Odds on next manager

DB-14

2 minutes ago, Absolute Scenes said:

Can you see into the future? How can you possibly say it will be a mistake? He is sought after by FIFA and NI and is probably suited to a director role rather than management

He could be sought by Brazil so what. Is he with FIFA .....no.

• Replies 6.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Lord Beni of Gorgie

• kingantti1874

• soonbe110

• mitch41

20 minutes ago, mitch41 said:

Oh come on. Ah well here we go.

Hughton

Adkins

Warnock

McClare

Weir

Anderton

Question: Is Lee Darnbrough out of the running ?

Well done Mitch but are they really high profile compared with Freedman, Alexander and Felix?

The 3 managers you mention have only had moderate unsustained success and Warnock is even contemplating retirement.

I couldn't see Fireworks Phil coming back to football (but who knows?) while McClair and Weir would IMO just be a hit and a hope.  That is not to say it wouldn't work with either.

Someone like Freedman who has at least done the job of SD would be ideal but I think he is more interested in manager than SD which makes him a little less attractive.

1 minute ago, JamboAl said:

Well done Mitch but are they really high profile compared with Freedman, Alexander and Felix?

The 3 managers you mention have only had moderate unsustained success and Warnock is even contemplating retirement.

I couldn't see Fireworks Phil coming back to football (but who knows?) while McClair and Weir would IMO just be a hit and a hope.  That is not to say it wouldn't work with either.

Someone like Freedman who has at least done the job of SD would be ideal but I think he is more interested in manager than SD which makes him a little less attractive.

It's all about opinions and who knows among us. It's Ann Budges decision and the last 2 appointments she has made haven't worked this time she has to get it right.

26 minutes ago, Jamhammer said:

If you do it now and the appointment is decent, (Stranger things have happened), you've wasted yer pish.

Hmmm....good point.

Just now, mitch41 said:

It's all about opinions and who knows among us. It's Ann Budges decision and the last 2 appointments she has made haven't worked this time she has to get it right.

I'll bet that every supporter in every club about to appoint a new manager will utter these self same words (with maybe a slight change from she to he).

1 hour ago, Cruyff Turn said:

Not related to us but Frankie Lampard doesn’t take any shite. 😬8470FE32-0938-40D8-9F36-B4CF6BB34DC4.thumb.jpeg.89dd2f803b4388a03f35e2b417febb7b.jpeg

They get fined more for being late than Celtic do for destroying venues across europe.

jamboinglasgow

Anyone calling for a manager to be made sporting director hasn't grasped what the role is about.

Edited by jamboinglasgow

2 hours ago, Agentjambo said:

Very poor show if true...jobs for the boys.

If Austin gets the SD  rule it will be nothing short of an utter embarrassment and a nail in the coffin for Ann I'm afraid . 

She has to put personal loyalty out the window and select the best candidate . It's not about her it's about the club . She nearly destroyed her legacy with the Levein fiasco I hope she's learned her lesson . 

2 minutes ago, ramrod said:

If Austin gets the SD  rule it will be nothing short of an utter embarrassment and a nail in the coffin for Ann I'm afraid . 

She has to put personal loyalty out the window and select the best candidate . It's not about her it's about the club . She nearly destroyed her legacy with the Levein fiasco I hope she's learned her lesson . 

What about Austin’s experience and history makes you think he wouldn’t be any good as a Sporting Director? Genuine question.

3 hours ago, NB GIN said:

We are on similar wage structure as Hibs there isn’t much difference, so to your comment we aren’t Hibs doesn’t really stand up for anything to be honest 

It was tongue and cheeky mate. Hibs are always lower than us, because they're Hibs. 

Whilst I’d rather not wait six weeks fir a appointment it seems a bit strange to suggest that all the ‘good’ managers will get snapped up if we don’t rush things. Managers appear on the market just as quickly as they disappear off it. 

Eldar Hadzimehmedovic
2 hours ago, Sir Gio said:

His over reaching knowledge of football globally,  his inside knowledge of our club, his employment by Mexico and Northern Ireland,  the trust that someone like Michael O Neill has placed in him, his ability to talk the business of football and sell our club 

It's a weird one with MacPhee. It would all feel a bit "meh" but if he'd never been at Hearts and he was a candidate now, a lot of us would be yelling to snap him up with that CV. 

17 minutes ago, davemclaren said:

Whilst I’d rather not wait six weeks for an appointment it seems a bit strange to suggest that all the ‘good’ managers will get snapped up if we don’t rush things. Managers appear on the market just as quickly as they disappear off it. 

8 minutes ago, hughesie27 said:

I've said it before but I really think people underestimate AM's value to the club.

I’ve got no idea how anyone can even begin to estimate his value to the club tbh. How do you know he does  a good job? 

Edited by GinRummy

Selkirkhmfc1874
31 minutes ago, JamboAl said:

I'll bet that every supporter in every club about to appoint a new manager will utter these self same words (with maybe a slight change from she to he).

Difference is not every club will have made the last 2 big mistakes and went so far backwards In football terms 

Guest ToqueJambo
34 minutes ago, ramrod said:

I think one of the reasons mcphee is with us is as a potential successor to Levein as an DoF or now SD. It wouldn’t be a surprise and his background makes him a very strong candidate. If he hadn’t come to us he’d be doing Malky MacKay’s role at the SFA and probably doing it much better.

Edited by ToqueJambo

1 minute ago, Selkirkhmfc1874 said:

Difference is not every club will have made the last 2 big mistakes and went so far backwards In football terms 

Another difference is that not every club has lost several key players with longish term injuries.  Even as I type we are without Haring, Washington, Souttar and Halkett who would probably be in the 1st XI while Walker and Naismith have just arrived back on the scene ( and you see the difference that made!)   If that had not happened I don't believe we would have gone so far backwards.  Do you?

9 minutes ago, GinRummy said:

I’ve got no idea how anyone can even begin to estimate his value to the club tbh. How do you know he does  a good job? 

The way he comes across, the way other speak about him, the players he has convinced to come to the club and the other roles he has/had and been linked to whilst with us.

Just now, ToqueJambo said:

If he hadn’t come to us he’d be doing Malky MacKay’s role at the SFA and probably doing it much better.

Agree with you, but talk about damning the guy with faint praise! :lol:

35 minutes ago, jamboinglasgow said:

Anyone calling for a manager to be made sporting director hasn't grasped what the role is about.

Indeed. The Sporting Director is essentially incharge of the football side budget, contracts, negotiations, transfers, head of recruitment and scouting. 

36 minutes ago, Bauld said:

They get fined more for being late than Celtic do for destroying venues across europe.

:laugh: so true

1 minute ago, hughesie27 said:

The way he comes across, the way other speak about him, the players he has convinced to come to the club and the other roles he has/had and been linked to whilst with us.

All good positive points. The most important thing is how much influence he’s had in the shambles we’ve had to suffer for most of the last three years. Some say not much influence and others reckon he’s been practically running the show. Find it difficult to make up my mind about him tbh.

1 minute ago, GinRummy said:

All good positive points. The most important thing is how much influence he’s had in the shambles we’ve had to suffer for most of the last three years. Some say not much influence and others reckon he’s been practically running the show. Find it difficult to make up my mind about him tbh.

Know what you mean, to be honest. I have stuck up for him a lot on here when folk wanted him launched because Levein wasn’t succeeding, and my point remains; let’s not do anything hasty if it means getting rid of a positive because of the failures of someone else. I don’t know though either. Just as pertinent a point to say he could be dodging a bullet because he was a big part in our failings.

I think a lot of people just want rid of everyone who was here during Levein’s tenure. I am extremely reluctant to go down that path. I’d hate to let someone good go, to pay for someone else’s mistakes.

7 minutes ago, GinRummy said:

It’s obvious to say a new SD ends McPhee’s time at Hearts I’d think. 

He’s being as professional as he can just now and I think we all appreciate that. It at least says something about his character. 

Another obvious thing to suggest would be him moving down South possibly with O’Neill.

I’d hazard a guess that AMc is staying on out of respect until we are sorted and O’Neill finishes with NI. 

Edited by Debut 4

Just now, JamboAl said:

Another difference is that not every club has lost several key players with longish term injuries.  Even as I type we are without Haring, Washington, Souttar and Halkett who would probably be in the 1st XI while Walker and Naismith have just arrived back on the scene ( and you see the difference that made!)   If that had not happened I don't believe we would have gone so far backwards.  Do you?

Even Ann Budge has seen through this feeble excuse of injuries but not you.  Your a broken record.  Aberdeen have had just as many players out this season but are still 3rd.  Most of the players you mention were available during the league cup group stages but we were still atrocious.  I know I'm wasting my time telling you this.  Its like talking to a brick wall.

1 minute ago, Icon of Symmetry said:

Know what you mean, to be honest. I have stuck up for him a lot on here when folk wanted him launched because Levein wasn’t succeeding, and my point remains; let’s not do anything hasty if it means getting rid of a positive because of the failures of someone else. I don’t know though either. Just as pertinent a point to say he could be dodging a bullet because he was a big part in our failings.

I think a lot of people just want rid of everyone who was here during Levein’s tenure. I am extremely reluctant to go down that path. I’d hate to let someone good go, to pay for someone else’s mistakes.

My initial reaction was a total clear out but my thinking was maybe a bit muddied by disappointment at how shit we were. Now I’m more of a mind that I wouldn’t like any good people to go. 

Probably all academic as I can’t see him getting the managers job and a new guy will likely look to bring in their own staff. 

It’s important to recognise that Austin had nothing to do with Levein’s match day tactics. Austin has a lot to offer as SD. I hope he gets the job.

Just now, Randy Marsh said:

Even Ann Budge has seen through this feeble excuse of injuries but not you.  Your a broken record.  Aberdeen have had just as many players out this season but are still 3rd.  Most of the players you mention were available during the league cup group stages but we were still atrocious.  I know I'm wasting my time telling you this.  Its like talking to a brick wall.

No, she acknowledged the impact of injuries, but expressed regret that despite those injuries, poor results with a large squad should have garnered better results.

5 minutes ago, Debut 4 said:

It’s obvious to say a new SD ends McPhee’s time at Hearts I’d think. 

He’s being as professional as he can just now and I think we all appreciate that. It at least says something about his character. 

Another obvious thing to suggest would be him moving down South possibly with O’Neill.

I’d hazard a guess that AMc is staying on out of respect until we are sorted and O’Neill finishes with NI. 

All sounds probable.

1 minute ago, GinRummy said:

My initial reaction was a total clear out but my thinking was maybe a bit muddied by disappointment at how shit we were. Now I’m more of a mind that I wouldn’t like any good people to go. 

Probably all academic as I can’t see him getting the managers job and a new guy will likely look to bring in their own staff. 

Where I’m at too. 

Unless he gets the SD gig.

Just now, Icon of Symmetry said:

Where I’m at too. 

Unless he gets the SD gig.

He certainly seems to have good contacts, business head and worked with youth. I’d wonder if he’d regret taking it. It’s obvious he could land a good coaching job as opposed to a behind the scenes/admin role. Depends what he wants I suppose.

Selkirkhmfc1874
25 minutes ago, JamboAl said:

Yes I do believe we would have ! When cathro took over we were 3rd in the league , 2 seasons ahead of the hobos who were still in the wee league but about 90 players later and 2 6th place finishes under levein we've failed miserably. Losing 5 nil to livvy should've been a sacking issue alone aswell as some other dreadful results along the way

Edited by Selkirkhmfc1874

Maroon Sailor
Austin MacPhee 1/1
Neil Warnock 4/1
Steve Robinson 6/1
David Moyes 8/1
Jack Ross 8/1
Felix Magath 10/1
Nigel Adkins 10/1
Roy Keane 10/1
Andy Kirk 16/1
Daniel Stendel 16/1
Mark Hughes 16/1

1 minute ago, Randy Marsh said:

Your English teacher must have felt like that too.

I am like a broken record when I respond to people who continually post the same broken record drivel.

If these injuries don't matter, would you be happy enough for us to get rid of Washington, Walker, Haring, Naismith, Halkett and Souttar for free in January as you think they haven't meant much to our form this season?

I am probably wasting my time trying to get this through to you without a hammer and chisel.

Selkirkhmfc1874
Just now, Maroon Sailor said:
Austin MacPhee 1/1
Neil Warnock 4/1
Steve Robinson 6/1
David Moyes 8/1
Jack Ross 8/1
Felix Magath 10/1
Nigel Adkins 10/1
Roy Keane 10/1
Andy Kirk 16/1
Daniel Stendel 16/1
Mark Hughes 16/1

Davie Moyes already ruled himself out so don't understand why he still on list 

It should have been ten
5 minutes ago, JamboAl said:

I am like a broken record when I respond to people who continually post the same broken record drivel.

If these injuries don't matter, would you be happy enough for us to get rid of Washington, Walker, Haring, Naismith, Halkett and Souttar for free in January as you think they haven't meant much to our form this season?

I am probably wasting my time trying to get this through to you without a hammer and chisel.

Spot on 

18 minutes ago, Randy Marsh said:

Totally agree, Al however thinks that all poor performances and results over the last couple of years can be blamed on injuries. As you say you are wasting your time using reason with him

Just now, HMFC 86 said:

Totally agree, Al however thinks that all poor performances and results over the last couple of years can be blamed on injuries. As you say you are wasting your time using reason with him

Correct.  Very odd guy.

13 minutes ago, Selkirkhmfc1874 said:

Yes I do believe we would have ! When cathro took over we were 3rd in the league , 2 seasons ahead of the hobos who were still in the wee league but about 90 players later and 2 6th place finishes under levein we've failed miserably 

You think we would have gone backwards with all these players available?    Incredible!

Just to have Naisy alone back in the team would have made a difference this season and last.

Then look at some of the posts on here after Saturday re the 2 goals lost.  Folk screaming for a CD pairing of Souttar and Halkett!

15 minutes ago, JamboAl said:

Pulling the guy up for his English. Poor form. 

1 minute ago, JamboAl said:

You think we would have gone backwards with all these players available?    Incredible!

Just to have Naisy alone back in the team would have made a difference this season and last.

Then look at some of the posts on here after Saturday re the 2 goals lost.  Folk screaming for a CD pairing of Souttar and Halkett!

Let it go, Al.  Leveins away.  

6 minutes ago, GinRummy said:

Pulling the guy up for his English. Poor form. 

When he criticises me on a personal basis (broken record) I shall feel free to criticise him.  Is that OK with you?

If he wishes to discuss the content that is fine.

kingantti1874
4 minutes ago, Debut 4 said:

Let it go, Al.  Leveins away.  

Al seems unable to separate the fact we all realise injuries have had a brutal impact and the fact we should have done better regardless.. even better if he’s had signed dross like Clare and Wighton and Vanecek

2 minutes ago, JamboAl said:

When he criticises me on a personal basis (broken record) I shall feel free to criticise him.  Is that OK with you?

If he wishes to discuss the content that is fine.

Yes it has my seal of approval. Flattered to be asked tbh.