Top Posters In This Topic

• Maroon Sailor

• Morgan

• Big Drew

• The White Cockade

1 hour ago, Big Drew said:

Who remembers this player?

Eintracht 3-1 (FR) 24.4.1985 Jim Cowell rare appearance (2).jpg

Jim Cowell, played once for Hearts in a league game , a defeat at St Mirren, played at Ayr United for a few years 

1 minute ago, jbee647 said:

Jim Cowell, played once for Hearts in a league game , a defeat at St Mirren, played at Ayr United for a few years 

Spot on with that answer JBee - it is indeed Jim Cowell. Big laddie for whom great things were expected from him, given his supposed great form in the Juniors with Shettleston. Went on to play with lower league senior clubs after we let him go.

Fort Vallance
7 hours ago, Big Drew said:

Eamonn Bannon, Gordon Grandison, Ken Halley, Gordon Brown, Paul Rodger, Ian Paterson. 

That's tremendous. Do you get out much ?

allanthejambo
7 hours ago, Big Drew said:

Yep Jonno, it's Saughton Enclosure - the easy part eh? 👍

Here's to Drew Busby he's the leader o the team,

the finest centre forward the world has ever seen

he's always in the centre he's always scoring goals

and as for Derek Parlane you can stick him up yer hole.

Na Na Na Na Na Na N a Na Na

53 minutes ago, Fort Vallance said:

That's tremendous. Do you get out much ?

Ha! Ha! Thanks to Covid - not much just Now! I did the research for "Hearts In Art" back in 1995, so became a bit too knowledgable on all our players. 🤣

5 minutes ago, allanthejambo said:

Here's to Drew Busby he's the leader o the team,

the finest centre forward the world has ever seen

he's always in the centre he's always scoring goals

and as for Derek Parlane you can stick him up yer hole.

Na Na Na Na Na Na N a Na Na

That was a brilliant song back in the day. We used to change it depending upon who we were playing. Alan Gordon, Dixie Deans, Joe Harper and the likes often got stuck up holes as well ! :jambobanana:

5 hours ago, jbee647 said:

68565305-12E5-4AE5-9879-ADBE2523E028.jpeg

55A7A69E-3CD5-40F1-9C7F-ADB297E3CCC7.jpeg

4244C69C-8304-4B7F-B145-C9191A6814A9.jpeg

Jimmy Greaves and Alan Gilzean. Donald Ford, Sneddon, Gallacher? Cant?  I don't remember that strip. Can't even remember the game so I might have been at work. Centenary match v Spurs 74, I presume.

Edited by upgotheheads

35 minutes ago, Big Drew said:

Ha! Ha! Thanks to Covid - not much just Now! I did the research for "Hearts In Art" back in 1995, so became a bit too knowledgable on all our players. 🤣

Great book, Drew! 👍

2 hours ago, Wilson said:

Anyone remember this- that is Cruickie in goal- where is this?

7958A273-3CA2-4FC8-A38D-1238FD4B3B33.jpeg

Was reported in the Sunday Post as Sammy the Swan on the wing. Took 3 of Weegies Finest to get the beast off the park, and back out to the adjacent River Clyde.

SectionDJambo
1 hour ago, Angel eyes said:

6826-AA93-4139-4-B41-BCE4-FEF8-A240-CF02

1 hour ago, Archimedes said:

Frank Liddell ?

Possibly after scoring the winner for promotion, and maybe the 1st division championship, against Airdrie at Tynecastle?

1 hour ago, upgotheheads said:

Jimmy Greaves and Alan Gilzean. Donald Ford, Sneddon, Gallacher? Cant?  I don't remember that strip. Can't even remember the game so I might have been at work. Centenary match v Spurs 74, I presume.

Hearts v Spurs 1969, It is indeed Arthur Thomson and Jimmy Greaves

we played Spurs in 1971, won 2-1 Roy Kay and Neil Murray scoring

and the Centenary match in 1974, Donald Ford scoring a penalty in a 1-1 draw

jambogirlglasgow
On 04/12/2020 at 19:22, Morgan said:

Hi Jambogirl 👍

It would have been 1974 or 1975.

Hope that helps, and that it is your dad in the photo.

Let me know!

Thanks for that- he was earlier than that. He used to go every week, to the home games then the reserve games alternate weeks apparently. Shame, I’d have liked it to have been him in the photo. He’s 85 now! 

34 minutes ago, jambogirlglasgow said:

Thanks for that- he was earlier than that. He used to go every week, to the home games then the reserve games alternate weeks apparently. Shame, I’d have liked it to have been him in the photo. He’s 85 now! 

No bother, JGG.

Thanks for letting me know.  Great to hear that your dad is still going at 85!  Brilliant stuff.  

1 hour ago, Angel eyes said:

B3-D5-C293-723-B-4009-A073-35-F7-B35339-

Marinello in the middle with the wee scrote, Colin More, peeping over Peters neck. 

been here before
18 minutes ago, Morgan said:

Marinello in the middle with the wee scrote, Colin More, peeping over Peters neck. 

I read his autobiography quite recently. Its very honest and quite self ctitical at times. Better than I expected.

1 minute ago, been here before said:

I read his autobiography quite recently. Its very honest and quite self ctitical at times. Better than I expected.

Thanks for that, I’ll maybe have a wee look-see.

As for Colin More.  😩

2 hours ago, SectionDJambo said:

Possibly after scoring the winner for promotion, and maybe the 1st division championship, against Airdrie at Tynecastle?

Correct! Crowd of over 13,000 that night which was a big gate that season.

Airdrieonians 1-0 (H) 30.4.1980 (Div1) Liddell heads the winner.jpg

52 minutes ago, been here before said:

Called "Fallen Idle". Too much money sometimes and didn't know how to handle it. A perfect example of a 'fool and their money being easily parted.' He was well past his 'sell by date' by the time Hearts signed him. 

Peter Marinello 1981-82.jpg

On 08/12/2020 at 15:45, Maroon Sailor said:

True - though that might be a little bit of segregation in the corner

Away fans should never have been allowed anywhere near the shed never mind in it

Did the Celtic fans not take over it in one game,

there was one game i can remember watching from the Gorgie Road end the fighting seemed to last a while.

Maroon Sailor
1 minute ago, benny said:

there was one game i can remember watching from the Gorgie Road end the fighting seemed to last a while.

I don't know but it wouldn't surprise me knowing that lot

SectionDJambo
49 minutes ago, benny said:

That may have been the cup replay, in the 70s, where Hearts fans got there early and took our normal place down from the refreshments kiosk. Normal place that is, for all home games except against Celtic and Rangers. It was the norm for them to take over the whole covered terrace apart from the corner at the School End.

They used their huge numbers to charge and remove the Hearts fans in there.

Segregation gave us our ground back, and confined both of them to the Gorgie Road end of the terracing.

Anyone who thinks that segregation isn’t a good thing, can’t have been around before it was introduced.

Maroon Sailor
5 minutes ago, SectionDJambo said:

That may have been the cup replay, in the 70s, where Hearts fans got there early and took our normal place down from the refreshments kiosk. Normal place that is, for all home games except against Celtic and Rangers. It was the norm for them to take over the whole covered terrace apart from the corner at the School End.

They used their huge numbers to charge and remove the Hearts fans in there.

Segregation gave us our ground back, and confined both of them to the Gorgie Road end of the terracing.

Anyone who thinks that segregation isn’t a good thing, can’t have been around before it was introduced.

I've always heard that Hearts and Hibs fans would go to the derby match together and watch the match together without any problems. The uglies have always been nasty pieces of work.

jambos are go!
3 minutes ago, Maroon Sailor said:

I've always heard that Hearts and Hibs fans would go to the derby match together and watch the match together without any problems. The uglies have always been nasty pieces of work.

True but there was always areas where fans also congregated. The School end for Hibs fans at Tynecastle and the Dunbar end for us at Easter Road. 

With fewer season tickets sold there was little or no segregation in the ground, enclosure or Stands until hooliganism became prevalent.

SectionDJambo
4 minutes ago, Maroon Sailor said:

There was usually almost an agreed segregation at Tynecastle for derbies. We would be under the refreshments kiosk, in the covered terracing, and they would be further along. Elsewhere in the ground, it was mixed, although Hibs fans, mostly, went to the School End, as I recall. There were skirmishes, fairly regularly, but nothing too serious. Certainly not like that Celtic cup replay. 

Anything other than an argy bargy was usually confined to where the 2 groups of younger fans were congregated, either at Tynecastle or in the Cave at Easter Road.

New Years Day derbies had many fans bringing along their bottle and carry outs, with no obvious sign of increased bother.

avhudtheteeshirt
20 minutes ago, Maroon Sailor said:

Very true, we were always able to stand with your Hibee pals for the game, always some good banter during the game.

To my mind the recurring problems only really started when segregation was brought in, yes you had fights on the terraces before, but the segregation channeled it into areas that touched. 

SectionDJambo
13 minutes ago, avhudtheteeshirt said:

Very true, we were always able to stand with your Hibee pals for the game, always some good banter during the game.

To my mind the recurring problems only really started when segregation was brought in, yes you had fights on the terraces before, but the segregation channeled it into areas that touched. 

Sorry, but I have to disagree.

Going to home matches against Celtic and Rangers had been very intimidating for many Hearts fans. Our home ground was just taken over and you felt you couldn't even cheer on your team in most areas of the terracing. I once got attacked,as a young boy, just for standing in the School End with my Hearts scarf on, by a bunch of Celtic thugs. That all changed with segregation. 

It did prevent people going to derbies together but, in my opinion, it made the whole experience of going to big games safer and more enjoyable.

51 minutes ago, avhudtheteeshirt said:

Interesting discussion this, about segregation.

I agree with teeshirt. Most fans, then and now, went/go to the game to behave. A minority spoil it, and even revel in the bad behaviour. Occasionally on Kickback, some contributors will look back fondly on various battles and rammies.

Before segregation, there were parts of the ground that would be flash points and parts of the ground that were mixed. You might go to a derby with your mates, as I sometimes did, though this was not always a happy experience in an era when Hibs mostly won. I'd love to have gone to the games with my Hibee pals post-1983. Imagine going to the 5-1 game with a Hibee! It also adds to the cup final atmosphere because at the end of the game, half the ground hasn't emptied. Slightly off topic, I was pleased with how many Hearts fans stayed well after the final whistle at the 2019 final to support the team, who'd given a good account of themselves. It meant a longer wait at Mount Florida in the rain, but that's what supporters do.

In the old days, you'd also rub shoulders with weegie OF supporters, most of whom were perfectly decent guys, up for some banter. Nothing to be afraid of. I always liked Motherwell because some Well fans shared some of their sweets at a match in the 60s.

Now, with seats and segregation, things are both safer and more tribal. If you're standing beside someone you don't shout 'you're scum and you know you are' in their face, mostly because you've probably already figured out that they're not scum. But from the safe distance of your seat in a different stand, where, after the game, fans head in different directions, people will shout all kinds of foul insults. That 'we're from the capital' song. Dearie me.

For what it's worth, I accept that segregation is here to stay. But it is a disgraceful state of affairs that significant numbers of grown men (and it is men) can't be trusted to behave in a public place.

There's a real problem today, made worse by social media, of 'othering', which means treating people differently based on who they are. For Trump, it's the Mexicans. For Brexiters, it's Europeans. For blood and soil nationalists, it's the English. For football fans, our rivals have too easily become our enemies.

We need to grow up, the better to enjoy life.

Time to get this thread back onto what it’s supposed to be about. Here’s a cracking photo in my collection. What has happened? what is the date? Can you name the Rangers players and the Hearts player?

Rangers (H) 2-4 (Lge) Jan 1974, Brown scores for Hearts.jpg

13 hours ago, Big Drew said:

Called "Fallen Idle". Too much money sometimes and didn't know how to handle it. A perfect example of a 'fool and their money being easily parted.' He was well past his 'sell by date' by the time Hearts signed him. 

Peter Marinello 1981-82.jpg

I saw,him play for Portsmouth.

6 minutes ago, Big Drew said:

Time to get this thread back onto what it’s supposed to be about. Here’s a cracking photo in my collection. What has happened? what is the date? Can you name the Rangers players and the Hearts player?

Jim Brown the Hearts player.

Peter McCloy, Colin Jackdon, Tom Forsyth and possibly Alex MacDonald/Derek Parlane. 1975/76?

5 minutes ago, John Findlay said:

Jim Brown the Hearts player.

Peter McCloy, Colin Jackdon, Tom Forsyth and possibly Alex MacDonald/Derek Parlane. 1975/76?

Jim Brown is the Jambo and Peter McCloy is the goalie - rest incorrect though John.

Edited by Big Drew
full info not given

7 minutes ago, Big Drew said:

Jim Brown is the Jambo and Peter McCloy is the goalie - rest incorrect though John.

👍

7 minutes ago, Big Drew said:

What has happened as well?

I think the ball crossed the line, but no goal given.. No8 might be Bobby Russell

1 minute ago, John Findlay said:

I think the ball crossed the line, but no goal given.. No8 might be Bobby Russell

I got Jim Brown, i cant even see the goalie😧.

Maroon Sailor
30 minutes ago, Big Drew said:

Ball hit the stanchion and came out