Edinburgh History

Maroon Sailor

luckyBatistuta
9 minutes ago, been here before said:

Westburn Gardens, blocks 1 and 2. The low white building is Toni's the chippy or to give it its sunday name, Tonys Roundhouse. Place was an absolute goldmine which the owner lost in a game of cards.

:thumb:

Been quite a few of the chippy owners had gambling problems over the years.

• Replies 19k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Maroon Sailor

• Radio Ga Ga

• luckyBatistuta

• ¼½¾

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

38 minutes ago, All roads lead to Gorgie said:

Raeburn Place where Scotland first played international matches from 1871 until Murrayfield was purchased in the 20s.

And what was Murrayfield before the SRU bought it? 

NB I know the answer, just throwing it out there. 

Shanks said no
5 minutes ago, Tazio said:

And what was Murrayfield before the SRU bought it? 

NB I know the answer, just throwing it out there. 

Polo fields?

Just now, The Frenchman Returns said:

Polo fields?

That's correct. There's an estate agents at my bus stop on the way home that has a big map on the wall of Edinburgh that I've stared at a few times. Obviously I checked out Tynecastle and it was there but Murrayfield is marked as Polo Fields on it. 

Edinburgh, always posh.

Shanks said no
9 hours ago, luckyBatistuta said:

Spot on, just can’t ever imagine that corner looking like that. It’s incredible how much has changed and you ju never think about what used to be there. The one that got me for this on here, was the building that was on the site of the Usher Hall. Throughout my life, I just always assumed it was the building that always stood there. This thread really opens your eyes to the history of our beautiful city.

Cheers mate, never seen that before. 

Here's one that I have never been able to get my head round

394b2955-dd89-442c-8ebc-184f8198ca9f.jpg

and how it looks now

a8eb3d48-5da1-4ef6-a923-4e420c5b8a8b.jpg

Shanks said no

b0a47bdd-c97d-4531-ad8c-4b279212e7e0.jpg

Port Hopetoun Canal Basin in 1920's - I have looked at it on maps before but first photo I have looked at

and now

well?

Edited by The Frenchman Returns

been here before
10 minutes ago, The Frenchman Returns said:

b0a47bdd-c97d-4531-ad8c-4b279212e7e0.jpg

Port Hopetoun Canal Basin in 1920's - I have looked at it on maps before but first photo I have looked at

and now

well?

The ABC or whatever it is these days on the corner of Lothian Road and Morrison Street.

Shanks said no
4 minutes ago, been here before said:

The ABC or whatever it is these days on the corner of Lothian Road and Morrison Street.

Correct

fdbc7270-d55c-4dc3-8b6f-7ec3cc2d1c75.jpg

1 hour ago, The Frenchman Returns said:

Here's one that I have never been able to get my head round

394b2955-dd89-442c-8ebc-184f8198ca9f.jpg

and how it looks now

a8eb3d48-5da1-4ef6-a923-4e420c5b8a8b.jpg

That’s a fantastic then and now picture ??

In the top picture the white horse is actually lucky batistuta waiting on a fare ?

luckyBatistuta
1 hour ago, 3fingersreid said:

That’s a fantastic then and now picture ??

In the top picture the white horse is actually lucky batistuta waiting on a fare ?

Staggering pictures, it’s like a completely different city looking at some of these. 

Aye right, says the old flogged horse that’s saddled up outside it every night ;)

That’s actually Trigger waiting for Roy Rogers to show up, he took his time ;)

7 hours ago, luckyBatistuta said:

Staggering pictures, it’s like a completely different city looking at some of these. 

Aye right, says the old flogged horse that’s saddled up outside it every night ;)

That’s actually Trigger waiting for Roy Rogers to show up, he took his time ;)

??

your right it’s a different city 

10 hours ago, The Frenchman Returns said:

f907d233-9087-47f8-9d1e-944412bf1a19.jpg

and now

0c839786-d4f7-4337-8b14-ef347cf85ca7.jpg

In both pics the building is the same. The later one just has the hotel added on top. 

While I can understand why Waverley became the choice for the main station, I can't help but think that keeping Princes St could have been the better way to go. The lines from Haymarket to Waverley run almost directly beneath, a lower level with through platforms, a smaller Waverley and retention of Leith Central might have made more sense - especially if we talk about suburban transport.

The Real Maroonblood
20 minutes ago, Toggie88 said:

In both pics the building is the same. The later one just has the hotel added on top. 

While I can understand why Waverley became the choice for the main station, I can't help but think that keeping Princes St could have been the better way to go. The lines from Haymarket to Waverley run almost directly beneath, a lower level with through platforms, a smaller Waverley and retention of Leith Central might have made more sense - especially if we talk about suburban transport.

Good points.

Unfortunately the people responsible for the railways didn’t have the foresight.

Don’t get me started about Beeching in the 60’s.

3 hours ago, The Real Maroonblood said:

Good points.

Unfortunately the people responsible for the railways didn’t have the foresight.

Don’t get me started about Beeching in the 60’s.

Ooft, deserves its own thread. 

Edinburgh would be a completely different place today had that never happened. Only 10/15 years previous to that they talked about linking Haymarket Goods Yard and St Leonards via an underground tunnel which would have run under the meadows. It was going to be for freight, but had it happened and survived Beeching then there's a good chance we'd have a 'Edinburgh Meadows/Tollcross' passenger station underground now. Which probably would've led to a greater concentration of offices and a business district in the Southside. 

Edited by Toggie88

Shanks said no

The view of Croall's Garage in the 50's

a21612d0-2be8-495f-8617-f2e73dbc1807.jpg

and the truly ugly monstrosities that replaced it on Castle Terrace

e3c7088d-1afe-4db5-9e5a-2596a130cffc.jpg

Shanks said no

Bowhead House on the Lawnmarket in the 1850's

c5577f7e-9061-4c93-ae8e-304b0c900de7.jpg

Which probably had to be replaced and for once it  fitted in

49891bff-8d76-4059-8054-8af44ebb4fbf.jpg

Montgomery Brewster
43 minutes ago, The Frenchman Returns said:

Then (around the 60's)

65ab43e1-33de-4d62-883c-e27a90f803f2.jpg

and Crichton Street now

99a11519-3274-4037-8cdc-232fd1f756fb.jpg

Absolutely scandalous what the council did to that part of the southside in preparation for the inner ring road that never materialised 

43 minutes ago, The Frenchman Returns said:

That photo brought me in mind of this one, which I'd seen, but couldn't find again when I went to look for it, until now, so thanks. 

bowhead.jpg

I know the William Low shops started out in Dundee, but could this be an early Edinburgh one, or just a coincidence with the name?

luckyBatistuta
7 hours ago, The Frenchman Returns said:

Which probably had to be replaced and for once it  fitted in

49891bff-8d76-4059-8054-8af44ebb4fbf.jpg

6 hours ago, Lemongrab said:

That photo brought me in mind of this one, which I'd seen, but couldn't find again when I went to look for it, until now, so thanks. 

bowhead.jpg

I know the William Low shops started out in Dundee, but could this be an early Edinburgh one, or just a coincidence with the name?

Can’t believe the length of that guy’s legs in the top picture.

On the bottom one, what does that say above William Low Grocers, is it on the wall, or is it something on the photograph itself?

15 minutes ago, luckyBatistuta said:

Can’t believe the length of that guy’s legs in the top picture.

On the bottom one, what does that say above William Low Grocers, is it on the wall, or is it something on the photograph itself?

Aye his legs are some length. :D

It seems to be the remains of a previous sign, or signs. Can't make it out though.

bow.png

luckyBatistuta
1 hour ago, Lemongrab said:

Aye his legs are some length. :D

It seems to be the remains of a previous sign, or signs. Can't make it out though.

bow.png

That’s what I was thinking, want to know what that it as well. Looks like there is an M and a KEL...you seeing that?

WorldChampions1902
On 31/01/2019 at 17:49, NANOJAMBO said:

Love this pic. It was the site of the original "Gymnasium". 

And here is the Gymnasium before St.Bernards moved in. 

IMG_0981.JPG

Shanks said no
4 hours ago, WorldChampions1902 said:

And here is the Gymnasium before St.Bernards moved in. 

IMG_0981.JPG

There is also a link to Gorgie as it was the brainchild of John Cox. He was part of the Cox family who had the glue factory on Gorgie Road

An illustration of the gymnasium from the Edinburgh Post Office Directory, 1868An illustration of the gymnasium from the Edinburgh Post Office Directory, 1868.

Edited by The Frenchman Returns

luckyBatistuta
On 31/01/2019 at 12:39, NANOJAMBO said:

can anyone tell me what the buildings are in left foreground and centre foreground (is that one the old prison) ?

That book cover is a thing of beauty. 

Here is another cracking image of what it once looked like.

072B57AA-2E2B-409E-A2D4-B5AE5DC55137.jpeg

50 minutes ago, luckyBatistuta said:

Photographs are by a guy called Robert Blomfield, he’s got an exhibition on at Market Street...free entry too.

Any idea where the second photograph is taken?

Link... https://www.edinburghmuseums.org.uk/whats-on/robert-blomfield-edinburgh-street-photography

DBCE08F3-A22C-439B-9CBA-D6DB327625B0.jpeg

D551571D-68F4-42B0-A33A-137B19AF5719.jpeg

According to the caption on the link you provided it says the Student Union at Teviot Row House. Guess that fits with the photographer's background. Great pic.

luckyBatistuta
36 minutes ago, ArcticJambo said:

According to the caption on the link you provided it says the Student Union at Teviot Row House. Guess that fits with the photographer's background. Great pic.

I maybe should have read it :lol::thumb:

On 30/01/2019 at 20:51, been here before said:

IMG_2036.thumb.JPG.05cf23ac2fd14c243f4f110fa6e9aefb.jpg.639dee9343f6ff1b9d37aba4f86d010f.jpg

Is it not the now demolished flats in Westburn?

Im a Calders boy and remember only once passing through on youthful travels.

From what I remember they were quite little known unless you were a local. I’m sure you couldn’t see them from the main road from the Wester Hailes Centre side and were hidden by the woods coming from the Calders angle.

1 hour ago, Debut 4 said:

Is it not the now demolished flats in Westburn?

Im a Calders boy and remember only once passing through on youthful travels.

From what I remember they were quite little known unless you were a local. I’m sure you couldn’t see them from the main road from the Wester Hailes Centre side and were hidden by the woods coming from the Calders angle.

I think you could see them from The Centre. This 1992 map of Wester Hailes shows a block beside the roundabout which was replaced by the current junction.

wh-community-map-1992.jpg

Edit:  Here's a photo.

westb.png

Edited by Lemongrab
Ermm... editing.

25 minutes ago, Lemongrab said:

I think you could see them from The Centre. This 1992 map of Wester Hailes shows a block beside the roundabout which was replaced by the current junction.

wh-community-map-1992.jpg

Edit:  Here's a photo.

westb.png

Good pic....I must be mistaken then.

I must be thinking from the perspective of coming from the Calders and through the school where the woods would partly hide the flats.

been here before
26 minutes ago, Debut 4 said:

Good pic....I must be mistaken then.

I must be thinking from the perspective of coming from the Calders and through the school where the woods would partly hide the flats.

Youre right about the woods. They were the unofficial border betwixt us in Westburn and the Calder ruffians.

There was also a small area of rocks down by the woods which we called the quarry. Provided us with ammunition to lob the way of any Caldershire interlopers who stuck their head around the treeline. 

Im having flashbacks like the 'nam here!

Edited by been here before

6 minutes ago, been here before said:

Youre right about the woods. They were the unofficial border betwixt us in Westburn and the Calder ruffians.

There was also a small area of rocks down by the woods which we called the quarry. Provided us with ammunition to lob the way of any Caldershire interlopers who stuck their head around the treeline. 

Im having flashbacks like the 'nam here!

?..........You lot we’re always ‘dug in’. It took a brave and lucky Calders interloper to reach the woods unscathed for a shot on the tarzan?

We were always fair game being exposed on the grit pitches as an assault was launched ?

Montgomery Brewster
9 hours ago, Maroon Sailor said:

IMG_2962.JPG

Great pic from an unusual angle. Most of these shots normally taken a wee bit along facing Parker’s 

Montgomery Brewster
9 hours ago, Maroon Sailor said:

IMG_2962.JPG

Great pic from an unusual angle. Most of these shots normally taken a wee bit along facing Parker’s