a manager who has since been promoted again who was a nightmare to work for. She called countless times to ask what was happening and for updates on jobs. I absolutely hated working for her and so did everyone else on the team. It was obvious she was going places in the company and the team treated her accordingly. She's no gonna be here long so **** her.

The best managers I've had have been those who ask for opinions, take their time when making critical decisions and let people do the job they're paid for but intervene/act when they're not doing that job.

I've also found that  a wee bit praise for a job well done goes a long way. Not much of that to be done at Tyney at the moment, granted but.

I've also, in my current job had a few CEO's/Big bosses. One of them, also honoured by HM funny enough was a complete **** who nobody in the organisation had a kind word to say about.  He was boss when the organisation was going through major changes and went at it like a bull in a china shop. It was going to take a brute and that's what we got. We've come out the other side and the new CEO is, slowly rebuilding everything staff wise the **** ruined.

I suppose, what I'm getting at is that if Mrs B had been a bit more brutal when things were critical we wouldn't be where we are but, we are where we are and a different approach is required. We can only hope she's learned from the experience.

Pretty much agree with all you say here, as my own experience is quite similar. I wasn't suggesting that a knighthood is any indication of a man being a good boss, just that the man I was describing was genuinely good at what he did, and was recognised as such, despite being a personality vacuum with not one iota of concern for those below him. Man management was not a concern of his, but he was dedicated to the company and got great results for it.

One thing I'd add is that it's an example of a boss who is/was brilliant at what he sees as his main purpose in life, his work, and perhaps I should have pointed out that the period in which I worked under him (way under him) he had only recently been appointed to the position, so perhaps the reverse of the Budge/Stendel situation. It is, anyway, of no relevance to the thread, just the meandering down Memory Lane for an auld guy.

Pasquale for King
2 minutes ago, MarkDevriesScores4 said:

Who actually cares what she has to say? Other than maybe her husband. 

I could not care less. She has nothing to do with Hearts or Glen Whelan.

If we gave her husband an extension on compassionate grounds, in fact we pay him more than he’s likely to get elsewhere, then a bit of respect for her husbands employers wouldn’t go amiss. He may even have a clause in his contract about social media etc. It is a free country though and she is allowed to have her beliefs, as are we.