Hearts v Celtic semi - over 28,000 sold

jamdunc

1 minute ago, Selkirkhmfc1874 said:

Has murrayfield ever hosted a football semi final ? The answer is no for a reason 

And that is ?

• Replies 7.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• NANOJAMBO

• Lord Beni of Gorgie

• ...a bit disco

• graygo

Selkirkhmfc1874
1 minute ago, davieholt said:

Apart from when both Hearts and Celtic played home games there!

Bottom line is hampden is our national football stadium and murrayfield is our national rugby stadium 

Has murrayfield ever hosted a football semi final ? The answer is no for a reason 

It has hosted football matches several times, including Champions League fixtures, so it is clearly not 'exclusively a rugby stadium'.

2 minutes ago, Selkirkhmfc1874 said:

Bottom line is hampden is our national football stadium and murrayfield is our national rugby stadium 

Bottom line is that Hampden is a shitehole.

Dalstonjambo
1 hour ago, Jambo-Fox said:

Ann Budge Statement 15th April 2015

At 10.43am today, the club received notice from the SPFL that our last home game of the season v Rangers is to be moved to Sunday 3rd May at 12.30pm.  This was the first notification of any change that we received.   

This has been done following selection of the game for a live TV broadcast.  While we all knew that this was likely to be a strong candidate for televising and that the time might well change, we did not for one minute think that at this late stage, it would be moved to the Sunday….especially given our belief that all Championship games would require to be played at the same time. 

Previously in the season we delayed the sale of tickets for the first Rangers game as long as we could as we realised that this fixture was highly attractive to broadcasters and likely for selection.   In relation to this game, we attempted to do the same but in this case, it would seem to no avail. 

On learning of the change, I immediately attempted to contact the SPFL and objected in strong terms to the proposed late change to this fixture on the grounds of it having a total disregard for the interests of supporters of both clubs and an apparent disregard for sporting integrity.  I also spoke directly to Police Scotland who share our frustration and informed me that they had written with some strong reasons for objecting to the changed fixture, including duplication of work for them, re-allocation of resources, etc. but once again, to no avail.

Being given 17 days’ notice of this change is extremely disruptive and potentially very expensive for the fans, the sponsors and indeed the club.  Overseas supporters have been in touch to advise that they will lose substantial amounts on travel; others have advised of lost earnings, holiday problems, etc.   .......

NB the outcome was that the game was restored to original date and time!

Yes. But let’s not forget it was also because the other 8 clubs also complained about the different time due to sporting integrity because of the playoff outcome. They initially proposed moving the hibs game too, but this had other knock on effects. 

So it wasn’t just about fans. In fact it probably wasn’t at all.  But it’s not relevant to this so let’s not derail the thread. 

Edited by Dalstonjambo

Selkirkhmfc1874
1 minute ago, Ray Gin said:

It has hosted football matches several times, including Champions League fixtures, so it is clearly not 'exclusively a rugby stadium'.

Yes that's true but it's never hosted a cup semi final and only reason it's being touted now is because a shambles within football suites but the fact remains murrayfield is a rugby stadium 

durhamhearts
7 minutes ago, davieholt said:

Apart from when both Hearts and Celtic played home games there!

Barcelona coped quite well at Murrayfield too

Selkirkhmfc1874

Murrayfield ideal for the hearts support but I'd wager the hearts players who've never played at the national stadium before would want the game at hampden 

Yes that's true but it's never hosted a cup semi final and only reason it's being touted now is because a shambles within football suites but the fact remains murrayfield is a rugby stadium 

I am not following your point here. Yes, Murrayfield is principally used for Rugby but I don’t see why that makes it less suitable for football be it League, European or Cup matches?

50 minutes ago, The Treasurer said:

Some half-wit hobo in my office has actually said this should be the case "to stop yoos yams frae cheetin"

No I can't figure that one out either

A hobo working in an office?

Are you sure?

Murrayfield ideal for the hearts support but I'd wager the hearts players who've never played at the national stadium before would want the game at hampden 

Not if their own kids cant go because of a stupid time.

Perhaps for the Scottish players, don’t see why anyone raised outside of Scotland would care less...

wentworth jambo
5 minutes ago, Selkirkhmfc1874 said:

8 minutes ago, Ray Gin said:

By that logic, if Hampden and Ibrox were out of action you'd argue to play the semi at Parkhead as it's the only "football" stadium big enough....as someone said earlier, they're not football or rugby stadiums, they're rectangular patches of grass with spectating facilities around them. Everyone can see the logical solution is Murrayfield - solves all the problems and reduces travelling to a minumum - regardless of where they play the semis, a minimum of 2 set of fans will have to travel.

Selkirkhmfc1874
1 minute ago, jambopilms said:

Not if their own kids cant go because of a stupid time.

Totally agree with you about stupid time, being single dad myself that time on a Sunday evening ruled me out on a school night! Hopefully now talks are going on for better solution we'll come up with something better 

Governor Tarkin
5 minutes ago, Selkirkhmfc1874 said:

Nah mate, it hasn't hosted a Scottish football semi-final before now for purely political, economic, and logistical reasons.

To suggest Murrayfield is exclusively a rugby stadium in light of it's recent track record of successfully hosting football matches is just a bit stupid.

Selkirkhmfc1874
1 minute ago, wentworth jambo said:

By that logic, if Hampden and Ibrox were out of action you'd argue to play the semi at Parkhead as it's the only "football" stadium big enough....as someone said earlier, they're not football or rugby stadiums, they're rectangular patches of grass with spectating facilities around them. Everyone can see the logical solution is Murrayfield - solves all the problems and reduces travelling to a minumum - regardless of where they play the semis, a minimum of 2 set of fans will have to travel.

As I've said already if murrayfield the option for one of the semi finals then so be it but as I also said I'd have no problem with having draw to see which match played there 

A wee thought about the trains.

Could we have Hearts supporters travelling to Glasgow at the same time as Rangers fans if the ties were Aberdeen v Rangers first at Murrayfield?

This could cause major issues with traffic all travelling the one direction too.

Would Aberdeen travelling home cause as much issues, I don’t know if they go from the same station or use the same trains as Celtic fans coming to Edinburgh?

I think it would be a better idea to have a calculated strategy for the ties rather than pot luck.

Selkirkhmfc1874
1 minute ago, Governor Tarkin said:

Nah mate, it hasn't hosted a Scottish football semi-final before now for purely political, economic, and logistical reasons.

To suggest Murrayfield is exclusively a rugby stadium in light of it's recent track record of successfully hosting football matches is just a bit stupid.

Exclusively probably wrong word to use but the fact is it only hosted football games when there was a need to help ourselves and Celtic out

29 minutes ago, Selkirkhmfc1874 said:

Cardiff also hosts there international football matches , murrayfield is exclusively and always has been a rugby stadium 

Cardiff city stadium hosts most of the football internationals does it not?

i wish jj was my dad
15 minutes ago, Selkirkhmfc1874 said:

:Funny-Post::qqb006:

Maybe because the GFA have had secret contracts in place to ensure that it couldn't

Selkirkhmfc1874
1 minute ago, Taffin said:

Cardiff city stadium hosts most of the football internationals does it not?

Holds some yes 

wentworth jambo

As I've said already if murrayfield the option for one of the semi finals then so be it but as I also said I'd have no problem with having draw to see which match played there 

And then potentially have 2 sets of fans travelling instead of 2 ? The SPFL can't afford to go to a ballot given the Horlicks they've made of it so far - it has to be our game at Murrayfield and Aberdeen at Hampden - what they need to be quite careful is the timings of the games as they need travel times / kick offs / return times etc so they still don't have a fans hitting the same transport points at the same time.

Bridge of Djoum
19 minutes ago, Selkirkhmfc1874 said:

Because it's a rugby stadium 

It's a multi use arena. Stop being so obtuse and listen to others. 

24 minutes ago, Selkirkhmfc1874 said:

The reason is because we've never had this carry on before (from what I can remember) and Hampden being our established national football stadium gets first shout.

Its not because Murrayfield hasn't been open to hosting football. Hearts played a trial match back in the 50s( maybe earlier) at Murrayfield to see if they liked it and would ground share with rugby if they did.

Edited by Debut 4

Selkirkhmfc1874
1 minute ago, wentworth jambo said:

And then potentially have 2 sets of fans travelling instead of 2 ? The SPFL can't afford to go to a ballot given the Horlicks they've made of it so far - it has to be our game at Murrayfield and Aberdeen at Hampden - what they need to be quite careful is the timings of the games as they need travel times / kick offs / return times etc so they still don't have a fans hitting the same transport points at the same time.

You've got very valid and fair point ! All I'm saying is if the decision is we play at hampden and the sheep play sevo at murrayfield without any draw for venues we'll all be on here saying that's unfair why no draw to decide 

Selkirkhmfc1874
1 minute ago, Bridge of Djoum said:

How many times has murrayfield hosted a football semi final ? 

Selkirkhmfc1874
1 minute ago, Debut 4 said:

The reason is because we've never had this carry on before (from what I can remember) and Hampden being our established national football stadium gets first shout.

Its not because Murrayfield hasn't been open to hosting football. Hearts played a trial match back in the 50s( maybe earlier) at Murrayfield to see if they liked it and would ground share with rugby. 

Spot on ! The reason it's even being spoke about this time is because they've made an absolute ****** up here 

2 minutes ago, Bridge of Djoum said:

Exactly - its like saying neither venue could host a rock concert because they are a rugby/football stadium.  Pedantic and tedious argument.

Alex Kintner

Folk backing Celtic on demanding a ballot :facepalm:

The decision will be made based on what makes the most sense logistically hopefully and it seems clear that is to have our match at Murrayfield.

Governor Tarkin
8 minutes ago, Selkirkhmfc1874 said:

Exclusively probably wrong word to use but the fact is it only hosted football games when there was a need to help ourselves and Celtic out

So it's also a football stadium then.

Cool.

Bridge of Djoum

None as far as I know.

You stated it was exclusively a rugby stadium, It quite clearly isn't, whether it has hosted a semi or not. It is more than adequate for this purpose.

Just now, Selkirkhmfc1874 said:

Spot on ! The reason it's even being spoke about this time is because they've made an absolute ****** up here 

Aye but I'm attempting to pull you up on yer staunch defence of Murrayfield and rugby! :lol: 

Selkirkhmfc1874

Whatever decision made a want to play them on original date but at a more reasonable time ! Certainly don't want to give up the small advantage we've got of them coming back from European game 

Give it up mate, you haven't got a valid argument.  To answer your question, the reason is that the SFA would always look at giving games to Ibrox or Parkhead when Hampden wasn't available.

That isn't an option here, or have you missed the point of this 70 page thread?

9 hours ago, John Findlay said:

Rangers paid to have the West terrace covered. £20,000 back in the day. Celtic never for the East terrace.

Really?

Never knew that,John.

Cheers

Selkirkhmfc1874
1 minute ago, Governor Tarkin said:

So it's also a football stadium then.

Cool.

No it's not a football stadium, it's hosted a few football games in it's time but murrayfield is the national rugby stadium 

You've got very valid and fair point ! All I'm saying is if the decision is we play at hampden and the sheep play sevo at murrayfield without any draw for venues we'll all be on here saying that's unfair why no draw to decide 

Dont think anyone would say it was unfair (provided kick off times are sensible). By changing the kick off times the SPFL removes the unfairness. This is now a question of logistics and 2 sets of supporters travelling a distance to a neutral venue is surely better than 3 sets of supporters (which could happen via a draw).

Selkirkhmfc1874
1 minute ago, frankblack said:

Give it up mate, you haven't got a valid argument.  To answer your question, the reason is that the SFA would always look at giving games to Ibrox or Parkhead when Hampden wasn't available.

That isn't an option here, or have you missed the point of this 70 page thread?

And why is that ? In my opinion it's to keep the money within football 

20 minutes ago, Selkirkhmfc1874 said:

Yes, but they'll get to Hampden for the final so it's all ok.?

Selkirkhmfc1874
Just now, JamboGraham said:

Dont think anyone would say it was unfair (provided kick off times are sensible). By changing the kick off times the SPFL removes the unfairness. This is now a question of logistics and 2 sets of supporters travelling a distance to a neutral venue is surely better than 3 sets of supporters (which could happen via a draw).

Well you watch how many say unfair if that's indeed what happens 

22 minutes ago, Selkirkhmfc1874 said:

They can wait until the following round

Edited by Ribble

Fxxx the SPFL
23 minutes ago, Selkirkhmfc1874 said:

They will get one in the final buddy

Well you watch how many say unfair if that's indeed what happens 

Stupid yes...unfair no...

Selkirkhmfc1874
Just now, Barack said:

Where you against the SRU taking cash off of us, when we were rebuilding the stand?

No off course not , that's only time football has been held at murrayfield when our stand was being built and also Celtics ground was being rebuilt