Glenn Whelan signs one year deal with Hearts (title updated)

Roman1874

1 minute ago, Heartsofgold said:

Nothing reported by the club yet, only a couple of regular posters saying he has.

Ah ok, I thought so.

Hope he does though.

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• BarneyBattles44

• Notts1874

• Victorian

• Morgan

Just now, upgotheheads said:

We suddenly seem to be in the middle of a panic signing frenzy. Doesn't make me feel any better.

What exactly is panicked about It?

3 minutes ago, The Old Tolbooth said:

And that's the important point that brings us all crashing back down to Earth :( 

Aye and we probably wouldn't have them if he wasn't but never mind you crack on.......

We suddenly seem to be in the middle of a panic signing frenzy. Doesn't make me feel any better.

Nor me.  Wakened with a Levein induced headache to read that we've apparently signed yet another new team in this transfer window.

What's changed?

Jambosteve1902
2 minutes ago, upgotheheads said:

panick sign frenzy? 2 of the names we're still strongly linked with been in pipeline for 2 weeks lol 

Just now, Jambosteve1902 said:

panick sign frenzy? 2 of the names we're still strongly linked with been in pipeline for 2 weeks lol 

The Japanese deal could have been being  arranged for a while too. 

The Old Tolbooth
1 minute ago, tcjambo said:

Aye and we probably wouldn't have them if he wasn't but never mind you crack on.......

Mate, if you're happy with the utter shite that he's producing on the field of play every single week, then knock yourself out champ! I'm quite happy for him to bring in these signings, and then empty him so that we have half a chance of actually doing something this season, because it won't matter a jot who we sign if Coco the clown is still in charge! 

Auld Reekin'
42 minutes ago, TheBigO said:

Will he be our first Asian player (if he signs)?

If he's the real deal, does it open a wee sales market for us, or am i getting carried away?

(I realise he won't be if he doesn't)

Possibly depends on whether you regard Asia Minor (i.e. Turkey) as being in Europe or Asia...

Regarding Olly Lee's "obviously" Asian roots, not sure what that's based on: his surname being a common one in China? As far as I know, the surname Lee in the UK points to gypsy rather than far-eastern origins*, but I might be mistaken.

(*Unless the person in question is ethnically Chinese, of course!  :smile:   )

Edited by Auld Reekin'

upgotheheads
2 minutes ago, Gav M said:

What exactly is panicked about It?

A few weeks ago we were only going to add 2 or 3 players. Now it's half a team.

AllyjamboDerbyshire
4 minutes ago, Gav M said:

My memories of juanjo are that he was either incredible or anonymous.

And he refused the beer I offered him when he was on the pitch after a preseason game in Holland in 1998/99

I get the feeling from the video that he, too, will be either incredible or anonymous, but will provide many a memorable moment over the season. Not sure if he likes a beer, though.

He doesn't look to me like a Levein type of player, more of a maverick than a worker, and Levein might have to have a system rethink if he wants to play him in his most effective role, which would probably be to get the ball and run at defenders until he either loses it or creates something.

I suspect that if we do sign him, he'll split opinion on JKB completely.

Can you count?

1 minute ago, Auld Reekin' said:

Possibly depends on whether you regard Asia Minor (i.e. Turkey) as being in Europe or Asia...

Regarding Olly Lee's "obviously" Asian roots, not sure what that's based on: his surname being a common one in China? As far as I know, the surname Lee in the UK points to gypsy rather than far-eastern origins, but I might be mistaken.

His dad is Bruce Lee.  Sure I read that.

AllyjamboDerbyshire

I think that might have been a deliberate policy, to say one thing publicly and do another when it comes to the important part, with no panic involved. Even if Levein had said he was going to sign 7 or 8, the ones we are signing now would still have been getting signed now, not a month ago.

6 minutes ago, upgotheheads said:

Send some of them back.

Auld Reekin'
Just now, TheBigO said:

His dad is Bruce Lee.  Sure I read that.

:gok:

14 minutes ago, Gav M said:

And his wife starting to follow hearts and the evening news on Twitter

On her twitter the now.

image.png.ef3e95765b30149e90c8e3280784bf75.png

3 minutes ago, upgotheheads said:

‘Late in the window, Hearts’ boss Craig Levein had the opportunity to sign out of contract Glenn Whelan and Joel Pereira on loan from Manchester United, but when asked why he declined said “Well, I didn’t want to break my word and upset upgotheheads on Jambos Kickback”.

upgotheheads is yet to comment, but is known to favour an honest manager more than better players.’

:D

1 minute ago, Pistol1874 said:

‘Late in the window, Hearts’ boss Craig Levein had the opportunity to sign out of contract Glenn Whelan and Joel Pereira on loan from Manchester United, but when asked why he declined said “Well, I didn’t want to break my word and upset upgotheheads on Jambos Kickback”.

upgotheheads is yet to comment, but is known to favour an honest manager more than better players.’

😂😂😂👍

upgotheheads

Would we be signing any one of them if we'd made even a half decent start to the season?

Looks like panic to me.

Would we be signing any one of them if we'd made even a half decent start to the season?

Looks like panic to me.

Yes, yes we would.  Maybe not the answer you wanted, but I your asking

18 minutes ago, upgotheheads said:

What during the transfer window???

1 minute ago, upgotheheads said:

Looks like panic to me.

Whelan has been in the pipeline for weeks and we have been looking for a keeper for months so not really a panic.

There’s ‘panic buys’ and there’s ‘panic buys’.

An established international with over 80 caps for his country and an on-loan goalkeeper from Manchester United, do not qualify as ‘panic buys’.

In my opinion.

7 minutes ago, upgotheheads said:

Looks like panic to me.

Surely adding quality to a squad that required it no matter how we started the season isn't panic buying, especially as we're no where near the end of the transfer window and the majority of the deals seem to have been being worked on for some time. Add to that the fact that certain quality players only become available after the English window (prem and champ) closes, then I'm really struggling to see how we are panicking

Eddie The Eagle
On 09/08/2019 at 17:17, Inch Hearts said:

No bother mate.  He won’t be signing.

If he does I’ll leave Kickback. 

On 09/08/2019 at 17:19, Gashauskis9 said:

This could get awkward as Eddie said he’d quit kickback if Whelan didn’t sign 😦😦😦

tenor.gif

9 minutes ago, upgotheheads said:

Looks like panic to me.

If you accept that these players will improve our squad, you may not of course, then I honestly can’t think of a scenario where we’d turn down affordable players of their calibre. 

19 minutes ago, upgotheheads said:

Panic buying now, all because Levein said we’d only bring in a couple? I’m reminded of the exchange we had an hour or so @siegementality 🤔 

1 minute ago, Eddie The Eagle said:

tenor.gif

Great stuff Eddie.  You got there in the end 👏👏👏.

Inch Hearts a goner then?

Edited by Gashauskis9

13 minutes ago, upgotheheads said:

Looks like panic to me.

We should panic buy ( seemingly ) better players more often imo. 

BarneyBattles44
40 minutes ago, johnthomas said:

No idea what you are trying to say ?

It's hardly last minute seeing as Scottish window for loans doesn't close till early September

upgotheheads
3 minutes ago, Gav M said:

Surely adding quality to a squad that required it no matter how we started the season isn't panic buying, especially as we're no where near the end of the transfer window and the majority of the deals seem to have been being worked on for some time. Add to that the fact that certain quality players only become available after the English window (prem and champ) closes, then I'm really struggling to see how we are panicking

If you accept that these players will improve our squad, you may not of course, then I honestly can’t think of a scenario where we’d turn down affordable players of their calibre. 

Sure, I'm always happy to see us signing quality, and let's hope that is what we're doing. But I'd rather we were doing it from a position of strength rather than where we are at the moment. Nobody has been more supportive of CL than me over the years but frankly that performance on Saturday  took the biscuit, and it wasn't a one-off.

BarneyBattles44
6 minutes ago, Eddie The Eagle said:

tenor.gif

ITK or not ITK is the question.

BarneyBattles44
1 minute ago, upgotheheads said:

Sure, I'm always happy to see us signing quality, and let's hope that is what we're doing. But I'd rather we were doing it from a position of strength rather than where we are at the moment. Nobody has been more supportive of CL than me over the years but frankly that performance on Saturday  took the biscuit, and it wasn't a one-off.

Lay off Craig Levein.

The Wrinkly Ninja
Just now, Lovecraft said:

Yas, Whelan signing and Inch Hearts quitting KB.

It's a twoofer.

Will Inch Hearts need to run it by upgotheheads before going to verify he / she isn’t just panic quitting?

23 minutes ago, The Old Tolbooth said:

Mate, if you're happy with the utter shite that he's producing on the field of play every single week, then knock yourself out champ! I'm quite happy for him to bring in these signings, and then empty him so that we have half a chance of actually doing something this season, because it won't matter a jot who we sign if Coco the clown is still in charge! 

I am not happy with what I saw on Saturday and other days but I still believe we can turn it around as I can see we are building long term. Continuity is incredibly important at any club. Too many fans simply have no patience and most have never built a business or anything else so I wouldn't expect them to in one way.

I understand the frustrations but it would be mental to "empty" a manger having brought these players in - only a simpleton sees things in these terms. Apart from anything else it would be very costly and disruptive.

Nevertheless, I  expect us to have improved quite substantially by the end of October or I would expect Levein to step down and someone else  take over. If we do improve into a top four position I still expect he will go back to DoF role at the end of the season anyway.

Club chases a player for weeks.

Weeks before the transfer deadline.

Panic buy according to some brain doners on here.

Eddie The Eagle
On 09/08/2019 at 17:02, Inch Hearts said:

Whelan has turned hearts down, officially. More to come after 6pm 👍. Judasd for another English side. 

On 09/08/2019 at 17:17, Inch Hearts said:

No bother mate.  He won’t be signing.

If he does I’ll leave Kickback. 

On 09/08/2019 at 17:16, Inch Hearts said:

Stv reporter.

Gave his word and tracked back. 

Screenshot_2019-08-05-14-52-40.jpg.1843ba09705ee8d25afe2173c7ba068a.jpg

heartandsoul
40 minutes ago, The Old Tolbooth said:

Spot on

13 minutes ago, Gashauskis9 said:

Great stuff Eddie.  You got there in the end 👏👏👏.

Inch Hearts a goner then?

Hope not, think we would struggle to replace his hatred of Levein on this board 😎

heartandsoul
21 minutes ago, Morgan said:

There’s ‘panic buys’ and there’s ‘panic buys’.

An established international with over 80 caps for his country and an on-loan goalkeeper from Manchester United, do not qualify as ‘panic buys’.

In my opinion.

This

6 minutes ago, Mr Rabbit said:

Hope not, think we would struggle to replace his hatred of Levein on this board 😎

The Old Tollboth can take on the role now that he hates Levein this season.  ;) 

22 minutes ago, Lovecraft said:

Yas, Whelan signing and Inch Hearts quitting KB.

It's a twoofer.

Looks like Eddie didn’t flinch an inch and kept his heed. 

1 minute ago, Heartsofgold said:

**** me is this guy signing or not???  He's now trained twice with the team.

by sounds of it the guy has already signed but not been announced as of yet. expect it tonight/Tomorrow

2 minutes ago, Heartsofgold said:

**** me is this guy signing or not???  He's now trained twice with the team.

Haggling with Hearts. Wants to stay in a Premier Inn instead of Travel Lodge on his journey up to train a couple of times a week.

Premier Inn a tenner extra a night. 

• davemclaren locked this topic