Hearts v Celtic semi - over 28,000 sold

jamdunc

8 minutes ago, been here before said:

Aye.

Fair enough. But in that case you're not seeing the larger picture, if you don't mind me saying.

• Replies 7.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• NANOJAMBO

• Lord Beni of Gorgie

• ...a bit disco

• graygo

Poor Celtic, it's always unfair for them. 

I think it's only fair we forfeit the game.. 

Anyone but Celtic.. could write a book about it...

16 minutes ago, redjambo said:

You think so? It's getting very frustrating that even now they can't make a decision, but boring? No. It's one of the most interesting things to happen to Scottish football in quite a while. Cards are being laid on the table.

Agreed, it's huge. Here we have Celtic admitting, for the first time surely, that they view playing semi final/finals at Hampden as a significant advantage. Forget "neutral" ground it is home city advantage that they see as being very important to their success

Big Slim Stylee
2 minutes ago, smiler said:

What an odd way to describe all this. 

It's many things, but it's not boring.

I get it though.Think he means that something quite simple is dragging on and on. Just make a decision. Not as if we’re trying to de-nuclearise North Korea here. 

Hackney Hearts
1 minute ago, frankblack said:

There already was a draw with Hearts name out first.

I know. (although I'm not certain what implications this has according to the competition rules)

The venues have always been chosen based on logistics and practicality (contractual obligations allowing), it's just that this time they clearly ****ed up with the original plan.

So I don't imagine they can allow a 'venue draw', but say hypothetically they did, surely they wouldn't think they could get away holding it in secret? Not after this huge furore and it being such a high profile issue?

9 minutes ago, Stanley_ said:

I can't book my train until they make a decision and I don't even know if I can attend until they make a decision.  Ridiculous how long it takes for these things to be confirmed (see also the post split fixtures last season).

They're actively discouraging people to attend by making bad decisions or taking far too long to confirm details.

I know, and it's all because of the original, ridiculous, decision. I have a little latitude in my impatience since the original plan was overturned last night, in that I expect and understand why the SRU have reportedly asked for assurances - unspecified, but not unreasonable given recent history. However, I'd be like to believe this will all be settled by teatime tonight, and we'll know whether we're at Murrayfield on the Sunday or Hampden the following weekend.

julienbrellier

just decide FFS. there isn´t much time to sell tickets now. It isn´t difficult, just pick a game at hampden a game at murrayfield. I prefer murrayfield for our game but as others have said the important thing is the kick off time. the longer it goes on without a decision, the more criticism they are going to get by not giving fans and clubs long enough to prepare everything.

5 minutes ago, RobboM said:

Agreed, it's huge. Here we have Celtic admitting, for the first time surely, that they view playing semi final/finals at Hampden as a significant advantage. Forget "neutral" ground it is home city advantage that they see as being very important to their success

Good point. ?

1 hour ago, Spellczech said:

Why did they use Rangers colours? Why not just Blue and White if it is the "National" stadium?  (only partly serious)

Aye plus that green grass for the other mob.:smile:

Howdy Doody Jambo

Lots more popcorn required for this farce. There's bound to be more nonsense, Chris Commons said Celtic should be allowed to play at Hampden because they are defending the trophy 

Edited by Old Castle Rock

The Future's Maroon
59 minutes ago, A_A wehatethehibs said:

Only the Saturday 27th October tie Hearts vs Celtic needs to be moved

The Sunday 28th October tie between Rangers and Aberdeen can go ahead at the original time

Its clear cut

It’s not clear cut though.

They cant leave the Sevco/sheep game at the original time, Dons fans can’t get to Hampdump until after the game has started. Granted they only need to change the time of that game to half one or two.

Stewie Griffin

Not read the whole thread so apologies if it’s already been posted ,

The way I see it the reason there is this whole mess in the first place is the SPFL rightly trying to help two Scottish teams out in Europe, now you would think those two teams would be happy with whatever stadium they are asked to play in on the Sunday rather than having to play the Thursday night in Europe and then a semi final the following Saturday  . If Celtic are not happy about having to play at Murrayfield on the Sunday then the SPFL should turn around and say to them fine you can have your game at Hampden but it’s a 12:30 Ko on the Saturday, 

Edited by Stewie Griffin

been here before
18 minutes ago, redjambo said:

Fair enough. But in that case you're not seeing the larger picture, if you don't mind me saying.

I am more than capable of seeing the bigger picture along with the subtle and the not so subtle nuances thanks, but I still find waiting for what should be a simple straigtforward decision very boring.

If I do need help on seeing the bigger picture though, if something puzzles me or I just dint understand then I'll be sure and give you a shout.

If you dont mind me saying.

Edited by been here before

3 hours ago, DH1986 said:

Thing is.....I’m not talking nonsense.

So many in here are saying Celtic will just need to suck it up if the SPFL decide our tie should be played at Murrayfield.

My guessing is there will be complete outrage from the same people if they decide to stick the other tie through here and keep us at Hampden. Just because it’s in Edinburgh doesn’t automatically mean it should be us playing here. As I’ve said previously.....Aberdeen may well fancy Edinburgh to Glasgow.

"Celtic will want to play at Murrayfield about as much as we wanted to play at Hampden so of course they’re going to chance their arm."

We were happy to play at Hampden at a decent date and time. Completely different to what Celtic have said;

"“In the interests of fairness this should be decided by some sort of draw. We understand that circumstances dictate the SPFL are acting without precedent where the semi final fixtures are concerned but it should not follow that our fans are inconvenienced and forced to travel to Edinburgh."

Celtic will actually get more tickets for Murrayfield than Hampden because of the capacity difference.

Probably still to figure that one out yet.:cornette:

Hackney Hearts
4 minutes ago, Old Castle Rock said:

Chris Commons said Celtic should be allowed to play at Hampden because they are defending the trophy 

The Commons Sense approach.

Seriously, when has that ever been a thing in football?

1 hour ago, goldiebackwash1985 said:

Cause of this I would guess

National flags

image.jpeg.3d60c9222197759723925ae00760c873.jpeg

Should be multicoloured like a rainbow since the Unicorn is our national animal

?

Lion Rampant is not national flag of Scotland it is the Royal flag of Scotland... Oops have I just begun a flags debate! Banned!

Edited by Spellczech

I think that there appears to be a growing assumption that the match will be moved to Murrayfield. Can I remind you of the recent SFA Hampden /Murrayfield, fiasco/smokescreen.!!

The SPFL are currently re-assessing,which means they could still maintain their current decision to play both,same day at Hampden.

It amazes me that Police Scotland, the so called "experts" in the field saw no problem with the original decision, but now want to re-assess due to public reaction- really? surely they are best placed to decide and not be influenced by public outrage? They also failed to consult the Police Federation whose representative described the decision as " idiotic".

This fiasco has shown (if nothing else) that the people at the top level at all the agencies involved in football in Scotland are inept at best or corrupt at worse.

So based on that, I can see the usual blundering for a couple of days, announcing an issue with the SRU or something else, and confirming the original decision.

I sincerely hope not, but given the people involved I await with interest.

Just now, Stewie Griffin said:

The way I see it the reason there is this whole mess in the first place is the SPFL rightly trying to help two Scottish teams out in Europe, now you would think those two teams would be happy with whatever stadium they are asked to play in on the Sunday rather than having to play the Thursday night in Europe and then a semi final the following weekend . If Celtic are not happy about having to play at Murrayfield on the Sunday then the SPFL should turn around and say to them fine you can have your game at Hampden but it’s a 12:30 Ko on the Saturday, 

Totally agree with this.

The game is being played on the Sunday to accomodate their Thursday night European game.

If they dont want to play at Murrayfield on the Sunday then like you say, the only other option is to play at Hampden on the Saturday.

They want their cake but want to eat it too.

3 minutes ago, Stewie Griffin said:

The way I see it the reason there is this whole mess in the first place is the SPFL rightly trying to help two Scottish teams out in Europe, now you would think those two teams would be happy with whatever stadium they are asked to play in on the Sunday rather than having to play the Thursday night in Europe and then a semi final the following Saturday  . If Celtic are not happy about having to play at Murrayfield on the Sunday then the SPFL should turn around and say to them fine you can have your game at Hampden but it’s a 12:30 Ko on the Saturday, 

Bang on the money Stewie......i said the same last night to Celtic supporting mate...following t up with "the size or your squad should handle that case anyway"

Just now, been here before said:

I am more than capable of seeing the bigger picture and the not so subtle nuances thanks, but I still find waiting for what should be a simple straigtforward decision very boring.

If you dont mind me saying.

I don't mind at all. :) The SPFL and "straightforward decisions" don't tread softly together. What makes this all interesting though is that the SFA/SPFL(SFL)/Celtic/Rangers cabal has had a stranglehold on Scottish football as far back as anyone can remember. They made a huge mistake with this one  though (no doubt due to the fact that the establishment mind-set is so strong that they genuinely thought there would be no complaints from anybody) and, for the first time in a long while, that cabal is being openly questioned. No, this is definitely popcorn time.

Lord Beni of Gorgie
11 minutes ago, Old Castle Rock said:

Lots more popcorn required for this farce. There's bound to be more nonsense, Chris Commons said Celtic should be allowed to play at Hampden because they are defending the trophy 

Only one of several set to embarrass themselves horribly

5 minutes ago, Spellczech said:

Lion Rampant is not national flag of Scotland it is the Royal flag of Scotland... Oops have I just begun a flags debate! Banned!

It's only becomes a flag debate if anyone argues with you. ;)

Hackney Hearts
3 minutes ago, Poseidon said:

"“In the interests of fairness this should be decided by some sort of draw. We understand that circumstances dictate the SPFL are acting without precedent where the semi final fixtures are concerned but it should not follow that our fans are inconvenienced and forced to travel to Edinburgh."

So the whole basis for Celtic's argument is the inconvenience of fans having to travel?  At a perfectly manageable time of day?

The Hearts/Celtic at Murrayfield option has the inconvenience of 2 sets of fans travelling.

The Hearts/Celtic at Hampden option has the inconvenience of 3 sets of fans travelling.

Case dismissed.

been here before
1 minute ago, redjambo said:

I don't mind at all. :) The SPFL and "straightforward decisions" don't tread softly together. What makes this all interesting though is that the SFA/SPFL(SFL)/Celtic/Rangers cabal has had a stranglehold on Scottish football as far back as anyone can remember. They made a huge mistake with this one  though (no doubt due to the fact that the establishment mind-set is so strong that they genuinely thought there would be no complaints from anybody) and, for the first time in a long while, that cabal is being openly questioned. No, this is definitely popcorn time.

Yeah.

Thanks for explaining all that to me...

Just now, been here before said:

Yeah.

Thanks for explaining all that to me...

My pleasure. I'm here any time you need me.

Lord Beni of Gorgie
10 minutes ago, Stewie Griffin said:

Take them out of the equation for a moment, scheduling semi finals after European competition, was stupidity in itself. I would have been annoyed if we had that scheduling, but you are correct, the rescheduling back to a Sunday is to help them so you would think rational equal people, would accept it.

The fantastic thing, we are now showing in all of our glory what our game is about and how it has been run and who for. Huge huge opportunity for people to get this out in the open, age of social media has changed the kick off times, social media can do the same for the inequality in general

Mark_Mywords

Ballot nonsense.  Police Scotland should be the ones that decide who plays where and when, once they have done their risk assessments properly this time and have talked to Scotrail.

21 minutes ago, RobboM said:

The fact that there was a contract in place designed to ensure that Rangers and Celtic neutral venue cup games be played at Hampden is, actually, scandalous.  While there is a suggestion that the location of the venue presents a sporting advantage, I'd suggest that it's all about money for ALL parties concerned in this contractual agreement.  It's the ground that will ensure that largest crowd for a game involving either of the A-Cheeks.  There would undoubtedly have been some patronising comment along the lines of whichever lesser team they were playing would also benefit from the income generated by a bigger crowd.  But at the end of the day it's just another example of the people who run our game running it for the financial benefit of only two of its members.  It really is about time the rest of teams grew a set and stopped worrying about what financial life would look like without the 'goodwill' of this pair.  That'll be the pair that would leap at the chance of joining the EPL if they were given the option.

35 minutes ago, scott herbertson said:

Have celtic given a reason for their request - I'd be interested to see how it was worded, and what their rationale is, given that there have never been draws for previous outside Glasgow venues?

"In the interests of fairness this should be decided by some sort of draw. We understand that circumstances dictate the SPFL are acting without precedent where the semi final fixtures are concerned but it should not follow that our fans are inconvenienced and forced to travel to Edinburgh."

2 hours ago, John Findlay said:

Sevens rugby was played at Ibrox during the Commonwealth Games.

Totally forgot about that. 

1 minute ago, Poseidon said:

"In the interests of fairness this should be decided by some sort of draw. We understand that circumstances dictate the SPFL are acting without precedent where the semi final fixtures are concerned but it should not follow that our fans are inconvenienced and forced to travel to Edinburgh."

Semi final venues have never been drawn but chosen. There’s been semi’s played at Tynecastle and ER in the past. These weren’t drawn but were decided after considering the best choice for each particular game. Why should this be any different?

2 minutes ago, Poseidon said:

Ok for everyone else to be inconvience to suit Celtics agenda. They should be told that if Murrayfield is not acceptable to them that the match will be arranged for Saturday 27th with a noon kick off. Fed up off this lot demanding that everyone should just sit back and give them what ever they want.

2 minutes ago, Poseidon said:

What a ridiculous statement. Other times are inconvenienced all the time by having to travel to Glasgow for cup semi finals and finals.

At least their fans would be able to travel to Edinburgh at a sensible time where there would be public transport running.

Asking Hearts fans to travel to Glasgow on a Sunday for a 7:45pm kick off is beyond unfair. It is absolutley ridiculous.

Ministry of Football

Reality here:

Based on history, if this is played at Hampden, we will have 10-15k supporters tops. 

If this is played at Murrayfield, we will have 25-30k.

Shanks said no
1 hour ago, jonnothejambo said:

:lol:  brilliant analogy.

Speaking of arseholes I heard Jim White on the Talksport comedy channel suggesting that the Hun and Aberdeen play at Tannadice.  :rofl:

I shit you not. The place probably holds about 16k. :rofl:

What a clown. 

He also said the 4 men in charge of the clubs need to get together and mentioned Tom Farmer rather than Hunter which summed up his in-depth knowledge of Scottish football

1 hour ago, luckydug said:

Let's just sit back and enjoy the fun if Celtic get their way.

The Rangers will go apeshit and the mugs at the SPFL will be hiding under the bed sheets to avoid the flak.?

I would put money on dates suddenly becoming available to have the matches on a seperate weekends at Hampden.

The SRU might actually refuse the use of Murrayfield (who can blame them ?) and save the SPFL from an OF turf war ☺

This is my prediction too.

Despite Doncaster previously saying it was 'impossible' to reschedule the games to any other day apart from the proposed weekend - I expect the level of impossibleness of doing so is probably considerably less than the chances of hell freezing over and them forcing Celtic to play in Edinburgh.

In some ways, that's a decision which would bring with it its own comical outcomes as you've said - The Rangers would be furious, Doncaster will be made to look even more of a clown than he already is (and that's going some), and anyone whos made plans around that weekend will need to rearrange them accordingly.

What Celtic really mean is that they don't want to have to be inconvenienced and travel to Edinburgh if Rangers don't have to do the same. Why, it's most unfair! Arses.

3 minutes ago, LewisR5-1 said:

Good game of ping pong this between everyone involved.

With emphasis on the pong.

2 minutes ago, redjambo said:

What Celtic really mean is that they don't want to have to be inconvenienced and travel to Edinburgh if Rangers don't have to do the same. Why, it's most unfair! Arses.

I actually don't think its really about that in honesty.

To me, its far more of an admission that they know fine well their opponents will be better backed at Murrayfield and that we'll be a stronger force there than we will at Hampden.

Celtic are, without actually saying it, admitting that they have an advantage over us at Hampden. That's why they are making such a fuss about it.

10 minutes ago, Erik said:

I actually don't think its really about that in honesty.

To me, its far more of an admission that they know fine well their opponents will be better backed at Murrayfield and that we'll be a stronger force there than we will at Hampden.

Celtic are, without actually saying it, admitting that they have an advantage over us at Hampden. That's why they are making such a fuss about it.

Correct. 

This is is what it’s about. Nothing more. 

scott herbertson
15 minutes ago, Poseidon said:

"Celtic will want to play at Murrayfield about as much as we wanted to play at Hampden so of course they’re going to chance their arm."

We were happy to play at Hampden at a decent date and time. Completely different to what Celtic have said;

They really gave that as their reason!?

The mind boggles - every side out of Glasgow is inconvenienced by this travel thing for every semi or final they attend. Just for once, Celtic fans might have to travel (at a convenient time no doubt) 40 miles and they whinge about it as though they are being terribly hard done by. It's clearly more about them losing their advantage of bigger 'home support' and familiarity with the ground.

sunblestjambo
52 minutes ago, Stewie Griffin said:

Excellent suggestion.  With all the hullabaloo I’d kinda forgotten that the move to Sunday was in order to help both Rangers and Celtic with their European recovery. 

Edited by sunblestjambo

Felix Lighter

We should get these guys over to conduct the draw, for transparency.