Glenn Whelan signs one year deal with Hearts (title updated)

Roman1874

3 hours ago, Kiwidoug said:

If this bloke plays as well as he talks he'll be sensational.  He's been talking for weeks.

:lol: 

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• BarneyBattles44

• Notts1874

• Victorian

• Morgan

Tenaciousdandy
1 minute ago, euan 10 said:

Why do hearts take so long to get deals done. Sign whelan or tell him sign by this day or deal off move on to someone else before we lose him like we did with Bryson 

deal done according to a few of the reliable ITK folk on here, so will hopefully get announced today at some point 

1 minute ago, euan 10 said:

Why do hearts take so long to get deals done. Sign whelan or tell him sign by this day or deal off move on to someone else before we lose him like we did with Bryson 

Yeah, no other teams take ages to sign players. Harry Maguire signing completed in under 24 hours, I believe. Hearts are a shambles eh?

4 minutes ago, euan 10 said:

They've already explained why this one is taking so long. Whelan's family don't want to move up here so he has to think about it, see the city etc. It's not as simple as a young lad with just a girlfriend moving here. 

The one thing I don't like though is how everyone of our deals are public now. There was a time where we just announced guys.

Now there seems to be someone leaking info on targets which gets everyones hopes up. 

Dallas Green
34 minutes ago, upgotheheads said:

Given the amount of money we’ve invested in the football team during that time, that is an alarming situation.

That's some mighty grasping at straws.

Dallas Green
8 minutes ago, euan 10 said:

You have no idea how deals, contracts or business decisions are made, do you?

1 hour ago, JamboAl said:

But the thread is about GLENN WHELAN

Take your CL opinion to the proper thread

He's all over the place

AllyjamboDerbyshire
Just now, Dallas Green said:

You have no idea how deals, contracts or business decisions are made, do you?

You mean it's not just a case of smiling at a player, telling him what you propose to pay him, then saying 'we've got a lovely training ground, and our fans never complain, so take it or leave it'? Well I never.

7 minutes ago, jambobob61 said:

Hope Whelan can make a decision quicker on the pitch or he might fit in with the current players too well!

Not wanting to get into all the Levein stuff but if we did sign Whelan it would add extra leadership ON the park. Berra, Naisy and Whelan would surely help with things like game management, decision making etc. 

Overall my impression is there is more money going into the first team. Which we said would happen with stand being paid off etc. 

Or it's all Maluery Martin's wages. 

Dallas Green
5 minutes ago, AllyjamboDerbyshire said:

You mean it's not just a case of smiling at a player, telling him what you propose to pay him, then saying 'we've got a lovely training ground, and our fans never complain, so take it or leave it'? Well I never.

I know. I was shocked I tell you. Shocked.

19 minutes ago, Dandyman79 said:

deal done according to a few of the reliable ITK folk on here, so will hopefully get announced today at some point 

Like any other profession, moving for employment does need to be considered especially if you have teenage children going through exams.  I fully empathize, as for years I worked abroad and my family travelled with me, however I had major decisions to make for my last move as we decided that my wife & kids would stay home in Scotland for my kids to complete their schooling.   

Edinburgh is a beautiful city to work/live but does not necessarily meet the personal requirements of a guy based in the midlands, he may finally decide on a club closer to home for less money than being offered by Hearts, although maintaining his international status would come into his decision making.   

If Whelan does sign then his decision was not made in haste.

Edited by Tasavallan

The Wrinkly Ninja
58 minutes ago, upgotheheads said:

https://www.edinburghnews.scotsman.com/sport/football/hearts/latest-hearts-news/gary-mackay-i-don-t-see-anyone-being-held-accountable-for-this-ongoing-malaise-at-hearts-1-4982888

I know that Gary Mackay maybe has an axe to grind with CL but most of this is undeniable.

But I'm still hoping that this latest round of signings is the answer.

Panic post IMHO

5 minutes ago, jambobob61 said:

Sorry but watched Berra carefully on Saturday and 2nd half he was blowing out his erse trying to attack and then get back but was verbally nonexistent! There was no onfield leader at all!

Well fair enough. He's captain though and I think you get what I mean. 

Naismith and Whelan together in there can surely only be a good thing. The main point I'm making is that people might not be happy with leadership off the park but this signing might help it improve on it.

1 hour ago, upgotheheads said:

https://www.edinburghnews.scotsman.com/sport/football/hearts/latest-hearts-news/gary-mackay-i-don-t-see-anyone-being-held-accountable-for-this-ongoing-malaise-at-hearts-1-4982888

I know that Gary Mackay maybe has an axe to grind with CL but most of this is undeniable.

There's a whole thread already denying it. 

"They don't know what they're doing" 

Tenaciousdandy
4 minutes ago, Tasavallan said:

Like any other profession, moving for employment does need to be considered especially if you have teenage children going through exams.  I fully empathize, as for years I worked abroad and my family travelled with me, however I had major decisions to make for my last move as we decided that my wife & kids would stay home in Scotland for my kids to complete their schooling.   

Edinburgh is a beautiful city to work/live but does not necessarily meet the personal requirements of a guy based in the midlands, he may finally decide on a club closer to home for less money than being offered by Hearts, although maintaining his international status would come into his decision making.   

If Whelan does sign then it was not made in haste.

I completely agree Tasavallan, as i family man myself you have to weigh all your options and do what is best for you and your family as a whole, i was pointing out that a few of the more reliable ITK  said yesterday that the deal is was done. personally i really hope it is the case and we sign him up on a 1 year deal with the option to extend as i think he would settle the defence and midfield nerves with his hold up and breaking of the oppositions play 

TweedbankJambo

I've just joined this forum a few weeks ago, been a jambo for 35yrs and always will be, I'm going to get stick for this but this place is an ego war.. Chill folks, we all have an opinion, no need to be putting people down for theirs. We all have something in common after all. 🙄

3 minutes ago, TweedbankJambo said:

I've just joined this forum a few weeks ago, been a jambo for 35yrs and always will be, I'm going to get stick for this but this place is an ego war.. Chill folks, we all have an opinion, no need to be putting people down for theirs. We all have something in common after all. 🙄

totally agree

Not breaking news but he’s out training again today.  

Surely to **** going to be announced before the game on Friday?🤪🧐

...a bit disco
13 minutes ago, TweedbankJambo said:

Indeed.

But some of these posters are not like the others!

Unknown user
16 minutes ago, TweedbankJambo said:

Mine's bigger than yours. 

HillmanHearts
8 minutes ago, Debut 4 said:

Well he would a break from all the talking :smile:

13 minutes ago, Debut 4 said:

You no got a camera on yer phone? 

5 minutes ago, Sagan said:

You no got a camera on yer phone? 

Nokia 3310 perhaps.

Absolute Scenes
21 minutes ago, Debut 4 said:

I confirm this,mate that works in Oriam says he's there too, said he waved at him in the corridor

Byyy The Light
1 hour ago, euan 10 said:

Can you expand on the Bryson stuff? Be good to hear some inside info on that.

Edited by Byyy The Light

Lord Beni of Gorgie
1 hour ago, upgotheheads said:

Given the amount of money we’ve invested in the football team during that time, that is an alarming situation.

So to stay relevant, you need to explain why signing Whelan is wrong, otherwise this is just noise

38 minutes ago, TweedbankJambo said:

Welcome.  Agreed, I just tend to ignore those that irritate me rather than rising to the bate.   There is many a numpty on here that gets pleasure from being contrary.    

3 minutes ago, Tasavallan said:

Welcome.  Agreed, I just tend to ignore those that irritate me rather than rising to the bate.   There is many a numpty on here that gets pleasure from being contrary.    

No there isn't 😉

2 hours ago, Nookie Bear said:

This guy will be due a testimonial soon.

Very funny......made me laugh cheers

Can't say I remember seeing Whelan play but just to point out the senior citizen recruitment model has not gone well.  Hughes, Cowie and MacLean all dreadful for Hearts.

Do the management not trust in the £4m academy.   If the players coming through are any good they need games.  Look at MacArthur and McCarthy at Hamilton.

...a bit disco
12 minutes ago, Tasavallan said:

The...bate?

🍆

2 minutes ago, Bighenry said:

A good sign he’s training, I would say

He's being over-coached most probably.

Dallas Green
7 minutes ago, Coco said:

Can't say I remember seeing Whelan play but just to point out the senior citizen recruitment model has not gone well.  Hughes, Cowie and MacLean all dreadful for Hearts.

Do the management not trust in the £4m academy.   If the players coming through are any good they need games.  Look at MacArthur and McCarthy at Hamilton.

Cowie was not dreadful.

Unknown user
3 minutes ago, Victorian said:

He's being over-coached most probably.

Well we have so many coaches apparently. It's obvious, fire some coaches, rocket up the league. 

37 minutes ago, Barack said:

Shout at him! You know you want to.

Shouted at me first to tell me to **** off. Looks hard as nails. 

4 minutes ago, Dallas Green said:

Cowie was not dreadful.

Neither, maybe more arguably, has McLean been.  Even Hughes was by no mean 'dreadful' just not the player we'd all hoped he'd be.

2 hours ago, upgotheheads said:

Gary MacKay is spot on and if Levein and Gary aren’t best pals so what. When Gary has something 

in the paper the Levein lovers come on and have a go at Gary and to be honest Gary does get it 

right as he is a fan first. No one person can say Gary’s piece in the paper is not accurate.

Dallas Green
6 minutes ago, mitch41 said:

Gary MacKay is spot on and if Levein and Gary aren’t best pals so what. When Gary has something 

in the paper the Levein lovers come on and have a go at Gary and to be honest Gary does get it 

right as he is a fan first. No one person can say Gary’s piece in the paper is not accurate.

His part about only using young lads to make it seem like the academy is working is not accurate. 

So there you go. 

3 minutes ago, mitch41 said:

Mitch, 

As far as I know, Mackay got the basics completely wrong in his latest article. 

1. FoH money hasn’t been spent on the team or coaching, not one penny

2. Gary Naysmith hasn’t been hired as a coach

3. Gary Naysmith role is part-time so hardly a bank account buster. 

4. There was already someone in the loans management role so it’s not a new position. 

Id have thought even you with your Levein/Budge doing good blinkers on would have spotted that. 

• davemclaren locked this topic