Appropriate photo...Welcome Home Edinburgh History

2759175F-A420-491F-A359-557C2904FAFF.jpeg

Sorry, didn’t say...Graham Street

1 hour ago, jambovambo said:

A Street near you - Great War deaths mapped by home address

Put your postcode into the search box :

A Street Near You

Fascinating.

I'll have to get the postal code for the East Preston Street area, I saw a page somewhere that had locals to that area who died in WW1.

Two were particularly interesting to me, one was a Lieutenant in the Scots Guards who lived in East Preston Street. It must have been a fairly well off area because even in these days Scots Guards officers had to have a connected background.

The second was a lady in South Oxford Street, she was on her own and owned a house, she was Mrs Christie, it befuddled us how she could be Mrs own a house and no huspand, in the same web page there was a soldier named Christie, who had died in the war. That woman had been a widow for many years, and probably was very young when it happened. I wish I had known, although I never treated her without respect would like to think as a wee boy I could have done something that would have shown kindness to her. Seventy years after the fact was a bit too late.

1 hour ago, Maple Leaf said:

Moved back to The Shed by popular demand.

What a great idea!!! :) 

You taking the credit for this, Ron?  Or was it some other genius?

:whistling: 

34 minutes ago, luckyBatistuta said:

Sorry, didn’t say...Graham Street

Where is Graham Street, Gabriel?

We are guessing Leith or near St. Leonards.

luckyBatistuta
10 minutes ago, Morgan said:

Where is Graham Street, Gabriel?

We are guessing Leith or near St. Leonards.

It’s off Newhaven road, just before Pitt street.

50 minutes ago, bobsharp said:

I'll have to get the postal code for the East Preston Street area, I saw a page somewhere that had locals to that area who died in WW1.

Two were particularly interesting to me, one was a Lieutenant in the Scots Guards who lived in East Preston Street. It must have been a fairly well off area because even in these days Scots Guards officers had to have a connected background.

The second was a lady in South Oxford Street, she was on her own and owned a house, she was Mrs Christie, it befuddled us how she could be Mrs own a house and no huspand, in the same web page there was a soldier named Christie, who had died in the war. That woman had been a widow for many years, and probably was very young when it happened. I wish I had known, although I never treated her without respect would like to think as a wee boy I could have done something that would have shown kindness to her. Seventy years after the fact was a bit too late.

Got the postal code, and checked the name it turned out to be Christy. KIA 1915, aged seventeen. now I am a bit confused but looking through the names it seems there were a number married young, possibly did so before they left for the front. Mrs Christy would have been I am sure too young to have a seventeen year old son, so I suspect the young soldier was her husband. I would speculate further that the home at 7 South Oxford Street was the home of the young soldiers family, and Mrs Christy now a widow stayed with them, and inherited the home later. Whatever it is interesting to see how many men from that Southside area died in WW1, it seems there were few streets that were  exempt from losses.

Its sort of funny in a way to think you ran about the same streets as these young men and they all perished in battle and people like me never even realised it. Lest We Forget is one thing, but you have to have known to forget.

A while ago there was a discussion about the location of Parker's Department Store, on Bristo Street.  That's it marked below.

parkers.jpg

The White Cockade

anybody got a picture from the William Thyne's at Sighthill  kids Christmas parties back in the 60's/70's

used to be great parties and I had a pic but can't find it now

3 hours ago, Morgan said:

What a great idea!!! :) 

You taking the credit for this, Ron?  Or was it some other genius?

:whistling: 

Only room for one genius on JKB and it sure ain't me.  :peepwall:

You'd better take a bow.  :pray:

Shanks said no
41 minutes ago, The White Cockade said:

anybody got a picture from the William Thyne's at Sighthill  kids Christmas parties back in the 60's/70's

used to be great parties and I had a pic but can't find it now

Image result for william thyne edinburgh

4 hours ago, luckyBatistuta said:

Appropriate photo...Welcome Home Edinburgh History

2759175F-A420-491F-A359-557C2904FAFF.jpeg

How did the people get the ropes from one side of the street to the other to hang the flags on?

I remember seeing these displays as a kid, but never saw the people actually putting them up.

Doctor FinnBarr
On 04/11/2018 at 23:29, bikerjambo said:

Killed this thread by moving it in here IMO

On 06/11/2018 at 13:09, Morgan said:

Agreed.

In fact, I only realised it was here when I went searching for it in the Shed to no avail, and started looking elsewhere.

On 07/11/2018 at 01:30, bikerjambo said:

C'Mon MODS, back into the Shed please, where everyone can seen it

48 minutes ago, Maple Leaf said:

Only room for one genius on JKB and it sure ain't me.  :peepwall:

You'd better take a bow.  :pray:

You're telling the wrong poster to take a bow Ron

:tt2:

Shanks said no

Image result for drumbrae roundabout 1960 

I am trying to remember what was in situ around 1970, on the right of this photo. Seem to remember a bloke had a market garden but was forced to sell to make way for progress and we ended up with a McDonalds. Could be dreaming this though.

Edited by The Frenchman Returns

5 minutes ago, The Frenchman Returns said:

Image result for drumbrae roundabout 1960 

I am trying to remember what was in situ around 1970, on the right of this photo. Seem to remember a bloke had a market garden but was forced to sell to make way for progress and we ended up with a McDonalds. Could be dreaming this though.

The comments on this Facebook page say there was a plant nursery there.

https://www.facebook.com/lostedinburgh/photos/drum-brae-south-and-glasgow-road-corstorphine-its-probably-just-a-lost-edinburgh/720032721387747/

Shanks said no
6 minutes ago, Lemongrab said:

Maybe I wasn't dreaming it then. Your link had a better res photo

Image may contain: sky, cloud and outdoor

All roads lead to Gorgie
1 minute ago, The Frenchman Returns said:

Ritz/ABC, Rodney Street, Edinburgh

Rodney St. Cannon Mills. 

luckyBatistuta
2 hours ago, luckyBatistuta said:

Meant to add where these locations are.

Caledonian Distillery, view across Duty Free Warehouse No.3

2 hours ago, luckyBatistuta said:

9F00F82E-4562-4A52-9B46-3F0B846F455F.jpeg

FE2443A0-E749-4A35-8A3A-33F73ECFEA2F.jpeg

View to the NE front of Easter Dalry House with the Caledonian Distillery chimney in the background.

Shanks said no

Image result for cammo house

I quote from elsewhere

Edinburgh is a city full of historical attractions and world famous festivals, a magnet for visitors from around the world. But away from the city, hidden amongst a 17th century landscape, lies Cammo Estate. It’s history far stranger than fiction. The ruined mansion was once home to the infamous last residents, the Maitland-Tennent family. Torn apart by divorce, feuds and financial scandal. A mansion filled with antiques, left to rot, open to the elements and thieves. This is Cammo, once home to the reclusive Black Widow.

Image result for cammo house

luckyBatistuta
1 hour ago, Maple Leaf said:

How did the people get the ropes from one side of the street to the other to hang the flags on?

I remember seeing these displays as a kid, but never saw the people actually putting them up.

Something I’d never thought of really, fireman’s ladder perhaps?

1 hour ago, bikerjambo said:

You're telling the wrong poster to take a bow Ron

:tt2:

Not the first mistake I've made on this thread.  :hammer:

I was the one who moved it into the Classics forum.  It had slipped to page three of The Shed and I didn't want it to disappear.  Back to Administrator school for me. :facepalm:

Doctor FinnBarr
55 minutes ago, Maple Leaf said:

Not the first mistake I've made on this thread.  :hammer:

I was the one who moved it into the Classics forum.  It had slipped to page three of The Shed and I didn't want it to disappear.  Back to Administrator school for me. :facepalm:

You'll get better with practice mate

:wattie:

2 hours ago, Maple Leaf said:

Fasten the rope at one window and drop it to the street. Drop a line from the window at the other side of the street, tie it to the rope and pull it up.

luckyBatistuta
1 minute ago, Lemongrab said:

Fasten the rope at one window and drop it to the street. Drop a line from the window at the other side of the street, tie it to the rope and pull it up.

JKB Official Clever Clogs 2019 :D

17 minutes ago, luckyBatistuta said:

JKB Official Clever Clogs 2019 :D

I thought it was pretty obvious. ?‍??

4 hours ago, Lemongrab said:

:loser:

Probably more likely than my theory of tying the rope to a bazooka shell and firing it from one house to another.

It was the end of the war, and there was lots of excess ordinance kicking about.

Windows in areas I workedin and where I was raised were essential in Edinburgh. Mothers hung out the upstairs windows and called their children in for meals, Washing was hung out on racks fitted with a pulley system, neighbour women conversed from the windows, entertainment in a non tv era was gained by looking out elbows on the sill seeing everything that was happening. Police incidents were well covered by these women, they were  known by some of us as windae vultures.

1 hour ago, bobsharp said:

Windows in areas I workedin and where I was raised were essential in Edinburgh. Mothers hung out the upstairs windows and called their children in for meals, Washing was hung out on racks fitted with a pulley system, neighbour women conversed from the windows, entertainment in a non tv era was gained by looking out elbows on the sill seeing everything that was happening. Police incidents were well covered by these women, they were  known by some of us as windae vultures.

96BE5C2F-1F31-48C5-AEFA-E13DEC0BDD39.jpeg

16 minutes ago, The Frenchman Returns said:

looks too continental, here's one that might have been on Bob's beat

4617884059_6abbea58f7_o.jpg

Much better! ?

luckyBatistuta

7 hours ago, Tazio said:

You and me both mate. 

Another smarty pants 

46 minutes ago, The Frenchman Returns said:

looks too continental, here's one that might have been on Bob's beat

4617884059_6abbea58f7_o.jpg

Looks like Buccleuch Street 

2 minutes ago, luckyBatistuta said:

Another smarty pants 

Looks like Buccleuch Street 

The only thing missing in that picture is me walking down the street trying to look important and only looking impotent. :jj_facepalm:

7 minutes ago, bobsharp said:

The only thing missing in that picture is me walking down the street trying to look important and only looking impotent. :jj_facepalm:

:lol:   Good one, Bob!

luckyBatistuta
15 minutes ago, bobsharp said:

Always wondered what all the ladies in all these old photographs were always doing sitting looking out their windows. Now I know...sitting drooling over bob in his uniform.

2 minutes ago, luckyBatistuta said:

Always wondered what all the ladies in all these old photographs were always doing sitting looking out their windows. Now I know...sitting drooling over bob in his uniform.

:lol: 

Until they found out he was impotent.