Hearts v Celtic semi - over 28,000 sold

jamdunc

8 hours ago, Hackney Hearts said:

So what does it matter if these hordes have to travel to Glasgow or Edinburgh?

We had no problem with playing at Hampden originally (Levein said he was happy to play wherever). The issue was with the time, and the game preceding it.

What's Celtic's aversion to Murrayfield? A genuine one? Any problems with impossible logistics or dangers to public safety? 

Why would Celtic have a problem playing in a stadium that they were happy to use as their home stadium for CL qualifiers a few years ago? Genuinely baffled. They chose to play in Edinburgh at Murrayfield while a perfectly good stadium was available in their own city.

So we know distance to travel for their fans can’t be their concern.

• Replies 7.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• NANOJAMBO

• Lord Beni of Gorgie

• ...a bit disco

• graygo

Harry Potter

Front page in the Evening News , Victory for common sense as semis shambles reconsidered, Hearts  V Celtic 

poised for move to murrayfield. 

Selkirkhmfc1874

A don't have a problem with having draw to decide where games played ! If shoe was on other foot we'd be asking for exactly the same , from hearts supporters point of view murrayfield ideal but from players point of view I'd imagine they'd rather play at football national stadium rather than a rugby stadium 

Edited by Selkirkhmfc1874

CavySlaveJambo
11 minutes ago, Deevers said:

With Celtic now being awkward about the venue, perhaps the SPFL should resort to playing both games at Hampden, but now insist the our game go ahead at 3pm on the Saturday. Getting fed up of that lot trying to dictate terms to all and sundry.

If BT Sport are going to televise it, it cannot be on a saturday at 3pm. 

1 minute ago, CavySlaveJambo said:

Out of interest, why do tv channels point blank refuse to televise games at 3pm on Saturday

Shanks said no
4 minutes ago, Section Q said:

Ugly sisters having a family fued about playing in Edinburgh.

https://www.rangersnews.uk/news/celtics-complaining-about-betfred-cup-scheduling-is-needless/

Can someone clear up one part for me as I was out of the country and missed the draw.

this article and various other Rangers sources state the second drawn semi-finalistsWere we the first tie drawn or not?

13 minutes ago, CavySlaveJambo said:

Play it at Lunch time then and further inconvience Lawell. The genisis of this whole farce has been the SPFL and their bending over to help the old firm. Celtic in particular don't give a monkeys toss about anyone else bar themselves. No reason why they could not play their game on the Saturday at lunchtime. Plenty of instances in the past of teams having to take the field less than 48 hours after their last game.  I get the feeling that the original plan for these games was Lawells and no one else's, after all it only really suited their agenda and no one else.

22 minutes ago, Poseidon said:

Good to see I wasn't the only one calling out DH's nonsense

Thing is.....I’m not talking nonsense.

So many in here are saying Celtic will just need to suck it up if the SPFL decide our tie should be played at Murrayfield.

My guessing is there will be complete outrage from the same people if they decide to stick the other tie through here and keep us at Hampden. Just because it’s in Edinburgh doesn’t automatically mean it should be us playing here. As I’ve said previously.....Aberdeen may well fancy Edinburgh to Glasgow.

Edited by DH1986

Reading all these posts and letting the dust settle a tad, the question for me that needs to be addressed by the SPFL is: must both semis be played on Sun 28 Oct, given that Sat 27 Oct is not an option due to the OF playing on Thu 25 Oct.

If NO, then move the Hearts v Celtic semi to the following weekend and rearrange league games to later in the season. The final is not until the beginning of December so delaying this semi for a week would have no significant impact.

If YES, then move the Hearts v Celtic game to Murrayfield.  Police will not allow 2 OF games in the city at the same time ruling out the use of Ibrox or Parkhead as the alternative venue.  An option would be to have Aberdeen v Rangers play on the Saturday evening as Rangers have a home Europa League game on the Thursday.

Whatever the decision the OF will cry foul, as that is what they do.

My gut feeling is that the SPFL will juggle fixtures to keep both semis in Glasgow. The last thing they want is a showpiece game in Edinburgh to be a success.

1 hour ago, Tenor said:

Home advantage, they say? The players are used to playing at Murrayfield, they say?

Here's the list of current Hearts players (available for the semi) who have played at Murrayfield:

Souttar

Smith

Hughes (unlikely to play)

Djoum

Cochrane (unlikely to play)

NOW, here's the Celtic players who have played at Murrayfield:

Lustig

Grffiths

Izaguirre

Bitton

McGregor

Forrest

So... who REALLY has the advantage?!

:conspiracy:

Celtic also played at Hampden 4 times last season!

5 minutes ago, The Frenchman Returns said:

Can someone clear up one part for me as I was out of the country and missed the draw.

this article and various other Rangers sources state the second drawn semi-finalistsWere we the first tie drawn or not?

Yes, Hearts first out the bag. 

Joey J J Jr Shabadoo
5 minutes ago, Deevers said:

Play it at Lunch time then and further inconvience Lawell. The genisis of this whole farce has been the SPFL and their bending over to help the old firm. Celtic in particular don't give a monkeys toss about anyone else bar themselves. No reason why they could not play their game on the Saturday at lunchtime. Plenty of instances in the past of teams having to take the field less than 48 hours after their last game.  I get the feeling that the original plan for these games was Lawells and no one else's, after all it only really suited their agenda and no one else.

It's a squad game, now. Celtic should suck it up. Or stop loaning all their players out. 

Jambof3tornado

No problem with hampden or murrayfield. My problem was the 2 games on the same day at the same stadium with kickoff times that suited rangers and Celtic.

How could doncaster not see this coming???

SuperstarSteve

Celtic sat back and said nothing when kids and public safety was at risk. Literally nothing. 

They all of a sudden find their voice when it comes to this? What a horrible ****ing club.

How anyone can follow either of the bigot brothers is beyond me.

If they went on to win this, infact anything won in their history genuinely counts for nothing. Govern body on their side, contracts being signed in favour of them, TV money funnelled their way.

which btw could’ve easily been spread around all clubs as they are using majority of TV money from championship teams and funnelling it to the top division. 

Hate everything Scottish football stands for but i absolutely love this club and everything we stand for. 

Jamboscanbevicius

I love that Celtic are complaining. It shows that for the first time in a long time they are scared of us!

Murrayfield would not normally be an issue for them, but they know we played ‘home’ games there a year ago and they don’t want us having any fine margin of advantage, because they have no confidence in their ability to win.

Pleasing... very pleasing!

9 hours ago, Ski Nae said:

This makes perfect sense. 

[However, I'm not sure if that's important!] 

Has anybody asked them to Cede the game to Hearts?

45 minutes ago, Selkirkhmfc1874 said:

A don't have a problem with having draw to decide where games played ! If shoe was on other foot we'd be asking for exactly the same , from hearts supporters point of view murrayfield ideal but from players point of view I'd imagine they'd rather play at football national stadium rather than a rugby stadium 

We have had to play at Hampden loads of times in Semi Finals. I can't ever remember us demanding a draw for venues just because we didn't want to travel.

I'm not bothered about playing them at Hampden at a sensible time of day.

The only way I can see the game being at Hampden now is on the Saturday 27/10 or the weekend of 03/11 and 04/11.

However the SPFL have boxed themselves into a corner regarding the latter by ruling it out due to fixture congestion.

So Saturday 27/10 it is then at least then they will get to keep their traditional venue advantage.

20 minutes ago, SuperstarSteve said:

Celtic sat back and said nothing when kids and public safety was at risk. Literally nothing. 

They all of a sudden find their voice when it comes to this? What a horrible ****ing club.

No matter how spot on this point is, it will go largely ignored by pundits and journalists.

Selkirkhmfc1874
10 minutes ago, luckydug said:

We have had to play at Hampden loads of times in Semi Finals. I can't ever remember us demanding a draw for venues just because we didn't want to travel.

I'm not bothered about playing them at Hampden at a sensible time of day.

The only way I can see the game being at Hampden now is on the Saturday 27/10 or the weekend of 03/11 and 04/11.

However the SPFL have boxed themselves into a corner regarding the latter by ruling it out due to fixture congestion.

So Saturday 27/10 it is then at least then they will get to keep their traditional venue advantage.

Why would we have though when hampden is the national stadium where semi finals and finals take place and always have done ! The problem here is the powers that be have made a huge balls up 

Cannot fault Celtic for asking for a ballot about which match should switch to Murrayfield. It is entirely reasonable IMO. Of course there is an element of Hampden suits Celtic better than Murrayfield but only to the same extent that Murrayfield suits Hearts better than Hampden.  

I'd have thought Aberdeen would favour a ballot too, as Hampden suits Rangers more than Murrayfield. Their position is entirely neutral though so they cannot voice this view without looking petty.

I mean FFS Hampden has ends that are unofficially called the "Rangers" and "Celtic" ends!!!

Selkirkhmfc1874
1 minute ago, NaturalOrder74 said:

Wherever it is as long as we get a decent kick off I’ll be happy

This , kick off time gotta suit families because the original 7.45pm on a Sunday evening was absolutely bonkers 

Tommy Walker
1 hour ago, amadjambo said:

Why would Celtic have a problem playing in a stadium that they were happy to use as their home stadium for CL qualifiers a few years ago? Genuinely baffled. They chose to play in Edinburgh at Murrayfield while a perfectly good stadium was available in their own city

Me too.

Bigger capacity ?

Onup

TW

1 hour ago, amadjambo said:

Why would Celtic have a problem playing in a stadium that they were happy to use as their home stadium for CL qualifiers a few years ago? Genuinely baffled. They chose to play in Edinburgh at Murrayfield while a perfectly good stadium was available in their own city.

So we know distance to travel for their fans can’t be their concern.

Was Hampden not being used for the Commonwealth Games as well?

18Jambo_dave74

It should be Hearts v Celtic at Murrayfield. 

Yes, of course that suits us better and we'll take much more fans to the game than we would if it was Hampden but so what. Playing our game at Murrayfield would mean that only two sets of fans would have to travel whereas playing our match at Hampden would see three sets of travelling fans - seems a fairly logical choice to me. 

Shall we do a draw for every semi final from now on in case one set of fans don't want to travel to a particular venue? I don't think so. I'm sure it wouldn't hurt Celtic for once In their lives to have to play a semi final in Edinburgh - they get the 'home' advantage of Hampden every other year. 

As others have pointed out, the idea that we have an advantage at Murrayfield is a nonsense:

Hearts players to have played at Murrayfield (9) - Souttar, Hughes, Berra, Baur, Brandon, Smith, Djoum, Cochrane, MacLean. 

Celtic players to have played at Murrayfield (8) - Gordon, Lustig, Izaguirre, Biton, Christie, Forrest, McGregor, Griffiths.

Looking at the above list of players, given injuries, it is likely that more of the Celtic players will be involved than the Hearts ones listed. 

Rodgers came out last week and said that playing the second match on the Hampden pitch would give us an advantage (obviously down to our hoofball tactics!) so I'm sure he'd be delighted to play on the great pitch at Murrayfield. Indeed his captain only just recently came out and said how much he doesn't like playing at Hampden so I'm sure he too would welcome the game at Murrayfield. 

What this all comes down to is the fact that up until now Celtic haven't been able to cry 'poor me' and they are now taking that opportunity. They were very quiet when Aberdeen and ourselves were rightfully up in arms about the decision. If they really want to play at Hampden then fine - they can do so on Saturday 27th. 

Selkirkhmfc1874
3 minutes ago, 18Jambo_dave74 said:

Yes, of course that suits us better and we'll take much more fans to the game than we would if it was Hampden but so what. Playing our game at Murrayfield would mean that only two sets of fans would have to travel whereas playing our match at Hampden would see three sets of travelling fans - seems a fairly logical choice to me. 

Shall we do a draw for every semi final from now on in case one set of fans don't want to travel to a particular venue? I don't think so. I'm sure it wouldn't hurt Celtic for once In their lives to have to play a semi final in Edinburgh - they get the 'home' advantage of Hampden every other year. 

As others have pointed out, the idea that we have an advantage at Murrayfield is a nonsense:

Hearts players to have played at Murrayfield (9) - Souttar, Hughes, Berra, Baur, Brandon, Smith, Djoum, Cochrane, MacLean. 

Celtic players to have played at Murrayfield (8) - Gordon, Lustig, Izaguirre, Biton, Christie, Forrest, McGregor, Griffiths.

Looking at the above list of players, given injuries, it is likely that more of the Celtic players will be involved than the Hearts ones listed. 

Rodgers came out last week and said that playing the second match on the Hampden pitch would give us an advantage (obviously down to our hoofball tactics!) so I'm sure he'd be delighted to play on the great pitch at Murrayfield. Indeed his captain only just recently came out and said how much he doesn't like playing at Hampden so I'm sure he too would welcome the game at Murrayfield. 

What this all comes down to is the fact that up until now Celtic haven't been able to cry 'poor me' and they are now taking that opportunity. They were very quiet when Aberdeen and ourselves were rightfully up in arms about the decision. If they really want to play at Hampden then fine - they can do so on Saturday 27th. 

They don't have home advantage at hampden , hampden the national stadium where semi finals and finals always played for such games ! The problem this time is the old firm playing in Europe on Thursday evening but there's no home advantage at hampden!! Wembley in London but you don't hear teams out with London complaining about playing a London team in fa cup final because like hampden it's there national stadium and a football stadium which murrayfield isn't 

Tokyo Drifter

Looking at it objectively, and given that Hampden is the national stadium which means any "home" advantage Celtic might have should be disregarded, it makes more sense to play the Rangers v Aberdeen game at Murrayfield as it's marginally easier for the Sheep to get to and (I hate to admit it) because we have made Murrayfield our home ground very recently. A toss of the coin seems fair, though I'm confident it'll end up with the same result.

1 minute ago, Selkirkhmfc1874 said:

They don't have home advantage at hampden , hampden the national stadium where semi finals and finals always played for such games ! The problem this time is the old firm playing in Europe on Thursday evening but there's no home advantage at hampden!! Wembley in London but you don't hear teams out with London complaining about playing a London team in fa cup final because like hampden it's there national stadium and a football stadium which murrayfield isn't 

Semi finals are not always played at Hampden. Only semi-finals involving the OF are always played at Hampden - which often makes sense (in terms of getting better attendances). But that is to their advantage and they never complain.

For this rare occasion, the boot might be on the other foot and they don't like it. Good. More of this kind of thing.

Surely, the decision should be based on the usual consideration, which is 'with which combination of venues will we get the highest attendance?'. That obviously means Celtic play at Murrayfield and Rangers at Hampden on this occasion. For the same reason, when we have played semis at a neutral venue outside Glasgow, that would almost always be Easter Road. And Hibs ties go to Tynecastle. 

From Aberdeen, there is little difference between going to Edinburgh and Glasgow in travel time.

1 hour ago, davie1980 said:

Out of interest, why do tv channels point blank refuse to televise games at 3pm on Saturday

They're not allowed because it would impact on attendances at other games.

If we play Hampden, we should get the Celtic end and they should get the Rangers end. Just for a wee change. 50/50 split and all.

Or does that STILL not suit Celtic? Has to be a 'home' game for them?

Murrayfield for our game is by far the most sensible and logistical solution. 2 sets of travelling fans instead of 3.

Cannot believe this nonsense is still dragging on.

22 minutes ago, 18Jambo_dave74 said:

This sums it up. Agree 100%

Celtic were happy with the original plan.

A 7.45pm kick off on the Sunday gave them maximum time to recover from their European game.

They also knew that the crowd would probably be at least 70/30 in their favour given the timing of the fixture.

The state of the pitch was their only concern but that was mentioned to give them a ready made excuse if we beat them again.

Now they are faced with a lunchtime kick-off - so less time to prepare - in Edinburgh so the crowd will be more evenly split.

It's hardly surprising they aren't happy.

I think if the SPFL had kept the Aberdeen v Rangers tie as the early kick off - eg 1.30pm at Hampden - and made our game 4pm at Murrayfield, Celtic wouldn't really have a leg to stand on but for some reason they have swapped the order of the games as well as the venues.

1 hour ago, Selkirkhmfc1874 said:

Are you serious? 

For the first time in their history they are being asked to play a domestic semi final outside their own city and you think it's reasonable to request a draw on the grounds of fairness, I mean really? I despair . 

They have the chance to do the right thing now celtic are wanting a draw to determine who plays where deary me embarrassing stuff really embarrassing. 

38 minutes ago, Selkirkhmfc1874 said:

Why would we have though when hampden is the national stadium where semi finals and finals take place and always have done ! The problem here is the powers that be have made a huge balls up 

Not true. Semi finals have been played in many grounds. Playing semis at Hampden is part of a contract between SPFL and the SFA in order to benefit Glasgow teams and their fans.

Psychedelicropcircle

Haven’t heard a peep out of the vic-tims all through this, the minute it’s a possibility of it being played in Edinburgh but but but....

goldiebackwash1985
1 hour ago, davie1980 said:

Sure it has something to do with UEFA rules

4 minutes ago, ramrod said:

Are you serious? 

For the first time in their history they are being asked to play a domestic semi final outside their own city and you think it's reasonable to request a draw on the grounds of fairness, I mean really? I despair . 

It’s a joke isn’t it but this is the situation the muppets at the SPFL have created. 

Like many posters have said, the venues for semis are decided by the authorities, year in year out.  

The farce we have witnessed still really shouldn’t change that despite noses being put out of joint.

Again, and as has been said already, Celtic never said a word when the original dates and times we’re announced. Now they are greetin.  

Lord Beni of Gorgie

I really don't care where we play them, it was always the time for me and the risks involved.

However, loving the outrage. Over a 100 years of having to head to Glasgow for matches they are having a right proper Paddy over 1 single game in extraordinary circumstances. You would have thought that for 1 game they would have swallowed the pill and not allow the cloak to slip.

But they are now well and truly outed as bullies and entitled ones. Would expect Dave King to throw a similar fit if this is allowed.

Celtic Football Club, you are embarrassing yourselves and your supporters

Edited by Sir Gio

letsalldothebeattie
27 minutes ago, Selkirkhmfc1874 said:

Semi finals are only always played at Hampden if your name is Celtic or Rangers. We’ve played plenty a semi at ER, Fir Park etc as well as Hampden. How many times have Celtic or Rangers when Hampden hasn’t been redeveloped or used for commonwealth games or that? None to my recollection. We have the chance to get a semi final in our own backyard literally round the corner from our own stadium we need to embrace that and use that as a home field advantage. Hampden is a dump always has been always will be. Yes it’s the “national stadium” I get the history of the stadium but it’s an embarrassment for a football stadium. It’s not fit for purpose