Glenn Whelan signs one year deal with Hearts (title updated)

Roman1874

3 minutes ago, Geoff Kilpatrick said:

I'd love it if Clare proved me wrong but at present he's a modern day Tommy Harrison.

The main reason I find it difficult to get too excited when any youngster breaks into our first team! 😎 

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• BarneyBattles44

• Notts1874

• Victorian

• Morgan

portobellojambo1
5 hours ago, cosanostra said:

"There's a player in there" usually means "player whom has arrived with a good reputation but continues to look shit".

Thrown about here on a daily basis. 

Correct.

I'm looking forward to seeing what this new arrival can offer to us as some form of link between back and front. As for Whelan, it would have been nice to get someone in who isn't scared to get stuck in, but the time it is taking maybe suggests we want him to come more than he actually wants to come

Edited by portobellojambo1

2 hours ago, Robbo-Jambo said:

The midfield needs a mix of players and Clare could thrive and push on playing a different role in the middle of it. 

Some people would seem to prefer he just doesn't make it though. 

He is still a young lad and the likes of Naismith could guide him through games to fulfil his potential. 

Time will tell. 

Your right. 

A lot of people on here forget he is only 22. 

Edited by MacPhee

Clare and others like Cochrane and even Walker can benefit greatly from having the right players in beside them.    Damour and Haring taking the strain of anchoring the centre and Naismith's well rounded graft further up the park.    Winning the ball,  his superb ball control and ability to retain possession,  vision to pick passes and make great runs.

When you get a number of quality additions,  the guys who have been toiling can be transformed.    Walker will look a different player.     Clare,   when he gets a chance alongside Naismith and Damour,   stands every chance of proving wrong a few well known one dimensionally thinking arseholes.    

Lord Beni of Gorgie

Clare

Played in multiple positions 

Been square pegged and often 

Attacking player 

Bags of pace 

Has skill 

Defensively inept

Game at Rugby Park where he was excellent is where he needs to play. 

Final third player

Runs himself silly every game 

Not very robust 

Like everyone else in our team,  light comes on when the Albino Prince strides onto the pitch 

6 minutes ago, jambobob61 said:

Keep it simple then.....the blind fans "Will see" .....is that sympathetic language? Could they not have worded it a bit more carefully? Sorry but just being pedantic in this PC world, above some heads obviously!

Well it was certainly above mine 🥴😊

Geoff Kilpatrick
7 minutes ago, jambobob61 said:

Keep it simple then.....the blind fans "Will see" .....is that sympathetic language? Could they not have worded it a bit more carefully? Sorry but just being pedantic in this PC world, above some heads obviously!

I think the context was perfectly fine.

Clare is just different, soft spoken, well mannered, almost shy guy

I just don't think he has it in him mentally, to take a game by the scruff of the neck, shift into that higher gear needed when things are tough. Some players just have that natural born instinct to win like Naismith in them 

Clare just hasn't got that in him. He is happy to float around the pitch getting involved now and then letting the game pass him by a lot of the time. No doubt Naismith and Damour/Whelan playing will allow him more opportunities to run at players. He's no a defensive minded player and shouldnt be used as such 

11 minutes ago, jambobob61 said:

We agree to disagree then. I think it is ignorant myself!

Absolutely desperate for something to complain about imo😕

4 minutes ago, luckydug said:

Sign of the times I'm afraid. People want something to be offended by to feel relevant, even better if they can be the first to declare it.

54 minutes ago, Sir Gio said:

Clare

Attacking player 

Bags of pace 

Has skill 

Defensively inept

Final third player

Not very robust 

Like everyone else in our team,  light comes on when the Albino Prince strides onto the pitch 

Good summary of Sean.

I'd add he gets stuck in (though you can see its not his strength, he tries to anyway)

Wins fair share of headers too.

I'd like us to get him in shooting positions more often. Damour will help this.

16 minutes ago, luckydug said:

Played one, lost one?? Could moan  about that. Or only won once in 8 league games, could moan about that I suppose. Plenty to choose from on the moaning front imo. However, plenty to be positive about also, new signings, seemingly better quality, Naismith back, youngsters showing promise, first home game today etc. It's down to the team and the fans to get this party started, hopefully today, and this party could go on for a very long time once it's up and running..........HHGH.

2 minutes ago, jambobob61 said:

Sorry, seems pointing out a story about how sensitive and inclusive we are, which is great, is tainted by insensitive language is 'wrong'.

Thank God I never mentioned Princes Street getting all those bars and restaurants with random outdoor seating which will adversely affect the blind and disabled that use that thoroughfare! These stories never mention that side of it!

Jee wiz!

I'm totally with you on your second paragraph.

Just think you would be better concentrating on real issues that affect blind and partially sighted.

After all the club was announcing improved facility's for people with sight issues.

I could go on about inconsideration towards blind and partially sighted but that's for the shed.👍 

1 hour ago, Sir Gio said:

Clare

Attacking player 

Bags of pace 

Has skill 

Defensively inept

Final third player

Not very robust 

I don’t think defensively inept is entirely fair. An area to work on but he does actually win a lot of tackles. Agree that in behind the striker suits him best. Unfortunately Naismith, Walker, Clare and Lee are all best in that hole. Naismith and Walker will start when fit, Walker further right. Clare needs to adapt to the centre mid role if he’s going to play.

42 minutes ago, kimosavi said:

I just don't think he has it in him mentally, to take a game by the scruff of the neck, shift into that higher gear needed when things are tough. Some players just have that natural born instinct to win like Naismith in them 

Clare just hasn't got that in him. He is happy to float around the pitch getting involved now and then letting the game pass him by a lot of the time. No doubt Naismith and Damour/Whelan playing will allow him more opportunities to run at players. He's no a defensive minded player and shouldnt be used as such 

This guy gets the idea.    

Clare will sink or swim with better players beside him,   doing the stuff Clare isn't suited to.    If he fails then he fails and he'll leave.     But he has every chance to progress.

Others have closed off their minds on the subject.    Written him off with no further chances.     That kind of rank limitation of thought is their problem though.

Portable Badger
1 hour ago, Sir Gio said:

Clare

Attacking player 

Bags of pace 

Has skill 

Defensively inept

Final third player

Not very robust 

Dear Sir

are you suggesting we should sell Clare to Kilmarnock ?  ;)

21 minutes ago, jambobob61 said:

Sorry, seems pointing out a story about how sensitive and inclusive we are, which is great, is tainted by insensitive language is 'wrong'.

Thank God I never mentioned Princes Street getting all those bars and restaurants with random outdoor seating which will adversely affect the blind and disabled that use that thoroughfare! These stories never mention that side of it!

Jee wiz!

That's a completely different argument.   :rofl: 

If in 10 years time the council decide to remove those random outdoor seatings and said it would see a return to better access for the blind and partially sighted would you see cause for offence?

Edited by graygo

13 minutes ago, Mr Elwood P said:

I don’t think defensively inept is entirely fair. An area to work on but he does actually win a lot of tackles. Agree that in behind the striker suits him best. Unfortunately Naismith, Walker, Clare and Lee are all best in that hole. Naismith and Walker will start when fit, Walker further right. Clare needs to adapt to the centre mid role if he’s going to play.

He played okay at right back but we're stronger with Damour clearly. 

Lord Beni of Gorgie
14 minutes ago, Portable Badger said:

Dear Sir

are you suggesting we should sell Clare to Kilmarnock ?  ;)

Note to self. Write less ambiguously  :)

I’d suggest, and in no means even close to being ITK, if he doesn’t come out on to the pitch at half time today it’s not happening. It’s dragging on and once he experiences the buzz around Tynecastle on match day if that doesn’t convince him nothing will.

7 minutes ago, Leisham38 said:

I’d suggest, and in no means even close to being ITK, if he doesn’t come out on to the pitch at half time today it’s not happening. It’s dragging on and once he experiences the buzz around Tynecastle on match day if that doesn’t convince him nothing will.

Now we have Damour, Whelan is more nice to have. Taking account of Craig Levein's comments about moving away from his family he'll be given all the time he needs. 

Edited by Mikey1874

Just now, jambobob61 said:

I bow to your obvious intellect....................placing obstacles in harms way is in no way a different argument to removing obstacles from harms way! Well done Simon the simpleton!

Holy Feck, are you really that stupid?

Go back and read it again, I would try to make it simpler for you but I can't think how I would be able to do that.

BackOfTheNet
1 hour ago, kimosavi said:

Now see that’s a weird thing. A lot of people who don’t like him comment that he has a cocky bigbaws attitude on him (explaining reasons they don’t like him) where what you’ve described is the polar opposite to that. I actually agree with you that he’s a shy well mannered type, but I disagree that it will stop him from developing as a player. The guy hasn’t even got to 100 games in football, asking him to take the scruff of the neck is unfair, I personally see him capable of it in the future but I understand why some might not.

maroonlegions

Seems to be the longest talking thread on Kickback to date. I mean they all still talking.

Either sign or feck off, simple.

28 minutes ago, Leisham38 said:

If we've not scored in the first 5 minutes, playing wide, fast flowing, expansive EPL standard flair football, the buzz around Tynecastle will be enough to put any player off sadly. Too many Greetin faced ***** in our support these days.

Edited by Ak47

1 minute ago, Ak47 said:

If we've not scored in the first 5 minutes, playing wide, fast flowing, expansive EPL standard flair football, the buzz around Tynecastle will be enough to put any player off sadly. Too many Greetin faced ***** in our support these days.

Yeah, let’s hope he signs before Clare doesn’t score from 40 yds with his first touch and the place reacts like he’s just pumped their missus

Rocky jamboa
8 hours ago, BackOfTheNet said:

As I pointed out earlier Clare has only played 8 more first team matches than Irving in his career due to an unusual route into professional football. Do you think we should persist with Irving? If so, then why isn’t Clare afforded the same amount of leeway since they’re both young players learning their trade and developing their talent?

I'm not saying give up on him but he needs to start earning his place in the team as opposed to being a regular pick every week and contributing very little. 

Benching him might be the kick up the back side he needs to kick on

maroonlegions
40 minutes ago, Jamhammer said:

Still not signed. Thread should now be a Sean Clare poll, apparently 

Could have sweared   it was reading back a couple pages and this one.

11 hours ago, sadj said:

Been the mrs complaint for years pal 😞

Aye, she was saying.

:whistling:

2 hours ago, Victorian said:

This guy gets the idea.    

Clare will sink or swim with better players beside him,   doing the stuff Clare isn't suited to.    If he fails then he fails and he'll leave.     But he has every chance to progress.

Others have closed off their minds on the subject.    Written him off with no further chances.     That kind of rank limitation of thought is their problem though.

Our they are a better judge of a player who has vastly under performed, after making zero impact during his 35 appearances..... .

Just now, gowestjambo said:

Our they are a better judge of a player who has vastly under performed, after making zero impact during his 35 appearances..... .

An example of limited understanding.    Tunnel vision.

Even if we concede the point regarding zero or limited impact,     the point being made is that a player has a chance to make a bigger impact due to now being in the team with players of quality like Damour snd hopefully Whelan.    Haring and Naismith to hopefully get and stay fit.     Numbers of quality players to take the burden off Clare and hopefully see him develop.

By no means certain but he has a better chance now.

The alternative is to remain in the tunnel of no possibilities.   Write him off.    Nae good.    Shite.     Can't play any better with better players.

Marooned In Ireland
14 hours ago, RobNox said:

You think so aye?  What makes you so sure about that, after only 60 posts anaw!!

If I can get to 61 without a rebuke I'll regard that as a minor success.... Oh, wait...

2 hours ago, Leisham38 said:

I’d suggest, and in no means even close to being ITK, if he doesn’t come out on to the pitch at half time today it’s not happening. It’s dragging on and once he experiences the boos around Tynecastle on match day if that doesn’t convince him nothing will.

FTFY

43 minutes ago, Victorian said:

An example of limited understanding.    Tunnel vision.

Even if we concede the point regarding zero or limited impact,     the point being made is that a player has a chance to make a bigger impact due to now being in the team with players of quality like Damour snd hopefully Whelan.    Haring and Naismith to hopefully get and stay fit.     Numbers of quality players to take the burden off Clare and hopefully see him develop.

By no means certain but he has a better chance now.

The alternative is to remain in the tunnel of no possibilities.   Write him off.    Nae good.    Shite.     Can't play any better with better players.

Your Example perhaps. Fortunately your opinion is worth no more or less than mine. Unless you wish to prove otherwise. To date he has not lived up to expectations. He was not signed to need help from better players around him. Every player has to prove his worth to the team. To date he has not imo. Furthermore, I think it is unlikely he ever will. Time will prove one of us correct, not your derogatory remark of another Hearts supporters Limited Understanding.

Most things in life are possible, and sometimes the improbable. However, without determination to reach that goal whatever it takes, improvement will not happen. If Sean Clare applies himself an turns out to be a star, that is a win win situation. From my part of the tunnel, I cant see it happening......

3 hours ago, jambobob61 said:

Jee wiz!

😂😂

8 minutes ago, gowestjambo said:

Your Example perhaps. Fortunately your opinion is worth no more or less than mine. Unless you wish to prove otherwise. To date he has not lived up to expectations. He was not signed to need help from better players around him. Every player has to prove his worth to the team. To date he has not imo. Furthermore, I think it is unlikely he ever will. Time will prove one of us correct, not your derogatory remark of another Hearts supporters Limited Understanding.

Most things in life are possible, and sometimes the improbable. However, without determination to reach that goal whatever it takes, improvement will not happen. If Sean Clare applies himself an turns out to be a star, that is a win win situation. From my part of the tunnel, I cant see it happening......

This is a bit silly.     

Who argued that he was signed to need help from other players?

Who argued against players having to prove their own worth?

The point being made is that players can flourish when joined by more and more quality players.    The more the better.    

You're perfectly entitled to close off your mind to the possibility he can benefit from other players,   despite it being a bit short sighted imo.    

But to return... "he was not signed to need help from better players... " has got to be about the dumbest thing I've read on here for many a moon.    

Every thread gets de railed these days, anyway I have hoovered and cleaned 2 toilets and found the Shankland thread is still popular! Hells bells.

siegementality
On 09/08/2019 at 01:30, skodef said:

Why the feck did we no take a chance on Shankland it really pisses me off Levein can't sign a proven Scottish goalscorer and b4 folk say we done that with Reilly that's bullshit cos Shankland is 10 times the player than him.

You’ll not get an argument from me. I said on the Shankland thread when he signed for United that I thought we’d missed out. 

23 minutes ago, Victorian said:

This is a bit silly.     

Who argued that he was signed to need help from other players?

Who argued against players having to prove their own worth?

The point being made is that players can flourish when joined by more and more quality players.    The more the better.    

You're perfectly entitled to close off your mind to the possibility he can benefit from other players,   despite it being a bit short sighted imo.    

But to return... "he was not signed to need help from better players... " has got to be about the dumbest thing I've read on here for many a moon.    

You suggested he would improve with better players around him. This was your whole argument. He should not need help from others to improve.

My mind is not closed off, My opinion based upon the evidence seen so far suggests he will not prove his worth.

The evidence so far is on my side, yours is about assumption. Talk about dumb things...............

Hackney Hearts
29 minutes ago, gowestjambo said:

To date he has not lived up to expectations.

This is fair. But in your previous post you said he'd had "zero impact" - which is completely different. He got us past Livingston in the cup - who knows if we'd have made the next round , let alone the final? He's scored some important well-taken penalties when others have struggled, he's scored a great goal at Kilmarnock - he's scored 6 times as many goals as Tommy Harrison, for those that brought that name up! The problem is we've seen he's capable in flashes, it's just that he doesn't produce it nearly often enough - for whatever reason (and plenty reasons have been suggested on here). It's not like a Martin or Wighton situation though, which really do merit a "zero impact".

Anyway, back on topic. What about this Shankland guy, eh?

siegementality
28 minutes ago, Jim Panzee said:

Has either Whelan signed or Eddie the Eagle closed his account...?

ETE, Daza’s reincarnation (same duff info under a different name), is playing the long game. Said last week Whelan had signed and announcement imminent. More than a week later discussions with Whelan are still ongoing! Still there’s those who hang on to his every word despite it being proven many, many times that he talks shite.

9 minutes ago, gowestjambo said:

You suggested he would improve with better players around him. This was your whole argument. He should not need help from others to improve.

My mind is not closed off, My opinion based upon the evidence seen so far suggests he will not prove his worth.

The evidence so far is on my side, yours is about assumption. Talk about dumb things...............

I suggested he CAN improve,   not will.

I seriously could not give a ****ing monkeys about evidence because evidence to go towards proving something is not the point being made.    The point being made,    as well as repeatedly missed,   is that a player CAN benefit from the introduction of others.    This is called making a speculative observation.

Continue to base your opinions on your rigid evidence.    That's obviously the extent of your thinking.

Edited by Victorian

Geoff Kilpatrick
23 minutes ago, siegementality said:

ETE, Daza’s reincarnation (same duff info under a different name), is playing the long game. Said last week Whelan had signed and announcement imminent. More than a week later discussions with Whelan are still ongoing! Still there’s those who hang on to his every word despite it being proven many, many times that he talks shite.

Daza is sensitive to criticism. Mind you, so is Love Ngoo or whatever he calls himself these days. It's quite amusing.

• davemclaren locked this topic