Hearts v Celtic semi - over 28,000 sold

jamdunc

It should have been ten
20 minutes ago, letsalldothebeattie said:

Semi finals are only always played at Hampden if your name is Celtic or Rangers. We’ve played plenty a semi at ER, Fir Park etc as well as Hampden. How many times have Celtic or Rangers when Hampden hasn’t been redeveloped or used for commonwealth games or that? None to my recollection. We have the chance to get a semi final in our own backyard literally round the corner from our own stadium we need to embrace that and use that as a home field advantage. Hampden is a dump always has been always will be. Yes it’s the “national stadium” I get the history of the stadium but it’s an embarrassment for a football stadium. It’s not fit for purpose 

:spoton:

• Replies 7.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• NANOJAMBO

• Lord Beni of Gorgie

• ...a bit disco

• graygo

Just checking whether or not I imagined Hearts fans bending over and welcoming the Sellik length regarding a draw to decide a venue.    Turns out I did not imagine this horrific spectacle.

My word.    Fan ownership could be a real hoot if any white flag waving surrender monkeys are involved.

29 minutes ago, goldiebackwash1985 said:

Sure it has something to do with UEFA rules

I'm not sure it is.

Other countries have done it and studies have shown it doesn't affect attendances in other games.

It seems to be a UK thing, with the FA in England determining this ruling. I can't see any legal ruling and if there is, i'd like to see it.

Simply, it looks like bullshit and something to be challenged.

AlphonseCapone
1 minute ago, Victorian said:

Just checking whether or not I imagined Hearts fans bending over and welcoming the Sellik length regarding a draw to decide a venue.    Turns out I did not imagine this horrific spectacle.

My word.    Fan ownership could be a real hoot if any white flag waving surrender monkeys are involved.

It's like folk said oh we've won a victory already, let's not rock the boat any further. 

Murrayfield for our game makes most sense on all fronts. 

35 minutes ago, goldiebackwash1985 said:

GettyImages-71047572.jpg

Why would you want to play here? Place is a dump!

Why did they use Rangers colours? Why not just Blue and White if it is the "National" stadium?  (only partly serious)

Not sure if this has already been posted but the Evening News running a story that SRU have doubts over the timeframe and gone back to Doncaster with some questions. 

1 hour ago, SuperstarSteve said:

Celtic sat back and said nothing when kids and public safety was at risk. Literally nothing. 

They all of a sudden find their voice when it comes to this? What a horrible ****ing club.

How anyone can follow either of the bigot brothers is beyond me.

If they went on to win this, infact anything won in their history genuinely counts for nothing. Govern body on their side, contracts being signed in favour of them, TV money funnelled their way.

which btw could’ve easily been spread around all clubs as they are using majority of TV money from championship teams and funnelling it to the top division. 

Hate everything Scottish football stands for but i absolutely love this club and everything we stand for. 

This. Very much this. 

Hackney Hearts
2 hours ago, Selkirkhmfc1874 said:

If shoe was on other foot we'd be asking for exactly the same

The shoe HAS been on the other foot many times over the past 100 years - have we ever asked for a draw for venues??

from players point of view I'd imagine they'd rather play at football national stadium rather than a rugby stadium 

No, generally they prefer Murrayfield. See Celtic captain Scott Brown's forceful interview further back on this thread. Or Celtic manager Brendan Rodgers' quote on the previous page of this thread.

Murrayfield may have been built as a rugby ground, but it's still more suited to hosting football than our 'national football stadium'.

luckyBatistuta
1 minute ago, AlphonseCapone said:

It's like folk said oh we've won a victory already, let's not rock the boat any further. 

You would have expected this straight from the off from a bitter element of the supporters who would have to travel to Edinburgh, as they always get to play their semi at their second home. To hear it on here from Hearts fans is incredible, just incredible. 

John Findlay
1 hour ago, amadjambo said:

Yes, but Ibrox wasnt.

Sevens rugby was played at Ibrox during the Commonwealth Games.

Hackney Hearts
15 hours ago, 132goals1958 said:

Kris Commons on sportsound now suggesting that Celtic as holders should be allocated Hampden. Unbelievable how he works that one out.

What planet is he on?? So the winners get rewarded with choice of venue...?

Does he think the Betfred Cup has morphed into the Eurovision Song Contest?

1 minute ago, AlphonseCapone said:

Of course.   Least travelling sets of supporters = least demands on the transport network and police,  etc.     

Nothing to do with any notions of fairness or equality of treatment.     

Celtic are at it.     They feel entitled to impose their rule on everything at every juncture.    They also feel compelled to represent the feeling of their support iat every juncture.     There is no rational or practical basis to their demand but the dynamic of Scottish Football dominance and perceived subservience made it inevitable.     

It has to be opposed in the strongest possible way.

Shanks said no
Just now, Hackney Hearts said:

If it was a singing competition they would be banned

Way i see it is this, we were the first team drawn out of the hat, in a balenced and fair system (yeah i know i clutching at straws ) then we should get the choice of where the venue will be played.

I sure the septic will cry till they get there way though and as usual we will be expected to roll over and take it, still i can live and hope though.

Felix Lighter
1 hour ago, Selkirkhmfc1874 said:

They don't have home advantage at hampden , hampden the national stadium where semi finals and finals always played for such games ! The problem this time is the old firm playing in Europe on Thursday evening but there's no home advantage at hampden!! Wembley in London but you don't hear teams out with London complaining about playing a London team in fa cup final because like hampden it's there national stadium and a football stadium which murrayfield isn't 

Murrayfield, like Hampden is a sports stadium with a large rectangular grass playing surface.In the past both stadia have played host to football,rugby,American football and athletics.

If true and Hampden offers no home advantage to celtic then the opposite ie Hearts at Murrayfield is also true,yes?

I have no problem going to Hampden for the semi final as long as it's at a sensible time. What I will have a problem with is if we have to go to Hampden just because Celtic don't want to come to Murrayfield when our match is the one that logic and common sense dictates should be played there.

38 minutes ago, Debut 4 said:
  45 minutes ago, ramrod said:

Are you serious? 

For the first time in their history they are being asked to play a domestic semi final outside their own city and you think it's reasonable to request a draw on the grounds of fairness, I mean really? I despair . 

Indeed!

Conclusions?

1) The SPFL has screwed up so badly that it has lost all authority. It'll be open season on any decisions from now on.

2) Celtic are rattled. Good! Let's rattle them a bit more. 

Lord Beni of Gorgie
8 minutes ago, Papa John said:

Not sure if this has already been posted but the Evening News running a story that SRU have doubts over the timeframe and gone back to Doncaster with some questions. 

Wouldn't worry too much, Banderson said the dates were in stone precisely 10 minutes before the retreat

N Lincs Jambo
6 minutes ago, Papa John said:

Don't blame the SRU tbh. Spent a fortune on their bid to become the national stadium from 2020 onwards when in reality the had the square root of zero chance of it actually happening. Now due to the total incompetence of Doncaster etc, they are being asked to help football out at very short notice. Can't blame them for not being that interested. Btw I am aware of the difference between the SFA and SPFL.

luckyBatistuta
36 minutes ago, Sir Gio said:

I really don't care where we play them, it was always the time for me and the risks involved.

However, loving the outrage. Over a 100 years of having to head to Glasgow for matches they are having a right proper Paddy over 1 single game in extraordinary circumstances. You would have thought that for 1 game they would have swallowed the pill and not allow the cloak to slip.

But they are now well and truly outed as bullies and entitled ones. Would expect Dave King to throw a similar fit if this is allowed.

Celtic Football Club, you are embarrassing yourselves and your supporters

I didn’t care either, but now I want it at Murrayfield just because of the way Celtic are coming across with all of this. You would think that with all the trophies their fans see their team win at Hampden, they’d like a trip to Murrayfield for something a bit different, but no, they still want everything their own way and in Glasgow. Always hated them, always will.

5 minutes ago, luckyBatistuta said:

You would have expected this straight from the off from a bitter element of the supporters who would have to travel to Edinburgh, as they always get to play their semi at their second home. To hear it on here from Hearts fans is incredible, just incredible. 

there were many on here begging for a good seeing too from the infirm for being allowed to go to hampden at stupid o'clock

luckyBatistuta
5 minutes ago, MadJock said:

Way i see it is this, we were the first team drawn out of the hat, in a balenced and fair system (yeah i know i clutching at straws ) then we should get the choice of where the venue will be played.

I sure the septic will cry till they get there way though and as usual we will be expected to roll over and take it, still i can live and hope though.

Nobody should get the choice. 

8 minutes ago, Hackney Hearts said:

Was thinking about this , Kilmarnock win the League Cup - following season , Celtic and Rangers get drawn against Aberdeen and Kilmarnock but Kilmarnock get Hampden and Celtic play Aberdeen at Murrayfield.

Lord Beni of Gorgie
2 minutes ago, luckyBatistuta said:

I didn’t care either, but now I want it at Murrayfield just because of the way Celtic are coming across with all of this. You would think that with all the trophies their fans see their team win at Hampden, they’d like a trip to Murrayfield for something a bit different, but no, they still want everything their own way and in Glasgow. Always hated them, always will.

But yet happy enough to leave Glasgow and use said venue when other extraordinary circumstances occurred.

We are of identical minds here, I wont be crying foul if we go to Hampden over the game, but if we do, it really should be the catalyst for change. There was an opportunity, and the irony, Aberdeen chose greed and short term greed to allow this shit to continue. To be honest, they deserve everything coming to them for snivelling up to Celtic 5 years ago

15 minutes ago, Jammy T said:

We don’t gain any competitive advantage from the game being at Murrayfield.

It is that simple.

No competitive advantage but our fans benefit. Can't have that.

1 hour ago, Selkirkhmfc1874 said:

Why would we have though when hampden is the national stadium where semi finals and finals take place and always have done ! The problem here is the powers that be have made a huge balls up 

You said we would have the same reaction as Celtic if the boot was on the other foot.

That is clearly not the case.

Celtic are just upset that they are having to travel and The Rangers are getting to play at Hampden. 

We are happy to play wherever as long as its at a sensible time for fans to travel.

So how would we have the same reaction as Celtic ?

goldiebackwash1985
44 minutes ago, Boab said:

I'm not sure it is.

Other countries have done it and studies have shown it doesn't affect attendances in other games.

It seems to be a UK thing, with the FA in England determining this ruling. I can't see any legal ruling and if there is, i'd like to see it.

Simply, it looks like bullshit and something to be challenged.

Forgive me Boab you are correct

3pm "Blackout"[edit]

In the 1960s, Burnley F.C. Chairman Bob Lord successfully convinced fellow Football League Chairmen that televised matches on a Saturday afternoon would have a negative effect on the attendances of other football league games that were not being televised and as a result reduce their financial income.

As a result, the FA, Premier League and Football League do not permit English matches to be televised live between 2:45pm and 5:15pm on a Saturday within the United Kingdom. Until recently, the FA Cup Final was an exception and had been broadcast at 3pm on a Saturday in May; however, in 2012, the FA Cup Final was moved to 5pm.

Foreign matches shown in the United Kingdom are also affected by the blackout; Sky Sports do not broadcast the first 15 minutes of Spanish La Liga matches which kick off at 5pm UK time.

In February 2011, Advocate General Kokott of the European Court of Justice opined that the "closed periods" did not encourage match attendance at other league games.

It is, in fact, doubtful whether closed periods are capable of encouraging attendance at matches and participation in matches. Both activities have a completely different quality to the following of a live transmission on television. It has not been adequately shown to the Court that the closed periods actually encourage attendance at and participation in matches. Indeed, there is evidence to refute this claim: for example, in an investigation of the closed periods under competition law the Commission found that only 10 of 22 associations had actually adopted a closed period. No closed periods were adopted in France, Germany, Italy and Spain, or in Northern Ireland, that is to say, within the sphere of influence of English football.

Advocate General Kokott of the European Court of Justice[39]

Kokott did not actually provide evidence to refute the premise that stopping the televising of games encouraged football fans to physically attend matches at their local clubs. She instead makes the simple comparative point that only a minority of football associations surveyed (itself a number that forms a minority of UEFA associations) used 'blackout' policies to bolster the attendances of their clubs; implying that the healthy attendances recorded in Germany and Spain show that closed periods are not a necessary prerequisite to full stadia.

To avoid this blackout, the last day of the Premier League, when all ten games must kick-off simultaneously, is always played on a Sunday. The final round of fixtures each of the Football Leagues are also scheduled away from 3pm on a Saturday in order to broadcast one or more game live.

Live radio broadcasts are permitted, both nationally and locally; these may be simulcast on the internet, depending on the broadcaster. Viewers outside the UK can still watch these games live on foreign broadcasters, thus creating somewhat of a grey market within the UK with viewers able to subscribe to or watch streams of foreign channels.

The Premier League and Sky maintain that, while grey market viewing of games is not illegal on the part of the viewer, it is illegal for anyone (such as a public house) to make such services openly available. This has in the past lead to heavy fines for public houses in the United Kingdom which have shown 3pm games in their establishments. More recently, the legality of such fines has been disputed, and a number of Crown Court cases have been reported in which publicans successfully challenged the Premier League's position.[40]

In recent years, Sky Sports has shown 3pm games on tape delay on their Football First show, either in full or as extended highlights.

The most important thing for me is we get kick off times that are befitting of a cup semi final, that allows the biggest crowd possible to get there. Especially when the wee league cup has enjoyed a bit of a resurgence in appeal and prestige. Get the kick off times right, both us and Aberdeen will sell our allocations. 

I can't get upset about the possibility of a draw to decide what game is staged where. In fact, it's probably the right thing to do. Celtic have made their position clear, which is there choice (however absurd). I suspect the three other clubs would all want the chance to play at Murrayfield. Who wouldn't (apart from Celtic)?

If we end up at Hampden, it'll be a sensible kick off time, and that's the key thing. 23,000 of us were there for a semi in April 2006, and all of us had a no bad day out...

Edited by blairdin

6 minutes ago, jonnothejambo said:

:lol:  brilliant analogy.

Speaking of arseholes I heard Jim White on the Talksport comedy channel suggesting that the Hun and Aberdeen play at Tannadice.  :rofl:

I shit you not. The place probably holds about 16k. :rofl:

What a clown. 

The man's lost it. 

Just content yourself with looking at Kirsty Gallacher's arse, Jim, there's a good lad !

1 hour ago, goldiebackwash1985 said:

GettyImages-71047572.jpg

Why would you want to play here? Place is a dump!

Worst stadium I've ever been to, and I mean EVER been to.

goldiebackwash1985
50 minutes ago, Spellczech said:

Why did they use Rangers colours? Why not just Blue and White if it is the "National" stadium?  (only partly serious)

Cause of this I would guess

National flags

image.jpeg.3d60c9222197759723925ae00760c873.jpeg

Should be multicoloured like a rainbow since the Unicorn is our national animal

?

A_A wehatethehibs

Only the Saturday 27th October tie Hearts vs Celtic needs to be moved

The Sunday 28th October tie between Rangers and Aberdeen can go ahead at the original time

Its clear cut

Get Hearts Celtic sorted for either Murrayfield or Easter Road or fecking Pittodrie for all I care, neutral venue on Sunday 28th October. 

Get it sorted so we can start selling the fecking tickets 

17 hours ago, Psychedelicropcircle said:

Could just have it Spain save you the inconvenience!

We could have a tendering processes for cities around the world.

Let's just sit back and enjoy the fun if Celtic get their way.

The Rangers will go apeshit and the mugs at the SPFL will be hiding under the bed sheets to avoid the flak.?

I would put money on dates suddenly becoming available to have the matches on a seperate weekends at Hampden.

The SRU might actually refuse the use of Murrayfield (who can blame them ?) and save the SPFL from an OF turf war ☺

3 hours ago, Deevers said:

Play it at Lunch time then and further inconvience Lawell. The genisis of this whole farce has been the SPFL and their bending over to help the old firm. Celtic in particular don't give a monkeys toss about anyone else bar themselves. No reason why they could not play their game on the Saturday at lunchtime. Plenty of instances in the past of teams having to take the field less than 48 hours after their last game.  I get the feeling that the original plan for these games was Lawells and no one else's, after all it only really suited their agenda and no one else.

Absolutely, remember when Hearts would play Hibs on January 1st and Dunfermline on January 2nd every year up until the 1970s!

9 minutes ago, Armageddon said:

Worst stadium I've ever been to, and I mean EVER been to.

The quote the Hearts song.."..I could name dozens more...! "

**** wi giving them glesga, were the ones doing them a favour as it is. we didn't knock them out the champs league, lets play it on the Saturday it's supposed to be on and have the extra rest day before the derby, they can get on with their own problems with scheduling, it's their owner that runs that pish anyway.

maybe if lawell had parted with some of last season champs league cash and the big transfer fees they've collected they wouldn't have got knocked out the champs league, all their own doing from where I'm sitting.

Edited by reaths17

1 minute ago, BelgeJambo said:

:raging:

Somebody make a bloody decision

THIS!

I personally couldn't give a toss where we end up playing, can we just get on with it already.

2 minutes ago, been here before said:

Its just getting very, very boring now.

You think so? It's getting very frustrating that even now they can't make a decision, but boring? No. It's one of the most interesting things to happen to Scottish football in quite a while. Cards are being laid on the table.

Hackney Hearts

If Celtic get their way and there's an unprecedented draw for the semi venues - what form would that take? Behind closed doors? Who would be present - Doncaster and Lawell? Or would there be some transparency - balls in a plastic globe, drawn by UN Secretary-General António Guterres live on TV? Balls tested for warmth by Ann Budge?

I can't book my train until they make a decision and I don't even know if I can attend until they make a decision.  Ridiculous how long it takes for these things to be confirmed (see also the post split fixtures last season).

They're actively discouraging people to attend by making bad decisions or taking far too long to confirm details.

6 minutes ago, Hackney Hearts said:

If Celtic get their way and there's an unprecedented draw for the semi venues - what form would that take? Behind closed doors? Who would be present - Doncaster and Lawell? Or would there be some transparency - balls in a plastic globe, drawn by UN Secretary-General António Guterres live on TV? Balls tested for warmth by Ann Budge?

There already was a draw with Hearts name out first.

I'm not too fussy where we play, but Murrayfield is obviously more convenient for us.

Edited by frankblack

scott herbertson

Have celtic given a reason for their request - I'd be interested to see how it was worded, and what their rationale is, given that there have never been draws for previous outside Glasgow venues?

18 minutes ago, been here before said:

Its just getting very, very boring now.

What an odd way to describe all this. 

It's many things, but it's not boring.

Edited by smiler

We_are_the_Hearts
1 minute ago, scott herbertson said:

Have celtic given a reason for their request - I'd be interested to see how it was worded, and what their rationale is, given that there have never been draws for previous outside Glasgow venues?

Cause Peter said so. pretty much like everything else

scott herbertson

oh and one reason for not having Rangers Aberdeen at Murrayfield would be the potential problems at Waverley and Haymarket of both sets of fans descending on the station post game (and arriving though to a lesser extent)