Glenn Whelan signs one year deal with Hearts (title updated)

Roman1874

Having players like Damour,  Haring (when back), Naismith and Whelan (if signing) will help Walker,  Clare,  Mulraney and Washington by a massive amount.     The more quality,  experience and guile the better.    Smith and Hickey will also benefit hugely.

Damour and Whelan,    or just Damour with Haring will make us much,  much more racey in attack.

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• BarneyBattles44

• Notts1874

• Victorian

• Morgan

2 hours ago, Whatever said:

:rofl:

I mean I like Haring an that but Jesus.

Whelan would instantly become our best midfield player should he sign. Including Damour.

Naismith is, was and will be a much better player than Glenn Whelan 😂😂

Castle rock
4 minutes ago, Victorian said:

Having players like Damour,  Haring (when back), Naismith and Whelan (if signing) will help Walker,  Clare,  Mulraney and Washington by a massive amount.     The more quality,  experience and guile the better.    Smith and Hickey will also benefit hugely.

Damour and Whelan,    or just Damour with Haring will make us much,  much more racey in attack.

If Whelan signs a midfield 3 that could dominate at places like cellik da rangers and the sheep

Bazzas right boot
5 hours ago, Gashauskis9 said:

Whilst I can see why folk might criticise Clare’s ability/output, to question his attitude is beyond comprehension.  He never hides and at least tries to do stuff on the ball.  What’s more, the man clearly loves this club and is incredibly humble towards the management and support.  

Clare has been handed the Djoum baton and some.  Ridiculous.  The irony is that both the players I’ve just mentioned practically carried us for months last year!

With Damour and possibly Whelan to come in, I’m certain (isn’t a whim or fan boy mentality) that he’ll be Hearts POTY material this season.  These players will give him the freedom to operate in a more attacking role where he is best suited and he’ll be up there with Naismith in the goals/assists.

Hope so. 

👍

1 minute ago, Castle rock said:

If Whelan signs a midfield 3 that could dominate at places like cellik da rangers and the sheep

If we get Whelan,   we'll have our best squad since the Romanov years.    Even without him we've got a very,  very good group.     

BackOfTheNet
28 minutes ago, Sir Gio said:

None of the six are Scottish. 

Another angle 

Good point. I’m actually struggling off the top of my head to think of a ‘local laddie’ or Scottish player who has suffered similar type of dugs abuse (at games and online).

56 minutes ago, dhalljambo15 said:

Not hard to guess who his favoured team is

Or, not hard to assume.

Not everyone is a bigot, you know?

dhalljambo15
3 minutes ago, Morgan said:

Or, not hard to assume.

Not everyone is a bigot, you know?

Where does bigotry come into this??

4 hours ago, Marooned In Ireland said:

Incidentally, thanks to the people who appreciated my contribution earlier. Give it enough time and no doubt I'll post something that people don't agree with!!!

You think so aye?  What makes you so sure about that, after only 60 posts anaw!!

What do you reckon?     I say we could put two different teams on the field now that would challenge some of our first XI teams during the past 6-7 years.    When have we ever had a squad that had a volume of players of the quality and/or experience of :

Smith, Hickey, White, Berra, Souttar, Halkett, Damour, Haring, Clare, Mulraney, Walker, Naismith, Washington.     

Add Dikamona, Bozanic, Garuccio, Burns, Brandon,Ikpeazu, MacLean, Cochrane, McDonald, Irving, Smith, Morrison, Keena, Zanatta, Currie + others.

Seymour M Hersh
24 minutes ago, Victorian said:

:oohmatron:

5 minutes ago, dhalljambo15 said:

Where does bigotry come into this??

You’re not worth it.

Edited by Morgan

Castle rock
17 minutes ago, Victorian said:

If we get Whelan,   we'll have our best squad since the Romanov years.    Even without him we've got a very,  very good group.     

agreed! keepers still give me the fear tho

4 hours ago, CJGJ said:

We simply do not need Whelan

If there are funds then spend it elsewhere

I wouldn't have minded if we got him, even after signing Damour, but agree that it's less of a priority now.

The encouraging thing is that we were still after Whelan despite signing Damour, so the funds are clearly there to bring in another decent quality player.  I'd now prefer that we target a new goalie.  The goalkeeping position is more and more looking like the weak link in our team.

NaturalOrder74

Taking far too long in my opinion. If it’s convincing his family, move up to Edinburgh one year hammer hibs four times win the cup, back home nice and easy 

3 hours ago, Noah Claypole said:

Covered in pimples is my guess.

You ITK?

Goldstone Wonder
7 minutes ago, Morgan said:

You’re not worth it.

Well said 

3 minutes ago, sadj said:

😂

2 minutes ago, Goldstone Wonder said:

Well said 

And that was my ‘edit’!  :) 

3 minutes ago, Morgan said:

And that was my ‘edit’!  :) 

Haha aye i saw the original 😂

2 minutes ago, sadj said:

Haha aye i saw the original 😂

You’re too quick for your own feckin good sadj!!!  :thumbsup:

:biggrin:

a blind man can see that Whelan and Damour are not the same kind of player

Damour is like Djoum; Whelan like Haring.

If we want to bring in someone to play the Haring type role we haven’t done so yet

Edited by Jammy T

2 minutes ago, Jammy T said:

a blind man can see that Whelan and Damour are not the same kind of player

Damour is like Djoum; Whelan like Haring.

If we want to bring in someone to play the Haring type role we haven’t done so yet

A blind man can't see anything

I love the way you seem to know all about our new signing even before he has played a minute for us

You and I have no idea if he is like Djoum

In the real world we'll judge him when we see him

53 minutes ago, CJGJ said:

A blind man can't see anything

I love the way you seem to know all about our new signing even before he has played a minute for us

You and I have no idea if he is like Djoum

In the real world we'll judge him when we see him

Whoosh.....

We we might not see Whelan but the point is they are different players.

Not one person that knows Whelan says he is a box to box midfielder but say he can put the boot in and make a simple pass to someone that can attack. 

Everyone that has seen Damour says he is box to box - and can tackle and attack.

Not. Rocket. Science.

🙂

2 hours ago, Morgan said:

Been the mrs complaint for years pal 😞

Robbo-Jambo
2 hours ago, Morgan said:

You’re not worth it.

Nail on the head. 

Dont give folk like that the time of day. 

You are one of the top posters on JKB

👍👍

Geoff Kilpatrick

Well, I've learned nothing new here other than some people claiming that it is racist to think Sean Clare is pish!

Newsflash: Sean Clare is pish and it is nothing to do with his skin colour.

As for Whelan, I doubt he will sign, sadly.

Robbo-Jambo
40 minutes ago, Jammy T said:

Whoosh.....

We we might not see Whelan but the point is they are different players.

Not one person that knows Whelan says he is a box to box midfielder but say he can put the boot in and make a simple pass to someone that can attack. 

Everyone that has seen Damour says he is box to box - and can tackle and attack.

Not. Rocket. Science.

🙂

Don't always agree with you but you have got that one spot on. 

To have the two of them could be the difference between an OK season or a memorable one. 

19 minutes ago, Geoff Kilpatrick said:

Well, I've learned nothing new here other than some people claiming that it is racist to think Sean Clare is pish!

Newsflash: Sean Clare is pish and it is nothing to do with his skin colour.

As for Whelan, I doubt he will sign, sadly.

Sean Clare is not in the least bit pish. 

He will thrive with a good strong CM beside him this season. 

52 minutes ago, Robbo-Jambo said:

I'm with you, really hoping that with the right midfield set up we can see Sean prosper.

Geoff Kilpatrick
58 minutes ago, Robbo-Jambo said:

I'm hoping Clare gets relegated to the bench now we are strengthening the centre of the park.

Rocky jamboa
7 minutes ago, Geoff Kilpatrick said:

I'm hoping Clare gets relegated to the bench now we are strengthening the centre of the park.

Definitely. He's got to try and earn his place in the team from the subs bench. 

How much longer do we persist with this guy and hope that "there's a player in there" comes to fruition because I haven't yet seen it!

Edited by Paulp74

"There's a player in there" usually means "player whom has arrived with a good reputation but continues to look shit".

Thrown about here on a daily basis. 

BackOfTheNet
16 minutes ago, Paulp74 said:

Definitely. He's got to try and earn his place in the team from the subs bench. 

How much longer do we persist with this guy and hope that "there's a player in there" comes to fruition because I haven't yet seen it!

As I pointed out earlier Clare has only played 8 more first team matches than Irving in his career due to an unusual route into professional football. Do you think we should persist with Irving? If so, then why isn’t Clare afforded the same amount of leeway since they’re both young players learning their trade and developing their talent?

Alex Kintner
43 minutes ago, cosanostra said:

"There's a player in there" usually means "player whom has arrived with a good reputation but continues to look shit".

Thrown about here on a daily basis. 

Not always a bad thing though.  Sure the same was said about Hartley, Pressley and Zaliukas after their less than impressive starts to life inna Hearts jersey.

7 minutes ago, To Be Frank said:

Not always a bad thing though.  Sure the same was said about Hartley, Pressley and Zaliukas after their less than impressive starts to life inna Hearts jersey.

I actually thought Pressley looked okay when he first arrived and was made to play right back. 😆

For every one of those, we probably have a lot more Oshaniwa, Martin etc

"Players we had huge hopes for and turned out to be awful".

Alex Kintner
6 minutes ago, cosanostra said:

I actually thought Pressley looked okay when he first arrived and was made to play right back. 😆

For every one of those, we probably have a lot more Oshaniwa, Martin etc

"Players we had huge hopes for and turned out to be awful".

True. Definitely more of the latter but you've got to kiss a few frogs to get a Prince Rudi or a Sir Paul 👍🏻

2 hours ago, Geoff Kilpatrick said:

The midfield needs a mix of players and Clare could thrive and push on playing a different role in the middle of it. 

Some people would seem to prefer he just doesn't make it though. 

He is still a young lad and the likes of Naismith could guide him through games to fulfil his potential. 

Time will tell. 

3 hours ago, jambobob61 said:

Talk about blind people, did you read our website "Our partially sighted/blind fans will see an improvement in the audio descriptive commentary as we relocate our commentators to a more central position with a better view of the action". A bit tactless eh, hear maybe, see I don't think so or they are at it!

Eh...it’s the guys providing the commentary that are being moved?

Youve either not read that properly...or I’ve just bit. Not sure what one to be honest 🤔

12 hours ago, Mr Elwood P said:

Think most of them sit behind me at Tynecastle. Either that or we have a lot of Idiots in our support.

Maybe both chief! Not mutually exclusive! A few def sit near me, though I'm not sure switching on a laptop and making it all the way to Facebook without eating it wouldn't be beyond them

28 minutes ago, Mr Sifter said:

Youve either not read that properly...or I’ve just bit. Not sure what one to be honest 🤔

I get his jape. It says they'll SEE an improvement. Maybe they'll notice or experience better terms!

Great that the club seems to be thinking and acting on so many issues. Anne truly is modernising us.

9 hours ago, Morgan said:

He gets that a lot. 😎

2 hours ago, Robbo-Jambo said:

This, unfortunately.

Geoff Kilpatrick
2 hours ago, Robbo-Jambo said:

The midfield needs a mix of players and Clare could thrive and push on playing a different role in the middle of it. 

He is still a young lad and the likes of Naismith could guide him through games to fulfil his potential. 

Time will tell. 

I'd love it if Clare proved me wrong but at present he's a modern day Tommy Harrison.

6 hours ago, Robbo-Jambo said:

Don't always agree with you but you have got that one spot on. 

To have the two of them could be the difference between an OK season or a memorable one. 

👍

Geoff Kilpatrick
43 minutes ago, Mr Sifter said:

Given we (I used to do the commentary back in the early noughties) used to have the furthest space away from the tunnel in the old Main Stand, this is fantastic news.

• davemclaren locked this topic