• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Maroon Sailor

• Morgan

• Big Drew

• The White Cockade

1 hour ago, Big Drew said:

Time to get this thread back onto what it’s supposed to be about. Here’s a cracking photo in my collection. What has happened? what is the date? Can you name the Rangers players and the Hearts player?

Rangers (H) 2-4 (Lge) Jan 1974, Brown scores for Hearts.jpg

Jim Baxter, Derek Johnstone, No8? (could be Willie Johnstone but wrong number I think) Cruickie and Kenny Aird or Jim Brown (more likely).

1 hour ago, John Findlay said:

Rangers players, Alex Miller, Ally Dawson, John MacDonald and possibly Alfie Conn Jnr?

Alfie Conn left Rangers for Spurs in 1974, made his debut against Hearts in the centenary match, 

Willie Mathieson is definitely in the pic, possibly Kenny Watson

It's Wille Mathieson on the ground nearest to Jim Brown. Not Alfie Conn or Kenny Watson. Still looking for the Ranger (6) and (8) and what has just happened?

2 minutes ago, jbee647 said:

Alfie Conn left Rangers for Spurs in 1974, made his debut against Hearts in the centenary match, 

Willie Mathieson is definitely in the pic, possibly Kenny Watson

Could the goalie be Stewart Kennedy

no idea what happened, was it own goal ?

I would have been at this game

1 minute ago, jbee647 said:

Colin Jackson #6

McDougall #8... a wild guess

9 minutes ago, jbee647 said:

The goalie is Peter McCloy, as confirmed by Big Drew. Colin Jackson is not no6 also confirmed by Big Drew.

2 minutes ago, John Findlay said:

The goalie is Peter McCloy, as confirmed by Big Drew. Colin Jackson is not no6 also confirmed by Big Drew.

10 minutes ago, jbee647 said:

Colin Jackson #6

McDougall #8... a wild guess

#8 could be Tam Forsyth, this is  highlight of my day, WFH is a drag

Edited by jbee647

27 minutes ago, upgotheheads said:

Jim Baxter, Derek Johnstone, No8? (could be Willie Johnstone but wrong number I think) Cruickie and Kenny Aird or Jim Brown (more likely).

Just realised what I did there.

avhudtheteeshirt
4 hours ago, SectionDJambo said:

Sorry, but I have to disagree.

Going to home matches against Celtic and Rangers had been very intimidating for many Hearts fans. Our home ground was just taken over and you felt you couldn't even cheer on your team in most areas of the terracing. I once got attacked,as a young boy, just for standing in the School End with my Hearts scarf on, by a bunch of Celtic thugs. That all changed with segregation. 

It did prevent people going to derbies together but, in my opinion, it made the whole experience of going to big games safer and more enjoyable.

I take your point about the Old Firm supporters, but I was talking about going to games with Hibs fans!

In my day it was common for Hearts and Hibs fans to go to each others games at Tynecastle or Easter Road as away games were harder to get to back then.

In the 60's and early 70's there was a lot less cars on the road so it was buses or trains to away games only.

Still have fond memories of the football specials from Waverley Station, sometimes we herded on to what was more like a cattle truck than passenger train.

1 minute ago, Big Drew said:

It's not an own goal:- By way of a wee clue - looking for a simpler answer. No correct answers to Rangers (6) and (8) as yet.

Alex ohara

On 19/02/2019 at 09:46, deejtee said:

Anderson, ?Oliver, Thomson, Cruckie, Jim Brown, Clunie,Winchester

Lynch, Don't know, Hegarty, Townsend, George Fleming

You don’t know?? 😳

17 hours ago, Big Drew said:

Correct! Crowd of over 13,000 that night which was a big gate that season.

Airdrieonians 1-0 (H) 30.4.1980 (Div1) Liddell heads the winner.jpg

Was at the game with my old Dad - happy memories. ❤️

Andy Penman one of the Rangers players?

Game was obviously televised, hence hearts in white top for viewers with black and white television.

So between 1970-74?

Edited by John Findlay

3 hours ago, Big Drew said:

Time to get this thread back onto what it’s supposed to be about. Here’s a cracking photo in my collection. What has happened? what is the date? Can you name the Rangers players and the Hearts player?

Is the number 8 Bobby McKean?

18 minutes ago, Big Drew said:

It's not an own goal:- By way of a wee clue - looking for a simpler answer. No correct answers to Rangers (6) and (8) as yet.

Stab in the dark that number 6 is Dave Smith?

Not confident though!

13 minutes ago, Angel eyes said:

8-D509-A8-E-3908-45-E6-ACF5-5899-C9-E18-

1981/82

Robbo, Mackay, Bowman, Chris Robertson, Gerry McCoy, Walter Kidd, Jim Jefferies, Alex McDonald and Wllie Gibson included here

A few very good Hearts players there, we had been relegated the previous season, probably the poorest season in living memory, we were virtually relegated by Christmas 1980, that season 81/82 was also poor and we failed to get promoted, I remember losing our final 2 home games to Dumbarton (5-2) and Motherwell (1-0)

bad times

4 hours ago, Big Drew said:

Dave Smith - Rangers No 6, Peter McCloy (Rangers Goalie), Alex O'Hara - Rangers No 8. Willie Mathieson (Ranger on Ground) and Jim Brown scoring (ball in net far left) on 19 January 1974. Highlights were shown on TV as stated by JF and we lost 4-2 with Derek Parlane scoring four. Busby got Hearts first goal when we were already 3-0 down and Brown got a second consolation when we were 4-1 down.

50 minutes ago, Angel eyes said:

1-ED48-D78-2-A09-44-CE-9-D1-F-B9257-AAD7

Back: L to R: Alfie Conn, Bobby Blackwood, John Lough, George Glover, Wilson Brown, George Robertson, Gordon Marshall, Willie Bauld, Billy Higgins, Jimmy Wardhaugh, Tom MacKenzie. Middle: L to R: Don McLeod (Trainer), Andy Bowman, Jim McFadzean, John Cumming, Peter Smith, George Thomson, John MacKintosh, Bobby Kirk, Billy Lindores, John Harvey (Trainer). Front: L to R: Hugh Goldie, Johnny Hamilton, Andy Fraser, Dave Mackay, Ian Crawford, Jimmy Murray, Danny Paton.

Approx Season 56-67 or 57-58? No Willie Duff or Alex Young (National Service) or Jimmy Milne.

1 hour ago, Angel eyes said:

8-D509-A8-E-3908-45-E6-ACF5-5899-C9-E18-

Back L to R: John Robertson, Gary Mackay, Dave Bowman, Calum McReight, John Porter, Chris Robertson, Stuart Gauld, Scott Maxwell, David Scott, Colin Plenderleith. Middle L to R: Andy Stevenson (Physio), Gerry McCoy, Derek O'Connor, Walter Kidd, Stewart McLaren, John Brough, Roddie MacDonald, Ian Westwater, Colin More, Frank Liddell, Jim Jefferies, Gary Liddell, Ian Brown (Coach). Front L to R: Paul McLaughlin, Peter Shields, Alex Hamill, Alex MacDonald, Tony Ford (Manager), Pat Byrne, Derek Strickland, Willie Gibson, Conrad Dick.

Maroon Sailor
6 minutes ago, Sherbet said:

John gallagher  jimmy cant ian sneddon kenny Garland at pittodrie

Jarvie and looks like Davey Robb (12)

5 minutes ago, assessor said:

Great picture, very unusual, 73, 74. Location is a hard one.

Local park by the look of it just stopped the bus and said “this will do”

SectionDJambo
40 minutes ago, Angel eyes said:

750-CD7-F9-B3-F2-4585-A655-F5095-D374-DB
dumbarton v hearts 

Hampden 1976. A wee bit lucky to draw 0-0, but won the replay 3-0. We had so many games on the way to the 1976 final it was crazy.

Jim Jefferies and Drew Busby.

47 minutes ago, Angel eyes said:

26452324-7-D4-A-4-CAB-A632-13-CD837-C598

Before my time, but I recognise Tommy Doc.     Maybe Willie Ormond &  Bobby Evans (??)

49 minutes ago, Archimedes said:

Willie Waddell,top row extreme left. George Young, bottom row in middle

Ian McMillan on George Young's left ?