Wrap up third - Season has been a success

vegas-voss

vegas-voss

Agree or disagree ?

My overwhelming feeling is it will be a success when third is wrapped up then regroup and come back stronger next season with new additions.Keep knocking at the door with visits to Hampden and a trophy will come again, remember the hurt in previous seasons before  JJ finally done it.

Edited by vegas-voss

• vegas-voss changed the title to Wrap up third - Season has been a success
  • Replies 252
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Sir PH

• Bazzas right boot

• Sooks

• If carlsberg did rivals...

nick_3892

Overall I’d say yes, especially after last season. Disappointing not to make even one final but we are a WIP. Hopefully signings over the summer make us stronger and we can win a trophy. 👍👍

TheBigO
7 minutes ago, vegas-voss said:

Agree or disagree ?

My overwhelming feelings is it will be a success when third is wrapped up then regroup and come back stronger next season with new additions.Keep knocking at the door with visits to Hampden and a trophy will come again, remember the hurt in previous seasons before  JJ finally done it.

Of course it has been.  Last season was, relatively, a shitshow.  A total collapse.  We've steadied, we've got our place back.  THAT is what this season was about.  We've bedded in some guys too who will be better next season for it.  We'll be a better team next season than this, I'm sure of it (and that's with or without Shanks btw - but hopefully with!!!)

Fxxx the SPFL
11 minutes ago, vegas-voss said:

Agree or disagree ?

My overwhelming feeling is it will be a success when third is wrapped up then regroup and come back stronger next season with new additions.Keep knocking at the door with visits to Hampden and a trophy will come again, remember the hurt in previous seasons before  JJ finally done it.

Totally agree and with the new additions we’ll be better.

Thomaso
14 minutes ago, vegas-voss said:

Agree or disagree ?

100% YES

Luckies1874

Finishing 3rd was essential after the late collapse last year. It could be argued it was all that mattered this season and therefore it is very much case of job done. Naismith and his staff deserve big credit for doing that pretty cosily in their first full season. Strangely I don't think it's been a very memorable campaign as bluntly there have been few highlight performances though some excellent results have been attained; the 2 wins over Celtic particularly notable and perhaps the highlight of the season the stoppage time winner at Easter Road at the end of a dreadful derby!

Making 2 semi-finals has also been positive and we look like a side less likely to slip up against poorer opposition however we still have major flaws throughout the team which need addressed this summer. In my opinion now is the time for the club to push the boat out and spend some significant money, relatively speaking. The fans have backed Hearts to the hilt yet again and ST numbers and hospitality sales will again mean that revenue rises into the 2024-25 season and that's before the guaranteed 4 home European matches. We need to see a signal of intent that we are trying to improve the starting 11 not just add bodies, essential though that is, to the squad. We need to raise the level of our top 14-15 players with the addition of at least a couple of ballers that make us immediately better. The recruitment is therefore essential. We need more quality in the final 3rd as was highlighted time and again yesterday. I suspect we will be looking for that coming in from abroad but for me the obvious target close to home is Danny Armstrong from Kilmarnock. 26 years old so prime years coming up, knows the league, has been a stand out for the team immediately below us, shows desire and hunger to get better, won't be going to either Old Firm and can come in and hit the ground running. At this point Hearts should be in a position to break our transfer record on a player. Show some ambition and go and get him.

Edited by Luckies1874

ToadKiller Dog

My basic template is 3rd ,4th at worst , 

Cups the semis at least depending on avoiding the uglies .

We've done that .

The semis have been disappointing, we also don't take enough of our chances .

But are we moving forward as a club yep we are ,maybe not at the pace we want as fans ,but overall we are in a ok place .

Edited by ToadKiller Dog

GinRummy

Of course it’s a success overall. Our performances at Hampden have been disappointing though. 

Geoff Kilpatrick

It is a good season. We have 3rd wrapped up as well despite what some say. However, I'd argue this current team has peaked as well. Assuming Shankland goes in the close season, we aren't going to replace like for like. So we will need a different kind of team next season to maintain this level, let alone surpass it.

HopeDiouf

Now need to look to next season and improving. evident some new defeders required after yesterdays shambles. Rowles has had way too many incidents like yeaterday, where he is exposed as way too soft. If we dont deal with our defensive issues well get the same issues next season

jock _turd

Finishing in third is most definitely a successful season for Hearts. Not winning anything is nothing unusual but it would be nice to. Honestsly? There is not one team in the league wa have not struggled to get past and that is something that could be even moreso next season IF Shankland gets a move. Take away his goal scoring threat and god knows how we would have done this season.

Stendelnator

Expectations have been met but not exceeded overall. So it’s a good season not a great one. 

The Tackle
1 minute ago, Stendelnator said:

Expectations have been met but not exceeded overall. So it’s a good season not a great one. 

Was just about to post this. A good season not a great one. Great would be a trophy so we don’t have many great seasons 

1971fozzy

Yes, It’s been a success, and with the euro money next year we need to sign some quality to move on further from the rest of the teams below us.

CB, RB and upfront.

No doubt a good season, get the transfers right in the summer and take another step forward.

Rocky jamboa

Our benchmark should be a 3rd place finish, semi finals of the cups, providing we avoid the bigot sisters in the earlier rounds, and improving our points total and reducing the gap on the OF each year.  So in that respect, we've achieved our goals.

We finished on 54 points last season. This season we're already on 62, with 5 games left to play. We were also 38 points behind 2nd place and this season it is only 13 so far, which is impressive. 

Naismith deserves credit for the impact he's had on the team and for me, he's the guy to take us forward. Just needs a bit money to bring in better quality players in some key areas.

The disappointing thing for me is that right back and an attacking central midfielder were the areas everyone could see we needed to improve on last year and we didn't do it. In so many games this season, our weakness in those areas has been shown up. We also needed a more commanding centre half but feel we got that with Kent.

Hopefully we can improve again next season. I'm not sure if Spittal and/or Dhanda are the players to solve the AM issue. We defo need to sort out right back. We could also do with improvements on guys like Forrest, Oda and Tagawa. I'm not sure about Rowles either. Grant is anonymous all the time, apart from the very rare good thing he does, and another one we need to move on. He did nothing again yesterday.

So on the whole, it has been a successful season.

Edited by Rocky jamboa

A_A wehatethehibs

It’s been a good season which was important after the implosion of last season. The club had got some momentum going under Robbie in 2021-22 and that faltered, then we made the change to Naisy and he has got a real grip of it, the momentum about the club keeps going, the Heart of Midlothian juggernaut is gathering steam 

With 5 games left and 62 points on the board, this team has an opportunity to set the record for a best-ever points tally. 

A 70 point season would be an absolutely wonderful thing to see, 2 wins and 2 draws gets us there 

Edited by A_A wehatethehibs

Pasquale for King
1 hour ago, Luckies1874 said:

Finishing 3rd was essential after the late collapse last year. It could be argued it was all that mattered this season and therefore it is very much case of job done. Naismith and his staff deserve big credit for doing that pretty cosily in their first full season. Strangely I don't think it's been a very memorable campaign as bluntly there have been few highlight performances though some excellent results have been attained; the 2 wins over Celtic particularly notable and perhaps the highlight of the season the stoppage time winner at Easter Road at the end of a dreadful derby!

Making 2 semi-finals has also been positive and we look like a side less likely to slip up against poorer opposition however we still have major flaws throughout the team which need addressed this summer. In my opinion now is the time for the club to push the boat out and spend some significant money, relatively speaking. The fans have backed Hearts to the hilt yet again and ST numbers and hospitality sales will again mean that revenue rises into the 2024-25 season and that's before the guaranteed 4 home European matches. We need to see a signal of intent that we are trying to improve the starting 11 not just add bodies, essential though that is, to the squad. We need to raise the level of our top 14-15 players with the addition of at least a couple of ballers that make us immediately better. The recruitment is therefore essential. We need more quality in the final 3rd as was highlighted time and again yesterday. I suspect we will be looking for that coming in from abroad but for me the obvious target close to home is Danny Armstrong from Kilmarnock. 26 years old so prime years coming up, knows the league, has been a stand out for the team immediately below us, shows desire and hunger to get better, won't be going to either Old Firm and can come in and hit the ground running. At this point Hearts should be in a position to break our transfer record on a player. Show some ambition and go and get him.

Absolutely spot on. 

Pasquale for King
52 minutes ago, jock _turd said:

Finishing in third is most definitely a successful season for Hearts. Not winning anything is nothing unusual but it would be nice to. Honestsly? There is not one team in the league wa have not struggled to get past and that is something that could be even moreso next season IF Shankland gets a move. Take away his goal scoring threat and god knows how we would have done this season.

Agreed 

Selkirkhmfc1874

Absolutely finishing 3rd will be a successful season , European group stage football will be massive for us again in terms of prestige and financially 

Lord Beni of Gorgie

Bar Rangers, the season has been a roaring success, it really is our only black mark, unfortunately as mediocre a Rangers they are, its a pretty big stain on something otherwise very good.

Watt-Zeefuik

Three straight top four finishes for only the second time since 1960. And the last time was 4th, 4th, 3rd, so it's our best three year average position since we were champs.

We are steadily progressing back to where we belong. We're not there yet, but the progress is real.

Hearts_fan

No Hearts fan of sound mind can complain about skooshing third, potentially finishing just 15 points behind 2nd, and losing two semi-finals to the team that could yet win the treble. 

It's definitely been a good season. After a really shaky start we've really kicked on and made that European place our own (touch wood). That was the main goal for the season. We've also made it to Hampden twice which, while disappointing we couldn't get the job done and make it to a final, is still progress compared to last season.

Our away form has been excellent, which is very rare and nobody, bar Rangers, has beaten us twice so far this season. 

Smithian

Ten years ago today, Hearts were finishing up a relegation season. A season so dreadful that no points deduction would still have seen Hearts in the relegation playoff.

Five years ago, Hearts were finishing up a depressing season a mile behind Hibs and Aberdeen. I'd say finishing midtable three straight years was depressing, but the next season would be even worse.

The weekend was depressing, but this season is a massive, smashing success.

I can't get over the tweet from the Aberdeen owner jabbing Andrew McKinlay for patronizing Aberdeen when they've actually finished above Hearts 10 of 11 seasons. While I have no doubt that Hearts should finished third ever season based on club infrastructure, it simply hasn't happened. Clubs like Aberdeen and Kilmarnock were regularly better than Hearts in recent years. This club was basket case for over a decade before FOH, with help of Budge, stabilized it. How can we not appreciate the good times?

Until Hearts finish third two seasons in a row, I won't get bored by European football and being near top of the table.

Luckies1874

Really feels like this summer we find out how serious we are about extending and solidifying the gap over the potential challengers for 3rd and further making inroads to the big two ahead of us. Will we increase the budget to bring in additional quality? Will we see us spend some significant money on a transfer fee or two? Will the board back Naismith and provide him with several starters that will immediately improve us? Feels like we are ready to make the next step but will it happen?! 

loveofthegame

3rd, 4th, 3rd. Three successive seasons in Europe for the first time ever. 2 cup semi finals this year (only losing out to Rangers (potentially winners) of both), regular trips to Hampden over the past few years...

No matter how you cut it, that IS progress.

Yes I want to win trophies. I want to see us win more with my Dad while he is still able to enjoy the days out. I want my own son to see us win them. But I hold onto hope that the way we are being run will help ensure that those days do happen, ideally a little more regularly than they have in my first 36 years of life...

All roads lead to Gorgie

It's been a season of steady progress and the only real disappointment is putting in quite poor semi final performances and not really playing to our strengths in these games. I hope the money earned from a good season will see a stronger midfield next season both physically but mentally tougher too for games like yesterday.

boag1874

3rd & 2 semi finals is a good season, cements us as the 3rd best side, exactly where we should be.

Add in the potential of hitting 20 wins for just the 2nd time this century (05/06 with 22 wins, we're already on as many wins as 03/04 which is our 2nd best league campaign this century, so at the very least it's our most winning season in 20 years), our best away wins record this century I believe, first win at CP since 2007 followed up with a 2nd win v them on the bounce, unbeaten in the derby (although a couple disappointing home draws), potential to get our 2nd best points haul this century (2 wins would match the 68 points of 03/04, matching the 74 of 05/06 looks very unlikely but mathematically possible as it stands, one more win makes it the best points total of the Budge/FOH era), top 4 confirmed for the 3rd season in a row for the first time since the 50s & Europe 3x in a row for the first time ever. 

We've come a long way since the 2010s, it's easy to lose sight of that after a disappointment like yesterday but truly the club is on the up as the numbers show. Every metric points to success, success will come. Maybe not next year, maybe not even the following year but Rome wasn't built in a day and as long as we keep pushing on, keep on growing, keep on improving then we'll bring a trophy back home to Gorgie again.

boag1874
3 hours ago, The Tackle said:

Was just about to post this. A good season not a great one. Great would be a trophy so we don’t have many great seasons 

I'd agree with that tbh. We've had 3 "great" seasons in my lifetime (4 if you count the championship win in 14/15 considering the clubs we had down there with us and the manner we went about it) - 98 which I'm too young to remember, 05/06 which I doubt I'll see a better team at Tynecastle than in a long time and of course 2011/12 which in all honesty league wise was pretty rough going at times but more than made up for with 2 legendary wins at Hampden that will be spoke about forever. 03/04, 10/11, 21/22 & this season (barring the biggest catastrophic collapse we've ever had in my lifetime) are all very good seasons with some really memorable highlights but not "great" seasons.

Watt-Zeefuik
49 minutes ago, Smithian said:

Ten years ago today, Hearts were finishing up a relegation season. A season so dreadful that no points deduction would still have seen Hearts in the relegation playoff.

Five years ago, Hearts were finishing up a depressing season a mile behind Hibs and Aberdeen. I'd say finishing midtable three straight years was depressing, but the next season would be even worse.

The weekend was depressing, but this season is a massive, smashing success.

I can't get over the tweet from the Aberdeen owner jabbing Andrew McKinlay for patronizing Aberdeen when they've actually finished above Hearts 10 of 11 seasons. While I have no doubt that Hearts should finished third ever season based on club infrastructure, it simply hasn't happened. Clubs like Aberdeen and Kilmarnock were regularly better than Hearts in recent years. This club was basket case for over a decade before FOH, with help of Budge, stabilized it. How can we not appreciate the good times?

Until Hearts finish third two seasons in a row, I won't get bored by European football and being near top of the table.

Great post, and to add to it . . . While I want to do more than just finish third and get semifinals, complaining that getting third routinely isn't enough seems pretty precious when it's not something we've done in over half a century. We're going the combo of three straight top 4 with two of those being 3rd for the first time in over 60 years. That means we're progressing.

Hell yeah I want to make that "3-4-3-2" to push even higher, or add a cup win but one step at a time.

The next step I want to see is us making a European knockout round for the first time ever.

Fraggle

Agree. We have been far from impressive most of this season, but there is no doubt it can be viewed as a success. Reached the semis of both cups, 3rd place and European football up to December near enough confirmed, away results drastically improved, etc. We are on the right track, room for improvement in a few areas required, but I don't view that as an over arching negative. These sort of small moves forward are the much discussed "next steps for Hearts", not competing with Rangers and Celtic (currently).

Chuck Berry
5 hours ago, vegas-voss said:

Agree or disagree ?

Yes, with bells on.

jamboy1982

Of course it’s a success. If we finish third and lose in the first round of both cups it’s a success so this season is defo a success. 

we’ve got rid of a few deadwood players and have already signed 3 that look like they’ll improve the squad overall. A couple of new starting players and we’ll be in a good place for next year. 

Strijder Koerover

We lost to Rangers in Glasgow and it seems to tarnish a pretty good season. 

Overall this season has been a success. Third, two semis (yes yesterday wasn’t best but it’ll come), unbeaten in Derby.

And our closest rivals both languish in bottom six. Things could be a lot worse. 

Some young players improving and solid signings for next year. My feet are on the ground but we’re learning and getting better. 

Gorgie_Rules

First time since the 60s we’ve had 3 consecutive top 4 finishes.

Europe (potentially 8 - 10 games) next season for the third year on the trot for the first time ever.

Club has never been on a more stable footing and in as good hands financially.

If any Hearts fan thinks this season (and era for the club) is anything less than a success just because we lost two semi finals to Rangers then they should probably think about packing it in.

6 hours ago, vegas-voss said:

Agree or disagree ?

Definitely a success . European groups / tables is a lucrative prize 

kingantti1874

It’s not a matter of opinion really.  3rd comfortably, 2 semi’s is a successful season for hearts.  When you add in the best away record in 30 years and breaking certain hoodoos it’s been very good.

we all wish it could have been needed with a trophy, but we’ve won 3 trophies in 65 years.  It’s NOT a reasonable demand

If carlsberg did rivals...
6 hours ago, vegas-voss said:

Agree or disagree ?

Disagree. Would people rather we finished third most seasons and won nothing or finish between 4th-8th and win a cup every 5 seasons? It surely has to be the winning option.

Smithian
38 minutes ago, Gorgie_Rules said:

First time since the 60s we’ve had 3 consecutive top 4 finishes.

Europe (potentially 8 - 10 games) next season for the third year on the trot for the first time ever.

Club has never been on a more stable footing and in as good hands financially.

If any Hearts fan thinks this season (and era for the club) is anything less than a success just because we lost two semi finals to Rangers then they should probably think about packing it in.

For me, that is pretty much the beginning and end of the conversation.

12 minutes ago, If carlsberg did rivals... said:

Disagree. Would people rather we finished third most seasons and won nothing or finish between 4th-8th and win a cup every 5 seasons? It surely has to be the winning option.

Exactly. And this garbage that we've won three trophies in 60 years, so just pipe down and be grateful for finishing 3rd and getting slapped aside in two semi's? Three trophies in 60 years is an utter disgrace for the third biggest club in the country. 180 odd attempts, and we've succeeded three times. Pitiful.

Edited by Sir PH

One five

3rd is what we should expect ,for a club our size we should be winning silverware a lot more often than we do.

Yes. 

Beating Killie is basically our cup final. Beat them and 3rd is done. 

McInnes will have his players fired up, so I hope Naismith and the players treat it like a cup final. 

No Idle Talk

Big picture, finishing third in the league and getting to Hampden in both cup competitions is not a bad season. The two semi-final performances do leave a bit of a sour taste in the mouth.

There's plenty to feel optimistic about looking ahead to next season though. 

CaptainShanks
2 hours ago, Watt-Zeefuik said:

Great post, and to add to it . . . While I want to do more than just finish third and get semifinals, complaining that getting third routinely isn't enough seems pretty precious when it's not something we've done in over half a century. We're going the combo of three straight top 4 with two of those being 3rd for the first time in over 60 years. That means we're progressing.

Hell yeah I want to make that "3-4-3-2" to push even higher, or add a cup win but one step at a time.

The next step I want to see is us making a European knockout round for the first time ever.

If we end up in the Conference League there will be a much better chance of this happening due to the new format. 

No Idle Talk

I think the biggest thing I will take away from this season is the uptick in our away form. That has been a very pleasant surprise. If we can carry that forward in to next season then we will be successful again. 

Watt-Zeefuik
5 minutes ago, CaptainShanks said:

If we end up in the Conference League there will be a much better chance of this happening due to the new format. 

Agreed, we can hope.

We really did get the short straw two years ago when we got the eventual runner up as our Pod 2 draw. The new format at least spreads out the risk by drawing 6 teams instead of 3.