Glenn Whelan signs one year deal with Hearts (title updated)

Roman1874

35 minutes ago, Stuart G said:

I hope we sign Glen Whelan, I think he would be an excellent signing for us, just don't let him take penalties, missed one for Villa last season in added time that done my coupon for over £300, air was blue and I called him all the names under the sun.

Villa fans apparently call that missed penalty the best one ever, because it led directly to Bruce being sacked and replaced with Dean Smith :)

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• BarneyBattles44

• Notts1874

• Victorian

• Morgan

34 minutes ago, Stuart G said:

I hope we sign Glen Whelan, I think he would be an excellent signing for us, just don't let him take penalties, missed one for Villa last season in added time that done my coupon for over £300, air was blue and I called him all the names under the sun.

I feel for you.

I still hate Stranraer after they lost a goal in the last minute to draw about 10 years ago.  Would have won about 3 grand.

*******s.

2 minutes ago, HighTimes said:

Villa fans apparently call that missed penalty the best one ever, because it led directly to Bruce being sacked and replaced with Dean Smith :)

If I remember correctly they were 3-1 down with 5 to go, midweek game and fans baying for blood, scored twice and then Whelan missed the penalty in 95th minute, Bruce went just after that.

AlphonseCapone
43 minutes ago, Jammy T said:

Who the **** is Al?

Who the **** are you like... 

TyphoonJambo
11 minutes ago, Lovecraft said:

I feel for you.

I still hate Stranraer after they lost a goal in the last minute to draw about 10 years ago.  Would have won about 3 grand.

*******s.

Hereford for me. That day they beat Arsenal in the FA cup done me for 100K. Why i even had it on my coupon I'll never lnow. Other 13 results came up. 

Unknown user
1 minute ago, TypoonJambo said:

Hereford for me. That day they beat Arsenal in the FA cup done me for 100K. Why i even had it on my coupon I'll never lnow. Other 13 results came up. 

Bolton for me, cost me 50k+ when they beat Man U at old Trafford for the second year in a row in the late 90s IIRC.

Like you, the other 12 or so had come in, I was in SUCH a mood at work on Monday morning. 

31 minutes ago, JamboAl said:

Could I have a sweetie too?

It's "OFF" the shelf, not "OF"

Already been corrected  - keep up! 😉

25 minutes ago, Bridge of Djoum said:

You can call me Al...

If you want.

You can call me Betty...

Franksluckypants

Essential if we want to do anything this season that a decent CM comes in. Without PH we have looked fairly poor (...slight understatement) in the league cup matches.

Whelan in one of those slots would be a great signing. At the very least he should help improve our league placing this year! At the moment I'd take that...

10 minutes ago, Smithee said:

Bolton for me, cost me 50k+ when they beat Man U at old Trafford for the second year in a row in the late 90s IIRC.

Like you, the other 12 or so had come in, I was in SUCH a mood at work on Monday morning. 

14 minutes ago, TypoonJambo said:

****   Don't feel so bad now.

17 minutes ago, Cruickshank for Scotland said:

Already been corrected  - keep up! 😉

It's a pity you weren't able to keep up with your English teacher(s)

Edited by JamboAl

What’s the holdup with the announcement?  

Has he signed or not?  It’s all gone just a bit quiet on this deal.

1 minute ago, Deevers said:

The GFA are in contact with Celtic and Rangers to see if it's OK to open their offices this afternoon.

4 minutes ago, Deevers said:

Ken, come on Hearts. If he hasn't quite signed yet can we have an announcement telling us.

There is every chance he has signed and we just haven’t announced it to keep Aberdeen guessing on how we’ll set up.

Inch Hearts
53 minutes ago, Bridge of Djoum said:

Glenn Whelan would be an excellent signing for us. One year with an option, if he'd accept that. 

Definitely. Some coup. 

19 minutes ago, JamboAl said:

The GFA are in contact with Celtic and Rangers to see if it's OK to open their offices this afternoon.

Aye, that is quite likely. They pull the strings after all.

I must admit when I heard Whelan was 35 is was a little underwhelmed but looking at his stats with Villa he could do a job for a season if he can stay injury free. I still would like to see a right sided midfielder with real pace as I do worry that Clare & Walker 

will just not be good enough.

8 minutes ago, innerjambo said:

Daily Ranger saying next week now.

:muggy:

Eddie the Eagle still saying today, I know who I believe.

Hungry hippo
8 minutes ago, graygo said:

Eddie the Eagle still saying today, I know who I believe.

I believe in Eddie but you don't get many signings announced late on a Saturday so wouldn't surprise me if it drags on a bit longer.

As long as we sign him I'm happy. Prob too late for him to start tomorrow anyway.

BackOfTheNet

The pessimist in me says IF he has signed because the chances of him playing tomorrow are slim to nothing then they’re holding off any announcement until Monday. You know, damage limitation may be required, if there’s a bad result tomorrow a signing announcement may be used to up spirits. If a decent or good result tomorrow then it’s let the good times roll. Of course this is all even IF he’s signed which we don’t really know.

i wish jj was my dad
3 hours ago, Jammy T said:

But one of Scotland’s best players, just signed for us having been managed by Levein for 18 months, says Levein is the main reason he signed.....

Who to believe?

Now that's a poser isn't it? :huh:

1 hour ago, BackOfTheNet said:

The pessimist in me says IF he has signed because the chances of him playing tomorrow are slim to nothing then they’re holding off any announcement until Monday. You know, damage limitation may be required, if there’s a bad result tomorrow a signing announcement may be used to up spirits. If a decent or good result tomorrow then it’s let the good times roll. Of course this is all even IF he’s signed which we don’t really know.

You are a cheerie half empty one now aren't you

BackOfTheNet
4 minutes ago, brux said:

You are a cheerie half empty one now aren't you

Actually not normally. And if you look at my previous posts I diverge from those usually pessimistic about some of our best talents. But with this specific scenarios and again IF what has been said is correct (that he’s already signed) then that’s what I’m guessing the delay of the announcement is. That’s all.

Still not signed?

just in case he doesn’t  can I be the first to say he was rubbish anyway over the hill never wanted him etc etc etc 😀

Phil D. Corners
Just now, BackOfTheNet said:

Actually not normally. And if you look at my previous posts I diverge from those usually pessimistic about some of our best talents. But with this specific scenarios and again IF what has been said is correct (that he’s already signed) then that’s what I’m guessing the delay of the announcement is. That’s all.

I’ve never known Hearts to delay news of a signing. 

Standard routine is player signs, a teaser on Twitter, normally 👀, the story follows  on Website, then a interview. The press get the story after. 

If Hearts delay the news it gives the chance for another news site to break the news. 

I just think he, and a lot of players, are waiting for premier/championship window to close next week. 

pettigrewsstylist

What age is this guy?. Are we really talking to him? 

Not remotely ITK!

52 minutes ago, pettigrewsstylist said:

Not remotely ITK!

21 and no 😏

54 minutes ago, pettigrewsstylist said:

Not remotely ITK!

I don't know if his age has been mentioned anywhere :greggy:

FarmerTweedy
4 hours ago, Taffin said:

Tbf not all Villa fans say that. Those I've spoken to have been pretty mixed in their views.

Personally, I reckon he'll be solid and individually really good but not good enough to transform our fortunes on his own. We'll still need a dynamic central midfielder if we want to be in the mix for Europe.

I think one of the big things about bringing in a player of his type, calibre and experience would be that his influence could potentially go well beyond just what he does himself on the pitch, and help the rest of the midfield around him to deliver more by freeing them up a bit to focus more on the attacking/creative side of game. 

10 minutes ago, Jamhammer said:

I don't know if his age has been mentioned anywhere :greggy:

Thought he was 79, think I read that somewhere, but I'm not itk or anyfink.

Robbo-Jambo
1 hour ago, pettigrewsstylist said:

Not remotely ITK!

Fairly easy to find his age tbh 😳

rudi must stay
10 minutes ago, jr ewing said:

At least he hasn't said no. 

Heard our offer and enjoyed a round of golf an hour later

Can't say I'm too optimistic

6 hours ago, RobNox said:

It's off the shelf.  Do I get a sweetie too?

:lol: 

15 minutes ago, rudi must stay said:

Who paid? 

17 minutes ago, rudi must stay said:

Maybe he'd booked before he heard our offer. What would you expect him to do after hearing our offer? Asking for a friend

rudi must stay
4 minutes ago, Jamhammer said:

Maybe he'd booked before he heard our offer. What would you expect him to do after hearing our offer? Asking for a friend

Sign

2 minutes ago, rudi must stay said:

Sign

Mebbes got opshuns? Also some posters say he has signed.

Edited by Jamhammer

Robbo-Jambo
2 minutes ago, jambopilms said:

So did he train with us today or no ?

No he was playing golf again 😋

If he isn't announced by Monday morning I'd say there's a fair chance he won't sign at all. No danger it normally takes this long with a free agent unless he's had other offers elsewhere and he is weighing his options up. 

Come on Glenn just sign ffs 

9 minutes ago, PTBCAL said:

Talking of Glens.... Middleton going to Hibs. Not a bad signing

Just read about this. Loan signing apparently. With all their millions I'm amazed they haven't tabled an offer to buy outright.................... 

• davemclaren locked this topic