• Radio Ga Ga

• luckyBatistuta

• ¼½¾

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

been here before
50 minutes ago, Maroon Sailor said:

IMG_2036.thumb.JPG.05cf23ac2fd14c243f4f110fa6e9aefb.JPG

That Toni's chippy (or Roundhouse to guve it its Sunday name) in Westburn Gardens with blocks I on the left and 2 on the right. Behind the photographer would be the first stair in block 7.

All roads lead to Gorgie

Looking through this whole thread makes you realise how much industry and working class housing have been lost in Edinburgh as more and more is given over to offices and expensive homes! 

It is a different place to how it was when I was growing up, in some cases for the better but not always!

On 18/09/2018 at 10:04, NANOJAMBO said:

M&G had a social club in a basement at Canonmills. It made the Winchester Club look like Vegas. That defo wasn't crumpet central.?

Had many a pint in there, we called it "Saddams Bunker".

11 minutes ago, kawasakijambo said:

Had many a pint in there, we called it "Saddams Bunker".

I'm amazed at how many JKBers have been in that place because I remember it as being full of Hobos. 

1 hour ago, Maroon Sailor said:

IMG_2855.JPG

I used to drink in there if Friday was a pay day. I thought it was full of nutters, and then I went to the Gauntlet . Once. 

14 minutes ago, NANOJAMBO said:

This is grim. Where is/was it ?

I don't know where it is but looks pretty normal from my childhood. Laddies all in shorts, that was 365 days a year. Lots of happy memories of these austere looking times.

6 hours ago, Maroon Sailor said:

IMG_2030.JPG

29 minutes ago, NANOJAMBO said:

This is grim. Where is/was it ?

It's St John's Hill, off the Pleasance.  

Seymour M Hersh
42 minutes ago, Maroon Sailor said:

IMG_2053.JPG

Watson Crescent from Harrison Park? Looks a bit like North Merchie's clubhouse to the left of the flats?

Carl Fredrickson
49 minutes ago, SUTOL said:

Harrison Park. 

And yes, the path is still visible on Google earth!

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@55.9347259,-3.2244324,144m/data=!3m1!1e3

I remember playing a game their in the early 80s and the ref had to stop the game to allow an old women to walk by with a couple of bags of shopping!

Carl Fredrickson
1 hour ago, Lemongrab said:

It's St John's Hill, off the Pleasance.  

I thought I recognised it and was looking at Drummond Street. I had never heard of St John's Hill so checked it on Google maps - unrecognisable! 

1 hour ago, SUTOL said:

Harrison Park. 

Don't remember the path, but I am sure I have scars left from the cinder pitches there. Greatest memory from that park was hearing the crowd roar at a Wullie Bauld goal. After the game I think it was East Fife went to tynecastle and got in free after the gates had been opened after half time.

Notice how the road bends round under the the railway bridge. Now it's a junction and straight ahead for the West Approach Road

IMG_2872.JPG

2 hours ago, SUTOL said:

Harrison Park. 

On that picture, just up from the football pitches, there's an area of rougher looking ground, to the right of the kid's playground. Do you know if that's where the cycle track was? You can see outlines in the grass.

1 hour ago, Lemongrab said:

On that picture, just up from the football pitches, there's an area of rougher looking ground, to the right of the kid's playground. Do you know if that's where the cycle track was? You can see outlines in the grass.

I don't know anything about a cycle track in Harrison Park, but can see what you mean from the image. It does look like i could have been. 

I'm trying to recall what the fenced off area was previously, was it a bowling green? 

1 hour ago, SUTOL said:

I don't know anything about a cycle track in Harrison Park, but can see what you mean from the image. It does look like i could have been. 

I'm trying to recall what the fenced off area was previously, was it a bowling green? 

It was this photo I was thinking of.  The tenements look kind of close, but maybe they've been foreshortened by the camera.

0_around_edinburgh_-_harrison_park_flick

2 hours ago, Superunknown said:

Is that craigour Grove

Wow, they look like it mate, they're the same post war Orlit prefabs as the ones in Saughton Mains Gardens, and the layout is pretty similar.  However, if you look at the houses in that photo, they have two wee windows on the the ground floor of gable end.  The Orlits in Craigour Grove's gable ends have an upstairs and a downstair window.  I didn't think there were so many of that house type in Edinburgh.