Glenn Whelan signs one year deal with Hearts (title updated)

Roman1874

Did hearts not do something a few years back (could have been a friendly) where they announced the squad and about 6 players came out the tunnel followed by a raft of new signings?

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• BarneyBattles44

• Notts1874

• Victorian

• Morgan

2 hours ago, PTBCAL said:

Would be a decent enough signing but to me it still hasn’t addressed our lack of creativity in the middle of the park.

My fear is that maybe Haring is out for longer than we expect hence the need for Whelan.

In a way I think he could make us more creative. He could allow Naismith, Clare, Cochrane, Irving, Walker all to play more advanced and/or more freely.

Same fore the fullbacks. With that in mind, he and Haring both sitting Coul release 6 players to play ahead of them when we have the ball. So even playing both 'holding' minds doesn't need to be negative.

The onus will be on Walker, Washington, Jake and Naismith in particular to be clinical.

6 minutes ago, Ross-l said:

Did hearts not do something a few years back (could have been a friendly) where they announced the squad and about 6 players came out the tunnel followed by a raft of new signings?

Yeah against Middlesbrough when Burley took over. That Skacel guy looked decent

7 minutes ago, jimbojambo said:

Yeah against Middlesbrough when Burley took over. That Skacel guy looked decent

That was a friendly.

kingantti1874

Would be a decent enough signing but to me it still hasn’t addressed our lack of creativity in the middle of the park.

My fear is that maybe Haring is out for longer than we expect hence the need for Whelan.

with haring out it’s a necessary signing, but we do need creativity that’s for sure.

1 minute ago, Turkishcap said:

In this day and age the offices should be open 7 days during the transfer windows.

You'll have to consult Rangers and Celtic about SFA opening hours for these matters.

I'm sure he keeps himself fit but he won't have had a proper pre-season. I doubt he'd have been likely to feature even if he'd signed on Friday.

It's never addressed. Our way is to get it wide.

A_A wehatethehibs
17 minutes ago, Turkishcap said:

In this day and age the offices should be open 7 days during the transfer windows.

Are you suggesting that the SFA is remotely close to living in "this day and age"? Most of the blazers still think it's 1978

46 minutes ago, Turkishcap said:

Only open if you're Smeltic or Rankgers 2012.

1 hour ago, Notts1874 said:

He's still playing golf. 

They do say that slow play is a big problem in the game of golf these days. 

Not sure I see the sense of signing someone on Friday and then leave it over the weekend, especially if he’s being signed to fill a position where there’s an obvious requirement.

Barry Anderson saying on Twitter that he hasn’t signed but strong chance he’s going to. 

2 minutes ago, HMFC86 said:

Barry Anderson saying on Twitter that he hasn’t signed but strong chance he’s going to. 

Nothing against the guy but he has absolutely no insight into what's going on Hearts.

16 minutes ago, Jambo92 said:

Nothing against the guy but he has absolutely no insight into what's going on Hearts.

Yet some are hanging on the words of a poster on here who said it’d be announced Friday and then Saturday?

I don’t think he’s signed yet. A deal may be agreed but until he signs that can change.

Daza/ETE  has jumped the gun, imo.

siegementality
6 minutes ago, Whatever said:

Yet some are hanging on the words of a poster on here who said it’d be announced Friday and then Saturday?

I don’t think he’s signed yet. A deal may be agreed but until he signs that can change.

Is ETE actually Daza?

6 minutes ago, Whatever said:

I think we've seen from this summer that not much is being leaked out, which is good for us as a club but can be frustrating as fans.  

The team would have already been selected for today. No danger Whelan would have made it even if he had been signed.

siegementality
2 hours ago, Notts1874 said:

He's still playing golf. 

Gareth Bale is going to lose a nickname!

afanderson33
27 minutes ago, Jambo92 said:

No journalist speaks to Levein more than he does

1 minute ago, neilnunb said:

The team would have already been selected for today. No danger Whelan would have made it even if he had been signed.

It was selected on Wednesday. McPhee was drilling them continually on Wed at training. Only doubt was Washington. 

1 minute ago, afanderson33 said:

No journalist speaks to Levein more than he does

He should be awash with exclusives and producing fresh information then.  You and I both have the same amount of knowledge as he does into where we are at in the Whelan transfer. 

bajthejambo
37 minutes ago, Jambo92 said:

This. He only ever reveals we've signed anyone after it's been officially announced. 

In fact, did he not claim we wouldn't be signing Washington?

Edited by bajthejambo

Let's go full on conspiracy theory.

Levein obviously saw someone had leaked that Whelan was going to, and then had signed a 1 year deal. There was no chance he was going to be ready for today so he's deliberately held off the announcement to discredit the leak so he get ridiculed and ignored if he gets any further info 😂

3 hours ago, rudi must stay said:

Not in the team.

This was the game for him

Rubbish

Clearly complete and utter bullshit that he has already signed.

Hopefully talks go well and we get it over the line. Think he would be an absolutely tremendous signing.

David Sharp

Some people need to give it a rest. Guy has all the credentials but dropping him straight in today would be rediculous. Just hope he puts pen to paper next week.

Get him signed, warm up against Ross County then sort out Brown 2 weeks from now.

26 minutes ago, David Sharp said:

Some people need to give it a rest. Guy has all the credentials but dropping him straight in today would be rediculous. Just hope he puts pen to paper next week.

Aye, any player needs a bit training with the other players first. Get to know them and help them settle in.  

2 minutes ago, Sagan said:

We're still trying to get a decision from him. 

But but but .............our ITK,ers  said he signed last week - obviously no one told Craig.

28 minutes ago, Kiwidoug said:

Get him signed, warm up against Ross County then sort out Brown 2 weeks from now.

Three weeks from now! 

gowestjambo
30 minutes ago, Debut 4 said:

Aye, any player needs a bit training with the other players first. Get to know them and help them settle in.  

I give you - Andy Thorn......

Sexton Hardcastle

Good luck to the lad if he does sign.

Booed and written off within 2/3 games as standard.

17 minutes ago, Sexton Hardcastle said:

Good luck to the lad if he does sign.

Booed and written off within 2/3 games as standard.

At least the fans you talk about wait 2-3 games, our manager publicly rubbished one player after only a few minutes.

The White Cockade

he's the kind of player who would have helped us keep it at 2-1 after the red card

Byyy The Light
3 minutes ago, The White Cockade said:

he's the kind of player who would have helped us keep it at 2-1 after the red card

The penalty came less than 1 min from a stupid decision from a defender. Nothing Whelan could’ve done to keep it at 2-1 today.

On another day, yes we need someone with a bit of leadership and bite to grind results out. 

The White Cockade
1 minute ago, Byyy The Light said:

The penalty came less than 1 min from a stupid decision from a defender. Nothing Whelan could’ve done to keep it at 2-1 today.

On another day, yes we need someone with a bit of leadership and bite to grind results out. 

my point was he would have helped  us not get so stretched that the tackle was made

but still annoyed at that goal

just about every free kick and corner that Clare takes is poor and turns into an attacking opportunity for the opposition

that's why it came about

Byyy The Light
2 minutes ago, The White Cockade said:

my point was he would have helped  us not get so stretched that the tackle was made

but still annoyed at that goal

just about every free kick and corner that Clare takes is poor and turns into an attacking opportunity for the opposition

that's why it came about

I was only listening on the radio so hard to tell at times but until the sending off it seemed far more likely we were getting a 3rd than they were going to equalise.

I’d much rather we went to kill teams off than sit in and park the bus.

I get your point though. 

The White Cockade
1 minute ago, Byyy The Light said:

I was only listening on the radio so hard to tell at times but until the sending off it seemed far more likely we were getting a 3rd than they were going to equalise.

I’d much rather we went to kill teams off than sit in and park the bus.

I get your point though. 

I agree

it was only when we attacked them we looked good

but having a strong midfield allows you to go forward but have a bit of cover

when we sit back we are worse than useless

I think we may be his back up if nothing else happens

Craig Levein spoke for the first time about Hearts’ talks with Glenn Whelan and said the club are continually working to sign the Irish midfielder.

The manager wants to strengthen his defensive-midfield area and 35-year-old Whelan was in Edinburgh for talks over the weekend.

He is a free agent after leaving Aston Villa and Hearts officials hope to get a decision from him in the next few days.

Speaking after opening the new Premiership campaign with a 3-2 loss at Aberdeen, Levein said: “We are continuing to speak to him and are hopeful we can get something done because I think you could see today we need a bit of experience in that area.

BarneyBattles44
30 minutes ago, Jean Louis Valois said:

Hope he didn’t watch today’s game.

I'd be surprised if he wasn't at the game

If was me sought after I'd be there

Also 

Hearts beat themselves is how to sum it up

Alex Kintner
3 minutes ago, CJGJ said:

I think we may be his back up if nothing else happens

Craig Levein spoke for the first time about Hearts’ talks with Glenn Whelan and said the club are continually working to sign the Irish midfielder.

The manager wants to strengthen his defensive-midfield area and 35-year-old Whelan was in Edinburgh for talks over the weekend.

He is a free agent after leaving Aston Villa and Hearts officials hope to get a decision from him in the next few days.

Speaking after opening the new Premiership campaign with a 3-2 loss at Aberdeen, Levein said: “We are continuing to speak to him and are hopeful we can get something done because I think you could see today we need a bit of experience in that area.

@Eddie The Eagle

12 minutes ago, Whatever said:

85% slaver.

Interested to see if he replies to this.

The only person on here who has ever had any credibility to being ITK has a username that resembles Nottingham.

• davemclaren locked this topic