Glenn Whelan signs one year deal with Hearts (title updated)

Roman1874

Alex Kintner
1 minute ago, Notts1874 said:

Did you type that while your brain was out for a walk?

What brain? 🙄

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• BarneyBattles44

• Notts1874

• Victorian

• Morgan

5 minutes ago, Tennant's 6's said:

Whelan would be a superb signing.

Unlike Hughes, he still has plenty left in the tank, and would add some much needed character & desire to the team. 

Would love to get Morrison too. Two quality players who the younger lads could learn from.

Could you remove this positive post please, your sort are not wanted round here.

Alex Kintner
6 hours ago, chuck berrys hairline said:

Topping up someone's pension fund again! Why can't we just do an exciting signing for once. Boy looks worse off than your postie. If this is our marquee 🤭🤣🤪 seasons a write off sadly

Genius-Meme-14416861911970580366.jpg

Folk saying Whelan would only be signed as cover for Haring. He’s 10x the football player PH is even at 35. I’m a huge fan of Haring and he’s been one of our best signings in recent years. Its an exciting thought if we could get them both in a formation. 

Tennant's  6's
3 minutes ago, Artful Dodger said:

Could you remove this positive post please, your sort are not wanted round here.

Well, it's not all rosy, those League Cup games were abysmal.

But I'm hopeful that a couple of quality signings, and punting a few poorer players out on loan, then we could be ready.

4th as a target has to actually mean something this season. 

davemclaren
26 minutes ago, Lord BJ said:

I don’t think he’ll sign.

i also don.t know if would be a good signing. He has good pedigree but his age is a concern. His CV is probably not a million miles away from someone like Hughes (different position) I think Hughes was a poor signing.

Better players with better pedigree have come up here and you would expected them to rip this league a part and hasn’t happened.

That said equally he could prove that age is just a number and be a dominating performer for us.

I’m in meh camp and we will need to wait and see, much like the team, how it goes if he were to sign.

I imagine, if he signs, he will be short term signing. 

Mr Elwood P
1 minute ago, jambopilms said:

Training with us before signing, is that a thing ?

Aye, Naismith has been training with us for weeks ...

scott herbertson
1 minute ago, Lord BJ said:

I would imagine so, at his age it’s unlikely anyone will give more than 12 months.

Though we actually do have a little bit of history of giving older players contract lengths longer than I think we should. McLean and Hughes spring to mind. Part of that might be to secure the signing by overall paying  a player more money over a longer period of time as opposed to higher weekly wage due to budgets. I don’t know.

I think your assumption is right - it gives the player security and we benefit if we get a good year and they move on to coaching or whatever, we lose out a bit if they are meh and stay...

24 minutes ago, Jamhammer said:

Have to disagree with the bit in bold. Given on opportunity at a big club and has not taken it. Has shown a real lack of desire, IMO when he has had a chance. Has looked like a rabbit in the headlights at times. Don't think the performances/crowd have helped him but that's what being at a big club is about. He has to take a lot of the blame for his failure, albeit his injuries haven't helped. Can be added to a very long list of players who just couldn't cut it here.

Agree 100%.  Wighton is a player that showed a lot of promise at Dundee. He has been given the chance to stake his claim for  place in the squad, however injuries and a lack of confidence of his part have held him back.  It's a nonsense to blame the club or the manager for this.  Who knows, it could all work out for him yet. A loan to a Championship team might just see him rebuild his career.

5 minutes ago, Deevers said:

Agree 100%.  Wighton is a player that showed a lot of promise at Dundee. He has been given the chance to stake his claim for  place in the squad, however injuries and a lack of confidence of his part have held him back.  It's a nonsense to blame the club or the manager for this.  Who knows, it could all work out for him yet. A loan to a Championship team might just see him rebuild his career.

Don’t see anything in wighton that he is good enough for us , just can’t see him making it at hearts 

Mr Elwood P
Just now, yansinjambo365 said:

People still going on about morrison did Levein not rule this out few weeks back??

Aye, the singer ...

1 minute ago, yansinjambo365 said:

People still going on about morrison did Levein not rule this out few weeks back??

Aye, the singer 😉

Bazzas right boot
25 minutes ago, davemclaren said:

I imagine, if he signs, he will be short term signing. 

Yip, don't think we have the next ten years in mind with this one. 

Folk shrugging at the thought of a guy that played almost 40 times in a promotion winning team from the championship last season signing for us. 

Mental. 

Edited by Smith's right boot

i wish jj was my dad
36 minutes ago, Notts1874 said:

Did you type that while your brain was out for a walk?

You are assuming he has one. His comment about us never making positive signings two days after we sign SN tells me different.

6 minutes ago, NB GIN said:

Don’t see anything in wighton that he is good enough for us , just can’t see him making it at hearts 

Nor have I in any of his cameo appearances. He was alway going to be a project - one that did t work. I can think of quite a few players we have take oVer the years that fall into that category right back to when Tommy Walker signed Frank Sandeman in the early sixties. Wighton showed loads of promise as a youngster so I can understand why we took a gamble with him.

Салатные палочки
4 minutes ago, Smith's right boot said:

Yip, don't think we have the next ten years in mind with this one. 

Folk shrugging at the thought of a guy that played almost 40 times in a promotion winning team from the championship last season signing for us. 

Mental. 

It's quite incredible really. Makes you wonder what would really make people happy. 

Borders Jambo

Think he would be a great signing and add stability to our midfield area and allow the youngsters to learn from him.  Something like a year with an option for another year possibly if it suits both parties.

As for Wighton, I think its last chances for him this season.  Too often he has looked like a frightened passenger in the team which is not how I remember him when I saw him playing for Dundee.  If the option of something like a loan to ICT was available, I think he should go there and learn from the master.   

JamboAndrew

We seem to have signed older players to pass on invaluable experience to the youngsters and to give them real role models. And I fully support that. Naismith, Berra, Hughes etc... All show what is possible in the game and can show the youngsters how to maximise the chance of having a similar career.

Performance wise, they seem to have been hit or miss. Naismith being one end of the scale, and Hughes, as much as I liked him, at the other.

Having seen Whelen play a few times, he is on the Naismith end of the scale of things. His performances last season being proof. No one plays that many times in that league in a winning team without being good. I'm genuinely excited. Morrison has higher profile up in Scotland, but for a club of our size and wages we pay, this is, should it happen, an amazing signing.

7 hours ago, Icon of Symmetry said:

It’s EXCEPT. 🙄

Well spotted!👏

Take a sweetie of the shelf sonny!

6 hours ago, 7628mm said:

Are you actually suggesting that one or two posters on JKB have influenced 5,000 Hearts supporters that read JKB so much that they will not go to games at Tynecastle?

Sorry for the edit but I forgot to mention that I am asking the question for a friend all 5000 of them to be exact

I think that is what he’s suggesting!

Insane or what!!! 😂

6 minutes ago, Cruickshank for Scotland said:

Well spotted!👏

Take a sweetie of the shelf sonny!

915EC5A0-C165-45B5-872C-DD7F30F1FE30.jpeg

William H. Bonney
2 minutes ago, jonnothejambo said:

People that think he would sign as cover for Haring.

:rofl:

Utter planks.

If Whelan signs, he will be an integral part of the team, assuming he can stay fit. 

You don't sign players who have played more than thirty games in a team promoted to England's top league then come up here as cover.

Clueless. Utterly clueless.

It’s not illogical to assume he will be cover for haring, if haring is out for a long time. 

Jambof3tornado
1 hour ago, DS98 said:

Folk saying Whelan would only be signed as cover for Haring. He’s 10x the football player PH is even at 35. I’m a huge fan of Haring and he’s been one of our best signings in recent years. Its an exciting thought if we could get them both in a formation. 

Yup. Think it would push Clare out the middle which I wasnt keen on anyway.

BarneyBattles44
1 hour ago, Homme said:

Genuinely thought the clapper front left  was the same oblivious guy in the Lennon pic we all love :lol:

Is that the guy who ran at Lennon at tynie n landed on his hole ?

Captain Canada

According to one paper he's training with us this morning and will sign today. Another one reckons he's signing on Monday. 

Edited by Captain Canada

SM Sheffield

I’m confident I’ve seen Glenn Whelan live more than anyone else on this forum. He would be a tremendous signing and not just for his football ability and hard work in the midfield area. His professionalism would also be a huge asset to the squad and team too, he would be another excellent senior pro to help out the youngsters. Whelan would walk into the starting XI and anyone saying he would be signing as cover is crazy. 

FarmerTweedy
1 hour ago, DS98 said:

Folk saying Whelan would only be signed as cover for Haring. He’s 10x the football player PH is even at 35. I’m a huge fan of Haring and he’s been one of our best signings in recent years. Its an exciting thought if we could get them both in a formation. 

I'm not sure he's still 10x now, but he's certainly been a much higher calibre over his career, and was far from finished just three months ago! Far more mental than the argument that he'd only be cover for Haring though is the argument from one poster that he would be better than Haring, and keep Haring out of the team, but that we shouldn't sign him because it wouldn't be very nice for Haring if he was kept out of the team by a better player! 

3 minutes ago, pointon said:

Has he signed yet wind and piss aside?????

I don't know but...

the training on the morning before a match would, I imagine, concentrate heavily on the final preparations, tactics etc for tomorrow's game and if he is there you'd have to think he will be involved to some extent at Sheepland.

Just a guess though.

As an aside, I presume that as we don't have the same advantages as the uglies, that even if Whelan did sign today, we wouldn't be able to get him registered in time for the game tomorrow ?

Edited by Busby8

Bazzas right boot
34 minutes ago, Lord BJ said:

Well that seems to be aimed at me, as I used the term meh and Dave responded to my post. 

Where did I say that he was going to be a long term signing or he would be giving a 10 year contract or imply anything of that sort? That is just you making up stuff to try and dismantle a argument that doesn’t actually exist. It’s ‘bear over there’ stuff 🤷🏻‍♂️

Whilst people, who don’t agree with you aren’t  ‘mental, they just have a different opinion from you. That’s just some comfort blanket for people, when they have difficulty with people who have different opinions,  it’s a flawed logic and arrogance because it’s essentially founded on the belief only reason people can disagree with them is because they are ‘mental’. 😄 

Though saying that making things up that people haven’t said doesn’t seem the workings of the most rational mind.. Did voices in your head tell you i said that 😄

It wasn't aimed at you specifically, there's a lot of folk not seemingly impressed. 

The short term thing was in a reply direct to another poster, so calm your jets. 

It is a short term signing, but relative to us, he would be a quality signing. 

Everyone is allowed a difference of opinion, in anything in life, that also reserves me the right to call folks opinion- mental. 

A guy that is a proven international, played almost 40 games at a good level last season is a relative coup for us and others who think differently are imo mental (relative to football). 

By mental,  I mean if this type of signing is not what you'd like, desire or want, what do you expect? 

Hearts are in the Scottish league and have a very limited budget, so if this type of player isn't to your liking then I question your overall expectations for us, therefor come to the conclusion of mental, again in a football sense. 

I have no idea of your overall mental state. 

For example, some folk have the opinion that the earth is flat, as above, everyone is entitled to an opinion, but I am also allowed to say you are plain wrong or mental. That is also an opinion. 

Edited by Smith's right boot

Bazzas right boot
28 minutes ago, jonnothejambo said:

People that think he would sign as cover for Haring.

:rofl:

Utter planks.

If Whelan signs, he will be an integral part of the team, assuming he can stay fit. 

You don't sign players who have played more than thirty games in a team promoted to England's top league then come up here as cover.

Clueless. Utterly clueless.

100%

Again, mental. 😂

6 minutes ago, SM Sheffield said:

I’m confident I’ve seen Glenn Whelan live more than anyone else on this forum. He would be a tremendous signing and not just for his football ability and hard work in the midfield area. His professionalism would also be a huge asset to the squad and team too, he would be another excellent senior pro to help out the youngsters. Whelan would walk into the starting XI and anyone saying he would be signing as cover is crazy. 

And there we have it, the opinion of someone who has actually seen the guy play. I’ll take that over the opinions of those who have seen him on TV a couple of times recently.

FarmerTweedy
1 hour ago, yansinjambo365 said:

Yes, Levein ruled it out, but that doesn't mean it won't happen! 😀

Robbo-Jambo
38 minutes ago, DH1986 said:

Give him a year with a years option.

Think that's exactly what will happen. 

10 minutes ago, SM Sheffield said:

Cheers! That will do for me! 👍

I doubt Levein is that bothered about him being cleared in time to play tomorrow.    He'll only be bothered about getting him at all.      Managers take a longer term view than fans anyway.

If he's training with the team then the manager might see a reason to choose to leave him out for an imminent game.     The season is not all about one match.

Bazzas right boot
1 minute ago, Lord BJ said:

Where if you actually said what you meant it might help. Seriously it would help discussion massively.

Your constant misrepresenting or argument is down as you really struggle with debate. Mainly because you lack any form of intelligence or logic and your only hope of winning an argument,. Your not interested in hearts as much as winning a argument as that’s all you have  in life. That’s pretty sad

Hey it’s just an opinion 👍

Tbh, I answered a poster direct, you then came steaming In. 

That would Indicate you want an argument or at least a debate. 

On topic, I made my case very clear why he'd be a good signing , a proven international with almost 40 games in the championship last season. I stated that in an earlier post. Very clear, crystal in fact. 

You are also the one throwing personal Insults about left, right and centre. 

A person who resorts to this is usually the one that lacks any form of logic or intelligence as they cannot back up thier opinion with substance, so instead resort to cheap personal digs and insults. 

Irony, eh? 

30 minutes ago, SM Sheffield said:

good to hear. there is a risk in signing him as other have said that other players have come to scotland thinking it would be easy and failing. however he seems like he has the character to not do that and do well up here. it does also mean if he does well when haring is fit those two might work well together (depending upon formation) in the tougher games v OF giving our attackers more freedom

2 hours ago, DC_92 said:

Hughes had spent his prior seasons in Australia and India and before that he barely got any game time for Brighton in the Championship.

Whelan played 38 games for Aston Villa last season and, by all accounts, had an excellent second half of the season.

They might have similar CVs but, crucially, the most recent part of Whelan's looks far better.

Boy at my work saw Villa a couple of dozen times last year and literally refused to believe we had a chance of signing him.  Said he was POTY since Xmas for Villa, and would be the best signing any Scottish team made this close season, bar none.

4 minutes ago, HighTimes said:

Boy at my work saw Villa a couple of dozen times last year and literally refused to believe we had a chance of signing him.  Said he was POTY since Xmas for Villa, and would be the best signing any Scottish team made this close season, bar none.

i had a look on transfermarket and his run of starting games after christmas seemed to co-inside with villa winning more games

Mr Elwood P
10 minutes ago, milky_26 said:

good to hear. there is a risk in signing him as other have said that other players have come to scotland thinking it would be easy and failing. however he seems like he has the character to not do that and do well up here. it does also mean if he does well when haring is fit those two might work well together (depending upon formation) in the tougher games v OF giving our attackers more freedom

5 minutes ago, HighTimes said:

Not having that. Someone with 15 posts stated he would be a massive risk and would likely be back up to Bozanic and Cochrane. Don’t want anyone, who have actually seen the lad, dragging this thread down with the usual positivity that infests JKB. It’s a no from me lads.

9 minutes ago, Mr Elwood P said:

Not having that. Someone with 15 posts stated he would be a massive risk and would likely be back up to Bozanic and Cochrane. Don’t want anyone, who have actually seen the lad, dragging this thread down with the usual positivity that infests JKB. It’s a no from me lads.

fine i'll get ma coat

Mr Elwood P
2 minutes ago, milky_26 said:

fine i'll get ma coat

I didn’t actually mean to quote you there, it was the other positive post above yours that I intended to highlight! 

• davemclaren locked this topic