Glenn Whelan signs one year deal with Hearts (title updated)

Roman1874

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• BarneyBattles44

• Notts1874

• Victorian

• Morgan

Dallas Green
2 hours ago, Davie HEARTS said:

Hibs manager has had far less time but his win percentage is approx 50%. Our current manager is in his 3rd season now and his win ratio is on a par with one of the worst managers we've ever had. I've seen many a hearts team get thrashed by one of the old firm. Has the new Hibs manager overseen such a terrible result as lets say, a 5-0 beating from Livingston? There is your answer.

Craig's win percentage is 42%

That's on par with the worst managers we have ever had aye?

Maybe fact check first before spouting shite.

The Real Maroonblood
3 hours ago, XB52 said:

Agree with this. I am a huge supporter of Levein but he only has a few weeks to show improvement or he has to go. In fact, if we lose to Motherwell on friday, that could be the final straw. Be a huge shame to see him sacked but the club is bigger than any one man

It wouldn’t be a shame if he was sacked because he’s crap at his job.

44 minutes ago, EIEIO said:

When at Villa Whelan played in a midfield containing Grealish and McGinn , I'm struggling with who fills these more creative roles at Hearts rather than whether Whelan is a good performer.

Using your logic we would never sign another player. 

49 minutes ago, siegementality said:

Whelan tomorrow, along with jam.

Weller and the boys back together, or The KLF? Either way, I want a ticket. Plenty time for the grass to recover too. 😎

1 hour ago, EIEIO said:

When at Villa Whelan played in a midfield containing Grealish and McGinn , I'm struggling with who fills these more creative roles at Hearts rather than whether Whelan is a good performer.

Walker and Damour are probably budget but good versions - Damour the all action get stuck in blood and thunder McGinn, Walker the more crafty, but not quite fast enough for the top level, Grealish.  Clare can also do the creative part.  I actually quite like that mix.  In fact we also have Irving and Cochrane who are put a foot on the ball and look to play types.  If we sign Whelan, I think we have a good crop and mix of midfielders.

58 minutes ago, siegementality said:

Whelan tomorrow, along with jam.

To put in the corner to keep the wasps away?  Reminds me of a joke, weirdly... Jim Jefferies walks in to the dressing room at Tynie and nearly steps on a tolie on the floor.  "For eff's sake lads, who's shot on the deck?!?!" Kevin James pipes up, "me boss, but I'm awright in the air"...

(replace JJ with Levein and maybe Berra, though I don't think we should mock Christope, so I dunno, Uche, except he's maybe better on the deck and crap in the air.  Aw I duno.  Work it oot yersels)

Boom boom.

33 minutes ago, soonbe110 said:

Using your logic we would never sign another player. 

Don't see how you can interpret my comments in that way, but fair enough it's up to you. We badly need a goalkeeper and outfield players with pace, our walking football style of play is ineffective and eye bleeding to watch. Nothing against Whelan  but he isn't a keeper and not that pact maybe he has speed of thought who knows?

4 minutes ago, EIEIO said:

Don't see how you can interpret my comments in that way, but fair enough it's up to you. We badly need a goalkeeper and outfield players with pace, our walking football style of play is ineffective and eye bleeding to watch. Nothing against Whelan  but he isn't a keeper and not that pact maybe he has speed of thought who knows?

Disagree.  We have players with pace, we have players I'm sure who can play at pace.  The reason they don't is more to do with instruction, confidence, training or a number of other possibilities than their physical attributes.

I wasn't actually there on Sat, unusually for me, but from what I've been told, both Walker and Clare done more work defensively than offensively.  Bring in someone like Whelan, he frees up those types of players to switch that focus and concentrate on creating.  Along with Damour who looks like a player who will win the ball but also join in going forward, perhaps our players can fear losing the ball a little less too.  If they know the defense has some protection, they can play with more freedom - try things.  Uche, Washington and Naismith all have boundless energy - they will benefit hugely from having midfield support who aren't always looking over their shoulders when they have the ball.

If Whelan doesn't sign it isn't a disaster, we have Damour and we'll have Haring, but as much as he's a defensive player, his signing will make us more attacking.

16 minutes ago, TheBigO said:

Disagree.  We have players with pace, we have players I'm sure who can play at pace.  The reason they don't is more to do with instruction, confidence, training or a number of other possibilities than their physical attributes.

I wasn't actually there on Sat, unusually for me, but from what I've been told, both Walker and Clare done more work defensively than offensively.  Bring in someone like Whelan, he frees up those types of players to switch that focus and concentrate on creating.  Along with Damour who looks like a player who will win the ball but also join in going forward, perhaps our players can fear losing the ball a little less too.  If they know the defense has some protection, they can play with more freedom - try things.  Uche, Washington and Naismith all have boundless energy - they will benefit hugely from having midfield support who aren't always looking over their shoulders when they have the ball.

If Whelan doesn't sign it isn't a disaster, we have Damour and we'll have Haring, but as much as he's a defensive player, his signing will make us more attacking.

I hope you're  right my frustration lies with the fact that we have some pretty good players by Scottish standards just a poor team. White looked promising on Saturday but wasn't ready for 90 minutes,  Damour ditto. Maybe Berra would be his old self with a decent keeper behind him we will see on Friday night. 

1 minute ago, EIEIO said:

I hope you're  right my frustration lies with the fact that we have some pretty good players by Scottish standards just a poor team. White looked promising on Saturday but wasn't ready for 90 minutes,  Damour ditto. Maybe Berra would be his old self with a decent keeper behind him we will see on Friday night. 

Yeah, I'm fed up, but do still have this little buzz in my ear that the squad is there and it will click.  The "will" is changing to "might" by the week though, and by September may change to "will never"!

Put it this way, if you future wiki'd our squad two years ago and it looked like this, you'd be delighted and looking forward to it.

Is that a new goalie for Friday is it??

1 hour ago, TheBigO said:

PS, if Whelan signs, can we please nickname  him "Wagon".  Classic football snack if ever there was one.

As long as he doesn't shrink when / if he pulls the jersey on! 

PS, if Whelan signs, can we please nickname  him "Wagon".  Classic football snack if ever there was one.

I’d prefer ‘Free’ wee nod in the direction of the long running shop on slateford road 

Bazzas right boot

Yeah, I'm fed up, but do still have this little buzz in my ear that the squad is there and it will click.  The "will" is changing to "might" by the week though, and by September may change to "will never"!

Put it this way, if you future wiki'd our squad two years ago and it looked like this, you'd be delighted and looking forward to it.

Feel the same way. 

3-0 victory at Parkhead incoming to justify the thoughts.... 🤔

2 hours ago, Icon of Symmetry said:

Weller and the boys back together, or The KLF? Either way, I want a ticket. Plenty time for the grass to recover too. 😎

Indeed i think that first paragraph sums a lot of more rational Hearts fans. 

Tbf though its more free fallin’ than free whelan at the moment

Just now, sadj said:

Indeed i think that first paragraph sums a lot of more rational Hearts fans. 

Tbf though its more free fallin’ than free whelan at the moment

Any band that goes by the name ‘The Jam’ is right up there with me big felly! 😎

Surely he’s no comin? Feels like an eternity since we first confirmed we were ‘in talks’. Since talks started, we’ve seen the English window shut, days have passed...and then still nowt? Cannie see it happening now like...

Dagger Is Back
8 minutes ago, Mr Sifter said:

Surely he’s no comin? Feels like an eternity since we first confirmed we were ‘in talks’. Since talks started, we’ve seen the English window shut, days have passed...and then still nowt? Cannie see it happening now like...

I’m told be patient. 

13 minutes ago, Dagger Is Back said:

I’m told be patient. 

Patience is a virtue. I’d love to see him come in...but will just have to wait and see I suppose. Until he’s signed elsewhere, there’s obviously a chance we can get him eh 👍🏼

The Future's Maroon
1 hour ago, ceefax said:

I’d prefer ‘Free’ wee nod in the direction of the long running shop on slateford road 

Love it, Chris is a top bloke, the shop has been toiling lately he was saying, mainly due to the Evans along the road.

He has been there since I was a kid getting my first bike and I went to him this year for my latest...loyalty right there!

Portable Badger
1 minute ago, The Future's Maroon said:

Love it, Chris is a top bloke, the shop has been toiling lately he was saying, mainly due to the Evans along the road.

He has been there since I was a kid getting my first bike and I went to him this year for my latest...loyalty right there!

You been riding your kiddy bike for 50 years?  Tight shite!!

Ibrahim Tall
8 minutes ago, bazman said:

945A8FF1-6F48-404B-BD2B-64C5634ED22D.png

Nicolle Begovic?

New goalkeeper

Bobby leaving

we’re signing Asmir Begovic?

giphy.gif

It is amazing in this age of social media that transfers are sometimes inadvertently leaked before being officially announced

or...……..

Dagger Is Back
10 minutes ago, Mr Sifter said:

Patience is a virtue. I’d love to see him come in...but will just have to wait and see I suppose. Until he’s signed elsewhere, there’s obviously a chance we can get him eh 👍🏼

It is indeed but not a quality that I have. In saying that I'm happy to sit tight and wait for him to be announced officially

heartsfc_fan
5 minutes ago, Ibrahim Tall said:

Nicolle Begovic?

New goalkeeper

Bobby leaving

we’re signing Asmir Begovic?

giphy.gif

Not a bad shout. He wasn't even in the Bournemouth squad at the weekend unless he's injured.

However, Begovic was at Stoke with Whelan so probably why his partner knows Whelan's?

18 minutes ago, Takis51 said:

Hearing Whelan will be announced very soon

You been chinwagging with Teddy the Beagle?

9 hours ago, McCrae said:

Yes, without doubt we need this type if player.  We are losing the midfield battle. Sort this out and things will improve.

He’s no doubt a good player like, but according to folk on here Sean Clare was our best player on Saturday who played in midfield and we still lost the midfield battle. So who does he come in for?. Glenn whelan will need runners of the ball and quite frankly we don’t have that. I’ll be happy if he signs but I personally don’t think it’s a priority. 

10 minutes ago, greggy123 said:

He’s no doubt a good player like, but according to folk on here Sean Clare was our best player on Saturday who played in midfield and we still lost the midfield battle. So who does he come in for?. Glenn whelan will need runners of the ball and quite frankly we don’t have that. I’ll be happy if he signs but I personally don’t think it’s a priority. 

Sean Clare didn’t have a good game and I think he maybe one of the players commented about not winning headers. He is not a midfield General...and we need one.

12 minutes ago, greggy123 said:

Early thoughts, I’d like to see a trio of Damour, Whelan and Irving. 

Irving is a good passer, good awareness and pops the ball off quickly. He’s  shown a good defensive workrate when the ball breaks down for us. 

Playing alongside these experienced players may help him with their old heads knowing when to sit in and let him play.  

And I wish we’d let combinations play together for a while to see if they can gain understanding and effectiveness. Instead of chopping and changing as we tend to do. 

45 minutes ago, Takis51 said:

Hearing Whelan will be announced very soon

It's been very soon for about a week now.

Just now, Kiwidoug said:

Honestly couldn't care less now.  The Levein factor.

Beginning to feel that way. 

1 hour ago, bazman said:

945A8FF1-6F48-404B-BD2B-64C5634ED22D.png

That's as official as it gets! YAS!

Welcome aboard Glenn and Karen Whelan ❤️

The Future's Maroon
1 hour ago, Portable Badger said:

You been riding your kiddy bike for 50 years?  Tight shite!!

Lol, if it was still big enough I’d look pretty cool stoating about on a chopper these days!

I had a few in between, all from same shop.

Hopefully Free-Whelan signs, we need a pick me up, see what else happens this week.

24 minutes ago, Kiwidoug said:

Same. Excitement factor has long since dissipated. We could sign Ronaldo and would still struggle to beat St Mirren and the likes 🤣

The fact he ain’t gone elsewhere and it’s taken this time allied to the twitter pics I will say almost there? Goalie and?

Team crying out for creativity, pace and goals - we are signing a 35 year old defensive holding midfielder. Not suggesting he has not been a very fine player, played at the highest level and is a model professional, just wonder if it's what we really need. 

Edited by Jodami

Just now, Jodami said:

Team crying out for creativity, pace and goals - we are signing a 35 year old defensive holding midfielder. Not suggesting he has not been a very fine player, played at the highest level and is a model professional, just wonder if it's what we really need. 

hopefully it will allow the likes of walker and Clare to focus on creating something, rather than back tracking and getting in position

1 hour ago, Kiwidoug said:

Why do we want to sign Whelan and burden the new manager with yet another player . We need attacking,  creative and pacy players. Crazy

3 minutes ago, Jodami said:

We're also exceptionally soft-centred and lack leadership in the middle of the park.

The main issue is the manager, but this should be a good move.

5 minutes ago, jambopilms said:

hopefully it will allow the likes of walker and Clare to focus on creating something, rather than back tracking and getting in position

No it will allow CL to play 4 midfielders in defence to pas the ball from side to side

10 minutes ago, DC_92 said:

We're also exceptionally soft-centred and lack leadership in the middle of the park.

The main issue is the manager, but this should be a good move.

Agree on the manager. I don't doubt he will come and do what is says on the tin but I don't think it addresses our central issues. 

• davemclaren locked this topic