Top Posters In This Topic

• Maroon Sailor

• Radio Ga Ga

• luckyBatistuta

• ¼½¾

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

55 minutes ago, BarneyBattles said:

You forgot the hibs club before le vinyard!

Rightfully so!  :D  Tbh, don't remember that, couldn't have been for long.

Maroon Sailor
2 hours ago, Maroon Sailor said:

IMG_3015.JPG

I didn't recognise this street but have walked down it hundreds of times

Carl Fredrickson
7 hours ago, Maroon Sailor said:

IMG_3003.JPG

The old velodrome next to Meadowbank Stadium. Brown building at the rear is Meadowbank House. 

9 hours ago, Maroon Sailor said:

IMG_3007.JPG

The George picture house at Portobello?

When I was a kid I used to walk from Craigmillar to Portobello and back again with my brothers to watch the Saturday morning  matinee #happydays 

15 minutes ago, Australis...... said:

The George picture house at Portobello?

When I was a kid I used to walk from Craigmillar to Portobello and back again with my brothers to watch the Saturday morning  matinee #happydays 

So did we, we had relatives who lived in Portobello, can remember walking down past Duddingston Loch, it was a straight walk from our road (Craigmiller Castle Road), this was in the mid '60's.

Seymour M Hersh
20 hours ago, The Frenchman Returns said:

Although its North Berwick it was too weird a photo to ignore

h2.jpg

Its the The North Berwick Heinkel being taken to Edinburgh

el2.jpg

Shot down in 1940, only the 2nd enemy plane shot down on British soil, 

the Humbie Heinkel shot down by Flt Lt. Archie McKellar of 602 Squadron (city of Glasgow) who along with 603 squadron (city of Edinburgh) were scrambled to attack Heinkels making for Royal Navy ships in the Forth. It was the first German plane shot down in the first German raid within British airspace. 

jambo east anglia
5 hours ago, Maroon Sailor said:

IMG_3014.JPG

Looks like Fountainbridge.  Telephone Exchange extreme right, Ethicon, Bruno's (?) barber shop, Mackays sweet factory and then Mac's greengrocer at the top of Grove Street........I think !

9 hours ago, Lemongrab said:

I does look a bit like this view of Clovenstone.

4-clovenstone-1.jpg

I’ve been trying to find an old pic of the subway ,as you came out Wester Hailes Centre , that you would use if you lived in the Calders. No joy as yet.

Coming from the Calders and as you cut through the school you’d take a right just before the tunnel within the school grounds and walk up the path that led to the subway. 

On the centre side of the subway wall there was a graffiti saying which was there for donks but I can’t remember what it said?  

Im doing great eh? ?

Shanks said no
1 hour ago, Seymour M Hersh said:

the Humbie Heinkel shot down by Flt Lt. Archie McKellar of 602 Squadron (city of Glasgow) who along with 603 squadron (city of Edinburgh) were scrambled to attack Heinkels making for Royal Navy ships in the Forth. It was the first German plane shot down in the first German raid within British airspace. 

According to this the NB Heinkel was the 2nd, it was taken from North Berwick to Turnhouse

http://coastkid.blogspot.com/2013/11/the-north-berwick-heinkel.html

You are correct the Humbie one was the first

Humbie+Heinkel+L_tcm4-564472.jpg

The North Berwick Heinkel was the second enemy aircraft shot down on British soil of WW2, The first was also shot down on East Lothian soil, another Heinkel crash landed at Humbie  on October 28th 1939 having been shot down by Spitfires of 602 Squadron...

1 hour ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

So did we, we had relatives who lived in Portobello, can remember walking down past Duddingston Loch, it was a straight walk from our road (Craigmiller Castle Road), this was in the mid '60's.

We were Craigmillar Castle Avenue facing Craigmillar castle from the 60;s into the '70s

Wonderful times, always outdoors especially up the quarry and the Tarzan and roaming about the castle.

Kids don't leave their rooms now.

Maroon Sailor
1 hour ago, jambo east anglia said:

Looks like Fountainbridge.  Telephone Exchange extreme right, Ethicon, Bruno's (?) barber shop, Mackays sweet factory and then Mac's greengrocer at the top of Grove Street........I think !

It is Fountainbridge but you know the buildings and shops which I've got no idea about ! Well maybe the Telephone Exchange that seems to ring a bell

5 minutes ago, Australis...... said:

We were Craigmillar Castle Avenue facing Craigmillar castle from the 60;s into the '70s

Wonderful times, always outdoors especially up the quarry and the Tarzan and roaming about the castle.

Kids don't leave their rooms now.

We were in the last block on the left (Craigmillar Castle Road, No. 29 I think), which looking at google maps you'd be around the corner from us, which would mean your back green would border ours or you'd certainly be able to see the back of our house from yours.

The football fields were just over the road from us on the right, then a field then the castle, remember playing in it as a kid, I'd only be 5, 6 & 7, and yes was never indoors, always out playing, can remember if you went over the castle road there was a caravan park at Little France, had a relative who lived there, all gone now I think, at the bottom of our road at the junction of Niddrie Mains Road there was the doctors & dentist, doctor was called Dr. Luckton (or something similar sounding), I think the dental surgery is still there.

A lot is said about Craigmillar most of it not very good, but when I was there it was alright, yeh it was rough,but so was everywhere, and mostly in the '60's nobody bothered about us kids.

Kids of today have no idea how easy they have things, none of us, any of us had anything, we were all in the same boat, so to speak.

Moved out to the Borders in August '68 (I think it was August), I was 7 at the time.

P.S. Just remembered there used to be a Youth Club or something like that at the end of your road.

Went to Peffermill Primary for a couple of years between 1966 - 68.

2 hours ago, Debut 4 said:

I’ve been trying to find an old pic of the subway ,as you came out Wester Hailes Centre , that you would use if you lived in the Calders. No joy as yet.

Coming from the Calders and as you cut through the school you’d take a right just before the tunnel within the school grounds and walk up the path that led to the subway. 

On the centre side of the subway wall there was a graffiti saying which was there for donks but I can’t remember what it said?  

Im doing great eh? ?

I posted a plan/ map of the area a couple of days ago. On that, there's a subway shown just above the job centre. Is that the one?

13 minutes ago, Lemongrab said:

I posted a plan/ map of the area a couple of days ago. On that, there's a subway shown just above the job centre. Is that the one?

I looked back mate. I just spotted it where the taxi rank sign is at the front of the centre.

I was wrong earlier. The subway at the centre was on the same pathway as the subway that’s in the school, that goes under Wester Hailes Road.  ??

I've literally just found out about Gilmerton Cove but can't find much info on it, can anyone help?

Can't believe I've never heard of it before!

Carl Fredrickson
5 minutes ago, Smithee said:

I've literally just found out about Gilmerton Cove but can't find much info on it, can anyone help?

Can't believe I've never heard of it before!

You would drive by it without knowing it was there. I think you enter via what appears to be a cottage

http://www.gilmertoncove.org.uk/

https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Attraction_Review-g186525-d1909263-Reviews-Gilmerton_Cove-Edinburgh_Scotland.html

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gilmerton_Cove

Maroon Sailor
2 minutes ago, Montgomery Brewster said:

Tollcross

Yep

Earl Grey Street opposite Central Hall

Shanks said no
5 minutes ago, Carl Fredrickson said:

In addition here's a Scotsman article which also links to one in 1906

https://www.scotsman.com/200voices/innovators/gilmerton-cove/

As Toyah would say "its a mystery"

been here before
11 hours ago, Maroon Sailor said:

IMG_3012.JPG

That is the other side of one of the blocks from the picture I posted of Westburn Gardens a few pages ago taken just from the other side of Wester Hailes roundabout which isnt there anymore

The path on the right led down to the WHEC but if you followed it just a little further it would take you through the subway that led from the Calders that 

Debut 4 is looking for a picture of along the road which is in the picture on Murrayburn Drive that Maroin Sailor posted.

47 minutes ago, Carl Fredrickson said:

Thanks for that, I'll need to go and see it. I can't believe something like that exists in Gilmerton and today's the first I've heard - I love stuff like that!

It's been a mental day, I've also just found out that Perry Kitchen counts Zlatan as a team mate these days

:wtf:

Did not see that one coming!

gogsfaesydney
6 hours ago, Smithee said:

Thanks for that, I'll need to go and see it. I can't believe something like that exists in Gilmerton and today's the first I've heard - I love stuff like that!

It's been a mental day, I've also just found out that Perry Kitchen counts Zlatan as a team mate these days

Went there a couple of years ago when we were back on holiday. The entry is next door to I  think it was Ladbokes, cost about a fiver for the tour. Really intresting

Samuel Camazzola
8 hours ago, Smithee said:

:wtf:

It's opposite the Bingo Hall and around 30 yards from the Supperbowl. 

It was ranked as Edinburgh's #1 attraction a few years ago (ahead of the Castle and Botanic Gardens) and may still be. 

I still need to pay a visit to it myself after living near it for so long. 

9 hours ago, Maroon Sailor said:

IMG_3025.JPG

IMG_3026.JPG

The top picture is one I have been wanting to see for years, where the WHEC was built.

The picture does not really show how big the hill was (used to play there as a kid) and they must have needed hundreds of lorries to remove the spoil to allow the WHEC to be built.

In the second picture, that's the community centre I believe and was not built when I attended Sighthill PS (left in 1975 for high school)

On 04/02/2019 at 22:32, been here before said:

I imagine a lot of us will know this place but wont necessarily remember it...

2810038_c75bf020.jpg.e4ba222ce9f73e7444478361595f2abd.jpg

Did anyone say where this is?

14 hours ago, been here before said:

That is the other side of one of the blocks from the picture I posted of Westburn Gardens a few pages ago taken just from the other side of Wester Hailes roundabout which isnt there anymore

The path on the right led down to the WHEC but if you followed it just a little further it would take you through the subway that led from the Calders that 

Debut 4 is looking for a picture of along the road which is in the picture on Murrayburn Drive that Maroin Sailor posted.

bhb?

I’m probably wrong but, is that near where Bowen’s. used to be?

been here before
8 minutes ago, Morgan said:

bhb?

I’m probably wrong but, is that near where Bowen’s. used to be?

Not sure. Who or what was Bowens?