Odds on next manager

DB-14

1 minute ago, Debut 4 said:

Not sure I fully agree.  Passing game isn’t a new thing(as you know). All you need to do is go and watch some old English first division matches with the best teams of the time and of course, some of our own football.

Watched a game recently between Liverpool and Everton. (Around 1986,87) Incredible pace to the game, touch, passing, effort....it’s all there.  Everyone pressed, it wasn’t a modern day thing.  Then you watch some Hearts games. I call it variety. Hearts could go long but the touch, perception, anticipation and the way players dealt with the ball just isn’t there in players today, certainly in our league. 

I try to love football as it comes but there’s no chance Scottish football is as good as it used to be.  

Yes, Bob Shankly, a dinosaur manager even pre 80’s and 90’,  was all about ‘pass and move’. Today’s top teams do exactly that, Barca, City, Liverpool. 

• Replies 6.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Lord Beni of Gorgie

• kingantti1874

• soonbe110

• mitch41

Lord Beni of Gorgie
22 minutes ago, soonbe110 said:

Ross and Robinson have done nothing, zero, in our league (SPFL) to justify us selecting them. Alloa, St.Mirren is night and day away from being top man at Hearts. Robinson’s record at Well is average at best and they are a bottom 6 club year after year. 
Nielson has at least had his team performing at the top end of SPFL more than once. 
Again, who are your candidates that are at the level you think we should be hiring ? 

Robinson has been to 2 cup finals. I did tell you who I would have 

Lord Beni of Gorgie
11 minutes ago, Cruyff Turn said:

Fair enough.

That’s what happens when you don’t head hunt a manager. You get the Billy Davies, Stuart McCalls and Steve Cotterills applying. 🤷🏼‍♂️

Agree with that 

3 minutes ago, soonbe110 said:

Another gross exaggeration as well as just making things up but  - answer the question - how do we attract a top league manager from England or Germany ? 

This is all you do. How do we do this and how do we do that. 

Just now, Sir Gio said:

But he lost both of them. Leveins cup record just as good. Neither won anything. 

40 minutes ago, soonbe110 said:

That’s classic kickback rubbish. Just not true whatever way you look at it. Successful, for a period, at all three clubs. Reasons for departure at Forest were transfer embargo and Owner wanting Nigel Clough. 

Finished 20th first season then 17th in the Championship 2nd season with Crystal Palace.

Left Crystal Palace for Bolton who were above them. Finished 7th with Bolton in his first season, Crystal Palace improved when he left and finished in the play offs. Then he was sacked by Bolton the following season after a bad start. 

Onto Forest where he did well early doors, new manager bounce, then won like 4 games in 22, turned in around for a wee bit, then lost a bunch of games and got sacked.

His record is utter shite and he’s achieved hee haw as a manager. 

rudi must stay
3 minutes ago, soonbe110 said:

But he lost both of them. Leveins cup record just as good. Neither won anything. 

The best thing he has to back him up was the semi final win v Rangers. Beating one of the OF in their back yard, and kicking them off the park, that's what they do to you usually and that's why it hurt Rangers so much. But he's not very experienced or a big name, McCall to me: decent experience and I think a proper manager who would be quite exciting, his Motherwell team weren't too bad with Humphreys bombing down the wing IIRC

Edited by rudi must stay

2 minutes ago, mitch41 said:

This is all you do. How do we do this and how do we do that. 

No, how would you do it?  You don’t accept that the hiring process is correct. What would you do differently and better?  Stop just criticising and start being a bit pro-active. Mrs Budge is looking for help. 

Lord Beni of Gorgie
2 minutes ago, soonbe110 said:

Levein had cash, Robinson at least inspired pish 

10 minutes ago, rudi must stay said:

I just like to have a laugh tbh. McCalls not a bad manager though and I've heard worse suggestions 

So you admit trolling for a decade? At least you're finally being honest.

rudi must stay
2 minutes ago, Flimsy said:

So you admit trolling for a decade? At least you're finally being honest.

I'm a troll one post, serious the next

David Brent style 

There's serious topics and funny ones I do gage the mood before posting 

Edited by rudi must stay

4 minutes ago, Cruyff Turn said:

Finished 20th first season then 17th in the Championship 2nd season with Crystal Palace.

Left Crystal Palace for Bolton who were above them. Finished 7th with Bolton in his first season, Crystal Palace improved when he left and finished in the play offs. Then he was sacked by Bolton the following season after a bad start. 

Onto Forest where he did well early doors, new manager bounce, then won like 4 games in 22, turned in around for a wee bit, then lost a bunch of games and got sacked.

Think your data is wrong. He left Palace who were 4th for Bolton who were 16th. Bolton finished 7th, just missed play-offs. His Palace team were promoted. 

8 minutes ago, soonbe110 said:

Think your data is wrong. He left Palace who were 4th for Bolton who were 16th. Bolton finished 7th, just missed play-offs. His Palace team were promoted. 

Perhaps. Still no good enough for Hearts. 

9 minutes ago, rudi must stay said:

I'm a troll one post, serious the next

David Brent style 

There's serious topics and funny ones I do gage the mood before posting 

David Brent was a prick who everybody laughed at behind his back, you know this right?

rudi must stay
2 minutes ago, afanderson33 said:

David Brent was a prick who everybody laughed at behind his back, you know this right?

Obviously but that's Ricky Gervais style of comedy

And I have always liked that

But I am serious sometimes, see if a candidate came up, Pressley for example, I wouldn't want him for 2 minutes, long ball merchant who we wouldn't move forward with. But all the names so far, even Caldwell, I can understand 

6 hours ago, jambobob61 said:

Too late mate! The entire Scottish game is geared towards financing the New Firm and retaining their dominance.

The games a bogey as they will not release the majority of finances disproportionately 'given' to them by the other clubs remember! 2 votes always out votes the other 10! They should have been told to Foff in the past, too late now!

Only chance would be broadcasting rights retained by the home clubs, real Hearts TV, then we might be able to generate a fair/ proportionate income instead of the majority going to Rangers BT and the blood suckers at Celtic SKY!

You only need to look at the EBC showing hours of 'the best league in the world'/ endless FA cup and wummins footie that few in Scotland are interested in paying for! Nearly as bad as the laughable STV showing England home games followed by highlights of the same match 30 minutes later!

Bring back Ernie Walker, tell the English/ SKY and BT to block transmission if a Scottish game is being played at the same time unless they pay up!

Good points 👍 I also noticed an article that said Doncaster had got a big pay rise on the back of this new tv deal. Astonishing 

The most interesting thing about this thread is that people are looking for someone who has never failed. Very few managers ever go though their career without spells of relative failure. If they do they are moving around the world's top clubs, so let's be realistic.

It strikes me that we make what should be a simple process of appointing a new manager into an unnecessarily complex and long-winded saga.

Logic dictates that we are not going to attract what might be referred to as Grade A managers of the quality of Sir Alex Ferguson, Brian Clough, Jock Stein, Arrigo Sacchi or Vicente del Bosque and that Grade B quality managers such as Jose Mourinho are entirely unaffordable.

As a club heading towards safer financial waters after the recent maelstrom of administration, we have to be honest and discount Grades C to G and start looking at potential within Grade H and below. Most of these managers are broadly of a standard that would naturally be attracted to a club of Hearts' current standing. Unfortunately that means when their CV describes them as having experience, it usually means they have experience of being sacked from a lengthy list of previous clubs for ultimately failing to achieve their set objectives. If you look at those currently quoted as showing an interest in applying for the job (Cotterill, Holloway etc), it's like reading a 'closed shop' list of the same old suspects being regurgitated over and over again. There's a reason they've gained experience at dozens of clubs - they've been sacked as failures at most of them, notwithstanding occasional odds-defying successes such as Holloway's Blackpool's promotion to the EPL!

The leftwing Cathro experiment at least challenged the status quo and who knows how it might've turned out if the powers that be allowed a similar amount of time as Alex Ferguson was afforded back in the day, or more topically, the length of time Craig Levein was charitably given despite the club's owners-in-waiting venting their displeasure?

Whoever the board decides to appoint, hopefully Stendel or similar, I will give my full backing to the team on the park - just please God not another Hearts legend in charge!    

Edited by newbie

I'm hoping the papers are just in on all the UK based coaches with their hats in the ring. Not bad candidates in terms of stature but no one to really get truely excited about.

Hopefully there is an exciting continental coach in there. Paulo Sergio model, perhaps even with a bit more pedigree. I suppose magath almost fits but maybe a younger less mad type preferably,  I live in hope .

Guest ToqueJambo
1 hour ago, Sir Gio said:

Alan Stubbs got to two cup finals and even won one. Do we want him? Craig Levein got us to 1 cup final, and if we hadn't got Celtic in the other semi it could easily have been two. It's the league that counts and Robinson has generally been poor. I'm not a Stuart Mcall fan but his record is much better than Robinsons, in England and with Motherwell.

I'd rather have Robbo or McPhee than Robinson. McPhee has more coaching experience than Robinson did when he took over at Well as caretaker initially. Robbo did very well with ICT and was decent with us for his short period in charge. Certainly promoted the attacking football we want.

1 hour ago, Hampden Demolition said:

Quite worrying if we are interviewing managers of the standard of McCall and Cotterill. Hope Ann knows whats she’s doing and potentially letting herself in for. 

Would rather we stuck with MacPhee than employ these frauds.

Think she is basing to much on her experienced manager quote.

Lord Beni of Gorgie
5 minutes ago, ToqueJambo said:

Alan Stubbs got to two cup finals and even won one. Do we want him? Craig Levein got us to 1 cup final, and if we hadn't got Celtic in the other semi it could easily have been two. It's the league that counts and Robinson has generally been poor. I'm not a Stuart Mcall fan but his record is much better than Robinsons, in England and with Motherwell.

I'd rather have Robbo or McPhee than Robinson. McPhee has more coaching experience than Robinson did when he took over at Well as caretaker initially. Robbo did very well with ICT and was decent with us for his short period in charge. Certainly promoted the attacking football we want.

I'm not mad on Robinson but he's got to be a better bet than washed up English lower League journeymen 

Lord Beni of Gorgie
32 minutes ago, newbie said:

It strikes me that we make what should be a simple process of appointing a new manager into an unnecessarily complex and long-winded saga.

Logic dictates that we are not going to attract what might be referred to as Grade A managers of the quality of Sir Alex Ferguson, Brian Clough, Jock Stein, Arrigo Sacchi or Vicente del Bosque and that Grade B quality managers such as Jose Mourinho are entirely unaffordable.

As a club heading towards safer financial waters after the recent maelstrom of administration, we have to be honest and discount Grades C to G and start looking at potential within Grade H and below. Most of these managers are broadly of a standard that would naturally be attracted to a club of Hearts' current standing. Unfortunately that means when their CV describes them as having experience, it usually means they have experience of being sacked from a lengthy list of previous clubs for ultimately failing to achieve their set objectives. If you look at those currently quoted as showing an interest in applying for the job (Cotterill, Holloway etc), it's like reading a 'closed shop' list of the same old suspects being regurgitated over and over again. There's a reason they've gained experience at dozens of clubs - they've been sacked as failures at most of them, notwithstanding occasional odds-defying successes such as Holloway's Blackpool's promotion to the EPL!

The leftwing Cathro experiment at least challenged the status quo and who knows how it might've turned out if the powers that be allowed a similar amount of time as Alex Ferguson was afforded back in the day, or more topically, the length of time Craig Levein was charitably given despite the club's owners-in-waiting venting their displeasure?

Whoever the board decides to appoint, hopefully Stendel or similar, I will give my full backing to the team on the park - just please God not another Hearts legend in charge!    

Enjoyed that post, refreshing 

6 minutes ago, vegas-voss said:

Think she is basing to much on her experienced manager quote.

Yeah we don't want experienced if they have a poor track record

2 hours ago, Hampden Demolition said:

Quite worrying if we are interviewing managers of the standard of McCall and Cotterill. Hope Ann knows whats she’s doing and potentially letting herself in for. 

Would rather we stuck with MacPhee than employ these frauds.

Quite worrying? I’d say very worrying given her lack of football knowledge. She will be taking advice & guidance from who? The members of the Board? Who else? I believe she did say who would be involved in the selection process & at the time that concerned me & still does.

47 minutes ago, tcjambo said:

The most interesting thing about this thread is that people are looking for someone who has never failed. Very few managers ever go though their career without spells of relative failure. If they do they are moving around the world's top clubs, so let's be realistic.

exactly this. 

12 minutes ago, Newton51 said:

Yeah we don't want experienced if they have a poor track record

If they’ve been around a long time (ie experienced) then they’ll have had bad spells somewhere - so we dont want that.

Then....if they haven’t been in management or only for a short time then they’re inexperienced - so we dont want that either.

Catch 22 ahead mate.

10 minutes ago, rudi must stay said:

Alot of clubs, some big names now. But they weren't when he was there 

Good record as a manager,makes you wonder why he is not with a club.

Not impressed with Cotterill or McCall if that is even true. When people were underwhelmed with the front runners in the betting we were hoping for a rabbit to be pulled out of the hat, preferably a sexy foreign rabbit! Looks like we are considering anyone and I mean anyone. I have to say on the footballing side I have serious reservations about out board's knowledge and judgement. Prepare to be disappointed I fear.

LarrysRightFoot

Spoke to a Birmingham fan who says Cotterill is their worst manager ever. Just one opinion though.

Edited by LarrysRightFoot

2 hours ago, mitch41 said:

I wonder why Stuart McCall  could get an interview when he should of been in the 

Not on your nelly list. If this is who Ann Budge is interviewing we are in trouble.

My god what is going on in her head. Has McCall said he would accept all of Levein’s

coaching staff which has got him the interview.

You really need to take a break before you do yourself a mischief. Honestly calm down

2 hours ago, The Real Maroonblood said:

If he is that good why is he still at Hearts.

By that logic Hearts could never have a good employee. 

Feeling really unenthusiastic regarding any of the names we are being linked with. I'm actually upset about both Cotterill or McCall even being mentioned. None of the names that have been thrown out there are filling me with any confidence. Theres got to be someone better out there. I wish Alex Neil was available. I don't want to see Hartley, Pressley, Daly, Robertson, Austin or anyone previously linked/ played for our club. We need a change in mentality in order to move forward. I was excited about who would come in to replace Levein however so far its been incredibly depressing stuff. And I have very little faith in Budge.

Maroon Sailor
29 minutes ago, LarrysRightFoot said:

Spoke to a Birmingham fan who says Cotterill is their worst manager ever. Just one opinion though.

They say that about all their managers

2 hours ago, Cruyff Turn said:

How did Rodgers fair at Reading?

How did Lennon fair at Bolton?

How did McInnes fair at Bristol City?

Edited by Mr Elwood P

rudi must stay
2 minutes ago, Maroon Sailor said:

They say that about all their managers

And their not wrong.

With the quality of the squad they should have done better under him and Zola

1 minute ago, Mr Elwood P said:

How did Rodgers fair at Reading?

How did Lennon fair at Bolton?

How did McInnes fair at Bristol City?

Difference being, they all did good jobs before that. Unlike Freedman who’s done nowt. Jack Ross is less of a punt than Freedman.