Odds on next manager

DB-14

31 minutes ago, ramrod said:

So Iooking at the  last few posts 

Austin SD

Robbo Manager 

Levein floating around doing who knows what ? 

Yep def not doing  it on the cheap , best candidates for the job and all that malarkey or alternatively. 

HOLY ****........! 

Who do you think we should appoint for each post?

• Replies 6.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Lord Beni of Gorgie

• kingantti1874

• soonbe110

• mitch41

25 minutes ago, Shrekeo said:

Skybet rules are that it includes a ‘caretaker’ taking 10 games or more so if we didn’t appoint someone in a month, the bookies would pay out even if we still appointed someone else. 

Thanks for that. That explains it.

Just now, Smith's right boot said:

Most fans will understand that the bookies list isn't our short list. 

Yip.

Can’t remember but was Levein on a bookies list last time ?

rudi must stay
13 minutes ago, Boab said:

Yip.

Can’t remember but was Levein on a bookies list last time ?

Yes top. Daily Record have been right first time with him and Cathro

1 hour ago, Smith's right boot said:

Most fans will understand that the bookies list isn't our short list. 

Thank **** for that. I'd honestly be so disappointed if MacPhee or Robbo got it. Would actually be disappointed with most of that list, and think we can do much much better.

1 hour ago, Stanley_ said:

Hearts legend and I wish him all the best at ICT but definitely not the right choice.  

1 hour ago, allyby said:

My thoughts as well, would hate to see him fail like Levein and get barracked on here, he a Legend, keep it that way!

Unlike Levein, Robbo would know when the gig was up and do the honourable thing and resign, imo.

Agree that it would be heart breaking to see him pilloried by the fans though.  

1 hour ago, Voiceofreasonfortheseason said:

Does the manager come before the Sporting Director?  Been discussing this all day at work, surely we need to the SD/DOF in place first?  Maybe I am being stupid, don't know anymore.

A good question. The Manager and Sporting Director will have to be able to get on with each other so it would be better in my opinion if the manager was employed first then involved with appointing the Sporting Director. In my opinion the SD should not be superior to the manager as I believe the manager should be only accountable to the Hearts Board/CEO. The SD’s aim should be the efficient function of the Scouting, Academy, Player Contract, Youth Development ect. leaving the Manager to oversee the management of all first team functions like Team Selection, Coaching, Training, Fitness including physio’s, medical ect. Selecting player targets and player sales or release.  
Ann Budge will probably go for a Sporting Director first and advise her on appointing a new manager which I believe is the wrong way round but hey what do I know.

Tom Hardy’s Dug

Robbo.

He actually did pretty well the last time he took over from Levein.

Has he ever worked with as good a squad of players as we have? How would he set us up?

He was manager in the Andy Davies game wasn’t he - we played 4-3-3 I think

Tom Hardy’s Dug

If we are not going to push the boundaries with a Stendel or proven manager who has worked down south I’d genuinely rather have Robbo or Neilson back.

I’d prefer to push the boundaries - very much so - but if we are sticking to the narrow SPL standard manager approach then Robbo or Neilson would be my choice. 

Edited by Tom Hardy’s Dug

1 minute ago, Tom Hardy’s Dug said:

Robbo.

Has he ever worked with as good a squad of players as we have? How would he set us up?

Take away the fact it's Robbo, would you even consider anyone with the same managerial record 

2 minutes ago, Tom Hardy’s Dug said:

If we are not going to push the boundaries with a Stendel or proven manager who has worked down south I’d genuinely rather have Robbo or Neilson back.

I’d prefer to push the boundaries - very much so - but if we are sticking to the narrow SPL standard manager approach then Robbo or Neilson would be my choice. 

He did well considering it was the start of multiple Lithuanians being forced into the squad although no doubt the likes of Miko and Chesney were gems.

Tom Hardy’s Dug
2 minutes ago, jambopilms said:

Take away the fact it's Robbo, would you even consider anyone with the same managerial record 

If we are only looking at the Scottish market, yes. 

I really hope we are not just looking at the Scottish market though.

9 minutes ago, mitch41 said:

A good question. The Manager and Sporting Director will have to be able to get on with each other so it would be better in my opinion if the manager was employed first then involved with appointing the Sporting Director. In my opinion the SD should not be superior to the manager as I believe the manager should be only accountable to the Hearts Board/CEO. The SD’s aim should be the efficient function of the Scouting, Academy, Player Contract, Youth Development ect. leaving the Manager to oversee the management of all first team functions like Team Selection, Coaching, Training, Fitness including physio’s, medical ect. Selecting player targets and player sales or release.  
Ann Budge will probably go for a Sporting Director first and advise her on appointing a new manager which I believe is the wrong way round but hey what do I know.

Needs to be the Sporting Director first, the SD is likely to outlast a number of managers as the first team results don't have a direct bearing on that role. Having a manager pick the SD would mean that you would need to replace both each time results of the first team were unsatisfactory resulting in a lack of continuity throughout the whole club.

Tom Hardy’s Dug
Just now, To Be Frank said:

He did well considering it was the start of multiple Lithuanians being forced into the squad although no doubt the likes of Miko and Chesney were gems.

He did blend them into a good front 3 quickly with Lee Miller. Lee Miller also went on a great goal scoring run.

Miko was young so it wasn’t a banker that throwing them into the team would

work.

jamboinglasgow
9 minutes ago, Tom Hardy’s Dug said:

Robbo.

I think your looking at his time in charge with rose tinted glasses, he was alright as manager but I would not say he did really well

1 minute ago, Ribble said:

Needs to be the Sporting Director first, the SD is likely to outlast a number of managers as the first team results don't have a direct bearing on that role. Having a manager pick the SD would mean that you would need to replace both each time results of the first team were unsatisfactory resulting in a lack of continuity throughout the whole club.

I never said a manager would pick the SD I said a manager would be involved in the process. We all know Ann Budge will have the final decision taking advice from football people in the know. I believe my way is the best way because the new manager is more important that any Sporting Director.

Tom Hardy’s Dug
Just now, jamboinglasgow said:

I think your looking at his time in charge with rose tinted glasses, he was alright as manager but I would not say he did really well

given the background and circumstances at the time let’s not forget

anyway as I said it’s not my preference 

Robbo would do a job. He has done a great job at Caley imo and has had them punching well above their weight.

Like others have said though, the man is a God amongst men here and inevitably there would be a time when things get a bit stale or we start going down hill and we’d have to sack him. Imo Robbo would resign if things went south anyway because he’s a class act, but imagine Robbo had to suffer the abuse Levein got? 

I couldn’t cope with that.

On that basis alone I wouldn’t have him as manager unless it was until the end of the season or something. His legacy here should remain intact. 

Lord Beni of Gorgie
1 hour ago, Agentjambo said:

Yes,a few times.Have relatives down near Barnsley. 

How did they play, got to confess, never seen them, but lots of good publicity

Shanks said no

Skybet just before 4pm

Austin MacPhee

11/10

John Robertson

5/1

Neil Warnock

5/1

Steve Robinson

6/1

David Moyes

10/1

Dougie Freedman

10/1

Jack Ross

10/1

Mark Hughes

12/1

Austin Macphee

EVS

Stephen Robinson

9/2

Neil Warnock

6/1

John Robertson

6/1

Felix Magath

9/1

Jack Ross

10/1

David Moyes

14/1

Billy McKinlay

14/1

Brian McClair

16/1

Andy Kirk

20/1

Neil McCann

20/1

Nigel Adkins

20/1

Tommy Wright

25/1

Roy Keane

25/1

Paul Hartley

25/1

Mark Hughes

33/1

Steven Pressley

33/1

Robbie Neilson

33/1

Gary Locke

40/1

Nathan Jones

40/1

Jon Daly

40/1

Derek McInnes

50/1

Darren Fletcher

50/1

Stevie Crawford

50/1

Aitor Karanka

60/1

Steven Naismith

66/1

PP full list, no alexander

Lord Beni of Gorgie
23 minutes ago, Tom Hardy’s Dug said:

Some will be staggered, but I would take MacPhee and Neilson. Simple reason, I think its a blend that would work, as a team, perhaps Naismith may think differently as to its merits.

However I'd be the first to admit, that could be underselling us.

Tom Hardy’s Dug
10 minutes ago, Sir Gio said:

Some will be staggered, but I would take MacPhee and Neilson. Simple reason, I think its a blend that would work, as a team, perhaps Naismith may think differently as to its merits.

However I'd be the first to admit, that could be underselling us.

as I say it’s not what I want ideally

but if we are being narrow and looking things from a Scottish perspective I think the best young manager in Scotland is Neilson and I think a good attack minded manager is Robbo.

i am not that interested in Robinson or Ross and I just don’t see any other standouts on the Scottish market.

Edited by Tom Hardy’s Dug

Lord Beni of Gorgie
18 minutes ago, A Shoreditch Heart said:

A story in today's Evening Standard  https://www.standard.co.uk/sport/football/crystal-palace-sporting-director-dougie-freedman-interested-replacing-craig-levein-hearts-boss-a4285926.html

The last time we got a mention in the paper was when Burley got sacked if I remember...

Written by Jack Rosser, not very complementary

:lol:

Edited by Sir Gio

49 minutes ago, Ribble said:

Exactly, pretty obvious and Mrs Budge has already said that would be her preferred order of hiring. Makes much more sense than doing it the other way. 

58 minutes ago, To Be Frank said:

Gems 😂😂😂😂 

6 minutes ago, Siphiwe Tshabalala said:

Also heard earlier on, and it’s possibly nonsense, Paul Scholes has been contacted. 

Would prefer an experienced guy but Gerard has done well and scholes certainly speaks well

he could be worth a  shot 

49 minutes ago, Sir Gio said:

How did they play, got to confess, never seen them, but lots of good publicity

His team played on the front foot,defending from the front.Plays the pressing game and quick attacking. Gagenpressing as the germans call it.plus he had a great repor with the fans,even met them in local pub....the day after he was fired to say goodbye. 

Edited by Agentjambo

6 minutes ago, NB GIN said:

Would prefer an experienced guy but Gerard has done well and scholes certainly speaks well

he could be worth a  shot 

This is probably nonsense BUT, just the kind of candidate we SHOULD be looking at.

Could you imagine the players? He speaks and they would listen. Wouldn't listen to half the guff on that odds list and as I said previously, would not give 2 shites about the 2 shites in Glasgow either!

1 hour ago, JamboAl said:

Who do you think we should appoint for each post?

Difficult to say as I don't know what the budget is for each job or what each individual applicates expecting to be paid . 

43 minutes ago, reaths17 said:

Austin Macphee

EVS

Stephen Robinson

9/2

Neil Warnock

6/1

John Robertson

6/1

Felix Magath

9/1

Jack Ross

10/1

David Moyes

14/1

Billy McKinlay

14/1

Brian McClair

16/1

Andy Kirk

20/1

Neil McCann

20/1

Nigel Adkins

20/1

Tommy Wright

25/1

Roy Keane

25/1

Paul Hartley

25/1

Mark Hughes

33/1

Steven Pressley

33/1

Robbie Neilson

33/1

Gary Locke

40/1

Nathan Jones

40/1

Jon Daly

40/1

Derek McInnes

50/1

Darren Fletcher

50/1

Stevie Crawford

50/1

Aitor Karanka

60/1

Steven Naismith

66/1

PP full list, no alexander

Or Freedman?

Get a fiver on MH @33/1

Lord Beni of Gorgie
8 minutes ago, Agentjambo said:

His team played on the front foot,defending from the front.Plays the pressing game and quick attacking. Gagenpressing as the germans call it.plus he had a great repor with the fans,even met them in local pub....the day after he was fired to say goodbye. 

What did you make of Oakwood?

Coburg Hearts
1 hour ago, pointon said:

Ann better be circling the wagons if Austin and his band of brothers get this gig

What are you planning to do?

1 hour ago, Siphiwe Tshabalala said:

Also heard earlier on, and it’s possibly nonsense, Paul Scholes has been contacted. 

Asked for and put a fiver on him early on.   Should have held back and let the odds increase, as he is now 100/1. 

B4611408-D066-48AB-AFED-BADDA0DC3F37.png

1 hour ago, Siphiwe Tshabalala said:

Short term deal while Whelan and Haring are injured?

If the criteria is a high profile person with a record of success, it has to be Magath.  No one else comes close among those listed.

2 minutes ago, Kiwidoug said:

If the criteria is a high profile person with a record of success, it has to be Magath.  No one else comes close among those listed.

Guess it depends whether the criteria is recent success.  Magath’s done feck all for 10 years.

1 hour ago, soonbe110 said:

Exactly, pretty obvious and Mrs Budge has already said that would be her preferred order of hiring. Makes much more sense than doing it the other way. 

Priorities that is what Ann Budge needs to aim for first. 
A manager, the managers choice of staff, a Sporting Director that supports the managers aims such as scouting targets,

kids and youth depts, academy functions, players contracts ect. So really we’re talking about a Sporting Director that 

carries out the way forward that supports the managers short, middle and long term’s aims to make our first team the 

best it can be. All this while the CEO guides the club off the pitch to making fortunes that can be ploughed into the team 

and the clubs infrastructure.

2 minutes ago, Mdoug79 said:

Scholes or Stendel for me all day long and would be completely open to AM as SD 

I think stendel is the kind of guy that would really hit it off with McPhee and sound like they both want to play expansive modern football.

Just now, Agentjambo said:

I think stendel is the kind of guy that would really hit it off with McPhee and sound like they both want to play expansive modern football.

I want a modern positive youngish manager with no fear of the ugly sisters. If these 2 are interested let’s stretch the budget as these guys would be worth it