Glenn Whelan signs one year deal with Hearts (title updated)

Roman1874

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• BarneyBattles44

• Notts1874

• Victorian

• Morgan

3 minutes ago, Dandyman79 said:

It's been a terrific window, i think with the addition of the new keeper on loan and whelan (when he signs) to strengthen the gap between defence and attack we will improve massively

Absolutely.  Well, if we use Whelan properly.  Play 433 or similar, with him in there to give us shape and protection, Damour to give us energy and another with maybe some creativity, so Walker, Clare, Cochrane or Irving and we look very good.  Any from Naismith, Washington, Uche, Keena, Mulraney ahead of them all absolute nuisances in their own ways.

I just can't see past that being a great set up.

If we play 3 at the back or 442, it won't work.  That's been proven already.  Whelan doesn't allow us to now play those systems.

2 minutes ago, Fort Vallance said:

Have to admit I was a bit disappointed when Levein suggested he would only bring in 3 or possibly 4. I thought we lacked quality in quite a few places so looking more positive now. I expect he'll get pelters for saying one thing and doing another but it's more down to availability.

I wasn't too worried with 3 or 4 signings as I honestly didn't think our squad was so bad (with everyone fit!).  But what we've actually done in the market is superb, so all the better.

We'' hopefully all forget about Haring and Souttar and when they both come back, it'll be like even more signings.

Very good transfer window. Pretty much every problem position resolved with a player of decent pedigree. Can’t complain whatsoever 

Just need to work out how they play together now....

Captain Sausage

If the city boy joins too, I genuinely think we have the players for 3rd place. It’s squarely down to Levein to make it happen. 

No more excuses. 

5 minutes ago, TheBigO said:

He may not fail bud.  He may not.  As I've said, let's hold our gnashing until after league game 5.  That's home to Montherwell mid Sept and he'll have had the int break to work with squad.  Excuses run out there I'd suggest.

I can handle that long for a final judgement one way or the other. The players need to get their fighting heads on, with a bit of fire in their bellies I suggest. We all know some players need a rocket up their a**, and some require an arm around the shoulder. We need to find a solution quickly though, before it gets to the point of no return. 

The Old Tolbooth
9 minutes ago, Captain Sausage said:

If the city boy joins too, I genuinely think we have the players for 3rd place. It’s squarely down to Levein to make it happen. 

No more excuses. 

We definitely do, but Levein is nowhere near the man to lead us forward, even with a budget the size of Celtic's, he'd somehow finish mid table! 

Oh, and welcome aboard Glen Whelan :) 

18 hours ago, Jodami said:

Team crying out for creativity, pace and goals - we are signing a 35 year old defensive holding midfielder. Not suggesting he has not been a very fine player, played at the highest level and is a model professional, just wonder if it's what we really need. 

Couldn't agree more. Not saying Whelan wouldn't be a good signing, but we really do need a creative midfielder.Have done for a good while now.

Hackney Hearts
19 minutes ago, Barack said:

Mrs. Whelan soon to be announced.

We've just won 24-0, do we really need her?  Who do we drop FFS?

Stephen Muddie
Just now, Hackney Hearts said:

We've just won 24-0, do we really need her?  Who do we drop FFS?

Whelo's wife in for Doyle in the men's team. Definite keeper and good handling.

BarneyBattles44
25 minutes ago, Notts1874 said:

Done deal.....eventually.

I dont know your track record as ITK  i saw you were onto Whelan early the cryptic manchester - Belgium you got Joel. Also Damour and Meshino. Probably missed any others. Well done Notts. Respect

heartandsoul
4 minutes ago, BarneyBattles44 said:

I dont know your track record as ITK  i saw you were onto Whelan early the cryptic manchester - Belgium you got Joel. Also Damour and Meshino. Probably missed any others. Well done Notts. Respect

Notts is always the man for the good info.

Jambosteve1902

couple friends of mine follow city intently and they've all bigged this japanese boy up something stinking so im quite excited ! 

Another manager on the field can only help. Slightly concerned with the lack of legs in the team but hey, I'm sure Craig knows what he's doing. 

3 minutes ago, Jambosteve1902 said:

couple friends of mine follow city intently and they've all bigged this japanese boy up something stinking so im quite excited ! 

Needs to go to Celtic to be sure of a work permit though. 

BarneyBattles44
Just now, heartandsoul said:

Notts is always the man for the good info.

He's earned trust and respect. No tin of beans is safe when Notts is about. I say that in high regard. 

Jambosteve1902
Just now, Mikey1874 said:

Needs to go to Celtic to be sure of a work permit though. 

from what i've heard this was pre-sorted by city and if he agrees things with us on a personal scale its all but done.

12 minutes ago, BarneyBattles44 said:

I just know a man who knows a man.

Will he be our first Asian player (if he signs)?

If he's the real deal, does it open a wee sales market for us, or am i getting carried away?

(I realise he won't be if he doesn't)

3 minutes ago, Jambosteve1902 said:

from what i've heard this was pre-sorted by city and if he agrees things with us on a personal scale its all but done.

Interesting 

8 minutes ago, Jambosteve1902 said:

dbl

Edited by TheBigO

Jambosteve1902
Just now, TheBigO said:

Will he be our first Asian player (if he signs)?

If he's the real deal, does it open a wee sales market for us, or am i getting carried away?

(I realise he won't be if he doesn't)

i seen a similar question asked recently, i can't think of any in my 20 years watching since i was  old enough but then i dont know! 

BarneyBattles44
7 minutes ago, johnthomas said:

Typical , we're the only club making last minute signings .

Oh.......

Hearts won't be last in the queue early september. Put more effort into your next post.

1 minute ago, Jambosteve1902 said:

i seen a similar question asked recently, i can't think of any in my 20 years watching since i was  old enough but then i dont know! 

Na I can't think of any.  I wonder if maybe a kid on the books at some point who never played maybe?  I'm thinking the lad would be our first.  Pretty cool.

Olly Lee obviously has Asian roots, but that's the only one I can think of.

BarneyBattles44
5 minutes ago, Notts1874 said:

I just know a man who knows a man.

You put a lot of effort into being ITK. Good Lad

Eddie get a load of forks and plates lots of humble pie to be eaten soon me thinks......

BarneyBattles44
6 minutes ago, Eddie The Eagle said:

We are waiting on a work permit for Meshino 

We may be waiting on Man City getting one and us as part of it. Ask Notts.

24 minutes ago, Jambosteve1902 said:

Really hope this is the case. His finishing (and all round touch) impressed me on the yt video (I know, I know) and if City have seen something in him then I’m sure he’d bring something to the table. 

If we got him, allied to Whelan and the rest of our transfer business,  I’d almost allow myself to become optimistic about our chances this year. Just for a second though...and then I’d remember Levein was still in charge 🙄

4 minutes ago, jtkb said:

Eddie get a load of forks and plates lots of humble pie to be eaten soon me thinks......

Why? It was widely reported from other posters and in the media that we were after him and offered him a 1 year deal.

Eddie stated, categorically, that he had signed nearly two weeks ago. That was not true.

Jambosteve1902

PERRERA 

SMITH  SOUTTAR  HALKETT HICKEY

DAMOUR WHELAN

MOSHINO  NAISMITH  CLARE

WASHINGTON.

Loving look of that ^, i know people will say oh clare lol hows he in your team but IMO he offers ALOT more than Walker does. and this gives us so many options aswell for rotations with Uche Mulraney McDonald etc.  anyone who doesnt get excited by that team confuses me! ^^ 

21 minutes ago, BarneyBattles44 said:

Hearts won't be last in the queue early september. Put more effort into your next post.

No idea what you are trying to say ?

1 minute ago, DC_92 said:

Why? It was widely reported from other posters and in the media that we were after him and offered him a 1 year deal.

Eddie stated, categorically, that he had signed nearly two weeks ago. That was not true.

Yup. Was "definitely" being announced that day too :lol:

Clerry Jambo
2 minutes ago, Jambosteve1902 said:

PERRERA 

SMITH  SOUTTAR  HALKETT HICKEY

DAMOUR WHELAN

MOSHINO  NAISMITH  CLARE

WASHINGTON.

Loving look of that ^, i know people will say oh clare lol hows he in your team but IMO he offers ALOT more than Walker does. and this gives us so many options aswell for rotations with Uche Mulraney McDonald etc.  anyone who doesnt get excited by that team confuses me! ^^ 

How the hell is Clare in the team...................

Anyway welcome Glenn

AllyjamboDerbyshire
2 minutes ago, Mr Sifter said:

Really hope this is the case. His finishing (and all round touch) impressed me on the yt video (I know, I know) and if City have seen something in him then I’m sure he’d bring something to the table. 

If we got him, allied to Whelan and the rest of our transfer business,  I’d almost allow myself to become optimistic about our chances this year. Just for a second though...and then I’d remember Levein was still in charge 🙄

Reminded me a bit of what Juanjo might have looked like on YouTube. I've always been glad we signed him, some great moments. Though he could blow hot and cold, he was a genuine entertainer.

David McCaig
27 minutes ago, Jambosteve1902 said:

Does Singapore's Ryan Edwards count?

1 minute ago, AllyjamboDerbyshire said:

Reminded me a bit of what Juanjo might have looked like on YouTube. I've always been glad we signed him, some great moments. Though he could blow hot and cold, he was a genuine entertainer.

My memories of juanjo are that he was either incredible or anonymous.

And he refused the beer I offered him when he was on the pitch after a preseason game in Holland in 1998/99

Jambosteve1902
3 minutes ago, Clerry Jambo said:

How the hell is Clare in the team...................

Anyway welcome Glenn

id have clare in my team in attacking areas all day long tbh :) 

The Old Tolbooth
9 minutes ago, Mr Sifter said:

And that's the important point that brings us all crashing back down to Earth :( 

Heartsofgold
Just now, Mr Kipling said:

Has Glenn Whelan signed?

Nothing reported by the club yet, only a couple of regular posters saying he has.

1 minute ago, Heartsofgold said:

Nothing reported by the club yet, only a couple of regular posters saying he has.

And his wife starting to follow hearts and the evening news on Twitter

• davemclaren locked this topic