Glenn Whelan signs one year deal with Hearts (title updated)

Roman1874

Ernie Eskilsson
15 hours ago, Victorian said:

Has he,  aye?     Three years with this season's signings?     You're not the brightest ML but you've taken the biscuit by missing the specific point,  despite it having been typed in capitals.

I would draw you a picture but you would probably look at the wrong side of the paper.

How many signings had he made since he has been manager and how many has the club made since he started his 5 year plan as DOF? Draw me that picture...

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• BarneyBattles44

• Notts1874

• Victorian

• Morgan

fabienleclerq
8 minutes ago, graygo said:

Just trying to get the most off topic thread back on track here.

Any chance of him signing today?

No! 

The point is (if the point of a discussion is still pertinent) is that this season's signings may well pay dividends and improve the performance of the team as a whole.    They might not of course.    It may very well be that these are the right players but the manager has gone beyond the point of no return.    He doesn't have a lot of time to get something out of them.     A few weeks rather than months.

fabienleclerq
10 minutes ago, Victorian said:

The point is (if the point of a discussion is still pertinent) is that this season's signings may well pay dividends and improve the performance of the team as a whole.    They might not of course.    It may very well be that these are the right players but the manager has gone beyond the point of no return.    He doesn't have a lot of time to get something out of them.     A few weeks rather than months.

He's used up any good will he has and needed to start the season well. We stuttered through a group of lower league teams, losing to East Fife on route. He's not won either league game so far and we have Motherwell then Celtic away do you think we will won either? His times up. 

1 minute ago, fabienleclerq said:

He's used up any good will he has and needed to start the season well. We stuttered through a group of lower league teams, losing to East Fife on route. He's not won either league game so far and we have Motherwell then Celtic away do you think we will won either? His times up. 

Probably.    It looks grim for him unless he gets an immediate bounce.

The nature of his 'departure' is the next thing.     If he goes then most people will want a total departure.      That aint necessarily going to happen though.    

fabienleclerq
1 minute ago, Victorian said:

Probably.    It looks grim for him unless he gets an immediate bounce.

The nature of his 'departure' is the next thing.     If he goes then most people will want a total departure.      That aint necessarily going to happen though.    

I'm not sure, I think most are happy with his work outside the first team. I'd be happy to have him upstairs but a new man in charge. 

19 minutes ago, Victorian said:

Agree with this. I am a huge supporter of Levein but he only has a few weeks to show improvement or he has to go. In fact, if we lose to Motherwell on friday, that could be the final straw. Be a huge shame to see him sacked but the club is bigger than any one man

25 minutes ago, Victorian said:

Agreed. 

He might be looking to make Whelan an improved offer to buy himself a few weeks.   Ann Budge may well allow him this but be telling him that she's provided all she can for him.

Davie HEARTS
38 minutes ago, XB52 said:

Agree with this. I am a huge supporter of Levein but he only has a few weeks to show improvement or he has to go. In fact, if we lose to Motherwell on friday, that could be the final straw. Be a huge shame to see him sacked but the club is bigger than any one man

40 minutes ago, graygo said:

FFS. Take it to the Levein's time is up thread.

Agreed. Dont know why he's warbling on about it here. Back on topic, I don't think Whelan will sign due to the malaise surrounding the club. I hear hibs are after him too though.

17 minutes ago, Davie HEARTS said:

Agreed. Dont know why he's warbling on about it here. Back on topic, I don't think Whelan will sign due to the malaise surrounding the club. I hear hibs are after him too though.

Folk go on about OUR scouting system Theirs appears to be ours :-)

Davie HEARTS
5 minutes ago, Jamhammer said:

Folk go on about OUR scouting system Theirs appears to be ours 🙂

Ken. What are they like!!!!

30 minutes ago, Davie HEARTS said:

News just in.

They've been horsed 6-1 by The Rangers and the Hobos are wanting rid of their new manager already. 

Malaise you say? 

1 minute ago, iainmac said:

News just in.

They've been horsed 6-1 by The Rangers and the Hobos are wanting rid of their new manager already. 

Malaise you say? 

‘Malaise’ is an odd choice of word. It suggests deep-rooted issues within the club, more reminiscent of the Romanov era than the last few years.

Personally I’m happy with how things are off the field, but they definitely need improvement on it. I can’t see how a run of poor league form would put Whelan off.

Just now, Doc Rob said:

‘Malaise’ is an odd choice of word. It suggests deep-rooted issues within the club, more reminiscent of the Romanov era than the last few years.

Personally I’m happy with how things are off the field, but they definitely need improvement on it. I can’t see how a run of poor league form would put Whelan off.

It wouldn't. 

Davie HEARTS
6 minutes ago, iainmac said:

News just in.

Malaise you say? 

Hibs manager has had far less time but his win percentage is approx 50%. Our current manager is in his 3rd season now and his win ratio is on a par with one of the worst managers we've ever had. I've seen many a hearts team get thrashed by one of the old firm. Has the new Hibs manager overseen such a terrible result as lets say, a 5-0 beating from Livingston? There is your answer.

On 10/08/2019 at 18:47, Cygnet said:

We need more creativity and Whelan is not going to bring us that, regardless of how good a defensive midfielder he may be.  

Correct.

12 minutes ago, Davie HEARTS said:

Hibs manager has had far less time but his win percentage is approx 50%. Our current manager is in his 3rd season now and his win ratio is on a par with one of the worst managers we've ever had. I've seen many a hearts team get thrashed by one of the old firm. Has the new Hibs manager overseen such a terrible result as lets say, a 5-0 beating from Livingston? There is your answer.

He has now.

17 minutes ago, JamboAl said:

You know something?

No, not at all but this will be more about contract terms & conditions / family considerations than whatever firm we happen to be in. 

The suggestion that he's going to Hibs is laughable. 

2 minutes ago, iainmac said:

No, not at all but this will be more about contract terms & conditions / family considerations than whatever firm we happen to be in. 

Thanks Iain

28 minutes ago, Davie HEARTS said:

So you think everything is hunky dory at Easter Road & GW will go there as a result? 

Laughable. 

I happened to come across some comments from Hibs fans on the evening news Facebook and trust me they are not happy with the manager and his signings

1 minute ago, bazman said:

I happened to come across some comments from Hibs fans on the evening news Facebook and trust me they are not happy with the manager and his signings

Wrong thread and club matey....it literally has feck all to do with us....

Davie HEARTS
2 minutes ago, iainmac said:

So you think everything is hunky dory at Easter Road & GW will go there as a result? 

Laughable. 

Lol wut?? All i said was that hibs were after him, I didn't say he would go there. I believe he has other options down south too.

My point was when we were getting beaten 6-0, 5-0 etc at parkhead i don't remember folk calling for the managers head then as our results against the rest of the league were much better than now. Theres a defeatist attitude amongst parts of the support that we expect to get beat in glasgow. Whats not acceptable is getting destroyed 5-0 against Livingston. You cant compare the 2. Please read the post before jumping in feet first with a "laughable" response.

Davie HEARTS
15 minutes ago, iainmac said:

Twice aye!! 😂😂

Soapy Soutar
10 minutes ago, bazman said:

At this moment in time i couldnt give a toss about hibs

Soapy Soutar
10 minutes ago, Davie HEARTS said:

Lol wut?? All i said was that hibs were after him, I didn't say he would go there. I believe he has other options down south too.

My point was when we were getting beaten 6-0, 5-0 etc at parkhead i don't remember folk calling for the managers head then as our results against the rest of the league were much better than now. Theres a defeatist attitude amongst parts of the support that we expect to get beat in glasgow. Whats not acceptable is getting destroyed 5-0 against Livingston. You cant compare the 2. Please read the post before jumping in feet first with a "laughable" response.

Not just glasgow..aberdeen,perth,hamilton,paisley and for many now even edinburgh.

If whelan decides to come to scotland it will be to hearts despite whatever interest hibs may have

Ernie Eskilsson

Whelan is a good player I think but I’m wondering what our development strategy is for Irving, Cochran and Smith when we could have Haring, Clare, Damour and Whelan. It suggests to me that Levein plays the youngsters only as a last resort and that there’s no development plan for them.

30 minutes ago, iainmac said:

Indeed. We must be keeping him fit until he signs for them. 😉

13 minutes ago, Davie HEARTS said:

Read your own post! 

You said that Whelan wouldn't sign for us due to the malaise at the club, conveniently forgetting that there's been a malaise at Easter Road since long before Lennon departed. 

Ergo, if he's not signing for us "due to the malaise at the club"......... 

Dagger Is Back
40 minutes ago, iainmac said:

At this stage in his career probably made enough money to see him through.

Family is a major factor in making life decisions for most of us if not all. GW isn’t any different. They go through the same situations as the rest of us

29 minutes ago, Ernie Eskilsson said:

Whelan is a good player I think but I’m wondering what our development strategy is for Irving, Cochran and Smith when we could have Haring, Clare, Damour and Whelan. It suggests to me that Levein plays the youngsters only as a last resort and that there’s no development plan for them.

So, are you saying we shouldn't sign Whelan?

Seymour M Hersh
1 hour ago, iainmac said:

News just in.

Malaise you say? 

Maybe he meant mayonnaise.

33 minutes ago, Ernie Eskilsson said:

Perhaps that is the strategy...ie have a much more experienced, reliable first pick midfield...and then introduce the younger guys gradually, subs appearances, the odd start...not just throw them in because we have no option.

Catch 22...pitch them in and lose and it’s “you can’t win anything with kids”...play more experienced guys and it’s then “where’s our development strategy “

wheatfield to sheffield
2 hours ago, Horatio Caine said:

So, any news on the Whelan signing front?  Or is this the wrong thread?

Just around the next corner.

When at Villa Whelan played in a midfield containing Grealish and McGinn , I'm struggling with who fills these more creative roles at Hearts rather than whether Whelan is a good performer.

1 hour ago, GavK1012 said:

Wrong thread and club matey....it literally has feck all to do with us....

I was only just replying to the previous comment

10 minutes ago, EIEIO said:

When at Villa Whelan played in a midfield containing Grealish and McGinn , I'm struggling with who fills these more creative roles at Hearts rather than whether Whelan is a good performer.

Dunno.  We'll see.   But let's not hesitate to sign good players on the basis of a lack of other good players.    Let's just proceed on the basis of getting some good players at all.    

siegementality
20 minutes ago, wheatfield to sheffield said:

Just around the next corner.

Whelan tomorrow, along with jam.

• davemclaren locked this topic