• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Maroon Sailor

• Morgan

• Big Drew

• The White Cockade

12 hours ago, Lone Striker said:

Wow ...  we obviously had the most skilled  groundsman in Scotland back in the 60s  !!    

Looks like the start of the season. 

The benches in the background for the team photo. 

Give it a couple of months and the pitch would be a mud heap. 

Maroon Sailor

I had to leave early and missed this as the grown ups who took me had enough by then - plus the fact it was toxic with drunken Rangers fans

At least one Jambo it seems stayed to the bitter end

1738908019_RUxNODQ2MjA0Nzk.thumb.jpg.aa087832d6bf1e47bc0292a0ffc2b662.jpg

Maroon Sailor

Can't even think who this is against

Falkirk or Dundee at a guess but then again with Hearts being the home team they would change kit in those days

20201207_093857.jpg.9f76ebe82359925dc6deb87d6a23ddc0.jpg

14 hours ago, Maroon Sailor said:

Looks a bit different from his playing days

65725837_RUxNODQ2MTg5MjE.thumb.jpg.5b92f94dbfb729776df7902cd943f784.jpg

His grandson plays in the same team as my youngest son. He is very good player too. Has a tremendous left foot does his grandson.

8 minutes ago, Maroon Sailor said:

Falkirk or Dundee at a guess but then again with Hearts being the home team they would change kit in those days

Looks like Clyde in the White strip.

Maroon Sailor
Just now, John Findlay said:

His grandson plays in the same team as my youngest son. He is very good player too. Has a tremendous left foot does his grandson.

Nice one 👍 

One incident that stands out for me with Shuggie was at Cappielow.

He was running down the wing and got totally cleaned out. He ended up doing a full turn flying in the air landing on his back.  

Can't remember if he continued or was taken off but it was a nasty one

Maroon Sailor
6 minutes ago, John Findlay said:

Aye - you are probably right

1 hour ago, John Findlay said:

Probably - isn't that Phil Cairney in goals ?   Cousin of actor John Cairney.

7 minutes ago, Lone Striker said:

Probably - isn't that Phil Cairney in goals ?   Cousin of actor John Cairney.

Cpuld be  - or Tommy McCulloch. Tommy "helped" a Willie Gibson shot into the net in the 119th minute of a Cup replay at Shawfield I seem to remember

1 hour ago, Maroon Sailor said:

It might be Dundee Utd before they changed their colours.

SectionDJambo
3 hours ago, John Findlay said:

Reminded me of the match, against Clyde, that Donald Ford had to go into goal for. Our keeper got taken off injured during the second half. Might have been a cup tie. My brain is suggesting a 3-1 Hearts win.

18 minutes ago, SectionDJambo said:

Reminded me of the match, against Clyde, that Donald Ford had to go into goal for. Our keeper got taken off injured during the second half. Might have been a cup tie. My brain is suggesting a 3-1 Hearts win.

The photo is v Clyde in the League Cup in 1970 - we lost 2-1, with Tommy McCulloch in the Clyde goal. I remember the match you are talking about - a 3-1 in the Scottish Cup in 1974. It was 1-0 right up until the end when there was a late flurry of goals. 

4 hours ago, John Findlay said:

Pretty sure it is - the collar / cuffs were red (ie they seem don't match the black shorts) so likely not DUFC. 

I remember the cup game - Donald Ford had to go in goals & faced a penalty kick and looked like a 10 year old in goals. 

I went to the replay on an SMT double decker "football special". Absolutely mental scenes there and back including a stop at Harthill Services where there was nothing to buy because it had already been stripped bare by earlier Hearts buses. 

10 minutes ago, NANOJAMBO said:

Pretty sure it is - the collar / cuffs were red (ie they seem don't match the black shorts) so likely not DUFC. 

I remember the cup game - Donald Ford had to go in goals & faced a penalty kick and looked like a 10 year old in goals. 

I went to the replay on an SMT double decker "football special". Absolutely mental scenes there and back including a stop at Harthill Services where there was nothing to buy because it had already been stripped bare by earlier Hearts buses. 

The game Donald Ford went in goals for, we won 3-1 at Tynecastle.

3 hours ago, JTJ said:

Cpuld be  - or Tommy McCulloch. Tommy "helped" a Willie Gibson shot into the net in the 119th minute of a Cup replay at Shawfield I seem to remember

Just remember it being a horrendous game

5 hours ago, Maroon Sailor said:

My photo file has this as: Hearts v Clyde (League Cup) 15.8.1970 Ford scoring for Hearts.

Maroon Sailor

1976 League Cup semi final and another dodgy penalty

441109267_download(3).thumb.jpeg.d0368abf30911ee8a9b6729c633d658b.jpeg

Match was played on a Monday night for some reason

Bobby Prentice got sent off and Graham Shaw nearly did as well for dissent

Brian Wilson - possibly the worse Hearts keeper I've seen though Pereira has made me think about that now.

Perth to Paisley
11 hours ago, FinnBarr Saunders said:

That penalty against Der Hun was a shocker.

Actually it only cleared the bar by an inch or two; .... but he hit it so ferociously that it rose and rose.

Can't remember who their keeper was but I'm sure he was glad he didn't get behind it!

Maroon Sailor
6 minutes ago, Perth to Paisley said:

Actually it only cleared the bar by an inch or two; .... but he hit it so ferociously that it rose and rose.

Can't remember who their keeper was but I'm sure he was glad he didn't get behind it!

Peter McCloy was the keeper

Can't remember if it clipped the top of the bar before flying in to the school 

1 hour ago, Maroon Sailor said:

20201207_163629.thumb.jpg.61147154618253629f2a60930bc649b2.jpg

Graham Shaw, Willie Gibson, Donald Park and possibly Roy Kay in the distance. Celtic players Tommy Burns, Pat Stanton and Kenny Dalglesh?

3 minutes ago, John Findlay said:

Graham Shaw, Willie Gibson, Donald Park and possibly Roy Kay in the distance. Celtic players Tommy Burns, Pat Stanton and Kenny Dalglesh?

Agree about the hearts players and Pat Stanton, but Burns and Dalgleish? Not so sure.

Maroon Sailor
9 minutes ago, John Findlay said:

The 4 might be Ronnie Glavin

I agree with the rest

Edited by Maroon Sailor

6 hours ago, JTJ said:

I was at the replay and the winner was in the 89th minute, although it wasn't a great game so it might have felt there was extra time. I travelled through in the back of a Mini and in those days the M8 was not at all busy - hard to believe now. Willie Gibson was great for late cup goals. I remember him scoring the only goal of the game in extra time in a midweek replay at Dumbarton. I went  on a football special from Haymarket. It poured all game, there were no lights in the carriage going home and with there being extra time we were very late getting home, but would I have missed it ...... not for the world!  

SectionDJambo
18 minutes ago, Maroon Sailor said:

Tynie in the snow

Another Monday night cup match

1416916652_download(4).jpeg.db9ca459cb32df90a7f66797a437ecf3.jpeg

I think this had been postponed a couple of times. Then it started snowing during the match. It was a wee bit hairy driving home.

Must be around 1984, with Alexanders on the shirts and Jimmy Bone playing for us. He was a great signing. 

SectionDJambo
2 hours ago, Maroon Sailor said:

Brian Wilson - possibly the worse Hearts keeper I've seen though Pereira has made me think about that now.

They used to schedule League Cup semi finals, and some Scottish Cup semi finals, at very strange and awkward times. Midweek mostly. Handy for Rangers and Celtic but not for anyone else.

Crowds were generally not great as a result.

SectionDJambo
1 hour ago, John Findlay said:

Hugh Alexander the referee. Got the Hearts v Aberdeen cup final as his retirement game, in 1986. Sent off Walter Kidd, which was very rare for a cup final back then.

2 hours ago, Maroon Sailor said:

Got back from Hamburg on sunday night    hampden monday night. Jim brown put us 1 up.  Dalglish backed into a hearts player,fell down and got  a penalty

A Shoreditch Heart

I was probably there, but do not remember this game at all. So it's versus Patrick Thistle I guess around 1983 maybe?

On 06/12/2020 at 16:58, Big Drew said:

Two George's - Fleming and Connelly.

George Connelly.......One of the great Scottish players......Various "issues" drove him out the game far too early

Maroon Sailor
18 minutes ago, A Shoreditch Heart said:

I was probably there, but do not remember this game at all. So it's versus Patrick Thistle I guess around 1983 maybe?

Feb 84

Doctor FinnBarr
2 hours ago, SectionDJambo said:

I think this had been postponed a couple of times. Then it started snowing during the match. It was a wee bit hairy driving home.

Must be around 1984, with Alexanders on the shirts and Jimmy Bone playing for us. He was a great signing. 

Tell me about it, I was on the Blackburn/Whitburn bus that night and we went sideways near Wilkinson on the A71.

Celtics number 6 is Pat McCluskey. Don't think Dalglish is in the pic at all...

Kenny Dalglish is not in that photo, John.  🤷🏿‍♂️

3 hours ago, upgotheheads said:

Agree about the hearts players and Pat Stanton, but Burns and Dalgleish? Not so sure.

I agree.

There is no Tommy Burns in that picture.

Maroon Sailor
54 minutes ago, NotTheHoople said:

Celtics number 6 is Pat McCluskey. Don't think Dalglish is in the pic at all...

31 minutes ago, Morgan said:

I agree.

There is no Tommy Burns in that picture.

20201207_163629.thumb.jpg.61147154618253629f2a60930bc649b2.jpg.97bbde208eb401e92232b596765e837e.jpg

10 - Tommy Burns

6 - Pat Stanton

4 - Ronnie Glavin

Edited by Maroon Sailor

8 hours ago, Maroon Sailor said:

The Shed at it's finest

20201207_230819.thumb.jpg.21ac8308cc7a5cc3e01caba18296cd2d.jpg

Peter Latchford, brother of Bob the Celtic goalie on his arse. Willie Gibson, Shuggy Shaw, Donald Park, Bobby Prentice, Jim Jeffries, and Jim Brown the Hearts players.

Think this might be the game where Willie Gibson scored a 1st half hat trick. We were leading 3-1 at HT, still got beat 3-4.

Maroon Sailor
4 minutes ago, John Findlay said:

Peter Latchford, brother of Bob the Celtic goalie on his arse. Willie Gibson, Shuggy Shaw, Donald Park, Bobby Prentice, Jim Jeffries, and Jim Brown the Hearts players.

Think this might be the game where Willie Gibson scored a 1st half hat trick. We were leading 3-1 at HT, still got beat 3-4.

It was so big Roddie for Celtic and could be Andy Lynch on the left

Edited by Maroon Sailor

7 hours ago, John Findlay said:

You are spot on. Looking at the crowd there appears to be a gap in the shed corner. These were the days when Celtic took over the area under the TV stand and our boys were forced into the corner. This is probably the second or third goal as whenever we scored our boys were attacked and the police had to step in and create a no go zone. It was scary stuff and if you were like me you would find a spot well away at the Gorgie Road end.   

16 hours ago, Maroon Sailor said:

20201207_163629.thumb.jpg.61147154618253629f2a60930bc649b2.jpg.97bbde208eb401e92232b596765e837e.jpg

10 - Tommy Burns

6 - Pat Stanton

4 - Ronnie Glavin

Christ!  Tommy Burns!

I would never have picked him out there.  

Maroon Sailor
20 minutes ago, Morgan said:

Christ!  Tommy Burns!

I would never have picked him out there.  

Just a young slip of a lad

Bit like yourself mon ami !