Jump to content

Oldies - Name the players


Maroon Sailor

Recommended Posts

  • Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

  • Maroon Sailor

    525

  • Morgan

    291

  • Big Drew

    117

  • The White Cockade

    81

been here before

Off topic I know but this training/drill top. If the club are going to keep going down the retro merchandise route then get some of these made pronto!!

 

20190219_092231.jpg.28f28df62a6ab3c2e1588977cbe58c34.jpg

 

Anyway apologies for the brief interlude.

Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, Maroon Sailor said:

IMG_3088.JPG

Anderson, ?Oliver, Thomson, Cruckie, Jim Brown, Clunie,Winchester

Lynch, Don't know, Hegarty, Townsend, George Fleming

Link to post
Share on other sites
SectionDJambo
Just now, deejtee said:

Anderson, ?Oliver, Thomson, Cruckie, Jim Brown, Clunie,Winchester

Lynch, Don't know, Hegarty, Townsend, George Fleming

 Your “don’t know” is the incomparable Donald Ford.

Link to post
Share on other sites
SectionDJambo
37 minutes ago, Maroon Sailor said:

IMG_3097.JPG

Dave Clunie of Hearts with Davie Robb of  Aberdeen. 

Robb was a stalwart for Aberdeen for a long time. Clunie never really recovered from allowing Arthur Duncan to run away from him to score the winner for Hibs in a cup tie at Tynecastle. Decent player though.

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, SectionDJambo said:

 Your “don’t know” is the incomparable Donald Ford.

I don't think it is unless my eyesight is worse than my memory. It would be shameful if I am wrong as he was my favourite player as a young fan.

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, deejtee said:

I don't think it is unless my eyesight is worse than my memory. It would be shameful if I am wrong as he was my favourite player as a young fan.

 

Donald Ford in my opinion. The label over his face doesn't help.

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, SectionDJambo said:

Dave Clunie, Peter Oliver, John Gallagher and Andy Lynch.

 

Peter Oliver was a great prospect, left us and wasn't heard much of after that.

was it Peterborough he went to?

Link to post
Share on other sites
Fort Vallance
1 hour ago, upgotheheads said:

 

Peter Oliver was a great prospect, left us and wasn't heard much of after that.

was it Peterborough he went to?

Fairly sure he had a bad injury when he left us and pretty much retired. Happy to be corrected.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Fort Vallance
47 minutes ago, gorgiedad said:

Didnt he go to Everton with Alex Young?Or am I losing it completely?

All these players are 70's Young was a fair bit before that.

Link to post
Share on other sites
The White Cockade
52 minutes ago, gorgiedad said:

Didnt he go to Everton with Alex Young?Or am I losing it completely?

Peter Oliver was much later than the 'Golden Vision'

Think it was George Thompson who went to Everton with Alex

Link to post
Share on other sites
53 minutes ago, gorgiedad said:

Didnt he go to Everton with Alex Young?Or am I losing it completely?

 

 

It was George Thomson who went with  Alex Young

Link to post
Share on other sites
Maroon Sailor

Thought George Fleming was Cammy Fraser at first but the year of the pic made me think sgain

Link to post
Share on other sites
SectionDJambo
24 minutes ago, Fort Vallance said:

Fairly sure he had a bad injury when he left us and pretty much retired. Happy to be corrected.

I think you're right. He got a bad injury that he never really recovered from. An excellent player at his best.

Link to post
Share on other sites
SectionDJambo
2 minutes ago, Maroon Sailor said:

GW816H655.jpeg.jpg

Ian Sneddon, Eddie Thomson, Jim Brown and Alan Anderson. Eddie Thomson died, from cancer, far too young. Whitehill Welfare named their wee lounge bar after him. A nice tribute.

The Celtic players are Dixie Deans and Kenny Dalglish.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Maroon Sailor said:

IMG_3088.JPG

Great photos mate.takes me back to being a young lad on the terracing. I can almost smell the breweries. Is that an Airdrie player in the background?

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, upgotheheads said:

 

Donald Ford in my opinion. The label over his face doesn't help.

That's who I think as well but with Hegarty and Winchester in the photo I cannot recollect we ever played with 3 strikers.  As a real outside guess I'd suggest Tommy Veitch but maybe I'm clutching at straws 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, upgotheheads said:

 

Donald Ford in my opinion. The label over his face doesn't help.

Pretty certain it’s Ford too.

 

My only slight doubt is his hair isn’t as impeccable as it normally was.

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, deejtee said:

Anderson, ?Oliver, Thomson, Cruckie, Jim Brown, Clunie,Winchester

Lynch, Don't know, Hegarty, Townsend, George Fleming

 

I got them all except Lynch and Ford, whilst thinking 'where's Ford?' Doesn't look much like him but it must be right enough (and now I see from other posts that it might not be - in fact it looks nothing like him). 

Edited by 4marsbars
Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, reaths17 said:

blackley, Stanton, murray, anderson

 

Hibs won that 2-0 at the start of the 72-73 season. Easily identified because it was the game they wore green sleeves to contrast with our Ajax strip. 

 

We'll say nothing about the next derby.

Link to post
Share on other sites

On a related topic; I used to really enjoy when @Morgan did his “Oldies” threads. Even when the topic was before my time, I enjoyed reading the memories and views of Hearts supporters, about players I had only read about, or seen limited footage of. It would be nice if we had an “Oldies” sub-forum, for that sort of thing. 

 

I seriously doubt such a suggestion will gain much momentum coming from me tbh, so maybe someone who agrees with me, but doesn’t automatically set off steel shutters in the minds of the powers that be could make a case for it? 

 

cheers.

Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, peebles jambo said:

I think the top photo is John Stevenson ans Kenny Aird getting carried

Both correct.

 

My dad and I are actually in the Kenny Aird one!

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, peebles jambo said:

John Stevenson was one of my favorite players when i was a teenager, many many moons ago

Mine too.

 

Him and Busby were my two favourites.  Do you remember George Donaldson?

Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Glib and Shameless Crier said:

On a related topic; I used to really enjoy when @Morgan did his “Oldies” threads. Even when the topic was before my time, I enjoyed reading the memories and views of Hearts supporters, about players I had only read about, or seen limited footage of. It would be nice if we had an “Oldies” sub-forum, for that sort of thing. 

 

I seriously doubt such a suggestion will gain much momentum coming from me tbh, so maybe someone who agrees with me, but doesn’t automatically set off steel shutters in the minds of the powers that be could make a case for it? 

 

cheers.

If you can’t get the go-ahead for the sub-forum, I could start up the Oldies threads again, if folk fancy it?

Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, Glib and Shameless Crier said:

On a related topic; I used to really enjoy when @Morgan did his “Oldies” threads. Even when the topic was before my time, I enjoyed reading the memories and views of Hearts supporters, about players I had only read about, or seen limited footage of. It would be nice if we had an “Oldies” sub-forum, for that sort of thing. 

 

I seriously doubt such a suggestion will gain much momentum coming from me tbh, so maybe someone who agrees with me, but doesn’t automatically set off steel shutters in the minds of the powers that be could make a case for it? 

 

cheers.

Thanks btw :thumbsup:

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Morgan said:

Mine too.

 

Him and Busby were my two favourites.  Do you remember George Donaldson?

stevenson, donaldson and burrell all looked the same when on the pitch same hair cut same general shape, if it was raining it  hard to tell them apart.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, reaths17 said:

stevenson, donaldson and burrell all looked the same when on the pitch same hair cut same general shape, if it was raining it  hard to tell them apart.

Indeed.

 

Sandy Burrell :wow:

Link to post
Share on other sites
SectionDJambo
30 minutes ago, Morgan said:

9755D347-AA39-45B1-B8B8-BD0A1AC58B0D.jpeg

CE21B4A0-828E-46BE-9C68-0E8D204905F2.jpeg

The bottom photo has another gem, of days gone by, by the looks of things.

”Erra macaroon bars, filled rolls and spearimint chewin gum”.

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, deejtee said:

Anderson, ?Oliver, Thomson, Cruckie, Jim Brown, Clunie,Winchester

Lynch, Don't know, Hegarty, Townsend, George Fleming

 

Thomson looks like John Souttar.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, The White Cockade said:

Peter Oliver was much later than the 'Golden Vision'

Think it was George Thompson who went to Everton with Alex

of course it was.Getting my left backs mixed up!

Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, Morgan said:

Thanks btw :thumbsup:

 

?

 

Although in all honesty, my opinion is more likely to destroy any chance of it on here! ?

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Section Q said:

Jimmy Cant......That stare......!!

I’m pretty sure his family had the first tanning salon in Edinburgh.  Gilmerton, I think.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, SectionDJambo said:

Ian Sneddon, Eddie Thomson, Jim Brown and Alan Anderson. Eddie Thomson died, from cancer, far too young. Whitehill Welfare named their wee lounge bar after him. A nice tribute.

The Celtic players are Dixie Deans and Kenny Dalglish.

 

 

Is that the Eddie Thomson who eventually became manager of Australia?  His brother used to live round the corner from me in Peebles when I was a kid.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.




×
×
  • Create New...